Just here

Lawton, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Lawton has NOTHING for kids to do and that is why they are is trouble.... I would rather drive to OKC or W. Falls to shop... Lawton it ugly and they are fixing up the WRONG side of town! All you hear it TAX TAX TAX. They need to get ALL new people on the board to fix this place
cant stand midwest

Lawton, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Dont like it? Move to Detroit.
Oh Brother

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

cant stand midwest wrote:
Dont like it? Move to Detroit.
Really? I would rather eat crap and die.
Robbie

Elgin, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Well, at least on 82nd street we are getting a target and other stores, also we have loads more restaurants since 2010, plus we should be getting more... I do think that since they finished the new city hall, Our council is doing more for the town, like road reconstruction. As for Fort Sill, It's growing and moving to put more restaurants in it, such as Subway, Taco bell, and Pizza Hut. So it's improving. The city is really trying to move forward with 2nd street, so It may take some time. Lawton is getting better, it'll be a good city in about 10 years, let's hope.
Robbie

Elgin, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

2nd street:(unofficial) khols; bed, bath, and beyond; shoe carnival; famous footwear; petco.
82nd street:(official) target (summer 2013); (everything else opens after that) Kirkland; dress barn; lane Bryant; tj maxx; petsmart; chuck e. Cheeses.(This is only the official stuff for 82nd street phase 1 of 2 phases, other restaurants and businesses are still to be negotiated with.)
ddg

Wolfe City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

ok resident wrote:
WOW! How uninformed you truly are! The army pays our rent on a 200,000 home huh? Only if you are a high ranking officer do you make enough to pay that kind of money in BAH! Its the realtors who take advantage of the families and refuse to fix sub standard housing and steal from our soldiers and families who are willing to die for our freedom. The used car dealerships do the same, taking advantage of young GIs instead of advising theese young people away from home to make smarter decisions. I would say that Lawtons SCUM FEEDS off the military and tries to drag us down with them. Yet our families still try and make the best of where we are instead of whining how Lawton Sucks! We can stay out of your theatres if you'd like and refuse to shop off post. Your stores would go out of buisness!!!!! And we'd still have the commissary that you try to sneak on post and use! If Fort Sill were to move this place would be a belly up ghost town in a matter of months except for Pecan Valley as most of them work at Goodyear. Thank you to all the soldiers who sacrifice daily so that we may have the freedom to blog about stupid shit!
Outstanding
ddg

Wolfe City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

If it wasn't for the Army, This places will be dust.
ddg

Wolfe City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Lawton IS Pretty Bad wrote:
Let me first clarify my post by saying that I am not employed by, or associated with, Ft. Sill. Those of you who believe that soldiers are to blame for the poor conditions in Lawton exhibit your utter lack of understanding of the politics and entrenched power structures within this community. Without Ft. Sill's impact on Lawton's economy do you honestly think Goodyear, the hospitals, and the City of Lawton (some of the largest employers here) would keep this community employed and thriving? I urge you to check out the wages on their public web pages. Goodyear can only hire so many.
There is a group of lifelong Lawton residents who are influential business people within this community that determine which companies move into the Lawton area. These people do not sit on the City Council; however, rest assured they have significant influence with the Mayor, the City Attorney, and the Council members. I have worked with and seen these "power players" in action. They actively protect their own real estate and business interests over the people of this community. Collectively they will lobby and pressure those in public positions to keep new businesses out of the Lawton area by denying tax incentives, business license applications, the sale of land, etc. The City of Lawton has superseded State and Federal law and been reprimanded in the higher courts because they, and their "founders" believe they are such an entity unto themselves.
Lawton is a discount town and will always be a discount town. The people here want something for nothing - unless of course they are selling something to someone else. Business owners want skilled employees for minimum wage with no benefits. When the only accredited college in SW Oklahoma and the local hospitals continue to pay their support staff $8.50 -$9.10 an hour (a dollar more than minimum wage) what do people expect? Ft. Sill remains one of the best paying places to be employed besides Goodyear. Wichita Falls with its varied industry base, does not rely solely upon its military to support its economy, has always been more diverse than Lawton.
You want culture? Shopping? A reprieve from the "discount town" mentality? Then unfortunately you will have to look elsewhere. Tulsa, Dallas, Wichita Falls... even Oklahoma City has been making major efforts to bring in cultural events with the renovation of Bricktown and the Ford Center. You will not find it here. In the meantime, thank your lucky stars that Ft. Sill was wise enough to embrace a strategy that included joint-force training with the Air Force, expanding to include new missions (which brought untold millions of dollars into this economy) and kept them off the base closure list. Do you know that Lawton's schools receive a government stipend for every military child that attends public school? Without Ft. Sill, Lawton would dry up and blow away. The ultimate question remains whether or not this would be tragedy.
No, I'm not a military wife. Yes, I have an education. Lawton's a dreary town with a horrid infrastructure that I've been associated with for 20 years. There will never be the change here that people are looking for because the mentality of the people here will never change. Make the best of it and travel when you can ... there is life outside this time warp out there! ;)
You have a gift for saying what I feel.
Thank you so.
S_O_C_K_S

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2012

B.U.M.P.

S.O.C.K.S.
Soldier

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

sw oklahoma wrote:
i dont know. lawton was a craphole when i was in highschool and it isnt much better now. all i can really say is that atleast they moved the strip clubs out of city limits. in my opinion we have too many army people here. why dont they sent them to el paso instead of sending them here from el paso. the traffic sucks, the food suck, you cant find a house that doesnt smell like cat urine for under 1000 dollars a month, and the town is infested with trashy people, not to mention the influx of bums.
we wouldn't want to be in wack Lawton either.
Earnest-T-Bass

Norman, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Robbie wrote:
2nd street:(unofficial) khols; bed, bath, and beyond; shoe carnival; famous footwear; petco.
82nd street:(official) target (summer 2013); (everything else opens after that) Kirkland; dress barn; lane Bryant; tj maxx; petsmart; chuck e. Cheeses.(This is only the official stuff for 82nd street phase 1 of 2 phases, other restaurants and businesses are still to be negotiated with.)
every single place you mentioned is a $7.25 an hour job. ok lets figure 40 hrs per week(i doubt it) that comes to a total of $1,160 per month. poverty. pure and simple. with poverty come drugs, gangs, and crime. how many murders and violent assaults do you folks have so far this year.
Half Okie

Rockwall, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

LOL, my dad left Lawton because it sucked and that was back in 1937!
Truth

Fletcher, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Lawton sucks for several reasons, but the main reason, economically, is because the whole town is built on deceit and lies. City officials have manipulated the city limits to include a portion of Fort Sill, which gives them the ability to manipulate the actual population into something that it isn't. This brings new businesses, under a false pretense, to an area that cannot possibly support the new businesses. Lawton officials would have you believe that the population of Lawton is in excess of 100K, when the reality is that the population of all Comanche County is 93K, and would not bring so much as an Olive Garden.
The remaining reasons stem from the large number of retirees that settle into the area from Fort Sill. These are people who have been used to a military genre, where they have been pushed around from place to place, never learning the true method of "how to get along". They settle here and never truly learn to become part of a society that is not under some chain of command. They raise their children in this same demeanor. They treat their employers/employees with this same demeanor. They treat their friends and neighbors with the same regard, which is opposed to growth and welfare. But, none the less, these mentally warped humans are allowed City Council positions, and other like areas, where it just continues to stifle human growth.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

HICK TOWN!!"..
FEEDING FRENZY on FORT SILL...w/o...the Military.. Bucks.. LAWTON..may as well be considered a One Horse Town..Better yet..leave it for the roaming Buffalos..
LadyBad

Lawton, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Colorado Chick wrote:
HICK TOWN!!"..
FEEDING FRENZY on FORT SILL...w/o...the Military.. Bucks.. LAWTON..may as well be considered a One Horse Town..Better yet..leave it for the roaming Buffalos..
Everyone needs to get busy on a job to a job and better get there's straight before TRYING to correct the other ain't none of YOU God almighty power so everything you feel and felt and will feel bout Lawton, Oklahoma is irrelevant and your comments are to me sounds LIKE BLAH BLAH BLAH IM A WHINY LIL BITCHs AS LONG AS YOU GUYS ARE OUT STAY OUT AND WHOEVER'S HERE GET YA LIFE STRAIGHT AND YOU GONE BE 6 FT IGHT GET IT TOGETHER LAWTON KNOW

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

LadyBad wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone needs to get busy on a job to a job and better get there's straight before TRYING to correct the other ain't none of YOU God almighty power so everything you feel and felt and will feel bout Lawton, Oklahoma is irrelevant and your comments are to me sounds LIKE BLAH BLAH BLAH IM A WHINY LIL BITCHs AS LONG AS YOU GUYS ARE OUT STAY OUT AND WHOEVER'S HERE GET YA LIFE STRAIGHT AND YOU GONE BE 6 FT IGHT GET IT TOGETHER LAWTON KNOW
. Chick, INSTEAD of sitting TALL in your saddle..MAYBE, YOU need to get your hands duty..AND rustle up some marketing skills to ATTRACT NEW BUSINESSES to the LAWTON AREA!!
wtf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2013

Wow okay so anyone who knows anything and has actually lived in lawton would know that without the military there would be no money in the town. I personally don't like the military I actually would prefer them to not be there They mostly bring bad values and horrible music Along with the reason for all the horrible traffic is apparently everyone from other places can't drive for shit notice that it's the ones with foreign plates that hold up the traffic. But I am smart enough to know that without then the town with guy we need their money Goodyear is just not enough to support the town. Lawton Is getting the new the mall on the west side of town now We will have a ton of stores. But I don't like it what is so wrong with a mom and pop shop? Keep the money in our town keep the money in our country not China Chain stores is one reason this country is doing bad. Wake up people every post I read was stupid I don't know where these bums are I have yet to see one and I have lived here for 27 years. Rent houses usually suck but there is always a ton of places to choose from at least. Also I don't know where you guys are getting this from lawton filled with old rich white men Who run the town. I wonder if half of these people have ever even been there And if you don't like my town move please I don't want you there
wtf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2013

Truth wrote:
Lawton sucks for several reasons, but the main reason, economically, is because the whole town is built on deceit and lies. City officials have manipulated the city limits to include a portion of Fort Sill, which gives them the ability to manipulate the actual population into something that it isn't. This brings new businesses, under a false pretense, to an area that cannot possibly support the new businesses. Lawton officials would have you believe that the population of Lawton is in excess of 100K, when the reality is that the population of all Comanche County is 93K, and would not bring so much as an Olive Garden.
The remaining reasons stem from the large number of retirees that settle into the area from Fort Sill. These are people who have been used to a military genre, where they have been pushed around from place to place, never learning the true method of "how to get along". They settle here and never truly learn to become part of a society that is not under some chain of command. They raise their children in this same demeanor. They treat their employers/employees with this same demeanor. They treat their friends and neighbors with the same regard, which is opposed to growth and welfare. But, none the less, these mentally warped humans are allowed City Council positions, and other like areas, where it just continues to
stifle human growth.
you are not very smart are you? Its called lawton ft. Sill. And that's because the entirety of Fort Sill is included in the population of the town. A lot of military live in town and shop in town they are our population Fort Sill is not a town of its own It's part of Lawton and all of it is included. Not to mention Comanche County Contains several other smaller towns surrounding lawton so I believe your numbers are very very off sir
fraden

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

[ Lawton is largely dependent on the army pop. there plenty of bums in dallas just sound like cry babies by the way Lawton is starting to progress with new builds dfw also has a lot of strip clubs
fraden

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2013

lot of you never was in the military but you always bitch to scared to fight and die

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 100 of108
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Walters Discussions

Search the Walters Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 2 hr Clyde 62,505
OK The "English is the Official Language of Oklaho... (Oct '10) 13 hr Dummkopf 11,267
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) 13 hr Marcus 2,369
taylor stein attorney (Jul '11) 20 hr imafungirl 20
Man shot dead outside Lawton bar Apr 21 fitness-guru 1
Chris Ybarra Apr 18 girlinthafalls 2
Teresa maray heddlesten (Aug '13) Apr 14 njw 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Walters Jobs

•••
•••
•••