Wind postpones EEE spraying -

Aug 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: SouthCoastToday.com

Another horse is dead, another pool of mosquitoes has tested positive for eastern equine encephalitis, and after a wind-related delay, state officials are hoping to aerial spray for the deadly EEE virus tonight.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Aug 12, 2010
phyllis

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2010

are they planning to spray in Rehoboth? I have a fish pond - will it hurt the fish, although there's really nothing I can do about it.

thanks.
The Funky Koi

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

phyllis wrote:
are they planning to spray in Rehoboth? I have a fish pond - will it hurt the fish, although there's really nothing I can do about it.
thanks.
Phyllis, the chemical used to spray for mosquitos is toxic to fish. Our business is in Berkley, so I had the same concern as I needed to protect our koi. We have a net over the pond to protect the fish from neighborhood Osprey so we simply purchases light weight plastic sheeting (plastic drop cloth) and placed it over the netting. It protected the fish for the evening they sprayed.

Earlier this spring, before I knew 'what' they sprayed, I had Bristol County Mosquito control spray my woodeded area, which is about 70 feet from the pond. Within two days, we lost five fish and the water had an odd color and glossy sheen. We did a major water change and were able to save the remaining 30 or so fish. It must have worked as we have babies (again).

Good Luck protecting your koi!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Warren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Fitchburg rabies clinic an all-around success Aug 7 Peaches 1
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Kundrot dionkie 4,699
Beas For Sale - live in West Brookfield Jun '14 New England Music... 1
Country Bank online troubles point out need to ... May '14 Wared Out 1
Ware arrests 20 people in undercover crackdown ... (Sep '08) Apr '14 The Truth Committee 4
Journal from 1801 offers peek at past Mar '14 Brad G 1

Search the Warren Forum:
•••

Warren News Video

•••
Warren Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Warren Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000