Raytheon factory changes name to reflect Navajo character

More than two decades after Raytheon began doing business in a corner of the Navajo Nation, the $32 billion company changed the local facility's name to reflect its cultural surroundings. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Just The Facts

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Nov 21, 2009
"This is not just a change of names; it's a change of identity that better suits our employees, our region and our heritage."

What ever happened to just being Americans and being proud of that?
ponee

Cerrillos, NM

#3 Nov 21, 2009
dumb asses.....just wasting more $$$$$$.....keep the name.....and do a better job. and stop being stuck up.
str8talk wolfe

United States

#4 Nov 21, 2009
If a name change is all it took .to bring jobs to the Nation. I'd be all for it.Just another feelgood jesture.
Concentrate on job creation.On the Rez.
Not senseless gimmicks like this.
As a native im tired of being treated as a race.Not as a human being.
People claim to be tolerant.of all races.
Yet we get labeled.
On the other hand.
Congratulations!!!!!
i bet you all sleep better at nite.
Knowing u accomplished this milestone!
TomS

Tucson, AZ

#5 Nov 21, 2009
Just The Facts wrote:
"This is not just a change of names; it's a change of identity that better suits our employees, our region and our heritage."
What ever happened to just being Americans and being proud of that?
I agree....this effort is just part of the on-going national venture of being....politically-correct. The name change will only last as long as this defense contractor -Raytheon - does business. Raytheon isn't going to be around, what will the Navajo nation Govt. do then?
ponee

Cerrillos, NM

#6 Nov 21, 2009
racism from other people from other culters is OK and i can deal with it but when your own people do it on you it hurts more. the lady that did the job fair was mean and nasty yee yah....she didnt even take my resume...just judge by looks....raytheon lady you are a monster ugly too ....your attitude and the way you treat people needs to change ..
C Lee Nickel

Santa Fe, NM

#7 Nov 21, 2009
Heck, I would have supported a name change that took out the word "Raytheon" altogether...so the place wouldn't be such a potentially obvious military target....
Local Native

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Nov 21, 2009
Its a nice gesture to say the least. After 20 years of leveraging indian preferences in order to win government contracts I'm glad the ratio is 90%. Alot of companies just win the contracts, make a quick buck and leave the reservation. A payroll for 330 people is probably 10 million anually, which is distributed to our local economy... some of the contracts that are won practically guarantee a job until retirement... at least they have a stable job in this economy. In the contract world, it means a world of a difference when you say Raytheon-Diné, coming from a 32 Billion dollar company, because the question you get is.."what is dine'?"
tax payer in NM

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Nov 21, 2009
Why is it off the REZ we have to make sure you have so much of you all working, but on the REZ you can tell us to get lost your not one of us. I'm all for Raytheon, I don't care what it is called. But only 10 years and 6 mil into it? I would think 20 or 30 years for (free) just to get the jobs on the REZ.It's not that you don't have the room or the need. SJC needs about 20 more just like it here. OFF THE REZ, open to all that hope to go to work.
For the Love of

Kayenta, AZ

#10 Nov 21, 2009
Just can't please you damn Navajos can you. I am Navajo as well and I read this forum on weekends and every time it's all the same. Look at us poor Navajos were sovereign but we want it all. Please leave us alone but give us your money, we want your police protection, we want we want we want. Do something for yourselves for once, at least try .
Cursor Maniac

Tucson, AZ

#11 Nov 21, 2009
tax payer in NM wrote:
Why is it off the REZ we have to make sure you have so much of you all working, but on the REZ you can tell us to get lost your not one of us. I'm all for Raytheon, I don't care what it is called. But only 10 years and 6 mil into it? I would think 20 or 30 years for (free) just to get the jobs on the REZ.It's not that you don't have the room or the need. SJC needs about 20 more just like it here. OFF THE REZ, open to all that hope to go to work.
Big business on the reservations always hire non-Indians. To be able to do business on the reservation of course they have to agree to hire the locals, but that is the way business is done off the reservation too.
PanchoVilla

United States

#13 Nov 21, 2009
The Raytheon site up in the four corners area has always been known to Raytheon people and everyone else as NAPI (Navajo Agricultural Products Industry). Raytheon people don't even call it Raytheon. They call it NAPI.

This place does bring good jobs to the area and Raytheon is a good employer to these people.
well-now hear this

Rio Rancho, NM

#14 Nov 21, 2009
I sure as hell never saw a "white preference in hiring will be practiced here"
PanchoVilla

United States

#15 Nov 21, 2009
This place has been around for a long time. It not only hires Navajos. The management and technical staff there are all white. The workers all seem to be Navajo. They do an excellent job and are a very productive group of people. They are very hard workers and very much appreciative of their employment.

W/r to preference for whites. It doesn't get much more preferential when you have the guys running the place as anglos.

The reality of this is that all major government contractors must have something like 5% of their outsourcing business done by minority groups. Of this percentage, something like 1% or so has to be Native Americans. Don't quote me on the numbers as it's been a long time since I looked into this, but it's a very small percentage.

Apparently, you didn't look hard enough.

President Joe

Gilbert, AZ

#16 Nov 21, 2009
I say this guy Robert Joe should run for Navajo Nation President.
He's got a proven record of superior leadership and definitely the intelligence to do better than everyone since Pete McDonald.
From what I heard from employees, he's (Joe) is a pretty good guy to work for.
He's also from a pretty humble family.
I hear ya

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Nov 21, 2009
well-now hear this wrote:
you were born in the wrong era
B-Town

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Nov 21, 2009
For the Love of wrote:
Just can't please you damn Navajos can you. I am Navajo as well and I read this forum on weekends and every time it's all the same. Look at us poor Navajos were sovereign but we want it all. Please leave us alone but give us your money, we want your police protection, we want we want we want. Do something for yourselves for once, at least try .
Yes get off you dame a** and move your own feet. Time to do away with the rex and make it one state were we all have to pay taxs no more sh*t.
I hear ya

Phoenix, AZ

#19 Nov 21, 2009
PanchoVilla wrote:
This place has been around for a long time. It not only hires Navajos. The management and technical staff there are all white. The workers all seem to be Navajo. They do an excellent job and are a very productive group of people. They are very hard workers and very much appreciative of their employment.
W/r to preference for whites. It doesn't get much more preferential when you have the guys running the place as anglos.
The reality of this is that all major government contractors must have something like 5% of their outsourcing business done by minority groups. Of this percentage, something like 1% or so has to be Native Americans. Don't quote me on the numbers as it's been a long time since I looked into this, but it's a very small percentage.
Apparently, you didn't look hard enough.
I once work security there, and the workers were mostly Navajo, and the upper Management were whites. The rudist people were the Natives (my own people), at security check in and checking out.
detour dujour

Rio Rancho, NM

#20 Nov 22, 2009
Okay, then ..... how about a new slogan for the factory: "Walk in beauty; deal in death."
Night is right

Kayenta, AZ

#21 Nov 22, 2009
well-now hear this wrote:
Navajos don't need a sign to know where they aren't wanted.
Bobby Joe

Phoenix, AZ

#22 Nov 22, 2009
Let's get this straight...Robert Joe, Jr. is a NAVAJO from Seba Dalkai Arizona.
His roots are traditional Navajo.
He's married to a nice Navajo girl and is part of a illustrious family on Navajo.
His uncles are the late-Dean Jackson and Jack Jackson, Sr.
His cousins are the Jackson who are very well known on Navajo.
Rodeo is part of his roots and he's a calf roper who started a roping association a while back with Shane Hatch of Fruitland.
Robert Joe is known to be snotty, but overall, he's a nice guy. You just got to know him as a friend.
He was educated at ASU and got his engineering degree in December of 1988.
He's not a saint and the various child supports he pays attests to that.
He is also a known former ladies man and that is because he's a damn good-looking guy.
He is also a smart guy and one day, he just may be moving into the political realms.
As for his management, I would say his record speaks for itself. He's been the top guy at Raytheon for a long time, so I would say he's doing pretty good.
His cousin Carole Jackson Holyan is a high ranking manager at the Raytheon Tucson facility, so maybe smarts does run in the family.
He is the brother of Patterson Joe, Navajo attorney.
Brother of Larry Joe, engineer out of ASU
Brother of Ivan Joe, environmentalist in Window Rock
Brother of Alfred Joe, well respected jeweler.
Brother of George Joe, Navajo journalist.
Brother of Lori Goodman an activist fighting against the power plant project in Burnham.
Brother of Rita Cordalis of Fort Lewis College museum management.
And is very much a well-respected Navajo. He's not perfect, but he's a decent guy when you compare him to some of the other Navajo leaders of our time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waltham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lowell woman appealing conviction in horrific '... (Feb '08) Wed Amanda Robida 50
Tetraphase Said to Explore Sale After Drawing T... Mon howardjhonson 1
Medford Magic Shop (Feb '14) Nov 20 Magic Hat 3
Judge Peter Digangi named " A**-hole of the mon... (Sep '11) Nov 19 Justice for all 106
What Car Should You Drive Based on Your College? Nov 7 Dave Johnson 2
Bad Home Builders Nationwide (Jan '08) Nov 4 CATCANDO 43
A night of reckoning Nov 3 the irony 2

Waltham News Video

Waltham Dating
Find my Match

Waltham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Waltham News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Waltham

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]