First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Transplant

Young Harris, GA

#1 Mar 27, 2013
Where does the artsy/craftsy crowd hang around here?
I Think

Franklin, NC

#2 Mar 27, 2013
Ashville, I think.
Transplant

Young Harris, GA

#3 Mar 27, 2013
I Think wrote:
Ashville, I think.
No writers, musicians (other than country or blue grass), photographers, artists, actors, philosophers, herblogists (the legal kind), poets, minstrels, free spirits...?

I checked out the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC but their instructors are all from somewhere other than around here.
Observer

Franklin, NC

#4 Mar 27, 2013
There is a walk through downtown Murphy in July featuring local artists. I just read about it today
in the Cherokee Scout.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#5 Mar 28, 2013
Transplant wrote:
Where does the artsy/craftsy crowd hang around here?
They are back in florida.
Observer

Franklin, NC

#6 Mar 30, 2013
So, Timmy, are you saying there are no creative individuals down south??
Transplant too

Young Harris, GA

#7 Mar 30, 2013
Observer wrote:
So, Timmy, are you saying there are no creative individuals down south??
Donít be ridiculous! Heís asking were they congregate. As a rule those types are fraternal and in private life, shun the spotlight.
Observer

Franklin, NC

#8 Mar 30, 2013
You must not know Timmy. He is always putting down Floridians, also
transplants.....especially Yankees. So I am not being ridiculous...as you say, but I KNOW Timmy.
Transplant too wrote:
<quoted text>
Donít be ridiculous! Heís asking were they congregate. As a rule those types are fraternal and in private life, shun the spotlight.
Transplant too

Young Harris, GA

#9 Mar 30, 2013
Observer wrote:
You must not know Timmy. He is always putting down Floridians, also
transplants.....especially Yankees. So I am not being ridiculous...as you say, but I KNOW Timmy.
<quoted text>
No, I can't say I know "Timmy," and don't care to.
observer

Franklin, NC

#10 Mar 31, 2013
Don't blame you.
Transplant too wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I can't say I know "Timmy," and don't care to.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#11 Mar 31, 2013
observer wrote:
Don't blame you.
<quoted text>
I could care less.
Resident

Young Harris, GA

#12 Mar 31, 2013
Here's something the CCCofC might consider going for. NC has even more generous breaks for the movie industry:

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/itineraries/wal...
observer

Franklin, NC

#13 Mar 31, 2013
That's quite obvious.
Timmy_ wrote:
<quoted text>I could care less.
NYC

Young Harris, GA

#14 Apr 9, 2013
There's a small group of weekenders and a few locals who pooled their money and bought a farm east of town. They're in to art, yoga and meditation, photography, poetry, literature, various styles of music, cooking - you name it. It's very laid back and very private.
Tate City Reader

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Apr 11, 2013
NYC wrote:
There's a small group of weekenders and a few locals who pooled their money and bought a farm east of town. They're in to art, yoga and meditation, photography, poetry, literature, various styles of music, cooking - you name it. It's very laid back and very private.
That sounds interesting.

Could you give some more details?

Can you say more specifically where this farm is located in Clay County and how to meet-up with these folks?
Do they ever have events there?

How big is the farm?

Who do you contact if you're interested in this place?
NYC

Young Harris, GA

#16 Apr 11, 2013
Tate City Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds interesting.
Could you give some more details?
Can you say more specifically where this farm is located in Clay County and how to meet-up with these folks?
Do they ever have events there?
How big is the farm?
Who do you contact if you're interested in this place?
Other than saying they do not hold "events," assuming you mean ones open to the public, I wouldn't feel comfortable in answering your questions. Sorry.

The point was, or is, that it would be nice to have a (public) place that, along with the requisite ambiance, caters to the creative types, not unlike those that were popular all over urban America and around universities in the 60s and 70s.
NYC

Young Harris, GA

#17 Apr 11, 2013
Thanks "Tate City" for reminding me of the place. Several of us who are in to photography are coming over to do some test shots and I'm going to mention it to them as a place to go, when the leaves are out. It's a beautiful place, even if "city" is a misnomer. We've been told there's an old country church with a lot of history and character hidden way back in a valley around there somewhere, but we've never been able to find it. Any idea where it might be?
Tate City Reader

Indio, CA

#18 Apr 13, 2013
No, I don't know where the old church is. It must be way up at the head of the valley back of someone's private property. Tate City is quite isolated, but there are some beautiful spots for photography and hiking if you go far enough up the river.
I wish you could just give me a hint as to what part of Clay County your "artist" farm is located in. It sounds like a cool idea. It would be great if Clay County could be a place for "creative" younger people in addition to retirees from Florida. I've met a few creative types and also seen them around the Cafe Touche just off the town square.
Been there

Young Harris, GA

#19 Apr 13, 2013
Tate City Reader wrote:
No, I don't know where the old church is. It must be way up at the head of the valley back of someone's private property. Tate City is quite isolated, but there are some beautiful spots for photography and hiking if you go far enough up the river.
For those of us who like photography, I think you'd make a terrific tour guide, and I mean that as a compliment. Also an ideal "location scout," not unlike the film industry uses. It would really be fantastic if there was a map available on the internet (CofC's site? Or Google Maps?) of places that would interest anyone with a camera (from here or just visiting), from the beginner to the professional.
It would be great if Clay County could be a place for "creative" younger people in addition to retirees from Florida.
Who wouldn't want that? Great idea. And exciting. There's a large, one story brick house on the right as you're going out to Jack Rabbit park (I think that's right, it's owned by the TVA and has a nice beach) off the back road that would be the perfect location. It's visible from the road and set far enough back to be safe for wandering kids out "exploring." It's going to ruin, which is sad. It may have once been a chicken farm.

It wouldn't have to be just for kids; anybody who is creative might gravate there, especially retirees looking to get involved in something different and yet worthwhile to the community.
Tate City Reader

Indio, CA

#20 Apr 14, 2013
Been there wrote:
<quoted text>
For those of us who like photography, I think you'd make a terrific tour guide, and I mean that as a compliment. Also an ideal "location scout," not unlike the film industry uses. It would really be fantastic if there was a map available on the internet (CofC's site? Or Google Maps?) of places that would interest anyone with a camera (from here or just visiting), from the beginner to the professional.
<quoted text>
Coincidentally, several years ago I did a lot of scouting of Clay County for photography locations for a project I was working on. Your suggestion about a map/guide to appeal to shutterbugs that the Chamber could provide is an excellent one.

Clay County has so many great attributes. Unfortunately, none of them are really economic. I believe if there was a real active nucleus of creative/entrepreneurial younger folk (who weren't involved in the Real Estate/Vacation Home Industrial Complex), that Clay County might finally get some sustainable economic activity without trashing the beauty of the surrounding area. One can only dream...

I don't know if you followed the Golden Leaf grant process that was just completed with the county getting $1 million for a sewer line extension to the county industrial park. But, that was a real missed opportunity. The grant money should have gone towards a county-wide WiMax network and revitalizing downtown Hayesville. Instead, the county will just repeat the pattern of failed rural sprawl.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Warne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 13 law enforcement officers charged with drug c... 4 hr TJK 1
bggb (Aug '14) Mon gab 157
Dog food heroin smack? Mon PrimeTIME704 28
--NEVER bored in the QC!!$$ Mon PrimeTIME704 1
420? Mon Emmy1345 3
how now BROWN cow >> boi May 3 JMO 9
Hiwasee Valley Pool and Wellness Center (Jun '14) May 3 CrabbyAppleton 22
More from around the web

Warne People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE