Firefighter starts taxi service in Le...

Firefighter starts taxi service in Leominster - Sentinel & Ente...

There are 22 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jun 12, 2009, titled Firefighter starts taxi service in Leominster - Sentinel & Ente.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

The owner of the city's newest taxi company wears many hats in life. He's a firefighter, family man, part-time clown and now business owner.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jun 12, 2009
Firefighters only work a couple days a week for a weeks pay, so many have 2nd and 3rd jobs because they have so much time off.

I'm not sure we really needed to give him free business advertising as well
TracieAnn

Essex, MA

#2 Jun 12, 2009
I think it is great and I wish him well!
Caitlin

Windham, NH

#3 Jun 12, 2009
I think it's great that even in his off time this guy wants to help his community. I think he should be pround of all his hard work.

He deserves the pay he earns.
JAY

Lancaster, MA

#4 Jun 12, 2009
we should all wish him well!
leominster guy

Clinton, MA

#5 Jun 12, 2009
to JIm, yeah he might work two days a week but they are full 24hr shifts. That's 48 hrs and they have to sleep which costs another whole day out of their week. Plus you don't have any idea how difficult and dangerous being a firefighter is. So I think you shouldn't be so judgemental when you say "ONLY" a couple days for a weeks pay.
The West Newton Kid

Boston, MA

#6 Jun 12, 2009
Well, if he actually plans on driving a cab, and not just running the business; he will be placing himself in a much more dangerous situation than he is in while being a Firefighter.

More Cab Drivers die on duty every year than Firefighters (or cops), so good luck to this brave man entering into what is clearly a more dangerous and heroic job.

Those of you who will question how life threatening the job of Cab Driver actually is can find the factual data on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics webite.
wow

Leominster, MA

#7 Jun 12, 2009
The West Newton Kid wrote:
Well, if he actually plans on driving a cab, and not just running the business; he will be placing himself in a much more dangerous situation than he is in while being a Firefighter.
More Cab Drivers die on duty every year than Firefighters (or cops), so good luck to this brave man entering into what is clearly a more dangerous and heroic job.
Those of you who will question how life threatening the job of Cab Driver actually is can find the factual data on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics webite.
Darn Tootin.... Did you change your name again?
whoa

Leominster, MA

#8 Jun 12, 2009
Finally some competition!
The West Newton Kid

Boston, MA

#9 Jun 12, 2009
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Darn Tootin.... Did you change your name again?
No, I am a close personal friend of Darn Tootin; he lives right around the corner from me. We compare notes on a routine basis. He typically sees things the same way that I do.

I'll let him know that you were asking about him.
Marie P

North Reading, MA

#10 Jun 12, 2009
Good luck and I wish you well!!! We could use a cab company with drivers who respect and cabs that are clean!
The West Newton Kid

Boston, MA

#11 Jun 12, 2009
Marie P wrote:
Good luck and I wish you well!!! We could use a cab company with drivers who respect and cabs that are clean!
What makes you so quick to assume that he will be using clean cabs and respectful drivers?
Marie P

North Reading, MA

#12 Jun 12, 2009
I guess I'm just hoping that they are respectful and that the cabs are clean...
Caitlin

Windham, NH

#13 Jun 12, 2009
West Newton Kid-
Did you even read the article?
kristine

Revere, MA

#14 Jun 12, 2009
come on
Moonstruck

Athol, MA

#15 Jun 13, 2009
I just hope that this company, when you call for a cab and it arrives you don't see the cab packed with people and drive you to everyone elses destination before getting to yours. The saying goes "The tip would be bigger if the service was better"
a new taxi service

Clinton, MA

#16 Jun 14, 2009
its good to have a choice between the only two cab companys in leominster i think i will start one soon also as a person of intrest in the city of leominster
Luther Manning

Princeton, MA

#17 Jun 14, 2009
It's a fact, most firemen and policemen work 2nd jobs in addition to their full time work. Just look at the fireman in Clinton who owns apartment houses, and 2 bars in addition to working full time for the Clinton Fire Department.
Darn Tootin from W Newton

Boston, MA

#18 Jun 15, 2009
Luther Manning wrote:
It's a fact, most firemen and policemen work 2nd jobs in addition to their full time work. Just look at the fireman in Clinton who owns apartment houses, and 2 bars in addition to working full time for the Clinton Fire Department.
Due to the fact that Firefighters are VERY WELL PAID, they have the extra money for starting up businesses on the side. Lets not forget the list of the top 100 highest paid City Workers in Fitchburg that was recently published in the Sentinel and Enterprise. 30 Firefighters made the list, and none of them makes less than $76,813.98 per year! Big money for a pretty darn safe job, I would would say! Odds are these guys will have a long safe career, and they will retire with great retirement pay. And, if they are also setting up a business while they are still employed as a Firefighter, they can really get themselves in a lucrative spot once they retire. Big retirement pay and a new source of income.

Sure, a Firefighter does die on occasion on the job; but not nearly as much as many other workers in America. Again, overall it is a VERY SAFE job with very good pay and great retirement packages. And, when these guys start a business to boot; they really do live high of the hog. I see some VERY EXPENSIVE cars driving around Fitchburg with Firefighter license plates on them!
stranger

Englewood, CO

#19 Jun 15, 2009
maybe it'll make more drunks take a cab??...good luck to the owner
Russ

Porter, TX

#20 Jun 21, 2009
Sounds like he has been multi-tasking for a long time already and is good businessman, citizen and fireman. I live in Houston, TX buy have daughter in Leominster. Nice town and nicer people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waltham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
natalie amora otenti HIV POSITIVE hooker (May '16) Jul 11 Jay 4
News Solange, Migos win at BET Awards; Bruno Mars pe... Jun 26 Trump Plotza 2
News Elderly Malden customer thwarts robbery (Feb '10) Jun 25 Hook and ladder 2
News If You Have a "Big Stick" Speaking Softly Is Na... Jun '17 American 3
Ready opioids (O XY 30s) (tar) etc Jun '17 James bridge 1
News Tim Cook tells grads: Tech without values is wo... Jun '17 Comin round the m... 2
News Hillary Clinton can't stop talking about Donald... May '17 JUST SAYIN 4

Waltham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waltham Mortgages