Mass. for the defense

Mass. for the defense

There are 10 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Nov 26, 2008, titled Mass. for the defense. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

One sector of the Massachusetts economy that has so far been relatively impervious to the meltdown elsewhere is defense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

Dave HARDING

Springfield, NJ

#1 Nov 26, 2008
Wait just a minute, EAGLE. The President-Elect is talking about sending more troops to Afghanistan. Troops need arms and munitions. You can't have both an increase of troops for Afghanistan and cuts in defense. Can we expect an editorial calling for bringing ALL of the troops home?
Tricia

Northampton, MA

#2 Nov 26, 2008
Yes, but let's not do what Democrats normally do when they are in office which is to decimate the military. George Bush faced a military that was completely unprepared for any military excursions thanks to eight years of Clinton. Will the Democrats learn their lesson this time?
bootrobo

Glens Falls, NY

#3 Nov 26, 2008
Dave HARDING wrote:
Wait just a minute, EAGLE. The President-Elect is talking about sending more troops to Afghanistan. Troops need arms and munitions. You can't have both an increase of troops for Afghanistan and cuts in defense. Can we expect an editorial calling for bringing ALL of the troops home?
There going to settle it the old fashion way, a game of marbles, winner takes all.
Prove me wrong

Latham, NY

#4 Nov 26, 2008
Tricia wrote:
Yes, but let's not do what Democrats normally do when they are in office which is to decimate the military. George Bush faced a military that was completely unprepared for any military excursions thanks to eight years of Clinton. Will the Democrats learn their lesson this time?
No, the dims will not learn the lesson. That's why they will be out of power again in a few years. And so it goes...
Scott

Hoosick Falls, NY

#5 Nov 26, 2008
The war in Iraq is winding down? I nearly gagged on my coffee when I read that. Sadly, you're left with only hope. There are now more US government mercenary/contractors in Iraq than there are soldiers. There is not yet real cause to believe in any change, campaign speeches notwithstanding.
Prove me wrong

Latham, NY

#6 Nov 26, 2008
The stupidity of the Eagle knows no bounds.
T Soprano

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Nov 26, 2008
I thought you guys were the spirit of America..
charles

Northville, NY

#8 Nov 26, 2008
the money being spent on the pentagon budgets has been insane,because so far 4.8 trillion dollars been spent on the pentagon budgets,including the war supplementals for that stupid war in iraq that we were lied to about from bush and cheney and the republicans.so this adds on even more huge deficits to the usa national debt which is over 10 trillion in debt.then spread the our war efforts thin with the amount of soldiers in certain areas of combat
Alice T

Newton Upper Falls, MA

#9 Nov 26, 2008
The 1,000 employees of General Dynamics in Pittsfield have been notified that the Eagle thinks they will soon be unemployed. The Eagle thinks now that Bush is gone, there is no need for a military. Perhaps it's time for a reality check.

First, we just found out that Iran now has the material for at least 1 nuclear bomb. Ahmadinijad tells us daily that he wants to annihilate Israel. Perhaps we might need some military capability after all.

Today in Mumbai, India we learned that nearly 100 people were killed in attacks directed at westerners. The body count isn't complete yet.

Pirates out of Somalia are capturing ships and crew. CAIR has been charged with funneling money collected in the US to Islamic terror groups. Regardless, the Eagle says the defense workers and the military are not needed.

Sure we could use the money for more bailouts and social programs, but since when can't we afford self defense? Think about the alternative.

Since: May 08

East Otis, MA

#10 Nov 26, 2008
Dave HARDING wrote:
There are many ways to shrink the defense budget without having a deleterious effect on the Ground Pounders!
Exotic weapons systems that are unnecessary for the battlefields of today,can be shelved for the time being,if we stop arming the Saudis we can save a few billion a year,and we will start seeing a reduced expenditure of perhaps a billion a month in Iraq in a year or so!
We need to focus on Afghanistan,and we need to end the saga of BinLaden once and for all!
SEMPER FI

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waltham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Allison Marie Smith 18 hr ALLISON MARIE SMITH 1
News Three men arrested after attempted home invasio... Jan 4 Headly Bray 2
News Medical marijuana dispensary proposal aired at ... Dec '17 Jerry O Rourke 3
attempted murder disconnected fire alarms walt... (Apr '16) Dec '17 Frankfrank 3
Cambridge Health Alliance Dec '17 Justice 3
News Waltham Teacher Charged With Raping Students (Aug '06) Dec '17 Tamar T 219
Annie LaCourt (Jun '09) Nov '17 November is Coming 63

Waltham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waltham Mortgages