High school basketball season

High school basketball season

Posted in the Wappapello Forum

one opinion

West Monroe, LA

#1 Feb 18, 2013
Well another season of basketball is over. It went out with a splat Saturday against East Carter. We all hope Puxico would fare better in district play but the got caught by a hot 3 point shooting team 5 player for East Carter scored at the 3 point range 4 players hit twice and one score 3 times. 33 of their 69 points came from the 3 point range. Here's hoping that the new coach comes back next year. The team should grow and improve under his teaching has he also learns even more about the in and out of the game. A great coach once said after coaching 20 year that he was still learning the game GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR GUYS
Yep

United States

#2 Feb 18, 2013
They'll have a good team next year. Who's your starting 5 next year?
Myopinion

West Monroe, LA

#3 Feb 18, 2013
That a hard question but hears my answer Tucker, Payne, Techiman, Seth who stepped up big when he played and properly Ronnie. He showed up big in some games. I thing Tim should get a lot of playing time but he needs to play with a little more control. Safford, Cory, Cordell and Zack M will also help. Sorry if I forgot somebody... On next years J.V. team coach will properly bring Jordan, Chris Siler, and maybe Dare up to help the varsity in a pinch Should be a good team. ....What's you take Yep
Yep

United States

#4 Feb 18, 2013
I don't think they'll need to bring up any jv, but they may bring up Jordan just in case Zach gets in foul trouble, and maybe siler just to get him some playing time in non crucial games. My starting 5 would be tucker, Payne, Hancock, Seth, and teichman, which would leave a great bench too. Sub Ronnie or Corey for Payne or Hancock, Cordell for teichman, stafford for Seth, and if they'd still have McCoy and some others to work with. If they need to sub tucker they move teichman, jordan, Seth, or Cordell down there. The problem with this is that they're going to have to practice and play hard. This is virtually the same team as last year but with one new starter. I think they'll have a good team if they'll play together though.
Yep

United States

#5 Feb 20, 2013
I think Hancock is going to have to get a decent 3 pt shot and play guard if he wants starting time. There are 3 or 4 players who are better forwards than him, not better players, better forwards. If he could get a long range shot he could play sg. That's what the team really needs. Tucker is a good c, teichman would be good at Pf, Seth is a good sf, Payne would be a great pg. Now Hancock usually plays forward, but he's a good player and the team needs a sg, he needs to step up and take it over.
My opinion

West Monroe, LA

#6 Feb 20, 2013
I not sure about Tim playing guard and learning to shoot three pointers. My outside shooters would be Seth, Ronnie, and also have Payne shooting some outside shots. Teichman, and Tucker under the net along with Tim as the 6th man. As I said in an earlier post Tim needs to learn to play with a little more control.The thing that really hurt that team this year is when Payne got hurt. I see him stepping up big next year.
Yep

United States

#7 Feb 20, 2013
Tim is a good enough guard to bring the ball down, just not shoot. I don't think Ronnie's there yet. I've never seen him drive the ball to the rim, he shoots open 3's and hits them sometimes, but he is not good enough to be a varsity guard. He'd be my backup sg. It seems like Ronnie is scared to be opposed. He's not bad, just not aggressive enough to be a guard which requires a lot of aggression. Maybe start Corey instead of Tim but Corey is just to small and slow to ever be a dominant guard. The key to next year will be getting them to all play together.
jabber

Poplar Bluff, MO

#8 Feb 22, 2013
As stated Tim is a little out of control most of the time when handling the ball but he does get it up the court and if you think back the games the varsity won they moved the ball up the court quick. From my memory Cory and Seth were plenty fast to lead the JV team as freshmen to an outstanding record in 2011. The slowness from the JV this year has come from the coaching style of the new coach. The JV almost walks the ball up the court at the direction of the new coach. This is his method of breaking a press. Last years coach beleived in getting the ball out and taking it to the other end and scoring. To be successful next year you are correct all will have to play together. That means setting some screens for the 3 point shooters and the coach giving them the green light to shoot it and not being selfish with the ball. They will have 8 - 10 players that can score anytime they are given teh chance if the ball is passed. There are several kids who can shoot the ball well but if they dont have the green light to shoot it other teams will shut down the inside game. Lets face Tucker at his height s not going to be a dominator in title games in our conference or district. Tim does not need to develop a 3 point shot Tim needs to drive the basket under control which he can do better than anyone on the team and score. Tim has the ability to cotrol the tempo of the game and he and the other gaurds need to drive the basket and shoot the ball. Tucker typically plays a good second half but looks terrified in the first half of every game unless the oposing team is smaller than him. Most every game both teams lost this year were due to the other team out scorig them on 3 point shots. You can tell that all the other teams in the conference beleive in scoring by the 3. Tucker was a big kid last year as a JV player and the inside game worked well because the other players on the team had the green light from coach Smith to shoot and drive the basket. Now that he is no longer the biggest player on the court his game has changed. Puxico can not rely on him to be the sole scorer. The gaurds are going to have to shoot the ball ad drive the basket as well to free up Tucker for his inside game. Next year could be possibly the best team Puxico has had since the district champs of 2007. With the depth they will have on the varsity they should be able to run the ball and wear the other teams down. It seems this year was tuff on all the players because the tempo of the game which has been dictated by the coach was totally opposite from last year.
Yup

Sikeston, MO

#9 Mar 5, 2013
Whoever said Tim Smith will bring a program down was right. He took a team in Caruthersville that had a chance to compete at state level and made them have they're first losing season in 5 years. I bet Caruthersville is regretting that decision.
My Opinion

West Monroe, LA

#10 Mar 5, 2013
Coach Smith is a one trick pony. It's all about fast breaks on offense and half court press on defense. Break the press and his defense is done. Slow the fast break down and his offense is done. I'll be surprised if Caruthersville keeps him around very long
Jabber

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jul 14, 2013
Looks like the varsity team posted a good record in summer play. 20 and 1. Going to dexter and playing in the rib city shoot out this week and winning their division. Played a hard fought battle with a big school from Arkansas that had several 6' athletic players. The talk is they played a fast pace game as well as a good half court game and were relentless for the entire games. With Cory and Stafford pressuring the ball the entire game. I heard they played good team ball with 3 seniors and 2 juniors starting. Playing 4 games each day finishing with 8 victories sounds like the making if a good 2013-2014 varsity season.
haha

Jackson, MO

#12 Jul 14, 2013
Puxico will still suck. Summer ball isn't anything like Season ball.. They will still beat the weaker teams and lose to the average and above average teams. Sorry Puxico, you still suck
Faith

United States

#13 Jul 21, 2013
Puxico is looking very strong this year! They lost a little talent last year but should have more than enough to make up for it. Payne's injury crippled the team last year, but allowed other players to develop in his absence. Also Payne doesn't appear to have lost a step and I expect them to go far this year!

United States

#14 Aug 6, 2013
they will do good

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wappapello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jodeci Haynes and Melanie Anthony 1 hr todd 1
Aaron Tooke 8 hr hillbillies sweet T 3
Looking for an apartment to rent Thu hannah 2
People will know (Jun '16) Wed Lmao12356 3
use real names Jan 15 Melanie Anthony 1
Kelsey Steiner Jan 15 Melanie Anthony 5
Tyler Goodale (Jul '14) Jan 13 need a real man 31

Wappapello Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance