Plainfield riots - 1967
GOODCHECK

Pompano Beach, FL

#43 Aug 15, 2011
Mucks music shop ------madison ave near wolfs used furniture
Vit

Hempstead, NY

#44 Sep 18, 2011
I remember reading about the riots in 1967 when I was stationed in Italy in the Army. I was on leave and visiting my Grandmother in an isolated mountain village. I picked up the local Italian newspaper and spotted the word "Plainfield" in an article. I was shocked to be reading about riots in the city where I spent much time in as a kid.
bruce barrett

Carteret, NJ

#45 Sep 30, 2011
i grew up in plfd n.j. and in 1965 me and a friend were shooting off fire crackers on the way to school, we were turned in to the police and officer john gleason came to our 5th grade class. we thought for sure we were going to jail, but officer gleason checked our pockets for more fire crackers, and convinced we didn't have anymore let us go with a warning, a great guy and cop, didn't have a mean bone in his body. it was said that he was trying to bring peace in the area when he was murdered and i fully believe that. i still think of this guy every once in a while.very sad indeed....
Elizabeth Gleason LaTorre

Paterson, NJ

#47 Oct 20, 2011
I Did not realize this is still a topic but am glad there is someone defending my dad's name. I thank you for that and at least someone remembers history CORRECTLY

Paterson, NJ

#48 Oct 20, 2011
Thank you Bruce
bruce barrett wrote:
i grew up in plfd n.j. and in 1965 me and a friend were shooting off fire crackers on the way to school, we were turned in to the police and officer john gleason came to our 5th grade class. we thought for sure we were going to jail, but officer gleason checked our pockets for more fire crackers, and convinced we didn't have anymore let us go with a warning, a great guy and cop, didn't have a mean bone in his body. it was said that he was trying to bring peace in the area when he was murdered and i fully believe that. i still think of this guy every once in a while.very sad indeed....

Paterson, NJ

#49 Oct 20, 2011
Thank you Bill. That means alot to mu family
Bill Smith wrote:
I grew up in Plainfield in the 1950's & 60's. My mother and father went to Jefferson School. I went to Clinton School on Fourth St & Clinton Ave. My grandparents owned a home they built themselves on Fifth Street near Clinton Ave. I knew John Glrason and most of his brothers. They were a large Irish family with a Police force history. I was in the Marine Corps with his older brother whose first name escapes me now. He was about 4 or 5 years older than me but John was my age. We were in high school together. He was a good man. I was in bootcamp at Paris Island that summer. I was in the last few weeks of training when I got the word. When I got home I visited the old neighborhood. They told me the crowd stomped him to death right on the street right out in front of the butcher shop and that he fired only in self defense. He was a young rookie and shouldn't have been left alone in that area. There was a lot of anger in that neighborhood when I grew up there. Blacks moved in from the south and they were always starting fights. I don't know from where they moved but they had to hace been badly treated for the to have such a huge chip on there shoulders. We fought our way to school every day and we fought our way bahome again in the afternoon. I read what they wrote about John and it's bullshit!

Paterson, NJ

#50 Oct 20, 2011
Thanks alot. Means so much to hear him remembered for the hero he was

Paterson, NJ

#51 Oct 20, 2011
Sorry for the previous mispelling
ggg

Rahway, NJ

#52 Jan 29, 2012
Too Tired wrote:
When we all learn to spell, we will be able to put together cohesive thoughts. The fact that half of the posts have absolutely horrid structure and grammar are indicative of those expounding on the needs of the situation in an absolute vacuum of intelligence. How about cracking a few books first, learn from the past, and carry it into the future. Do you think President Obama became the editor of the Harvard Law Review based on his color or his need to prove something? No,it was because he had reason and logic on his side, hands down.
Obama pays people to keep his birth records sealed. He is anti American! Obama is not my President and he is a disgrace to America. OBAMA stands for One Big Ass Mistake America
Brian

Minneapolis, MN

#53 Feb 4, 2012
Will F wrote:
I grew up on W. 8th Street and went to Catholic school until 1967, when I transferred to PHS. I remember the 1967 riot only vaguely, as it wasn't in my neighborhood, and didn't directly affect anyone I knew. The high school riot in 1969, that was another story. I was standing outside smoking a cigarette in the park across the street from the (old) HS, and all of a sudden, this wave of humanity poured out of the east side doors. I don't know how I managed it, but I found my girlfriend Laura and her girlfriend Lynn, and we took off for Laura's house on Kensington Avenue, as it was the nearest of our three houses.
Ever after, a black girl I'd been friendly with before the riots, Valerie, accused me of being in a mob at the Park Avenue Tearoom after the riot. She was pissed because those people threatened her. She'd been friends with everyone up to that point. But I wasn't there. It always made me feel sad that she thought I would turn on her like that.
What I mainly remember about the riots, though, is how so many people moved away, either to Warren or Bridgewater. If everyone had just stayed in place, it would have blown over, and we could have gotten back to our lives. Now I feel I grew up in a town that doesn't exist. I know things change, but I was looking through Google Maps, checking out Front Street, Park Avenue, and Watchung Avenue, and I recognized maybe one store. Sad, really. I wish everyone had stayed.
I grew up on West 8th also, after we had moved from Hunter Aveunue (behind Clinton Ave School). Reading with interest these comments which I really just stumbled upon. Everyone thinks they have the answer or some special insight into what caused the riots. If you were there and lived it, the kids (black and white) had very little idea of why the problems existed, but rather participated in the unrest because it was exciting and kinda coool from a kids point of view. There were several well organized factions in Plainfield (Black Panthers, Anthony Imperiale from Newark, etc.) that just fanned the flames. It was all a waste..Nothing has or will change. Those who died or were hurt paid a big price for what comes down to we, the top of the the food chain, can't deal with because we're not capable. Nature goes in its own direction, and it isn't good for the human race. Pessimistic? You bet. I'll explain if anybody cares...
Brian

Minneapolis, MN

#54 Feb 4, 2012
Elizabeth Gleason LaTorre wrote:
I Did not realize this is still a topic but am glad there is someone defending my dad's name. I thank you for that and at least someone remembers history CORRECTLY
Elizabeth, didn't your Mom move to Toms River? I recall someone saying she did.

Haledon, NJ

#55 Apr 1, 2012
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>Elizabeth, didn't your Mom move to Toms River? I recall someone saying she did.
No my Grandparents did
pert

Kearny, NJ

#56 May 10, 2012
why isnt there a plaque or monument to officer gleason???he was the only one killed that day yet theres nothing..i didnt even know til today that he died. there is a plaque to the female officer killed in the 80s however...whats up with that???not right at all. ohhh hes white
pert

Kearny, NJ

#57 May 10, 2012
town hasnt improved much since 67..sadly..lousy lame leadership prevails.
linm

Fort Wayne, IN

#58 May 17, 2012
young plainfield resident wrote:
Everyone is always trying to put plainfield down. Why? Because we're black. Well let me tell yall something we are not going no where no time soon so yall need to get use to our faces. Whites care nothing about us and we need to realize that and stand together instead of fight and fuss and get no where. No disrespect but we're worried about riots in the 1960s what about those that are living in the 2000s starving, people in Darfur, Hurricane Katrina. Have anything been fixed yet? NO. WHY? BECAUSE WE'RE BLACK!!!!!!!!!!
So what are you doing to help all of these poor people? What are you doing to fix Newark? Nobody cares what color you or poor people are. A lot of people need help. Forget the black thing. Its because so too d--- lazy!!!!!!!!!!
Patrick

Elizabeth, NJ

#59 Sep 2, 2012
Will wrote:
<quoted text>Cindy Michaels Jewelers is after my time, but the two music stores in Plainfield during the 1960s were Brooks Record Shop on E. Front St. and Gregory's Music Center on W. Front St. This was in Plainfield, not South Plainfield.
My Grandparents, parents and my three brothers were all born in Plainfield going back to the early 1900's out of Mulenburgh(sp) hospital. I was born in 1959 and remember going shopping with my mother and grandmother up and down front street, especially on Thursday nights when the town was open late. Teppers, Freddy Lippits, Texas Weiners, The Strand, Helen Elliots, Armors shoes, Gregory's, Lazzars, etc. etc. It was just a wonderful, magical place and every merchant and employee made you feel real special, especially at Teppers. I was 8 years old when the riots hit and we were living on Grandview Ave. in No. Plfd at the time and I remember seeing the National Guard rolling down Watchung Ave. off of Route 22 heading toward the center of town. It was a real scary time for all Plainfielders at that time. I was fortunate to have an aunt who had a shore house in Lavallette, who let my family stay with her and her 6 kids, until the riots cooled down. The one thing that really stands out for me, moving forward after the event, was for about a year before the riots, I had been attending the Plainfield YMCA and just after the riots had ended and things mellowed out, we all resumed going to the YMCA, blacks and whites, and I remember sitting in on classes held with a supervisor and other boys around my age, 8,9 10 or so and we all were allowed to express ourselves on how we felt, we interacted and learned from the supervisors of these meetings on tolerance and understanding. It was pretty cutting edge for young folks back then coming to grips with this unfortunate situation. I will always have fond memories of Plainfield and I guess that's what most people will say and feel whenever they have lost a "loved one", right? God Bless Plainfield and God Bless America!!!
Brian

Muskegon, MI

#60 Sep 2, 2012
I grew up in Plainfield. It is, for all intents and purposes, a reflection of America. GThat includes the good, the bad and the ugly. The truth hurts.
Paul Granski

Royal Oak, MI

#61 Sep 9, 2012
Elizabeth Gleason LaTorre wrote:
Thank you Bill. That means alot to mu family<quoted text>
Elizabeth, I grew up on the other side of Salem Road and remember your Dad as a good man.

Haledon, NJ

#62 Nov 26, 2012
Thank you Paul
Paul Granski wrote:
<quoted text>
Elizabeth, I grew up on the other side of Salem Road and remember your Dad as a good man.
DES

South Rockwood, MI

#63 Aug 13, 2013
I was about 8 years old when the Riots broke out in Plainfield, I remember one of the person that was sent to prison for killing of the police officer. I remember him because, he was a very good track Hurdler I would watch him train when I was a kid because he lived down the street from me. I now live in Columbia MD. I am so sorry for what happen to the police officer and there family because a child and mother lost there Father and Husband. No murders is right no matter black or white or any other race of people it is wrong because God's Word says thou shall not murder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Warren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Plainfield, need a little history around 1960 (Feb '08) Sun Elaine 160
News All 600 undocumented immigrants need to get fin... Mar 27 ONLYONETERM 3
News Pagan's MC Member Sentenced to 28 Years (Dec '07) Jan '18 Butters3400 801
News Firefighters battle Dunellen blaze (Oct '14) Dec '17 JJFPONT 3
Damn liberals (Dec '16) Dec '16 Raegen84fan 1
Someone cut down my tree in my front yard!! (Dec '16) Dec '16 Bigboi88 1
Review: Hillary's Fashion Boutique (Oct '10) Nov '16 nooname 2

Warren Jobs

Personal Finance

Warren Mortgages