Yukon, WV some history on going.

Yukon, WV some history on going.

Posted in the War Forum

Gilbert

Hudson, OH

#1 May 30, 2011
Charles Sayers Rose [Parents] was born on 6 May 1899 in Yukon, McDowell Co, WV. He died on 28 Mar 1924 in Yukon, McDowell Co, WV. He married Laura Hester Rose on 2 Apr 1923 in Yukon, McDowell Co, WV.

Laura Hester Rose [Parents] was born on 6 Nov 1903 in Yukon, McDowell Co, WV. She died on 21 Oct 1983. She was buried in Rose Cemetery, Puckett Ridge, Raysal, McDowell Co, WV. She married Charles Sayers Rose on 2 Apr 1923 in Yukon, McDowell Co, WV.

Other marriages: Whitt, John T. "Bert"

[Notes] They had the following children:

Fred Earl Rose was born on 20 Feb 1924 in McDowell Co, WV. He died on 18 Feb 2004 in Fl.

Jonah Whitt [Parents] was born in Apr 1887 in McDowell Co, WV. He died on 5 Apr 1960 in Merrimac, Mingo Co, WV. He was buried in Phillips Cemetery, Mingo Co, WV. He married Elizabeth J. "Eliza" Whitt on 9 Dec 1904 in Pea Patch, Buchanan Co, VA.

[Notes]
Elizabeth J. "Eliza" Whitt [Parents] was born in Mar 1888 in VA. She died on 18 Apr 1917 in McDowell Co, WV. She was buried in Kiwi, McDowell Co, WV. She married Jonah Whitt on 9 Dec 1904 in Pea Patch, Buchanan Co, VA.

[Notes]
They had the following children:

William "Billie" Whitt was born in 1904 in Berwind, McDowell Co, WV. He died on 14 Mar 1934 in Welch Emergency Hospital, Welch, McDowell Co, WV. He was buried on 18 Mar 1934 in Lomax, McDowell Co, WV.[Notes]
John T. "Bert" Whitt was born on 11 Mar 1907. He died on 14 May 1991.
Elise P. Whitt was born in 1910 in McDowell Co, WV.[Notes]
Alexander Whitt was born in 1914 in VA.[Notes]
Wallace Whitt was born in 1916 in WV.[Notes]
Charles Hamilton Whitt was born on 4 Apr 1914/1917 in Kiwi, McDowell Co, WV.

The post master Mrs Rogers taught for awile at the Yukon, WV school
Rev Jack Griffith built a church across the end of the bridge.
Rev Jim Mullins baptized many in the river near the bridge, see the photo's in the McDowell County, WV website.
Gilbert

Hudson, OH

#2 May 30, 2011
Oliver Kennedy
(Oakwood)

Oliver Kennedy, 75, of Oakwood, died Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at Buchanan General Hospital in Grundy.
Born in Yukon, WV, he was the son of the late Isaiah Kennedy and Flora Bell Vance Kennedy. He was retired from Island Creek Coal Corporation VP #2, was of the Pentecostal faith, a member of the UMWA, and was an avid outdoorsman and hunter.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one sister, Dorothy Hodges; three brothers, Fred, Clarence and Roger Kennedy; father and mother-in-law, Ethel and Floyd Vandyke; and one special nephew.
He is survived by his wife, Gertrude Vandyke Kennedy; one son, Benny Ray Kennedy, of Oakwood; three sisters, Carol Edwards and husband, Dennis, of Rogersville, TN, Etta Reynolds of Princeton, WV, Joann Ward and husband, Milton, of Belfast; four brothers, Carl Kennedy and wife, Carrie, of New Hall, WV, Elmer Kennedy and wife, Loretta, of North Carolina, Steve Kennedy and wife, Ruby, of Abingdon and Charlie Kennedy and wife, Sandy, of Levington, TX; several nieces and nephews.
Services were held Friday, May 25 at Shortridge-Ramey Funeral Home in Grundy with Pastor Ronnie Parks and Pastor Paul Vandyke officiating. Burial followed in Greenhills Memory Gardens, Claypool Hill.
Pallbearers were Dean Kennedy, Tommy Reynolds, Jerry Cook, Ray Sturgill, Jack Vandyke and Clearney Keen.
Honorary pallbearers were Milton Ward, Terry Ward, Tommy Vandyke and Jimmy Miller.
Shortridge-Ramey Funeral Home, Grundy, was in charge of arrangements.
Teacher

Hudson, OH

#3 May 30, 2011
Bert WHITT [Parents] was born about 1904. He married Laura ROSE on 4 Dec 1925 in Yukon, McDowell County, WV..

Laura ROSE [Parents] was born about 1905. She married Bert WHITT on 4 Dec 1925 in Yukon, McDowell County, WV..

They had the following children:

Earnest WHITT was born 25 Nov 1926.

Ethel WHITT was born 15 Mar 1930.

Everett WHITT was born 17 May 1932 Twin.
Elsie WHITT was born 17 May 1932 Twin.

Nathaniel Daniel (Danny) WHITT was born 27 Nov 1934.

Harless WHITT was born 19 Jan 1934.

Mary Alice WHITT was born 28 Jul 1940.

Douglas McArthur WHITT was born 17 May 1942.

Nancy WHITT was born 2 Oct 1945.

Peggy Jane WHITT was born 31 Dec 1946.
Rev Jim

Hudson, OH

#4 May 30, 2011
#1 Yukon Mine, Mar 1930
MINE EXPLOSION KILLS 2, ENTOMBS 9. WORKERS CUT OFF 4,000 FEET BACK IN SHAFT. HASTILY SUMMONED RESCUE CREWS HOLD LITTLE HOPE FOR TRAPPED DIGGERS.
PAIR ESCAPE UNHURT. VICTIMS BURNED BEYOND RECOGNITION; PIT FILLED WITH GAS, IS BELIEF. March 26. 1930 (AP) Two miners were killed and nine others were entombed today in an explosion in a heading of the Yukon, WV mine of the Crown Coal Co. here. The fate of the nine entombed has not been determined. Mine rescue crews were attempting to reach the entombed men.
There apparently was no fire in the workings.
Both of the dead men were burned beyond recognition. Members of the rescue crews believed there was little chance that the miners unaccounted for would be alive. The explosion was believed to have been caused by gas. It occurred 4,000 feet from the mouth of the mine.
The mine, opened in 1922, is a slope mine. Two hundred men are employed in it during the day and 25 at night. The blast occurred shortly after 2 a.m. The eleven men entombed were working in the ninth right heading where the explosion happened. Two others were at work behind the heading and were not aware of the accident. The electric power suddenly was cut off and the men sat down to wait until the power was restored. WHen the power remained off for three hours the two miners walked from the workings and it was learned then that an explosion had occurred.
The 11 entombed were cutters and scrapers. PAUL PAYES, a scraper, and STANLEY KENDREW, a cutter, were the two working in back of the ninth heading and were not aware of the disaster that beset their fellow workers until 4 hours later.
Inspector A. B. SPENCER, was directing rescue efforts. A mine rescue crew from the United States bureau of mines with headquarters at Pittsburgh, also was enroute to the scene.
The Lima News Ohio 1930-03-26

Researched and Transcribed by Stu Beitler.
West Virginia Mining Explosions and Accidents 1930
kool beans

Lorton, VA

#5 May 30, 2011
i love reading about that mine explosion. its a sad part of our history. but i think is very interesting to read about. does anyone know if they are any pictures of that day?
Rev Jim

United States

#6 May 30, 2011
Dr. Hatfield lived in an upstairs and had his office in the front of the upstairs. He delivered my sister in 1947.
There was a Christian Church in Yukon.
There was business on both side of the State Rt that ran throught so I will call it Main St, and I remember on the ground was a couple bars, and a resturant one was called Miners Cafe. Ciso Lincolns Furnture store and the post office. All ebore the RR underpass. It was a booming busy town.
Even after going throught the underpass where many large trucks had to let air out of their tires to get under that RR pass, some stores like a grocery and open field that had a tent roller rink, once a Medicine show came through and set up, lots of Gospel preaching tents. Continued on the Main road takes you to Bucannon where there was a good size company store and large populated community.
MedicineWoman

Houston, TX

#7 May 30, 2011
Rev Jim wrote:
Dr. Hatfield lived in an upstairs and had his office in the front of the upstairs. He delivered my sister in 1947.
There was business on both side of the State Rt that ran throught so I will call it Main St, and I remember on the ground was a couple bars, and a resturant one was called Miners Cafe. Ciso Lincolns Furnture store and the post office. All ebore the RR underpass. It was a booming busy town.
Even after going throught the underpass where many large trucks had to let air out of their tires to get under that RR pass, some stores like a grocery and open field that had a tent roller rink, once a Medicine show came through and set up, lots of Gospel preaching tents. Continued on the Main road takes you to Bucannon where there was a good size company store and large populated community.
My parents met at that roller rink. Mama was an excellent skater, but apparently Daddy wasn't, because he didn't get away.

I was young, but I remember hearing of Dr. Hatfield. I believe he may have birthed one or more of Granny's children. Mama was the youngest, born in 1923.

I also remember War and the colorful people who inhabited it! I would walk to town just about every day with my grandfather. I remember what a big event it was when I was old enough to walk to town by myself. Boy, those were the days alright.

Do any of you remember "Old Lou?" Whatever happened to her? Was she/he a hermaphrodite?

Does anyone remember the organ grinder with the monkey? This would have been in the early '50s.

Does anyone remember Virginia Hash who was a hairdresser in War?

What about Florence, Sam and Freddy Muncy? They lived next to us.

What about the Breadmont family? They lived down from us.

Also, does anyone remember "Shop Holler?" Is it still there? Why was it called "Shop Holler?"

Does anyone remember a time before Berwind Lake was built?

I've got a million questions, but I won't put them all in this post.

Thanks in advance for the memories.
Rev Jim

United States

#8 May 30, 2011
MedicineWoman wrote:
<quoted text>
My parents met at that roller rink. Mama was an excellent skater, but apparently Daddy wasn't, because he didn't get away.
I was young, but I remember hearing of Dr. Hatfield. I believe he may have birthed one or more of Granny's children. Mama was the youngest, born in 1923.
I also remember War and the colorful people who inhabited it! I would walk to town just about every day with my grandfather. I remember what a big event it was when I was old enough to walk to town by myself. Boy, those were the days alright.
Do any of you remember "Old Lou?" Whatever happened to her? Was she/he a hermaphrodite?
Does anyone remember the organ grinder with the monkey? This would have been in the early '50s.
Also, does anyone remember "Shop Holler?" Is it still there? Why was it called "Shop Holler?"
Old Lou WOW, sure do and your guess is as good as mine. He/she always had on mens pants and everybody knew him/her....Yes, Virginia Hash lived up our way in War, I use to remember all the families down by your grandparents. Some lady lived accross from your folks and my Mom always called her "my God mother". I can't rember her name....
Shop Hollar had a long building that worked on those small rail cars and especially the motor cars, I had been in there many times as a child.......There was a mines not far from the shop...My question is why didn't we see a coal "slate" dump since there was several of these mines. Maybe the dump would of been futher around the hill.
Remember the Army/Navy Store that is the one my mother ran...Later years she had the Sweet Shop. She was always a money making woman. ALL of War knew her.
Rev Jim

United States

#9 May 30, 2011
MAY 22, 1928 YUKON POCAHONTAS COAL CO. YUKON NO. 1 YUKON EXPLOSION 17
MedicineWoman

Houston, TX

#10 May 31, 2011
Rev Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Old Lou WOW, sure do and your guess is as good as mine. He/she always had on mens pants and everybody knew him/her....Yes, Virginia Hash lived up our way in War, I use to remember all the families down by your grandparents. Some lady lived accross from your folks and my Mom always called her "my God mother". I can't rember her name....
Shop Hollar had a long building that worked on those small rail cars and especially the motor cars, I had been in there many times as a child.......There was a mines not far from the shop...My question is why didn't we see a coal "slate" dump since there was several of these mines. Maybe the dump would of been futher around the hill.
Remember the Army/Navy Store that is the one my mother ran...Later years she had the Sweet Shop. She was always a money making woman. ALL of War knew her.
Thanks for the memories! Whatever happened to Virginia Hash. Far as I know she was a good woman. Did she ever remarry? Do you know her daughters Margaret and Renee?
2 posts removed

Since: Apr 16

Columbus, IN

#13 Apr 8, 2016
I was born in Youkon WV. 11/24/1936. Doctor Hatfield was my Doc. My had to. Career him accrost the river on his back when I was born. I think saw OLd Lou in Youkon one time.George EDTempleton.
Homer Davis

Martinsville, VA

#14 Apr 9, 2016
MedicineWoman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I know Virginia Hash, she and her daughter Renee' lived in Cucumber. I went to school with Renee' Her mother and her brother Denver Logan who married my sister Lucille Logan lived in Yukon #2. Renee' lives in Roanoke Va. now. Homer Davis
Miners Son

Commerce, GA

#15 Apr 9, 2016
Rev Jim wrote:
My family lived in Bucannon. I remember the Muncies (lived behind us) the Chandlers, the Hicks, The Broles. Been in the company store many times. Loved going to the carnival in the "bottom" each summer. I went to Yukon #1 grade school and attended many of the tent revivals. I was a cub scout in the old furniture store upstairs. Went to War Junior High, then we moved to Tampa, FL in 1959.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

War Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 5 min GodSmacked 36,154
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 12 min GodSmacked 33,199
Word assocation (Sep '07) 9 hr luci 17,450
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 9 hr luci 5,715
Do you agree on withdrawal of US troops from Af... (Jul '12) Wed Human 23
Jacob Cambell Wed Raider nation 1
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Wed Bad ass visitor 1,342

War Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance