Concerned Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

I would like to know exactly what our so called teachers and Principal at this school is supposed to be getting paid for?

They are not capable of doing anything other than calling home on these kids for every little thing they do.

This has to be the sorriest school in McDowell county. It's no wonder these kids hate this school so much and don't care if they learn or not.

Wake up ppl, our children are being CHEATED out of the education that they need, and deserve because the teachers and the Principal would much rather call the parents and suspend them or expell them for every little thing they do rather than try and deal with it theirselves.

What kind of an example are they setting for these kids? other than just pass the buck to someone else rather than deal with it.

Some parent's aren't able to run down to the school everytime that their child gets into trouble. What's wrong ?? are the teachers afarid of the student's? I'm sure they must have had a subject on how to handle a situation on misbehaving children while they were in college.

I think that a lot of it is the fact that they have a personal vendetta aganist some of these kids, and it thrills them to see them get into trouble. They have to know that with all the suspensions and expulsions that these kids will be so far behind that they will never catch up.

In my opinion it would be a blessing if Southside were to close. The kids would have to go elsewhere to school BUT AT LEAST THEY WOULD GET A BETTER EDUCATION, AND WOULDN'T BE PICKED ON HALF AS MUCH AND SHOWN PREDJUDICE AGANIST.
well

Danielson, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Concerned Parent wrote:
I would like to know exactly what our so called teachers and Principal at this school is supposed to be getting paid for?

They are not capable of doing anything other than calling home on these kids for every little thing they do.

This has to be the sorriest school in McDowell county. It's no wonder these kids hate this school so much and don't care if they learn or not.

Wake up ppl, our children are being CHEATED out of the education that they need, and deserve because the teachers and the Principal would much rather call the parents and suspend them or expell them for every little thing they do rather than try and deal with it theirselves.

What kind of an example are they setting for these kids? other than just pass the buck to someone else rather than deal with it.

Some parent's aren't able to run down to the school everytime that their child gets into trouble. What's wrong ?? are the teachers afarid of the student's? I'm sure they must have had a subject on how to handle a situation on misbehaving children while they were in college.

I think that a lot of it is the fact that they have a personal vendetta aganist some of these kids, and it thrills them to see them get into trouble. They have to know that with all the suspensions and expulsions that these kids will be so far behind that they will never catch up.

In my opinion it would be a blessing if Southside were to close. The kids would have to go elsewhere to school BUT AT LEAST THEY WOULD GET A BETTER EDUCATION, AND WOULDN'T BE PICKED ON HALF AS MUCH AND SHOWN PREDJUDICE AGANIST.
Post your name
Southside Parent

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

I want to school to call me if my child gets in trouble at school because I will take care of it when they get home. I would get upset if the school didn't call me because I want to know what is going on. I have seen some of the students at school and some don't need to be in school period the way they act.
Concerned Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Southside Parent wrote:
I want to school to call me if my child gets in trouble at school because I will take care of it when they get home. I would get upset if the school didn't call me because I want to know what is going on. I have seen some of the students at school and some don't need to be in school period the way they act.
But you see thats just the problem, things that they should be calling home about they let slide, and stupid petty things they will, call home , suspend, or expell over.

When and=n 8 th grader slammed my daughters head into the locker and left a knot the size of an egg on her head, ohhhhhh they "didn't feel as if she was injured that badly to call home"; but when my son is horse playing with his best friend yeah they suspend him for 5 days and call home on that. Now you tell me do they know what they are doing? NO,NO. and NO
Concerned Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

well wrote:
<quoted text>
Post your name
What does my name have to do with the topic we are talking about.
I could say it was anything, but that wouldn't make it true.
Concerned Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Anyone with half a brain in their head knows that this school or rather it's faculty [most of them anyway] don't know how to teach our children.

The school is unorganized, they don't know when their teachers are there and when they aren't. I was at school just a couple of weeks ago when another teacher comes into the office asking if Mrs. so -and- so was there that day, he said her class was just sitting in there with no teacher, then he was asked by THE PRINCIPAL [HERSELF] is she even here today? My God
don't they know who they have teaching our children?

I have set back and kept my mouth shut for long enough now, my kids have been belittled, bad mouthed, faslelt accused, sent where they HAD NO BUSINESS EVER BEING SENT IN THE FIRST PLACE, and I am sick of it.

I'm ready to take action aganist the school ,it's Principal[ if thats what you want to call her], and the Board , if thats what it takes. My kids are just as good if not better than some of the kids who go to Southside. YES my kids are mean, THEY ARE KIDS!, but they don't deserve to be treated like an outlaw and expelled for stupid stuff when other kids get by with far worse things than mine would ever dream of doing..........
Concerned Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

SOUTHSIDE K-8 SCHOOL HAS NOT MET THE STATE STANDARDS FOR ADEQUATE YEARLY PROGRESS IN 2008,-2009,2009-2010 AND 2010-2011 AS A RESULT, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REQUEST THAT YOUR CHILD BE TRANSFERRED TO BRADSHAW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL OR SANDY RIVER MIDDLE SCHOOL PENDING ON SPACE AVAILABILITY.

Home schooling seems like a better option for my children, and since I'm qualified to do it[ prpbably even moreso than the facualty that they have.]
I think thats what I'll do, I will discuss it with my kids first and then go from there.
Stand up

Richlands, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

All schools have issues, Southside isn't the only one, It's just the only one your kids are going to at the moment, Take them somewhere else, Guess what? You too once again will have something to complain about at their new school. There aren't enough teachers and the staff that are there are covering more than their load, They concentrate on a standardized test yearly, which take away from teaching what needs to be taught!! Look at all the schools in surrounding states, they are all struggling! You know if the schools were able to bend the kids over and bust their butts like they did us back in the day, I think a lot of it would stop. I have been in Southside School I have seen how some of the kids talk and treat the teachers. It is embarassing to say the least. And when the administration calls the parents at home, some of the parents don't want their kids to come home, heck some of the kids don't want to go home. That's sad! Put yourself in their shoes, Most of you wouldn't make it a week. But they are there for a reason, whether you want to believe it or not I know that they do care for the kids. But please by all means if you do take your kids out of the school, Please update me periodically on the progress of the new school and the faculty/staff!
Concerned Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Stand up wrote:
All schools have issues, Southside isn't the only one, It's just the only one your kids are going to at the moment, Take them somewhere else, Guess what? You too once again will have something to complain about at their new school. There aren't enough teachers and the staff that are there are covering more than their load, They concentrate on a standardized test yearly, which take away from teaching what needs to be taught!! Look at all the schools in surrounding states, they are all struggling! You know if the schools were able to bend the kids over and bust their butts like they did us back in the day, I think a lot of it would stop. I have been in Southside School I have seen how some of the kids talk and treat the teachers. It is embarassing to say the least. And when the administration calls the parents at home, some of the parents don't want their kids to come home, heck some of the kids don't want to go home. That's sad! Put yourself in their shoes, Most of you wouldn't make it a week. But they are there for a reason, whether you want to believe it or not I know that they do care for the kids. But please by all means if you do take your kids out of the school, Please update me periodically on the progress of the new school and the faculty/staff!
I agree with aabout 50% of what you said. I agree that Southside isn't the only school in the state or should I say McDowell county who has problems with overload of work, misbehaving ssudents and Parents who are no help at all. AND YES I AGREE 100% THAT DISCIPLINE SHOULD BE BROUGHT BACK INTO THE SCHOOLS, IF THERE WAS A VOTE TO BRING IT BACK YOU CAN BET THAT I WOULD BE ONE OF THE FIRST ONES TO VOTE HELL YES BRING IT BACK.....I have taught my children to respect their elders, no maatter who they are. They were taught never to raise their voices at an adult or elderly person. But I also think that that needs to go both ways, unless you are these children's parents they shouldn't be screamed at. A firm voice is sufficient.True there isn't any other schools around that would be any better than the school that they are in now, but it is so frustrating to say the least to see my kids as well as others struggling to try and maintain a grade average good enough to pass with. I do believe that some of the teachers are really concerned about these kids, but you and I both know that there are also some that are just there to get paid and don't care weather the students learn anything or not; and yes thre are a LOT of kids down here that are only here because they have to be that don't care if they learn anything or not. So therefore it seems to be a losing battle all the way around.The end result is no matter where you send your child to school ,you will find something to complain about and that is so sad because the students are the ones who are getting screwed out of the educations that they so desperately need to be able to function in todays society. Homeschooling will be a challenge but I will be the one who oversees what they are being taught and seeing how it will be a one on one, I FEEL THAT THEY WILL HAVE AN ADVANTAGE OVER THE STUDENTS AT SOUTHSIDE OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL FOR THAT MATTER. Have a good day.
OMG

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Concerned Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with aabout 50% of what you said. I agree that Southside isn't the only school in the state or should I say McDowell county who has problems with overload of work, misbehaving ssudents and Parents who are no help at all. AND YES I AGREE 100% THAT DISCIPLINE SHOULD BE BROUGHT BACK INTO THE SCHOOLS, IF THERE WAS A VOTE TO BRING IT BACK YOU CAN BET THAT I WOULD BE ONE OF THE FIRST ONES TO VOTE HELL YES BRING IT BACK.....I have taught my children to respect their elders, no maatter who they are. They were taught never to raise their voices at an adult or elderly person. But I also think that that needs to go both ways, unless you are these children's parents they shouldn't be screamed at. A firm voice is sufficient.True there isn't any other schools around that would be any better than the school that they are in now, but it is so frustrating to say the least to see my kids as well as others struggling to try and maintain a grade average good enough to pass with. I do believe that some of the teachers are really concerned about these kids, but you and I both know that there are also some that are just there to get paid and don't care weather the students learn anything or not; and yes thre are a LOT of kids down here that are only here because they have to be that don't care if they learn anything or not. So therefore it seems to be a losing battle all the way around.The end result is no matter where you send your child to school ,you will find something to complain about and that is so sad because the students are the ones who are getting screwed out of the educations that they so desperately need to be able to function in todays society. Homeschooling will be a challenge but I will be the one who oversees what they are being taught and seeing how it will be a one on one, I FEEL THAT THEY WILL HAVE AN ADVANTAGE OVER THE STUDENTS AT SOUTHSIDE OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL FOR THAT MATTER. Have a good day.
Go for it!! Maybe you can see what the teachers and principal go through each and every day!!!
parent

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

Concerned Parent wrote:
well teach your kids from right and wrong if they was'nt so mean the teachers and principal wouldnt have a problem with your kids i think there all doing a great job at that school southside has done alot for our kids wow i cant beleave your posting all this on here like this leave the teachers and principal alone there doing great my kids do great there
Nemo

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

I do find it interesting that if a parent needs to talk to a faculty member at school, they cannot get a call thru. But, if there is a problem with a child, the phone is mysteriously free. I realize that there are a lot of unruly children, but I have known for calls to be made to parents over ridiculous things too. This issue is a double edged sword. There are issues at every school. Transferring a child will not help. You cannot force a child to learn anymore than you can force a teacher to teach. Homeschooling is an option.
doctor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Three CHEERS for Southside! STOP the Bull
ummm

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

doctor wrote:
Three CHEERS for Southside! STOP the Bull
I HATE THAT SCHOOL I WISHED IT WOULD BE CLOSED DOWN FOR GOOD
parent

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

ummm wrote:
<quoted text>I HATE THAT SCHOOL I WISHED IT WOULD BE CLOSED DOWN FOR GOOD
humm must be the mom of a mean kid or you wouldn't be on here running your mouth we have a great school we love south side and all the ones who work there
truths

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

I have to say there are good ppl who work at southside but I also know that there are ppl who r there to draw a payday at the end of the pay period. Truth is when a teacher who smokes pot and does hits of acid comes into our classrooms and tells the kids he cant wait to get outta that hole there is a problem. The kids have complained to the principal about a teacher not teaching them and them having noidea how to do the subject being taught. I hear her tell the kids that she'll keep that teacher as long as she'll stay so yes our kids are being cheated. One of the problems w the school is once your child gets labeled as being a bad kid even if its for defending themselves they will always be a bad kid. Sad but true. If a teacher has so many years in the "system" then it doesn't matter if they actually teach or not. In an atmosphere where our kids shoould be taught and given an education they're being sold short and passed on to someone else or some other school to be their problems. Just a sad situation all together.
Opinionated

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

This school scares me because I really don't think there is communication between anyone. Parents never know what is happening and most teachers don't care. There are some who do, however, and they make a difference. If you try to work with the administration, I believe you will get results but you cannot go in to a conference with your mind already made up. You have to be able to compromise and resolve the situation in the best interests of all parties. Your kid cannot disrupt the school but the child should be treated fairly. Best of luck. Homeschooling is very difficult.
fair

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

i think it starts at home also. i think the parent also has to have an open mind if your child is being disrubtive then you cant come in saying NO not my child, now if your child is defending theirselves then by all means they have that right, there is alot of bullying that does go on but that also begins at home. we have to teach children to respect others. there are some good teachers there, and there are some there just for the checks it just depends on who you get. if you have the teachers that are there after hours doing things on their own time for the children im gonna guess their there for the kids. hats off to the teachers that do these things for the kids
Agree

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

I have to go get my child from school as well. I understanding them calling to let you know that they are in trouble but they give you ONLY ONE opinion. Which is to come pick your child up. I am sorry but when I was in school we got in trouble, went to the office, did our time, and was sent back to class. My child is getting send home over little things that to any sane person would seem likely nothing more worthy of a name on the board or sitting recess out. I HATE Southside. Berwind Elm. may not have had much money or the best looks but it was small enough for everyone to care and for teachers to not be such sissys and discipline kids. I tell my mother and other family members about this and they laugh...they all agree that they wouldn't come all the way down to the school for something as petty as our kids are getting in trouble for..............SAD.
doctor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

They need to stop Debbie Handy from setting in her car all the time SMOKIN and U see her down town all the time "Does she clock Out?" They need to send her home. I know she good with the kids but she needs to change her ways!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the War Forum right now

Search the War Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV How To Open A Beer With A Banana 42 min Ferguson nedeep i... 110
Cliffs 4 hr They Are 13
Question 5 hr agree 2
Catch a dealer 5 hr sickening 30
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 7 hr Hell-Sucks 22,034
WV 2 dead in explosion at W.Va. chemical plant (Dec '10) 8 hr Jimmy Love 3,940
Debate: Ferguson - War, WV Aug 17 grow-up 1
•••
•••