Robb Scott

Dracut, MA

#1 Oct 19, 2013
I worked at Camp Merrimack in Contoocook in the early 70s. A couple of times, my co-workers and I grabbed a few relaxing moments at a place called The Glendon.

I was pretty young, 17-18 or so, and there's a lot about these evenings I don't remember.

Some that I do (and I'm probably looking back with some impossibly nostalgic glasses):

The Glendon was a magnificent ramshackle old building with a cool-as-hell wrap-around balcony. I still love places like that.

There was this ancient National Cash Register. Big, ornate, story was that National had offered the place a lot of money for it, and they wouldn't sell.

You needed a permit to allow dancing in drinking establishments in NH at the time, and The Glendon didn't have one. One night, a guy and a girl, straight out of West Side Story (this is the early 70s, and most everyone all looked like the cast of Easy Rider) dropped some cash in the juke and started dancing their asses off. Someone asked how they were getting away with it. "That's the owner's son" came the reply.

Good times, except...18 year old me was in charge of opening the camp's kitchen the next morning. I showed up at 6am, puked on the floor, and passed out on the bench in front of the steam table. Chef Carl Otto came in at 6:45 and laid into me big time. I never crossed him again HAHAHAHA I couldn't finish that with a straight face...

Anyway, I can find no reference to this place on the web anywhere, and I think that's a shame...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Warner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
selectmen/ unpaid taxes/auction ! Nov 21 scoot 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Hampsh... (Oct '10) Nov '14 Bravo 27
Review: S K Auto Repair (Feb '14) Aug '14 Courtney Galler 2
Angela got married Jul '14 Ruth 1
Scarlet letter is an A (Apr '14) Apr '14 Ex Skora 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Warner, NH (Jan '12) Jan '14 Bald Eagle 5
Long odds for Portsmouth passenger train revival (Jan '14) Jan '14 mike bilodeau 1

Warner News Video

Warner Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Warner People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Warner News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Warner

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:51 am PST