Stay-at-home moms, you're worth $117,000

Stay-at-home moms, you're worth $117,000

There are 36 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 9, 2008, titled Stay-at-home moms, you're worth $117,000. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

If a stay-at-home mom could be compensated in dollars rather than personal satisfaction and unconditional love, she'd rake in a nifty sum of almost $117,000 a year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Boka

Bangkok, Thailand

#1 May 9, 2008
A copy of this study will be in every divorce lawyer's portfolio. We can expect TV ads, "Mothers did you know your ex-husbands owe you at least $117,000 per year plus child support?

Call!
Homer Simpson

Miami, FL

#2 May 9, 2008
Hey, I want some of that money. Marge has been on vacation with Selma and Patty for a couple months. I have been doing house work and taking care of the kids plus working hard at the power plant. Lets see, 2/12 x $117,000, someone owes me $19,500.

Woohoo, I'm heading for Moe's and a cold Duff beer.
Big Al

AOL

#6 May 10, 2008
Silly. Doesnt take into account quality of performance, which is key factor in determining pay in real world. Some mothers are worth 1/10th that, and their children are now clogging our headlines with their crimes.
John Galt

Jonas Ridge, NC

#7 May 10, 2008
This will just lead to more entitlement among the lazy. My ex did not cook, clean, do anything in the yard. She cited these studies in divorce to justify her value. I did the shopping the cooking, the yard work, maintained 4 cars, a boat, the house and brought home a large six figure salary. Why do we never see studies on the value of a father?
joe

Hollywood, FL

#8 May 10, 2008
I can get a guatamalan for 6 bucks an hour
Mike

West Palm Beach, FL

#9 May 10, 2008
Agree with most so far. This silly puff piece is absurd. Cooking, cleaning, shopping and making sure the little dears don't hurt themselves too bad is NOT a full time job, let alone one requiring 6o+hour per week and $100k+ value. Oddly enough a significant percentage of these overworked "stay at home moms" can tell you chapter & verse about Oprah and the entire daytime TV schedule, and if telephone and cell phone usage minutes were deducted from their "work" time, we would find that non-educational time spent dealing with the kids(educational time varying from zero to a lot) and "keeping house" was far less than a 40 hour week if you actually are working. The very best spend time teaching their children the basic, but from the percentage arriving at school unprepared, I would not call it a majority.

Staying home is a choice many make for selfish reasons and many cannot make for economic reasons. Many of the homes of working mothers are far more organized and clean than the "stay at homes" I know, and a working life outside the home allows women to discuss things other than junior's bowel movement. Have you ever noticed how "staying home with the kids" transform into staying on the couch or at the mall momma, even after the kids are in school all day. We continue to suggest that men who do not put up with such crap are somehow either inadequate "providers" or being unfair to the kids, when in reality, the role model of voluntary housekeeper may not be the best for the formative years of intelligent young women. Being a Mom is great, but it is not a job and should not be viewed as one, any more than being a father. Growing up I learned a lot from my dear Mom growing out of her workplace activities...first and foremost that women can do a lot more than just have kids, cook, clean and shop.
Wiz

Charlotte, NC

#10 May 10, 2008
$117,000? Nice try.

If a man were to hire a full time nanny to do all the "jobs" mentioned he'd pay about $35-40,000 a year.

On the one hand women want everyone to believe that raising kids is the hardest thing in the world and requires countless hours of work. Then feminists turn right around and claim women can do it "on their own" and don't need a man, and can be a great single mom while working a full time job.

Which is it? You can't have it both ways.
Edward

Boca Raton, FL

#11 May 10, 2008
If this is so, how come women are on welfare when they can make 3 times what a man can sitting home and watching tv?

Maybe we need to change the law to match these facts!
PAinFL

West Palm Beach, FL

#12 May 10, 2008
This is absurd. No boss, make your own hours, no performance reports, and you want $117k per year? LOL, ROFL
Indy

Powder Springs, GA

#13 May 10, 2008
John Galt wrote:
This will just lead to more entitlement among the lazy. My ex did not cook, clean, do anything in the yard. She cited these studies in divorce to justify her value. I did the shopping the cooking, the yard work, maintained 4 cars, a boat, the house and brought home a large six figure salary. Why do we never see studies on the value of a father?
Good husbands and fathers are terribly under-valued by our society, imho. I really appreciate my husband, who is also a terrific dad.

I view my role as a (mostly) sahm is to keep things going smoothly on the home front so he's not extra stressed on the work front. We look at each other as teammates. We need, love and value each other.

When thinking of getting married, I would recommend that people ask themselves "is this a person I'd want to be in a fox-hole with?" :) Because that is what life is sometimes.
E FInley

Jonas Ridge, NC

#14 May 10, 2008
What a cute study!

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

Who wants cookies?
Mom of High schooler

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 May 10, 2008
I figured it out why you are so angry. All the posters are men! For the ones who have stay at home wives, you should appreciate them more. My husband makes alot of business trips out of town and if I had a full time job my kids would be who knows where. Since I am a stay at home mom my children are taken care of. I know what they are doing at all times. I am not a SAHM that does nothing! Come to my house and I can show you all the things that I accompish in one business day.
Say What

Boca Raton, FL

#16 May 10, 2008
Most husbands I see get raked over the coals for alot more than $117k/year anyway. Example conversation :' Let me introduce you to my future ex-wife Mary ".
Wiz

Charlotte, NC

#17 May 10, 2008
Mom of High schooler wrote:
I figured it out why you are so angry. All the posters are men! For the ones who have stay at home wives, you should appreciate them more. My husband makes alot of business trips out of town and if I had a full time job my kids would be who knows where. Since I am a stay at home mom my children are taken care of. I know what they are doing at all times. I am not a SAHM that does nothing! Come to my house and I can show you all the things that I accompish in one business day.
I'm sure you do a lot...good for you. But if you were to hire someone to take over for you for a month, so you could have a break - would you pay them $9750 for that month?

Didn't think so. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. And a full time nanny gets paid less than half of the figure this article came up with. That is the test of market value, not some bogus study that says moms should be paid as CEOs and psychologists.
bad boy

Miami, FL

#18 May 10, 2008
Old non-news; thanks for the hype, oh newshounds of the mighty Sentinel.
A Feminist

Powder Springs, GA

#19 May 10, 2008
Oh, please...I'm so tired of hearing how much stay at home mothers are worth. Quite frankly, I find them lazy. Normal women in the workforce do everything a "stay-at-home" woman does and works a full time job on top of that. "House-wife?" Puh-lease. What woman doesn't do all the cooking, cleaning and child-rearing these days? Working women just do it and don't whimper about how much their extra housework is worth....Grow up "stay at home moms..." and get a real job.
Mike

West Palm Beach, FL

#22 May 10, 2008
A Feminist wrote:
Oh, please...I'm so tired of hearing how much stay at home mothers are worth. Quite frankly, I find them lazy. Normal women in the workforce do everything a "stay-at-home" woman does and works a full time job on top of that. "House-wife?" Puh-lease. What woman doesn't do all the cooking, cleaning and child-rearing these days? Working women just do it and don't whimper about how much their extra housework is worth....Grow up "stay at home moms..." and get a real job.
Worse yet, they have no idea how hard many women (and men) fought to give them the right to a fair place in the workplace. Many similarly have no clue how women in the rest of the world really do suffer. Instead, we feed this fantasy of June Clever, brood mare and consort to executive Ward, as the equal of a female associate at a major law firm working 50 hours a week and still taking care of the kids and the house. Maybe a moron like Lou Dobbs can blame their plight on illegal aliens, he does everything else. I enjoyed your post.
Boca is Best

Hollywood, FL

#23 May 10, 2008
Poop wrote:
<quoted text>exactly, go to Boca shopping center one day, see the moms in their work-out clothes, with their little brats sleeping in their strollers, all complaining about what a tough life they have, while drinking $5. latte's. Give me a break, ugly B*tches!
Boca is Best, Boca women deserve the best. Boca is Better than the rest of Florida.
massachusetts resident

Acton, MA

#24 May 26, 2008
to: a feminist:

i am so relieved to find that someone else thinks as i do. these bogus fakers know that they do nothing all day but shop, blab on the phone and meet other mommies for whatever..using the playground for an excuse to socialize, the mall to justify "shopping" and plenty of time to meet at starbucks and complain while the brats run in circles around them. you are correct on the daytime tv thing, those shows stay in the ratings for someone and it isnt working people out there bustin a** for a living. its for the elderly, the unemployed(re:sahm) and people too retarded to bag groceries down at the local grocery store.
id say that the majority of veiwers are shams and that if they all went out and got a real job the ratings would plunder.
its such a shame that so many people fall for the fallacy. taking care of kids is is hard work yes. no one can argue that but only if you actually do it, and do it right EVERY DAY. if done, right then there should be no lonely, bored housewives you wouldnt have time to be bored..the house should be clean, dinner should be ready when your wallet returns from the real world and the kids should be well behaved seeing as you have every day of your life to accomplish this. there is no excuse for a messy house, frozen pizza for dinner or ill behaved children. lets see now..with alll the shams staying home these days there should be a huuge amount of well behaved kids out there..right? where are they?
lets face it, its all a huge lie..shams dont want to stay home for the children thats just a pathetic excuse..its more like "i dont want to get a job..its toooo harrrrdddd.
grow up and smell the commute, the punch cards and the deadlines..get real and stop trying to mooch off your wallet.
aol

Sudbury, MA

#25 May 26, 2008
i totally agree with feminist

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waltham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bitter flaw in Melanie's law (Jul '08) Sun EverettCitizen 84
News RiverSource aims to improve image (Jun '07) Aug 15 Wanda English 13
News Classic Italian family cuisine at its very best (Mar '08) Aug 11 Mr Mike Dulude 9
News Fitchburg on way to being pot hot spot? Aug 4 Christi 2
News 10 New Job Openings Near Melrose (Jun '14) Jul '16 Real power 3
News Somerville Says: "Black Lives Matter" (Dec '14) Jul '16 bozo 5
News Pittsfield officials reflect after Taconic High... (Jun '15) Jul '16 Tom Fontaine 12

Waltham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waltham Mortgages