Sunday Train: Taking That High Speed Train in Georgia

Feb 9, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Kos

A high speed rail line between Columbus and Atlanta would cost between $1.3-$3.9 billion over the next 20 years to build, but once up and running would more than pay for its operations and maintenance, a consultant said today.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Feb 15, 2014

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#1 Feb 13, 2014
I can remember stories of folks who took the train to Atlanta back in the 1930s-1850s, and often wondered why such an era had to just end like it did. At least the future generations will be able to enjoy such a boost to their lives if this can get approved and begun.
Taxi service

Dublin, GA

#2 Feb 13, 2014
I am sure the Federal Government and the state of Georgia have such a surplus of money that they need to spend it on something.
Federal Gov: 17.3 Trillion in debt
State of Georgia: Teacher furloughs, no money for road repair, State park closures, etc.

High Speed Train is a stupid idea now

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#3 Feb 13, 2014
Taxi service wrote:
I am sure the Federal Government and the state of Georgia have such a surplus of money that they need to spend it on something.
Federal Gov: 17.3 Trillion in debt
State of Georgia: Teacher furloughs, no money for road repair, State park closures, etc.
High Speed Train is a stupid idea now
Yes, where they fouled up was about 50 years ago when they ended the existing passenger train services here and across America... if they'd kept these in place they could have evolved over time and would be accessable right now.

And so it goes.

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 15, 2014
It ended because there wasn't enough passengers and the railroad companies were losing money, we Americans love our automobiles and the freedom it brings.
Remember when Delta had regular flights out of Columbus? Same situation.
A company has to make money to continue to offer the service or stay in business, you should be well aware of that from your experience at Parnello's.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#5 Feb 15, 2014
Jim R Pickens wrote:
It ended because there wasn't enough passengers and the railroad companies were losing money, we Americans love our automobiles and the freedom it brings.
Remember when Delta had regular flights out of Columbus? Same situation.
A company has to make money to continue to offer the service or stay in business, you should be well aware of that from your experience at Parnello's.
Well you have a great point, the trains can't rub for free.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solar-Powered Benches Coming to Parks throughou... Jul '14 Petal Power 2
Minneapolis considers ways to get North Side ro... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Seattle Spew 43
Occupy Boston targets elites (Oct '11) Oct '11 Dane Thorsen 2
Washington Considers Cutting Razorback Greenway... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Agitator 2
Marin Voice: Unveiling the Northgate promenade (Apr '10) Jul '10 Marin Jim 4
•••
•••

Greenway Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Greenway People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE