Tax, marijuana, dogs at issue

Tax, marijuana, dogs at issue

There are 22 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Nov 4, 2008, titled Tax, marijuana, dogs at issue. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

With rallies and phone calls, e-mails and ads, supporters and opponents of three ballot questions made their final pitch to voters on the eve of Election Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Oineby

Williamstown, MA

#23 Nov 5, 2008
I'd just like to say that I voted against question two. And despite the fact that it went through, I find myself not anymore likely to smoke pot.
If you do your job as a parent, and teach your child to make informed decisions, then theres a good chance that your child will listen. Though I'll be legal to drink next year, I don't think I will. My parents showed me the power alcohol can hold over you, and I don't want anything to do with it. Thats not so say that others cannot ingest it responsibly, but its a personal preference of my own.
Point being, hope isn't lost for parents out there. Teach them while they're young, and before everyone gives them the wrong information. That applies to everything- drugs, sex, alcohol, driving ettiquette, nutrition, etc...
Teach it, enforce it, live it.

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Since: Apr 08

Chicopee, MA

#24 Dec 4, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a parent, I think all laws affect me.
I know this is old, but I've been away for awhile. I wanted to respond.

If your kid is going to smoke pot, s/he will do it whether there's a law against it or not.

I'd be more worried about any Rx drugs you keep in your medicine cabinet, or any beers in the fridge... or any hard liquor in the cabinet.

If your kid gets caught with pot, now you know that it won't put a blemish on his record. S/he will have to go through a class and do community service, and pay the fine. Before this law, it probably would have been "continued without a finding". Years ago, I got into some trouble. My case was "continued...". It kept me from getting an apartment years later. When I tried to go to Canada to visit some friends, that arrest caused a HUGE deal at the border. I even had an arrest back when I was 19 that I wasn't charged with anything (lack of evidence, case dropped) that they (border patrol) brought up. I was 30 when this all happened! So yes, that simple arrest and "continued" on a record causes a LOT of problems... even 10-15 years later. Would you really want a couple of joints to cause THAT much problem for your kids?

BTW, my 2 arrests in life weren't even drug related. Imagine how much more difficult crossing the border for a 2 week visit would have been if they were drug related arrests! I take responsibility for what I did and I've been out of trouble for years. I did what I had to do, and yet my past transgressions are still held against me, after all these years.

All you can do is teach your child what's right and what's wrong. It's up to YOU to teach them how to make the right decision, but it will be on your child to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waltham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Popular African-American hair products may cont... May 16 Jake 3
Review: Skyline Northeast May 15 Trade Show Expert 1
News A tale of two priests (Dec '05) May 11 Monday Blues 2
Review: Events & Adventures Boston Inc (Dec '08) May 4 Stuck 330
gills cannot become lungs - fins cannot become ... May 2 Everettcitizen 2
Review: Allergy Associates - Chi S Wang MD (Jun '09) Apr '18 Commenter 57
Review: Allison Marie Smith Jan '18 ALLISON MARIE SMITH 1

Waltham Jobs

Personal Finance

Waltham Mortgages