Review: Doran Model & Talent Agency

Posted in the Georgetown Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Laura

Alexandria, VA

#1 Mar 13, 2011
Most helpful even gave me a portfolio case.....
Jade

Germantown, MD

#2 Apr 17, 2011
The owner, Dorothy Brooks, was EXTREMELY unprofessional towards me and I have all the emails to prove it. If you're interested in this agency, look elsewhere or feel free to contact me for more information. This agency can not be trusted whatsoever. When speaking with Dorothy over email and phone, many things said were untrue and she will mislead you to try to sucker you into joining the agency. Any legit company would not ask for money upfront and this agency will; so do some research on the internet about the industry and you will see that they should never request you to spend hundreds of dollars to be accepted into their agency if they are truly interested in you. Just like any professional job out there, once you are one of their models, everything work-related is paid for such as training and in the same respect, an agency who is truly there to help the model succeed in the business as well as allowing their own business to succeed will see that getting a comp card / portfolio done for the model is an investment that will pay off in the long-run. Not only that, my very FIRST phone conversation with her, she was very rude and very unprofessional throughout the entire time... she was very manipulative towards me in her language thinking that since I am a new model coming in to the industry, she could talk down to me and drop F* bombs with a combination of many other foul words to try to recruit me into her agency. After that, she sent me so many emails where I felt harassed and would not stop emailing me making personal attacks against me based off of information I had told her prior saying nasty things like "no other agency would even look at you". Think again, if you are considering this agency, DON'T. I guarantee that if she has the audacity to treat someone who has never even MET her, is very educated, very professional, and has expressed serious interest in the business with absolutely NO RESPECT, then this is how she, being the owner (CEO), chooses to represent her company, DORAN MODELS INTERNATIONAL. Don't ever settle for them even if you are looking for jobs and just starting out like me.
Laura Siegel

Alexandria, VA

#3 May 12, 2011
Jade wrote:
The owner, Dorothy Brooks, was EXTREMELY unprofessional towards me and I have all the emails to prove it. If you're interested in this agency, look elsewhere or feel free to contact me for more information. This agency can not be trusted whatsoever. When speaking with Dorothy over email and phone, many things said were untrue and she will mislead you to try to sucker you into joining the agency. Any legit company would not ask for money upfront and this agency will; so do some research on the internet about the industry and you will see that they should never request you to spend hundreds of dollars to be accepted into their agency if they are truly interested in you. Just like any professional job out there, once you are one of their models, everything work-related is paid for such as training and in the same respect, an agency who is truly there to help the model succeed in the business as well as allowing their own business to succeed will see that getting a comp card / portfolio done for the model is an investment that will pay off in the long-run. Not only that, my very FIRST phone conversation with her, she was very rude and very unprofessional throughout the entire time... she was very manipulative towards me in her language thinking that since I am a new model coming in to the industry, she could talk down to me and drop F* bombs with a combination of many other foul words to try to recruit me into her agency. After that, she sent me so many emails where I felt harassed and would not stop emailing me making personal attacks against me based off of information I had told her prior saying nasty things like "no other agency would even look at you". Think again, if you are considering this agency, DON'T. I guarantee that if she has the audacity to treat someone who has never even MET her, is very educated, very professional, and has expressed serious interest in the business with absolutely NO RESPECT, then this is how she, being the owner (CEO), chooses to represent her company, DORAN MODELS INTERNATIONAL. Don't ever settle for them even if you are looking for jobs and just starting out like me.
This is a perfect example of someone that knows nothing about the model industry and I can tell has been rejected by most ofthe agenices, there are only a chosen few that make top models thre rest give the agencies aggravation, hard for the agents we have to turn down so many people all the time and they get mad, sorry, find another career and get informed about the Model Industry before causing problems and lies.....
Laura Siegel

Alexandria, VA

#4 May 12, 2011
This is a perfect example of people that have know knowledge of the modeling industry AND that they are mad that they are NOT model material, they cause problems and need mental help, the world is full of girls that want to model but dont have the look this industry is for a CHOSEN FEW, the girl that wrote this was given a great job by our comapny she is VERY UNGREATFUL I am quite sure that her life is full of trouble and that she looks to cause problems for others, our company has been open for 18 years and we have a great reputation the old saying, You can please all of the people all of the time, she needs to seek help
Laura
Javad Osivand

Mclean, VA

#5 Aug 6, 2011
Showed up to take the photos outside with no equipment except two cameras (one didn't work) and a bunch of clothes and make up contained in her messy and unorganized vehicle. When she opened the door the stuff was literally falling out. She rushed and after only 20 minutes she said she had everything she needed and charged me before even showing me the photos. Two days later she emailed me a few photos in a low quality file format and they were terrible. I asked for a refund and she refused and became very belligerent in email conversation going so far as to say I "need to learn how to get along in America." My skin is dark and my name is "strange," so I must not be American to her even though I was born and raised here.

No talent, no class, and unprofessional. Seek someone else for your photography needs.
Javad Osivand

Mclean, VA

#6 Aug 6, 2011
Jade wrote:
You aren't the only one who has had issues with Dorothy. If you look around online you'll find a more people who have complained about her, but no one has formally complained about her. If you're upset then DO something about it. Stand up for yourself. Since you live in MD you can start by going here http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint... and filing a complaint with state of MD. Then go here http://tinyurl.com/dccomplaintform and file a complaint with DC. Then go here http://tinyurl.com/3umrx5u to file with the better business bureau. Go to small claims court too if you still can't resolve your issues. If people like you or I just lie down and take this crap from her, she's just going to keep doing it.

Since: Aug 11

Alexandria, VA

#7 Aug 9, 2011
Offered a model booking the first day I joined the agency was a blast fashion show, wonderful woman also received the best headshots I have ever had done,l she was warm and made me feel so comfortable, also very funny and knowledgable about the industry......
Markone

Alexandria, VA

#8 Aug 9, 2011
Took my son for pictures and to register we recieved the most gorgeous shots I have ever seen of son, we went to several locations 4 agencies have signed him since the photo shoot, Dorothy was the best person I did not have much like finding a local photographer that was reasonable, I learned so much about the business in the east coast area, she has a speacial quality that I really liked and my son warmed up to her so we got the nicest pictures,highly recommended..
Mystic

Alexandria, VA

#9 Aug 9, 2011
This person has emotional problems the agencys we wary of him....
Mystic

Alexandria, VA

#10 Aug 9, 2011
Dorothy is the best agent in this city this man Javad is trouble be wary of working with him, I dont think he gets along well
Farenhite

Alexandria, VA

#11 Aug 10, 2011
Spent a fabulous day working on my Portfolio with Dorothy amazing very talented loved the makeup and hair I am finally ready to start my new career as a fashion model, love all the pictures a great variety, I learned so much about the business I did not know from castings to unions..
Pigboy Crabshaw

Chestertown, MD

#12 Oct 30, 2011
Jade wrote:
She has not changed one bit since I knew her back in the 80's. She was kicked out of her apartment in Adams Morgan, found a new place and started her "business". She would charge new people up front to "build a portfolio". Reading these posts about her foul language cracks me up. Haven't talked to her since Reagan's first term but to this day she's one of the toughest women I've known. Gritty and street tough. Were she a man, she would be a Boston Irish street ganger from the 40's or 50's. Old school tough.
BDB

Reston, VA

#13 Dec 18, 2012
She got me 2 days minor acting job in September 2012 and still will not pay me. She first lied about not having rec'd the payment from the production company, then finally admitted to that but still refuses to pay me. Her excuse is that she has no money and is behind in her bills. I will never trust her again.
Adriana

Odenton, MD

#14 Dec 29, 2012
I have been doing promotional modeling for quite some time. All of the other agencies I've worked with have been super professional. Making sure the correct rate was known, confirming with each model. Not through another model. If they needed someone they would ask for recommendations from those models, and made sure the recommendees information was in the database.

I was going through a friend for this and the owner would not quite say what the rate was, and when I finally spoke to her the day before the promotion she was incredibly rude and talked down to me as if I had, had no experience, and was dumb as a rock. She said they were looking for a Chanel look, very sophisticated, etc. She implied that I was not like that, which was very off kilter, having never met me before.

There are other agencies out there, that are very professional, that will treat you with respect if you are new to them . I was talking to the owner, and she made it very clear that she lacked poise, etiquette, and professionalism.
SDC

Washington, DC

#15 Jan 16, 2013
Dorothy Brooks is a criminal. She stole $1,000 from me. She never paid me for a 2-day acting job. Her tactics are disgusting as is she. I pray that her karma catches up with her and that she gets everything that she deserves in life.

She really should change her last name to Crooks - or at least -that's what I call her. I sometimes call her a monster as well.
Elizabeth

Springfield, VA

#16 Mar 11, 2013
Hired for an industrial film was paid the same day have worked several jobs since, very nice group of agents, Dorothy worked hard for over 24 years, go girl
Jilain

Springfield, VA

#17 Mar 11, 2013
Old world style agency love the photography I received, worked 2 fashion shows, much fun....
Jilain

Springfield, VA

#18 Mar 11, 2013
This is definately not true .......
Jilain

Springfield, VA

#19 Mar 11, 2013
I don't know ho these people are but I have worked for Dorothy for a year and never had a problem, business's change and grow some other agents I did not like as much!!
Jilain

Springfield, VA

#20 Mar 11, 2013
This foreign man could not be more wrong, this is weird he is trouble.....Other agents do not hire this man

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Victims mourned in D.C. slaying were 'a beautif... 4 hr American_Infidel 1
News Parents Left Kids for Wine Tasting Mar '15 fedupwiththemess 1
News Gay Iraq war vet: From homeless to activist Mar '15 Gremlin 4
News Daycon Strike Wears On (Jun '10) Mar '15 Blackmail 23
News Protesters plan to be outside court for Georget... Feb '15 fedupwiththemess 3
News Mother and father charged with abandoning toddl... Feb '15 fedupwiththemess 6
News Scholars rank Kerry dead last in terms of effec... Feb '15 Arn85578 1
More from around the web

Georgetown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]