Marlboro schools raise taxes sharply

Aug 22, 2008 Full story: RecordOnline.com 43

The bad news will hit mailboxes here in about two weeks: School taxes are going up more than 30 percent.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe

Liberty, NY

#1 Aug 30, 2008
Last year my school taxes were $4880 and this year 6880! Marlboro school board and adminstration, you'd better start running that school like you'd run your home expenses. Cut back! Get rid of the 'good ol' boy network of creating jobs for family and friends. Cut jobs and teachers. Teachers contribute more to their health care like the rest of America is having to do. Maybe outsource the Janitors . Maybe out source the adminstration. They're not managing it very well.
George CCHS

Wurtsboro, NY

#2 Sep 1, 2008
Joe wrote:
Last year my school taxes were $4880 and this year 6880! Marlboro school board and adminstration, you'd better start running that school like you'd run your home expenses. Cut back! Get rid of the 'good ol' boy network of creating jobs for family and friends. Cut jobs and teachers. Teachers contribute more to their health care like the rest of America is having to do. Maybe outsource the Janitors . Maybe out source the adminstration. They're not managing it very well.
That makes a lot of sense... Cut back on teachers. Yep, the US is behind in education compared to many other western countries as it is and the the use of the English is terrible, reading and writing skills are at a low, social studies and history go in one ear and out the other with kids today. Oh yes and don't forget to cut out all those extra curricular activities. Yep, this will give kids more time to think about destructive things to do in the community.... maybe your mailbox or house will be targeted. Where is your mind set.... Teachers help keep kids off the streets and act as counselors that can make a difference in young peoples lives. Maybe your house is too big and you should size down. Do you need all that room and all those toys in your driveway and family room?
overtaxed

Hurleyville, NY

#3 Sep 1, 2008
Maybe getting rid of tenure would correct the poor education system in this country. At work if I don't perform I get fired not coddled. for the highest paid teachers in the area we certainly don't have the highest tests scores to match.
patrick

Newburgh, NY

#4 Sep 5, 2008
George CCHS wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes a lot of sense... Cut back on teachers. Yep, the US is behind in education compared to many other western countries as it is and the the use of the English is terrible, reading and writing skills are at a low, social studies and history go in one ear and out the other with kids today. Oh yes and don't forget to cut out all those extra curricular activities. Yep, this will give kids more time to think about destructive things to do in the community.... maybe your mailbox or house will be targeted. Where is your mind set.... Teachers help keep kids off the streets and act as counselors that can make a difference in young peoples lives. Maybe your house is too big and you should size down. Do you need all that room and all those toys in your driveway and family room?
This guy must be a teacher or have a job with the union. Obviously what happened with the energy plant hurt the tax roll but this increase is out of line. Marlborough school taxes are higher per capita than Beverly Hills and Greenwich CT. My school tax was rediculous before, now I get an increase of $6000 over last year. Save your preaching for someone who cares.
concerned mom marlboro

Manahawkin, NJ

#5 Sep 5, 2008
yes yes get rid of tenure. for a p.e teacher to be 350 lbs. and at the top of the pay scale is rediculios. pay for performance. the middle school science scores are below average because of another top pay teacher. There should be no limit as to what teachers make as long as they do what should. Get rid of those who dont..........No one will ever come back here to raise their children because there is nothing to come back to....even the sports programs are crooked, it doesnt matter how good you are, only who you are or your family is....school board member or townie from way back....whtever happened to being a good student and an athlete.. this district is as crooked as they come
Miss D

Newburgh, NY

#6 Sep 7, 2008
another note on why taxes are so high. A custodial worker at the high scool has to put in only FIVE years of work in order to get full medical benefits at retirement ---- not just for him, but for his wife too. WHY?
Outraged in Plattekill

Poughkeepsie, NY

#7 Sep 16, 2008
This will cost Marlboro taxpayers hundreds more in school taxes every month! Personally, our school taxes will now increase by approximately $1,700.00 per year on top of the exorbitant amount we already pay for our modest 2100 S.F. house! We don't have children and don't plan to, either.

We can't even fathom how this type of astronomical increase can even be legal! How can these school districts legally get away with such an unreasonable, community-crushing tax increase? Our taxes have already increased almost 100% in the past 7 years, and now this crippling blow?

They are killing our communities because now, working families like us will just cut back on our spending in the local community to absorb the increase in monthly tax expenses. Restaurants and other local businesses will suffer greatly if many people follow our path in the aftermath of this devastating news.

And what of families that no longer work or cannot work? They will lose their homes, right? And this is what theses school districts are referring to when they call themselves as being good community neighbors? This is an outrage and a disgrace to the American way!
wbink1500

New Windsor, NY

#8 Sep 23, 2008
This smacks more of the "good ol' boy network" the first guy was talking about. He didn't mean to literally cut teachers. What he meant was that teachers should teach. Why hire more teachers if the ones they have aren't doing a good job. Fire the bad ones and replace them with good ones. And keep going until the nepotism is gone. Teachers shouldn't be trying to get the most out of their "hiring package". Once teachers are in the system long enough, they learn how to 9 to 5 it. I don't care where you are. But in typical Marlboro fashion, they like to let the fat sit and fester. George CCHS is a small minded individual who has chosen to attack the reality of the situation. It is obvious that his educational background is limited. Downsize? You first! But then, what is smaller than a double wide. Burn! The problems that exist in Marlboro have existed for years. If the "powers that be" would get their heads out of their anus (learned that word in school), then Marlboro would be thriving little Town. No. They have chosen to let builders rule, business go elsewhere and detract anyone from even moving here. Yup that 's right. They don't want people moving here. Like a few less kids in the District is going to help the school budget. This is the type of double whammy that attacks District that don't think ahead but always want to keep things the same. They never planned on this. So get the flat computer screens off the office staff desks and give them to our kids. Let's buy some new books, provide healthy meals, and allow area historians to come in to tell our kids what their forefathers did here in the REvolutionary War. Those were some tough so and so's. these people here in this Town. Cowards. Just like you Goerge CCHS. If we all maximized the potential of the school by taking advantage of State funded programs, area, local and private group donations, the school will thrive. As far as the Tax Levy, I saw it coming a mile away. There ain't nothing you can do about that Pa!
George CCHS wrote:
<quoted text>
shameful- newburgh senior

Newburgh, NY

#9 Sep 29, 2008
how can you get away with increasing school taxes to crush the senior citizen? my school taxes went up $500. per month. i live on retired incme. where am i supposed to get a $500.00 a month increase to cover this? i could care less about your administrative expenses. you can be sure i'll vote any and everything down in this school district from now on! i would be happy to join a citizens group to stop these robbers.
salsbby

Poughkeepsie, NY

#10 Oct 15, 2008
I would like to know if there are any tax reform groups in the Marlboro School District. If so, I would be interested in joining. Thank you very much. svbklb@verizon.net.
hastostop

Montgomery, NY

#11 Oct 15, 2008
I want to know and so should every taxpayer in marlboro where all the accessed money went for the overage that the plant paid into all these years, that money should come out of the accessors office's not the people of marlboro who are at their wit's end trying to make end's meet with everything else that's going on.
bwild

AOL

#12 Oct 16, 2008
Miss D wrote:
another note on why taxes are so high. A custodial worker at the high scool has to put in only FIVE years of work in order to get full medical benefits at retirement ---- not just for him, but for his wife too. WHY?
Sorry if you are referring to the couple i believe you are the worker in the highschool worked in the elementary school for YEARS before he ever went to work the five years at the hs. He has more than paid his dues, this may be a fact you are unaware of. Sorry dont agree with you.
D-a-z-

United States

#13 Oct 16, 2008
patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy must be a teacher or have a job with the union. Obviously what happened with the energy plant hurt the tax roll but this increase is out of line. Marlborough school taxes are higher per capita than Beverly Hills and Greenwich CT. My school tax was ridiculous before, now I get an increase of $6000 over last year. Save your preaching for someone who cares.
I was born and raised in Greenwich; home of SkakleEthelsMurderingKin, Prescott Bush, and Diana Ross... the way the system is there as well as All big money TOWNS...Greenwich is a TOWN and it is the 3rd largest income place in the world.... Now you know why! money stays with BIG money and little money has just that.
disgusted tax payer

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Oct 16, 2008
concerned mom marlboro wrote:
yes yes get rid of tenure. for a p.e teacher to be 350 lbs. and at the top of the pay scale is rediculios. pay for performance. the middle school science scores are below average because of another top pay teacher. There should be no limit as to what teachers make as long as they do what should. Get rid of those who dont..........No one will ever come back here to raise their children because there is nothing to come back to....even the sports programs are crooked, it doesnt matter how good you are, only who you are or your family is....school board member or townie from way back....whtever happened to being a good student and an athlete.. this district is as crooked as they come
I agree they should get rid of tenure. If you or I don't perform at our jobs we get fired. The same should go for the teachers in our district. Our school board had known about this problem with the electric company for years. Unfortunately in order to get the construction project passed, they neglected to tell the taxpayers about the significant increase that would eventually be imposed on all land owners. I just hope after all debts are paid, we will see a decrease in our school taxes. Or will our district find other ways to spend our money. Please don't forget at the next vote for school board members what our present school board members did to us tax payers.
salsbby

Poughkeepsie, NY

#15 Oct 18, 2008
from recordonline.com

http://forums.recordonline.com/n/pfx/forum.as... .
----FROM www.taxnightmare.org The first meeting of The Marlborough Taxpayer's Association will be held Oct. 28th, 2008, 7:30pm, at Casey's Restaurant located in the Village of Marlborough (opposite the Post Office) on Western Ave. We expect to have several of our local representatives and someone who has set up a similar group in the area. You are cordially invited to attend and we encourage bringing any interested Marlborough taxpayers.
DR in Newburgh

Bloomingburg, NY

#16 Oct 18, 2008
How many of you are active on the schoolboard? If you were, then you could at least advocate the funds for the children and the teachers that you are bashing. Then you can insure that the teachers have the appropriate textbooks, supplies & materials. Parents hold the schoolboard accountable, & if you know corruption is going on, "REPORT IT TO THE STATE." Maybe, just maybe if you were active & the taxes had to go up you would have a legimate reason as to why this was occuring. Additionally, it is not all the teachers' fault when "little Johnny" can't read or write (and let's not forget add or subtract). Most teachers do the best they can with who sits in front of them, & yes there are some "bad" teachers but agin if you were active on the schoolboard, you could assist the administrator in getting rid of them. Tenure does not mean you can not be terminated. Also, remember, HOME is an extentension of school. What is introduced in school MUST be reinforced at home.
Outraged in Plattekill

Poughkeepsie, NY

#17 Oct 21, 2008
Yes, from now on, I will automatically vote down every school budget every time I vote- no thought required. I am tired of this robbery of my hard earned money right out of my pocket.
Our taxes went up 200.00 per month. I find it absolutely inconceivable that these school districts are legally allowed to raise taxes at such exorbitant rates!! This should be totally illegal and I will fight to see this unjust method of funding come to and end. I will join ANY organization that will strive to put an end to these robbers and household budget killers!! People are literally losing their homes over these ridiculous tax increases!

“Tech Geek”

Since: Oct 08

Newburgh NY

#18 Oct 27, 2008
I work for Dynegy in Newburgh and there are a few people that work here that live in Marlboro that are pretty ticked off about this. I guess that there's nothing that you can do, since legally, Dynegy is in the right in the matter.
bossman

Gorham, ME

#19 Oct 27, 2008
Miss D wrote:
there all related by birth or marriage and thick as thieves, like Schenectady
bossman

Gorham, ME

#20 Oct 27, 2008
disgusted tax payer wrote:
<quoted text> I agree they should get rid of tenure. If you or I don't perform at our jobs we get fired. The same should go for the teachers in our district. Our school board had known about this problem with the electric company for years. Unfortunately in order to get the construction project passed, they neglected to tell the taxpayers about the significant increase that would eventually be imposed on all land owners. I just hope after all debts are paid, we will see a decrease in our school taxes. Or will our district find other ways to spend our money. Please don't forget at the next vote for school board members what our present school board members did to us tax payers.
administrative fat

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wappingers Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Stan Stasiak 16,786
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Sep 12 positronium 6,427
Suspect livin' it up in Israel as victim's fath... (Nov '10) Sep 11 USS LIBERTY 9
Review: Eagles Nest Catering Incorporated Sep 11 JRR 2
Elliot Rodger RIP Sep 10 Jimmy Rustle 9
Library Partnership welcomes two new Partners:... Sep 9 open Hillel 1
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Sep 8 positronium 6,387
•••

Wappingers Falls News Video

•••
•••

Wappingers Falls Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Wappingers Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE