Contract standoff gets bitter

Contract standoff gets bitter

There are 187 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Nov 11, 2010, titled Contract standoff gets bitter. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The teachers' union request for a "jaw-dropping" 15 percent raise over three years -- which would increase the average teacher salary in Chelmsford to $74,652 -- has placed contract negotiations at a standstill, according to school officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Surprised

Tewksbury, MA

#1 Nov 11, 2010
Shame on Kathy Duffet for sharing contract information during negotiations when she claims to bargaining in good faith. Also her information was false. She is just trying to throw the school teachers under the bus once again.
Veteran

Tewksbury, MA

#2 Nov 11, 2010
These unions need a dose of reality as do most of the teachers. They are already making more money than they would in the private sector, especially with the amount of days and hours they work. The benefits and lifetime retirement need to change. We simply can't afford it based on the high salaries they get today. We all know it's about the kids is smoke. We don't need to know how much they pay into retirement, one it's still tax dollars and two the return is tremendous. I'd give the town a check right now for what I would have paid to get to retirement if they want to give me the same return/benefits. Sooner or later if the union doesn't get it's act together it will blow up on them and then it will be about the kids because we will loose alot of good teachers.
impressive

Burlington, MA

#3 Nov 11, 2010
70K for 8-9 months worth of work? Can I have the number to their negotatior? 15% over 4 years is ludicrous in this economy. How many of these teachers have summer jobs that they make money at too? Greed is a sin.
union GREED ALERT

Dracut, MA

#4 Nov 11, 2010
15 percent...... SWEET!!

that does it, I surrender, I am becoming a Chelmsford teacher!

Rain Forrest math, or something...

these folks obviously see u Chelm. taxpayers as a teet to be milked for all it is worth...

methinks that they are right!

prediction: they will get that raise
(suckers)

NMUL
Whitey

Plymouth, NH

#5 Nov 11, 2010
Unions, though once an important and vital part of this country's workers history, have now become nothing but greedy, "gimme" gangs that think they have the right to impose their will on anyone at any cost. It's about time that employers begin taking a hard stance on these outrageous demands and benefits that most american workers would never dream of demanding. I say get rid of the union all together..it's day has come and gone!
Whitey

Plymouth, NH

#6 Nov 11, 2010
Oh look...our first comment from a Chelmsford teacher...
Surprised wrote:
Shame on Kathy Duffet for sharing contract information during negotiations when she claims to bargaining in good faith. Also her information was false. She is just trying to throw the school teachers under the bus once again.
Union Hack

Merrimack, NH

#7 Nov 11, 2010
union GREED ALERT wrote:
15 percent...... SWEET!!
that does it, I surrender, I am becoming a Chelmsford teacher!
Rain Forrest math, or something...
these folks obviously see u Chelm. taxpayers as a teet to be milked for all it is worth...
methinks that they are right!
prediction: they will get that raise
(suckers)
NMUL
I agree! They will definitely get that raise and their benefits will likely get better too. Don't forget, we just had a Mid-Term Election and the political hacks that the unions voted in owe them now. I mean, what better time to negotiate a contract and a raise?

They probably won't get the entire 15%( and I stress the PROBABLY). I think that they did that to start high and then when they negotiate a 12 % raise, the taxpaying SUCKERS in Chelmsford will think that they got a deal. Then they wonder why their called useful idiots.

I'll be watching this because I love a good laugh and I am going to laugh at the taxpayers of Chelmsford as they get duped by the hacks that they'v elected.
News Hound

Casselberry, FL

#8 Nov 11, 2010
Isn't it time to do away with tenure for teachers and institute raises based on job performance? You would never see this action in the private sector. A 15% across the board increase is ludicrous in these economic times. Unions have outlived their usefulness, their function now is only to protect the inefficient worker.
Kevin

United States

#9 Nov 11, 2010
The teachers are greedy and selfish. They are paid more than enough for 180 six hour days.
The kids should ask them why they cannot go on vacation this year because mommy has to pay for the bus, or why they cannot play football because daay lost his job and they cannot aford it.
Kevin

United States

#10 Nov 11, 2010
Tell your kids to ask the teachers in class why they deserve a 15% raise when we are in a depression.
Milton Drysdale

Stoneham, MA

#11 Nov 11, 2010
Surprised wrote:
Yes, leave the press and the public out of negotiations. Lets leave it right with the parents and on the backs of the kids by working to rule just like it should be.
Let both parties put their positions in public....now thats a novel concept...actually negotiating in the light of day rather than behind closed doors. Maybe, just maybe it's because you'd be embarrassed to admit in today's economy that teachers are already seeing step raises automatically of 2-6% plus you're asking for additional 3-5% above and beyond??
Greedy pigs get slaughtered. Just remember that. Be grateful for a decent job at a decent wage. Not everyone has that chance.
no more union looting

Dracut, MA

#12 Nov 11, 2010
Union Hack wrote:
<quoted text>
the taxpaying SUCKERS in Chelmsford will think that they got a deal.
very astute

here is a little secret that I have learned from observing many people I know who live in "high rent" bedroom (read: rich) communities around Boston:

is a form of economic snobbery, self service and racism (really!)

if they keep paying the teachers more they are "educating" The Children and, in the process, locking out (economically) any, shall we say, "swarthy" types who might be thinking of moving into town (that means u, Pedro...)

is just a theory I have...needs a litte work....

is a win-win-win (or something like that...)
local observer

Dracut, MA

#13 Nov 11, 2010
Milton Drysdale wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, leave the press and the public out of negotiations. Lets leave it right with the parents and on the backs of the kids by working to rule just like it should be.
Let both parties put their positions in public....now thats a novel concept...actually negotiating in the light of day rather than behind closed doors. Maybe, just maybe it's because you'd be embarrassed to admit in today's economy that teachers are already seeing step raises automatically of 2-6% plus you're asking for additional 3-5% above and beyond??
Greedy pigs get slaughtered. Just remember that. Be grateful for a decent job at a decent wage. Not everyone has that chance.
Thanks Milton Drysdale, a local businessman, w/ some good-sense ideas (Granny: don't build that still down by the Cement Pond...)

I think they should "negotiate" in the back seat of a Cadillac, on a remote, desolate lot (we have many of those around here)

(take the cannoli...))
SC lies

Londonderry, NH

#14 Nov 11, 2010
Chelmsford School Committee bargaining in good faith????
How about the SC proposals for a longer school day, extra duties for teachers, 50% higher co-pays, demanding teachers go an extra 5 days for professional development, and 0.5% increase over 4 years?????
Oooops...did I let the SC proposals out of the bag? Ooops!!
These are all original proposals as of two years ago...
Meet in the middle and let's move on!
Right

Montpelier, VT

#15 Nov 11, 2010
Readers are right. Teachers and other public employees are voters just like you. They also pay taxes, pay their bills, are part of communities and are getting fed up with being picked upon by jealous people who couldn't or wouldn't teach, police, fight fires or perform any other public service. Just wait until current public employees retire and the "new breed" takes over and then you'll see how you like it when they take serious job actions to get what they deserve. The in-coming batch is even more militant and will not take half the garbage current employees do. All these jobs are already finding qualified applicants and more than 50% of those who enter teaching leave within 3 years for other jobs.
Right

Montpelier, VT

#16 Nov 11, 2010
I meant to say: All these jobs are already finding it hard to find qualified applicants and more than 50% of those who enter teaching leave within 3 years for other jobs.
Students

Chelmsford, MA

#17 Nov 11, 2010
You know, the union is being truley greedy with that 15 %. A two to three percent increase is way more reasonable. Bringing this to public light was probably a good thing, it'll probably send the union a message about how unreasonable a 15% tax increase is in this economy. Those teachers deserve it, I know for sure, but this town just can't afford it, and it's taking advantage. I wish they'd wake up and realize that.
impressive

Burlington, MA

#18 Nov 11, 2010
SC lies wrote:
Chelmsford School Committee bargaining in good faith????
How about the SC proposals for a longer school day, extra duties for teachers, 50% higher co-pays, demanding teachers go an extra 5 days for professional development, and 0.5% increase over 4 years?????
Oooops...did I let the SC proposals out of the bag? Ooops!!
These are all original proposals as of two years ago...
Meet in the middle and let's move on!
Oh gosh! work (gasp) 185 days a year! I couldn't imagine! work more than 6 hours a day? that's ridiculous! Maybe you should all break your contract and strike, I know there's plenty of out of work teachers out there that would kill for 60-70K a year.
observer

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Nov 11, 2010
there willl be many college grads looking for a fresh start at a much lower pay rate, Chelmsford. My recommendation would to break off talks with this greedy union and begin recruiting at these college campuses. The enthusiam of these future teacher college grads is contagious. The kids will love them.
Get rid of them ALL

Bridgewater, NJ

#20 Nov 11, 2010
FIRE AWAY!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waltham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cambridge Health Alliance Wed Justice 3
News Waltham Teacher Charged With Raping Students (Aug '06) Dec 10 Tamar T 219
Annie LaCourt (Jun '09) Nov '17 November is Coming 63
News LaCourt, Husband Charged in Connection with Fri... (Oct '12) Nov '17 November is Coming 12
Underage Drinking Party (Oct '12) Nov '17 November is Coming 11
News Pro-downtown Lowell High group has outraised an... Nov '17 Bobby L 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Cambridge (May '17) Sep '17 Ally Ike 2

Waltham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waltham Mortgages