Area XV Housing Agency helps families...

Area XV Housing Agency helps families pay the rent

There are 26 comments on the Ottumwa Courier story from Apr 3, 2010, titled Area XV Housing Agency helps families pay the rent. In it, Ottumwa Courier reports that:

A year of waiting may be worth it for many southeast Iowa families. The Area XV Multi-County Housing Agency has a yearlong waiting list for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ottumwa Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joe

Menomonee Falls, WI

#1 Apr 5, 2010
Here is an agency that puts low income people (drug users) in a decent neighborhood and brings the entire neighborhood down to new standards.
Maggie

Menomonee Falls, WI

#2 Apr 14, 2010
A perfect way to destroy an entire town give it low income housing.
Christopher

Menomonee Falls, WI

#4 Apr 14, 2010
No one else would live in Keokuk but us crims anyway.
dave

Fort Madison, IA

#5 Apr 15, 2010
Government spending run amuck. What about the rest of the state, or is this another of Culver's ideas to single out a special interest group to help him get elected.

He sure has been busy lately. Must be gearing up for a re-election that he is going to lose.
bill

Menomonee Falls, WI

#6 Apr 17, 2010
With goverment assisted rent they can afford to buy drugs and sell them, just ask Willie
Molly

Tiffin, IA

#8 Apr 26, 2010
Not ALL low income people are druggies and not ALL druggies are low income.
Ebby

Menomonee Falls, WI

#9 May 1, 2010
Willie was on Section 8 housing and he was dealing for years with his family in the background and wife. Willie would rather deal dope, play with remote control cars than work for a living.
BDkj

Menomonee Falls, WI

#10 May 26, 2010
Its a proven fact that Scattered housing and low income housing do nothing more than contribute to school problems, welfare drain on local economy, assalts, murders, illegal drugs (lots of it). It can entirely ruin a community. Bringing property value down and tax revenue down. Having low income housing in a town can be as bad as having Rocquette in your town.
Dorthys Angel

United States

#11 Aug 10, 2010
what puts a drain on the Government funding and such is letting non americans stay in our country , giving them new cars , homes and not having them pay taxes , paying for translatours for them and thier medical care and the money so thier kids can go to school with our kids thats what . oh and they brings drugs to and sell em and they don't have to have car insurance or nothing . so stop blaming low income people only because it's not just them its also those women who go out and have 5 or 7 or 8 kids by 3 or more diffrent men that drain the government money to lets not forget them that can't keep thier legs closed because its free money thats black,white and all races .but everyone knows who is over populated the most
Saylorgirl74

Springfield, MO

#12 Aug 12, 2010
Did all you low income bashers even read the article? It says that 60% of the people using the program are elderly or disabled. I'm sure they are busy loading up their crack pipes at your expense. You should read the article before you comment. It would also be helpful if you lived in the state they are talking about. Get a grip guys.
Beth

Menomonee Falls, WI

#13 Aug 13, 2010
Drugs and drug dealers they have a large callin in Keokuk since there are few other jobs elgible to most of the hillbillys of Keokuk. All you have to do is look where the scattered units are and also on Johnson Street Rd and look at the police reports one can easily see where all the trouble is. Maybe low income housing should pay for the police departments salaries in Keokuk.
Saylorgirl74

Springfield, MO

#14 Aug 13, 2010
Low income housing belongs to the government and most low income housing units do employ an officer who deals with only those units. Ottumwa does this and lots of other places. Section 8 is where the gov. pays so much and the tenant pays so much. People utilizing this program can live anywhwere as long as the house is up to code and the landlord agrees. Any gov. housing has annual inspections. The person applying for any type of gov. housing must have a criminal background check and cannot have a felony record. Any poverty stricken area will have a drug problem. Poverty breeds hopelessness and weaker people will look for anything to take that pain away. Shady people will look for ways to take advantage of that. People today need hope and hope is very hard to come by right now.
Angel

Menomonee Falls, WI

#15 Aug 16, 2010
So your excuse is poor people do drugs. I cannot buy that because I know some doctors, lawyers and judges into drugs and their salaries are not those of poor people.
Saylorgirl74

Springfield, MO

#16 Aug 16, 2010
I'm not making an excuse for anyone, I'm only pointing out that drug use is more common among people who are depressed. You are right about drugs trancending social and economic class. I just don't happen to agree with the "poor people are the root of all evil" mentality that I'm seeing so much of lately. It's like being poor in this country is a crime. I think it's very sad that people have become so judgemental.
Wayne

Menomonee Falls, WI

#17 Aug 18, 2010
They should just lock them all up in Keokuk they are all drug users and abusers. I don't think there are any innocent people left in Keokuk, they are all guilty. Government handouts, housing, welfare, and foodstamps did this to Keokuk.
Jack Mehoff

New Hope, PA

#18 Aug 22, 2010
Why should working productive taxpayers have to feed and house these ghetto savages for free? Putting section 8 housing in decent neighborhoods is a recipe for disaster! When section 8 housing invades a neighborhood crime goes up tremendously!
Wayne

Menomonee Falls, WI

#19 Aug 22, 2010
I was visiting a friend of mine in Jacksonville, FL one time and he told me he used to live in a nice neighborhood. Section 8 housing invaded literally. Drug usage went up and murders became a daily event with assalts, robberies and everything else. My friend and his family moved.
Torre

Menomonee Falls, WI

#20 Sep 9, 2010
Its too bad Pam and Kathy dont do anything about all the bedbugs in Keokuk. I live in low income housing and it is full of them.
saylorgirl74

Springfield, MO

#21 Sep 9, 2010
There are bedbugs in Ottumwa's low income housing too. Probably all the "druggies" that live there.lmao Everyone acts like low income housing is a freakin' free condo and there are no strings attatched.
chica79

Burlington, IA

#22 Sep 9, 2010
Wayne wrote:
They should just lock them all up in Keokuk they are all drug users and abusers. I don't think there are any innocent people left in Keokuk, they are all guilty. Government handouts, housing, welfare, and foodstamps did this to Keokuk.
No NAFTA and other great government ideas did this to Keokuk. There used to be jobs here. now even with a bachlors degree you can't find a job that pays much over min. wage. Stop blaming ALL low income people many of them have no choice they can't even move away from here because it costs to much to do that also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wapello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anel sex gay (Nov '14) Jul '16 Gonzo 233 8
tom tovar pos rapist Jun '16 Ton Tovar Sexual ... 1
News West Chester woman faces meth charges Mar '16 Brandy 1
News Bernie Sanders in Iowa this weekend (Jan '16) Jan '16 Jeremy 2
News Trump visits Iowa church: gets a lesson in humi... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Dog And Pony Fraud 1
News Reaching out to Iowa evangelical voters, Trump ... (Jan '16) Jan '16 serfs up 3
Lonnie Durham (Aug '15) Aug '15 Lookingforanswers 1

Wapello Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wapello Mortgages