Cap-and-trade tax hike will slam North Carolina

The surprise revenue source to pay for much of the Obama budget is something known deceptively as 'climate revenues,' also known as 'cap-and-trade.' What cap-and-trade really means is tax-and-spend-at an unprecedented level and with sweeping consequences throughout the economy, both nationally and here in North Carolina. Full Story
Dionysis

Asheville, NC

#1 Apr 14, 2009
"Climate change can only be effectively addressed with the luxury of wealth that a free-market provides."

Yeah, that'w worked out swell so far, hasn't it? This has to be the most ridiculous comment to come down the pike in a long, long while.

As another poster noted, the cost of doing nothing is far greater. Perhaps others don't care about anything but coins in their pockets, but some of us would like to avoid continual destruction of the only planet we have. And if that costs a bit more, then so be it.

Since: Feb 08

Asheville, NC

#2 Apr 14, 2009
Dionysis wrote:
"Climate change can only be effectively addressed with the luxury of wealth that a free-market provides."
Yeah, that'w worked out swell so far, hasn't it? This has to be the most ridiculous comment to come down the pike in a long, long while.
As another poster noted, the cost of doing nothing is far greater. Perhaps others don't care about anything but coins in their pockets, but some of us would like to avoid continual destruction of the only planet we have. And if that costs a bit more, then so be it.
While you sit blogging on your computer, thanks to electricity, and you probably own a vehicle and live in a home that uses electricity. People are struggling now dealing with increasing higher costs of virtually everything.

“California Real ID”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Apr 14, 2009
Kevin

United States

#4 Apr 14, 2009
Dionysis wrote:
"Climate change can only be effectively addressed with the luxury of wealth that a free-market provides."
Yeah, that'w worked out swell so far, hasn't it? This has to be the most ridiculous comment to come down the pike in a long, long while.
As another poster noted, the cost of doing nothing is far greater. Perhaps others don't care about anything but coins in their pockets, but some of us would like to avoid continual destruction of the only planet we have. And if that costs a bit more, then so be it.
Turn off your electricity, your computer, etc... Sell your car and your house. Go live in a tent....at least then you would have SOME credibility.
Dionysis

Asheville, NC

#5 Apr 14, 2009
Well lookie, Kevin and BIBROC, two cells from the same Borg collective.

Are either of you capable of discerning the fact that your nearly identical posts do not address the point raised AT ALL?

And I really couln't care less if I have "credibility" with right-wing losers.
Kevin

United States

#6 Apr 14, 2009
Dionysis wrote:
Well lookie, Kevin and BIBROC, two cells from the same Borg collective.
Are either of you capable of discerning the fact that your nearly identical posts do not address the point raised AT ALL?
And I really couln't care less if I have "credibility" with right-wing losers.
You don't have credibility, period. Practice what you preach. I don't stoop to name calling, by the way. That seems to be a liberal thing.
beyond rhetoric

Raleigh, NC

#7 Apr 14, 2009
(worth reposting here)
This article is troubling at best and beyond dubious at its worst. Yes, there are costs associated with addressing the devastation that business as usual has done to both our environment and our economy, but what is missing is that the costs (in dollars and cents) associated with NOT doing anything are far higher. Our energy rates are already rising (as are energy company profits) and as resources of coal, gas and oil grow more and more scarce, they will rise at an even more alarming rate. As of today, the jobs associated with wind power are already outpacing jobs in coal mining, and will continue to grow as we continue to invest in them. While we will loose some jobs in old, outmoded industries, the jobs that will be created in new green businesses will pay more and can't be outsourced. It's time to change the rhetoric and look more closely at what we have and where we are going. I for one count myself as a true American for Prosperity.
Kevin

United States

#8 Apr 14, 2009
Tell you what else. YOU pay for cap and trade. I've got two boys to raise.

Since: Mar 09

franklin,nc

#9 Apr 14, 2009
Just how many of these windmills do people think can be put up?You could put them up from sea to shining sea and it would be a drop in the bucket.And what is a green buisness?Are we all gonna build windmills?
Kevin

Candler, NC

#10 Apr 14, 2009
franklinative wrote:
Just how many of these windmills do people think can be put up?You could put them up from sea to shining sea and it would be a drop in the bucket.And what is a green buisness?Are we all gonna build windmills?
If windmills are such good business, why don't we already have them everywhere? And yes, what IS a green business?
alekas

Greenville, SC

#11 Apr 14, 2009
Dionysis wrote:
As another poster noted, the cost of doing nothing is far greater. Perhaps others don't care about anything but coins in their pockets, but some of us would like to avoid continual destruction of the only planet we have. And if that costs a bit more, then so be it.
who says the 'cost of doing nothing is greater' other than those who believe that by doing something, it is therefore good? You folks confuse activity with action. Also, evidence please of planetary destruction?
Sorry, but in my lifetime, the steps man has taken to clean the world around him are innumerable, but here are a few:
--the belching smokestacks of early industrial America, gone
--sewage floating in rivers and lakes as the norm, gone. See Hudson River and Pigeon River for evidence and add Lake Erie to the mix.
--leaded fuel of the past, gone. Regular means low octane unleaded and, as a whole, fuels burn cleaner.
--no shortage of trees in the country; just fly across it sometime.
--wastewater treatment systems whose discharge is several times cleaner than its intake
That's a short list; I suspect others can add more. Simply accusing those who disagree with your point of view as being know-nothings does not make it so; it just makes you sound like an elitist bore. Cap and trade IS a tax and even Obama has said as much.

If you want to believe that the planet is on the verge of imminent collapse, go ahead and, please, lead with your wallet. But govt gets enough of my money as it is and I hardly believe the same bureaucracies that gave us the $900 hammer and the DMV are the ones to trust with safeguarding the planet.
Kevin

Candler, NC

#12 Apr 15, 2009
alekas wrote:
<quoted text>
who says the 'cost of doing nothing is greater' other than those who believe that by doing something, it is therefore good? You folks confuse activity with action. Also, evidence please of planetary destruction?
Sorry, but in my lifetime, the steps man has taken to clean the world around him are innumerable, but here are a few:
--the belching smokestacks of early industrial America, gone
--sewage floating in rivers and lakes as the norm, gone. See Hudson River and Pigeon River for evidence and add Lake Erie to the mix.
--leaded fuel of the past, gone. Regular means low octane unleaded and, as a whole, fuels burn cleaner.
--no shortage of trees in the country; just fly across it sometime.
--wastewater treatment systems whose discharge is several times cleaner than its intake
That's a short list; I suspect others can add more. Simply accusing those who disagree with your point of view as being know-nothings does not make it so; it just makes you sound like an elitist bore. Cap and trade IS a tax and even Obama has said as much.
If you want to believe that the planet is on the verge of imminent collapse, go ahead and, please, lead with your wallet. But govt gets enough of my money as it is and I hardly believe the same bureaucracies that gave us the $900 hammer and the DMV are the ones to trust with safeguarding the planet.
One of the best posts I have ever seen on Topix right there!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Warne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
May 2 Council to impose suffocating, depraved o... 8 hr David 2
Dog food heroin smack? 18 hr Sunny 15
dog food near the arboretum 18 hr Sunny 9
stolen car Fri EMERSON HAYWOOD 1
Help me Find this song! Thu toof teller 5
Charlotte mayor on trans gender homosexual rest... Thu kneel 4
bggb (Aug '14) Thu gab 120

Warne News Video

Warne Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Warne People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:17 am PST

NFL 7:17AM
Falcons release wideout Harry Douglas
Bleacher Report 7:22 AM
Report: Falcons Release WR Harry Douglas
NFL11:05 AM
Atlanta Falcons release veteran guard Justin Blalock
Bleacher Report11:26 AM
Bears, Steelers Among Top Spots for FA RB Jackson
NBC Sports 2:32 PM
Falcons waive Jonathan Massaquoi