UConn Law School Library Repairs To G...

UConn Law School Library Repairs To Get Costlier

There are 18 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Sep 12, 2008, titled UConn Law School Library Repairs To Get Costlier. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Contractors repairing the unstable, leaking facade of the University of Connecticut law school library have found new structural problems that likely will increase the $19 million repair job by at least $1 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

george

Southbridge, MA

#1 Sep 12, 2008
All those lawyers and they can't figure out how to get a building properly constructed? Ha!
a3digitiq

Binghamton, NY

#2 Sep 12, 2008
The stupid architects must be held responsible for their incompetent design, bear the costs of the repairs, and be prevented from designing any more public works projects.
stafford

Stafford Springs, CT

#3 Sep 12, 2008
a3digitiq wrote:
The stupid architects must be held responsible for their incompetent design, bear the costs of the repairs, and be prevented from designing any more public works projects.
The architect will never be held accountable for thier shabby design. I just don't say this, it is a matter of fact.I have experiance is this field and as a contractor and building committee member I have been
involved with many engineers and architects and can tell you that most are Egoistical charlatans who are looking to dump on the weakest link in the process.
High School Parent

West Hartford, CT

#4 Sep 12, 2008
Wonderful.......so tuition next year will rise once more...to accomodate this expense.
Common Sense

AOL

#5 Sep 12, 2008
Come on it's only $1million on a $19million job, that is less than what the basketball coach gets in a sneaker contract. It all comes from a black hole, relax and try to profit off it like everyone else.
FED UP

Holyoke, MA

#6 Sep 12, 2008
A collosal monument to UCONN administrators' incompetence and egotism just got more collosally disasterous. Good job. Thank god they weren't allowed to build a new hospital on our dime.
sick of morons

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#7 Sep 12, 2008
FED UP wrote:
A collosal monument to UCONN administrators' incompetence and egotism just got more collosally disasterous. Good job. Thank god they weren't allowed to build a new hospital on our dime.
Hey Einstein - UCONN did not have a hand in the initial construction of their law library. The Department of Public Works had control. And guess what? The Dept. of Public Works is not part of UCONN. But now, in this instance, UCONN has to clean up another agency's mess. Before you post, make sure you have your facts straight. Otherwise, keep your fingers off the keyboard and your thoughts to yourself. Oh! And use spellcheck please.
Just a guy

New Haven, CT

#8 Sep 12, 2008
If I remember correctly the state took a 2 year warrantee on a building (this building) that is intended to last 100 years. But, since it is common knowledge that so many government employees are incompentent/not qualified, the contractors should still pay.
Huskybs

Marion, CT

#10 Sep 12, 2008
this is uconn husky country husky football husky basketball husky baseball husky pocket pool husky circle jerk
raymond roode-canterbury

North Egremont, MA

#11 Sep 12, 2008
Seems taxpayers are getting shafted again.
Who got kick backs here- just don t look at the contractor
All in the best interests of the people.
EINSTEIN

Hartford, CT

#12 Sep 13, 2008
sick of morons wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Einstein - UCONN did not have a hand in the initial construction of their law library. The Department of Public Works had control. And guess what? The Dept. of Public Works is not part of UCONN. But now, in this instance, UCONN has to clean up another agency's mess. Before you post, make sure you have your facts straight. Otherwise, keep your fingers off the keyboard and your thoughts to yourself. Oh! And use spellcheck please.
Dear Moron,

You're wrong - I know, I was there. There were plans and money all drawn up for a totally different building for that spot, but Dean Macgill had to have a building that MATCHED the ones already there so he rammed through HIS idea for another stone monstrosity. If he had stuck to what he knows - law, not architechure and construction - this whole debacle would not have occurred. Chalk up another failure for the world's most unethical Dean.
EINSTEIN

Hartford, CT

#13 Sep 13, 2008
sick of morons wrote:
<quoted text>
And, get your finger off your ---- and think twice before you disagree with someone more knowledgable than you. Go post on the Bridgeport Post website.
time to pay the piper

Greenfield, MA

#14 Sep 14, 2008
you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Sorry to offend you govenor Palin.
Fed Up

United States

#15 Sep 14, 2008
Giving UCONN control over the project to fix the DPW mess-up is like giving the keys to the hen house to the fox. UCONN did such a wonderful job on the Storrs campus (not).
gutren

Marion, CT

#16 Sep 14, 2008
george wrote:
All those lawyers and they can't figure out how to get a building properly constructed? Ha!
your statement does not compute. are lawyers gifted in areas of architecture, construction and code inspection?
gutren

Marion, CT

#17 Sep 14, 2008
EINSTEIN wrote:
<quoted text>
And, get your finger off your ---- and think twice before you disagree with someone more knowledgable than you. Go post on the Bridgeport Post website.
so what the Dean wanted a particular design..what does that have to do with the idiots (probably) including yourself who mucked up the execution.
sick of morons

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#18 Sep 16, 2008
EINSTEIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Moron,
You're wrong - I know, I was there. There were plans and money all drawn up for a totally different building for that spot, but Dean Macgill had to have a building that MATCHED the ones already there so he rammed through HIS idea for another stone monstrosity. If he had stuck to what he knows - law, not architechure and construction - this whole debacle would not have occurred. Chalk up another failure for the world's most unethical Dean.
I know as well, I was there too (watching the building go up from HT) and Hugh was not the only one who wanted a matching building - HOWEVER, DPW was still in charge of building the Library (whatever the architectual design) and they failed miserably at overseeing the construction of a safe, functional building. Don't blame this one on the Dean. He wasn't out there with a hammer, taking shortcuts.
Taxpayer

Hartford, CT

#20 Sep 20, 2008
I think the last post is not appropriate here and should be deleted. Whatever personal issues one may have with an individual law school administrator should not be aired in this forum. Regardless of who did or didn't want this building built, it's here and the problem needs to be addressed. Dean Macgill did many good things for the Law School even if he did make some mistakes and alienate some people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waltham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Allergy Associates - Chi S Wang MD (Jun '09) Apr 13 Commenter 57
News Baker Delivers Funding For Pittsfield's Long-aw... Mar '18 Bull Chit 1
Review: HomeWiz Feb '18 donna 1
News Filling an Educational Void Feb '18 Maggie 2
Review: Allison Marie Smith Jan '18 ALLISON MARIE SMITH 1
News Three men arrested after attempted home invasio... Jan '18 Headly Bray 2
attempted murder disconnected fire alarms walt... (Apr '16) Dec '17 Frankfrank 3

Waltham Jobs

Personal Finance

Waltham Mortgages