White House to Scrap Bush's Approach ...

White House to Scrap Bush's Approach to Missile Shield

There are 35 comments on the www.nytimes.com story from Sep 17, 2009, titled White House to Scrap Bush's Approach to Missile Shield. In it, www.nytimes.com reports that:

The Obama administration plans to announce on Thursday that it will scrap former President George W. Bush 's planned missile defense system in Eastern Europe and instead deploy a reconfigured system aimed more at intercepting shorter-range Iranian missiles, according to people familiar with the plans.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nytimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Les Claypool

United States

#1 Sep 17, 2009
How about we just scrap it all, bring our troops home and let the American haters protect themselves?
gossamer

Roseville, MI

#2 Sep 17, 2009
What a dumb ass Obama is. I try to like this guy but he won't let me no matter what.
CHECK SIX

Sarasota, FL

#3 Sep 17, 2009
Its Called "KISSING PUTIN'S ASS".....So much for Profiles in courage......

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#4 Sep 17, 2009
CHECK SIX wrote:
is ANYONE surprized?

can't wait to see how he handles the request for 30,000 more troops in afganistan!
hoboken

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Sep 17, 2009
Considering that there were no commercial planes on 9-11 and that the US government, military, and military owned US media outlets conspired to lie about the "planes" of 9-11.....you would think THAT would bring our soldiers home? Though why would a blatant lie end a war? The same people that brought you the "planes" of 9-11 brought you the murderous lies of WMD's in Iraq. The never ending global US war on a strategy known as terror has killed over 5 million+ people and counting BASED ENTIRELY on a lie.

There were no commercial planes on 9-11. Enjoy the "reconfigured missiles" which means nothing more than rearrange to kill Iranians?
obama carter

Boynton Beach, FL

#6 Sep 17, 2009
CHECK SIX wrote:
So far, obama has bent over for Russia, for Red China, for North Korea, and for Iran. obama models his presidency after jimmy carter and is determined to return America to weakness and failure. A weak economy and a weak military were the hallmarks of jimmy carter. We don't need to return to those days but obama is taking us there surely and deliberately.

“Can't we all get along”

Since: Feb 08

Laurel

#9 Sep 17, 2009
Why would the three branches of our government give a lick about defending the country? They get whisked off to safety and ordinary citizens suffer the consequences should something happen. Remember, no good crisis should go to waste.
Personally I would prefer my tax dollars be spent on a missile defense that works rather than Section 8er's living in my neighborhood paid for by the government who don't.
Il Brutto

Torrance, CA

#10 Sep 17, 2009
CHECK SIX wrote:
Ummm...that was JFK.
Il Brutto

Torrance, CA

#13 Sep 17, 2009
Michelles Deformed Eye wrote:
Could we expect anything more from the yellow,spineless,liberal cowards who piss themselves at any confrontation?
A simple minded response from the simple minded.
BTW-Do you really think conservative have cornered the market on courage? Can you say "deferment"? That was a popular word with Limbaugh and Cheney about forty years ago.
Chicago Guy

Winnetka, IL

#14 Sep 17, 2009
This was the right call.

It will only be criticized by the hyper-partisan and the brain dead.

The missile shield did not have true strategic value. Robert Gates (a Bush appointee) said:“Those who say we are scrapping missile defense in Europe are either misinformed or misrepresenting the reality of what we are doing,” Mr. Gates said. He added that the new configuration “provides a better missile defense capability” for Europe and American forces there “than the program I recommended almost three years ago.”

This move will get the defenses against Iran up three years earlier, improve relations with Russia (after all, would we let Russia build such a shield in Cuba?), and SAVE AMERICA BILLIONS.

All these idiots bitching about healthcare don't seem to have any problem with an endless (& unquestioned) budget for "defense", do they???
whadja think

Studio City, CA

#15 Sep 17, 2009
Need to hear why the US should put a missile defense shield in europe?

Isn't it up to those countries, the EU, to make sure that each country's sovereignity is not violated?

Wouldn't be in the EU best interest to monitor these situations instead of the US?

Does the USA have to protect these countries?

Just like to read some opinions from posters.
Richard

Erie, PA

#16 Sep 17, 2009
Confirms that the US is a walk over with Obama in charge.
whadja think

Studio City, CA

#17 Sep 17, 2009
Il Brutto wrote:
<quoted text>A simple minded response from the simple minded.
BTW-Do you really think conservative have cornered the market on courage? Can you say "deferment"? That was a popular word with Limbaugh and Cheney about forty years ago.
Sorry, don't think Obama served anything but himself. Did anybody in the Obama White House serve this country?

Know that Rahm Emanuel, Obama's Chief of Staff, ran and served Israel in the War. Though he only got to repair brakes; he never served the US forces. His loyalties are CLEARLY for what is best for Israel. I find Emanuel's lack of military service to the US and military service to Israel SHOCKING.

Rahm Emanuel is Israel's man, not America's man.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#18 Sep 17, 2009
the missile shield was a dumb (bush!) idea... it wouldn't work, and just incited the Russians... like we can afford that. Talk and diplomacy is much cheaper and safer than war
Coffee smells good

Denver, CO

#19 Sep 17, 2009
We alienated some of our strongest allies (Eastern Europe countries) with this announcement.

Are the wack-job liberals going to start complaining about how we're no longer respected in those countries?
CHECK SIX

Sarasota, FL

#20 Sep 17, 2009
The Polish and the Czechoslovakia!people just go scewed.......They went out being tough supporting Bush for this,Even Gates ,convincing them to , supporting the USA,in this...now they have to take crap from Russia!..Even tho they are NATO members,they now do not trust ,this SHAKA ZULU Tent Queen!.....Who Would!.......YUCK!!
Il Brutto

Torrance, CA

#21 Sep 17, 2009
CHECK SIX wrote:
The Polish and the Czechoslovakia!people just go scewed.......They went out being tough supporting Bush for this,Even Gates ,convincing them to , supporting the USA,in this...now they have to take crap from Russia!..Even tho they are NATO members,they now do not trust ,this SHAKA ZULU Tent Queen!.....Who Would!.......YUCK!!
Hey genius there is no longer a Czechoslovakia, hasn't been since about 1992. If you don't know that what else about European affair DON'T you know?

PS- nice racial slur, way to class things up.
Il Brutto

Torrance, CA

#22 Sep 17, 2009
Coffee smells good wrote:
We alienated some of our strongest allies (Eastern Europe countries) with this announcement.
Are the wack-job liberals going to start complaining about how we're no longer respected in those countries?
Oh yeah the powerful Poles and Slovaks. Whatever. Don't talk about lack of respect. We all know what a laughing stock Bush was in Europe.
Rico

Guatemala City, Guatemala

#23 Sep 17, 2009
This is about a system that wasn't going to work anyway, the U.S. traded this lame-brain-scheme for some political favors from Russia...

The U.S. is grasping at straws as it slides down the greased slide of disgrace...Humpty-Dumpty has fallen and the world has finally seen the emptiness,

The U.S. now is the 'biggest' debtor nation in the world!..Beggars can't be choosers!..
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#24 Sep 17, 2009
hoboken wrote:
Considering that there were no commercial planes on 9-11 and that the US government, military, and military owned US media outlets conspired to lie about the "planes" of 9-11.....you would think THAT would bring our soldiers home? Though why would a blatant lie end a war? The same people that brought you the "planes" of 9-11 brought you the murderous lies of WMD's in Iraq. The never ending global US war on a strategy known as terror has killed over 5 million+ people and counting BASED ENTIRELY on a lie.
There were no commercial planes on 9-11. Enjoy the "reconfigured missiles" which means nothing more than rearrange to kill Iranians?
So explain your conspiracy theory, please. What happened to the four flights that took off from airports and never landed? Were those passengers taken to undisclosed location, some desert island? are they lost somewhere. Was there no wreckage in Pennsylvania? were there no cell phone calls from the plane in Pa. to the families of some of those passengers, was there no discussion of what had happened with the other planes, and no decision to storm the cockpit? It was all a hoax, are you saying? Explain that please. I am not saying I believe the official version, either. I always wondered about Building 7 collapsing as it did, and what was stored in there. I heard a report allegedly explaining the collapse, but it hid behind technical language, so we would not understand it, I think. Questions are fine - but an alternate version of reality, and accusations, are not convincing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Warsaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Marshall A. Kelly, Attorney at Law May 2 emilly W 2
News Polish Clergy Mark 70th anniversary of Pogrom a... Apr 29 uther pendragon 3
News 8 accused of selling drugs to undercover author... Apr 26 FU MUTTER 1
News Zacks Investment Research Downgrades Tompkins F... Apr 12 Sheryl Ann 1
News Poland's new Jewish museum celebrates life, doe... (May '13) Feb '16 bluestreak returns 16
News Utica Police Make Arrest in Andre Lamar Oliver-... Feb '16 LOOK HIGH TECH 4
Herion Feb '16 dr feel good 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Warsaw Mortgages