Proud of Morgan County School System!

Proud of Morgan County School System!

Posted in the Wartburg Forum

Proud

Duluth, GA

#1 Nov 11, 2012
Glad they did this!

Morgan County unveils school buses fueled by natural gas and propane

WARTBURG (WATE)- Students in Morgan County are the first in the state of Tennessee to ride school buses powered not by gasoline, but by natural gas and propane.

Morgan County Schools unveiled three new buses Saturday that run on these alternative fuels.

They say it's better for children's health, and for the school system's wallet as well.

The buses look like any old yellow school bus on the outside, but it's what's inside their fuel tank that makes them very different.

Two are fueled by propane, the other one by natural gas.

They joined Morgan County School's fleet just this school year.

"They've been on the road since August, and we're using these all across the county," said Morgan County Schools Director Edd Diden.

"They're a pacesetter for Tennessee. We're going to see other districts starting to use natural gas and propane in their school buses," said East Tennessee Clean Fuels Coalition Executive Director Jonathan Overly.

The East Tennessee Clean Fuels Coalition helped the school system to implement the new buses.

They began looking into it about five years ago, concerned for the health of bus riders.

"School buses are unique vehicles because you can end up with more of the emissions that come off the engine in the bus rather than out of the tailpipe," said Overly.

They wanted a cleaner, healthier way to transport students.

"Those natural gas buses are about a 90 percent reduction in particulate matter, so the kids that ride those buses get a huge benefit," said Overly.

The Knox family, whose son, Logan, has ridden a Morgan County school bus for the last four years, came out Saturday to take a look at his new ride.

"As a parent, it's relieving. Just to know that my child will not only be safer on this bus, but it's also better for the environment," said Jennifer Knox, of Wartburg.

"Students aren't the only ones benefiting from these alternative fuel buses.

Bus drivers say these new buses are much quieter than the traditional ones, which helps them stay more aware of what's going on behind them on their way to and from school.

"The diesel engine is right up beside you, and it's hard to hear the kids, or what the kids are doing in the back. This one's very quiet, and you can hear what's going on your bus," said Melissa Duncan, a bus driver with Morgan County Schools.

This new innovation came with a price tag.

The buses cost nearly $34,000 more than traditional buses.

In the long run, the school system hopes to not only make up the difference, but save even more money on top of that.

"We think we can recoup that difference in fuel savings in less than five years," said Diden.

Diden says he's already received calls from other school systems across the state, interested in using alternative fuel buses and asking for his advice.

They hope to use these new buses for at least the next 15 years.

They also want to purchase more of them over the next few academic years.

http://www.wate.com/story/20062203/morgan-cou...
anonymous

Huntsville, TN

#2 Nov 11, 2012
Hey we did some thing right for once! Yay
worried

Denver, NC

#3 Nov 11, 2012
sounds good till one of them blows up with all that fuel stored onboard.
That one

Sunbright, TN

#4 Nov 12, 2012
worried wrote:
What the hell do you think your minivan runs on? Gasoline makes a pretty big bang too.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#5 Nov 13, 2012
worried wrote:
It is so hard to find a mode of transportation that's safer than walking, or one that's healthier for that matter.

Until we do, I guess we'll all just have to take the risk of blowing up, burning alive, being crushed, getting decapitated, or being injured in some way by our vehicles.

Funny thing is, I was taught as a child to be watchful and cautious of those things that could injure/kill me, and that it was my responsibility to be safe, not someone else's or the government's. The funny thing is how this paradigm has changed in the past 50 years.
monkeywrench

Oneida, TN

#6 Nov 15, 2012
sounds like the dictator wants more publicity,how are you dr. bend over so"s everyone can kiss you!!!one question?? is it all females that got new busses. come back.
mc news

Robbins, TN

#7 Dec 12, 2012
wow! did the dictator wake up or what? yes you should put the most fuel efficient bus on the longest route in the county instead of the shortest route,and don"t forget about the safety of the children! if these new buses are so safe shouldn"t the kids that have to ride for over an hour be on the new buses..... But this would be alot to ask of the stupidvisor because he would have to change the bus numbers or different numbers on routes.thats just to much siffering for old hornytoad......wake up board members this is the Root of the problem.an old root in wartburg!!!!and ps. if anyone would investigate the situation you might find out more than you want to know!
lol

United States

#8 Dec 12, 2012
the cynic in me has to wonder which local good-old-boy profits from the switch and how. Who's selling them the propane? There's always a catch.
add to the list

Huntsville, TN

#9 Dec 16, 2012
It is good that this happened. But this system has many problems that strt at the top. We have a school (CMS) where they don't have a principal but a jr. didtator. The Dictator is more worried about policy than school chidren, the teachers and the staff. We have people at the front office that do nothing but are paid for it. It is time for a change.
xxx

Sunbright, TN

#10 Dec 18, 2012
are bus drivers still told to write there pre-trip inspections in pencil ??? go figure.
Cynical

Huntsville, TN

#11 Dec 18, 2012
lol wrote:
the cynic in me has to wonder which local good-old-boy profits from the switch and how. Who's selling them the propane? There's always a catch.
Read the article? The Kilbys are profiting.
lol

Harriman, TN

#12 Dec 18, 2012
TADA! No I didn't see that but it doesn't take a genius to know how this town works.
Proud

Lancing, TN

#13 Dec 25, 2012
mc. looking for a new supervisor of transportation?whatabout that?? bet it will be a diden or kin folks!!!! wanta make a wadger?$$$
add to the list

Huntsville, TN

#14 Dec 27, 2012
That's what it makes it sad. THere are good people in our Wartburg Schools that have to for Myrna Mussoline. She is the worst in the system and most of her teachers cannot stand her. It's the same thing with Diden. Moral at the elementary school is so low that the end of the world would be a relive. It's time for a lot of changes in our Wartburg Schools.
Alternative Farts

Wartburg, TN

#15 Dec 29, 2012
Hell yeah peeps.
Liar

Lancing, TN

#16 Dec 29, 2012
sure am glad to hear how mr.armes pushed so so hard to get alternative fuels. "quote" mc news.always looking out to save taxpayers money???ha,ha,ha, ask board members how much he wanted alt. fuels. i"ll take the truth over his own opion of himself???????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wartburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hannah sexton 44 min anonymous 7
Missing Man Oakdale 1 hr Question 17
prom dress at racetrack 7 hr GetGotitGood 3
Psychic 7 hr GetGotitGood 4
Wartburg in the news again Sat Hope 2
Justin Beard (May '11) Sat Channel 6 news 18
Snitches, tatle tales and misanthropes. Apr 29 Ringmaster 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wartburg Mortgages