Healthfirst - Summerville DO NOT GO THERE!

Posted in the Walterboro Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
greengirl

Florence, SC

#1 May 4, 2009
Do not go to Healthfirst clinic! I took my toddler there who ended up having a broken bone and they tried to treat it themselves. Luckily I followed up with my pediatrician, where I found out that Healthfirst was treating it incorrectly...now he may have permanent damage. Also, they would not release his records. After talking to several people there, they would only release his records for a charge of $15 and I would have to wait 7 - 10 days for them to be mailed. I wish I knew how awful this place was...hopefully people can learn from my mistake.
Bo Machado MD

Charleston, SC

#2 Jan 30, 2011
I wish I would have known this Mom was upset. We would have resolved her concerns had we only known. I would have seen to it for her.

We have a group of orthopedist who follow along with all of our ortho cases. I wish she could have met with them before writing this comment.

In His Grip,
Bo Machado MD
Medical Director
greengirl

Summerville, SC

#3 Jan 30, 2011
Even though this happened almost two years ago, I am STILL upset. The dr who treated my son was NOT an ortho and had I not followed up with our pediatrician and been referred to South Carolina Sports Medicine, he would have permanent damage in his foot. I talked to SEVERAL people within Healthfirst (including office managers)...at the Summerville and North Charleston locations who all knew I was very upset and did nothing to resolve my concerns. They were rude and uncaring. My 3 year old had to be put through another round of painful x-rays on his little broken foot because they refused to release his x-rays or records. Sorry, but I still stand my opinion that Healthfirst is a TERRIBLE clinic and I share my opinion frequently in hopes that no one will go through what I did.

Gmanhad

Summerville, SC

#6 Feb 11, 2011
I have been there on numerous occasions, and have found the staff to be nice and very friendly. I have a chronic case of gout, so I visit health first several times a year. I have always been thoroughly checked out, and even advised of websites that could help me improve my diet to help my gout. Maybe your experience was just a bad apple situation, and not indicative of the whole bunch.
College student

Columbia, SC

#7 Feb 21, 2011
I have been to this health first for years and have never encountered a problem with me nor my son. So many people go into Dr. offices wanting them to be mircle workers. You have to tell the people trying to treat you everything... they are not mind readers!!!!!!!!!!
greengirl

Summerville, SC

#8 Feb 22, 2011
I'm glad that the two of you have had a fine experience with Healthfirst. I posted on here because I DID NOT and wanted to prevent someone from having to go through (or put their child through) what I did.

I went in there with my 3 year old son who was not treated correctly, and ALMOST HAD TO HAVE SURGERY because they did not put his foot in a cast right away. I didn't know his foot was broken when I brought him in, or I would have gone to the ER. Once they found the break via x-ray, he should have been referred to a dr that knew what he/she was doing. Putting aside the fact that my little guy wasn't treated correctly, they wouldn't release his records or x-rays (maybe because they were trying to hide or cover up something?). My pediatrician even called them HERSELF, and they still refused to share my sons records, forcing him to go through another round of painful x-rays.

I was NOT expecting a miracle...just proper medical treatment.

To each is own...if you are happy with your care there, that is great. I was disgusted with the care that my child received and have the right to share my experience. If you went through what I did with my three year old, you would have wanted to voice your frustrations as well and hopefully keep someone else from going through the same thing.
A mommy from Summerville

Columbia, SC

#9 Jul 1, 2011
Thats too bad for the mommy and son. I have a 4 yr old son and a 6 yr girl. We have been going to Health First for several years. At first it was because our insurance but now we continue to return because of the convenience. We are usually in and out of there with out a lot of waiting but I feel it better than an emergency room; and faster than going to the base and waiting there. The staff knows the whole family and we have been seen for many things from a common cold, UTC, weight loss program;and many more..so many can't remember them all! They have always been nice and to others as I have watched them work.

I don't know the facts "green girl" from summerville regarding your son..how he was hurt etc. but the first thing that should have been thought of was a broken bone. Then a second opion after seen by a doctor. They call it "practicing" medicine for a reason. If in ANY doubt, ask someone else until YOU the mommy feels COMPLETELY satisfied! When is comes to my kids...I usully take them down to MUSC at the childrens hospital (I hate the drive and parking, but its worth it when it comes to my kids!!!) My son was throwing up very badly 2yrs ago, I went down to the childrens hospital. Another thing...they specialize in children! I did ask for an older experience doctor though instead of the young students. Listen to your instincts because NO OTHER person can do that for you! Your child/children don't know any better and are totally depending on you to listen to your instincs and judgment!
As for Health First...diffently would go back for minor illnesses...the biggies...emergency room...depending on the situation...MUSC Childrens hospital for my kids! You are probably a VERY good mommy; don't feel bad...keep up the good work and trust yourself!
Mom of 1

Baton Rouge, LA

#10 Sep 7, 2011
I use Healthfirst in Summerville and absoutely love it. The doctors are friendly and i never have to wait. I always just go right in. This is also a Christian provider, and they truly display christian character.
satified customer

Charleston, SC

#11 Oct 7, 2011
If it wasn't for Healthfirst my husband would not have got the imediate care and diagnosis that he needed when he was having a terrible bout with kidney stones(at the time didn't know what it was). The doctor that my husband saw at Healthfirst was great! and very compassionate. I've since been myself on various ocassions and I've taken my granddaughter there when she had URI symptoms. I've been satisfied every time. My daughter also goes to healthfirst when time is an issue and she too has been more than satisfied with the level of care, and the time that the provider spends making decisions. I would reccommend them to anyone.
Frank Wells

Charleston, SC

#12 Oct 7, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. We always appreciate knowing the experiences of our patients, good and bad. We just try to do more of the good and try to improve on, or eliminate, the bad. The worst complaints are ones we never get, because it's harder to fix what we don't know. We really spend a lot of time in training, and the feedback helps direct a significant part of that training time. My email is FWells@HF-RC.com for any needs.
Thanks again,
Frank
DENNIS Z

Lexington, SC

#13 Dec 20, 2011
BAD! BAD! BAD! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!
Went to get a simple tetnus shot! Called ahead and was told $24.00,GREAT! Went in, got the shot, when checking out, was told that it would be $90.00!!!
What? Did you see a DR? No I said, but a PA came in for -2 minutes, wrote me a prescription even though I told him I didn't need it!(they didn't have it anyway). ALL I WANTED WAS A SIMPLE TETNUS SHOT!!!
AVOID THIS PLACE! ALSO THEY DID NOT EVEN GIVE ME A RECEIPT, JUST A CREDIT CARD RECEIPT!
THE BBB & AMA WILL BE CONTACTED!
DENNIS Z

Lexington, SC

#14 Dec 23, 2011
After my bad visit, I was contacted my Mr. Frank Wells about my visit. I guess I over reacted. Mr. Wells said it was a mistake at the desk. He promptly issued a partial refund for the Office Visit charge and only charged me for the Tetnus shot! WOW, THIS IS WHAT I CALL GREAT SERVICE!
At this point, I highly recommend them. Honesty and true customer service have returned.
rerah

United States

#15 Feb 21, 2012
Ive been going to health first for years, ive always found my experiences to be wonderful. Im not a huge fan of a few of the drs at the north charleston clinic however summerville has always been great to all of us.
Frank Wells

Charleston, SC

#16 Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for your kind words about our clinic. I would love to know more about your comment "not a huge fan of a few of the drs at the north charleston clinic however summerville has always been great to all of us." Please feel free to contact me at FWells@HF-RC.com. We love the feedback as it helps us get better. Thanks again.
BACK TO WORK

Goose Creek, SC

#17 May 7, 2012
Thank you Dr. George Clark you are awesome!
Bob

United States

#18 May 20, 2012
I didny know x-rays were painful.
Mom of 2

North Charleston, SC

#19 May 29, 2012
My family has used the Summerville branch only and we LOVE IT THERE!!! Never have we had to wait long and customer service is ALWAYS GREAT!!!! I have seen some kids in there act like they own the place - trashing it - and the staff will be ever so patient and polite with the children and parents - so I can only say from what I have seen that this is a FANTASTIC office for treatment. HOWEVER.....if your kid has possible broken bones, go to the ER - not the doctor's office :) just my oppinion!
Darren Gilbert

Madison, AL

#20 Jun 11, 2012
All of the negative reviews on here seem to be related to the person not getting their way. If you can handle it yourself then why are you going to a Dr.? Your way doesn't work so perhaps you should take the Dr.'s advice. Just because the Dr. doesn't give you WHAT YOU WANT doesnt mean you arent getting WHAT YOU NEED. I have been to the Summerville clinic several times and find the entire staff to be friendly, prompt, courteous, professional, thorough and they give me what I need based on the facts I give them. Dr.'s are not miracle workers and can only go on what you tell them and what they find. They cannot read your mind and scan your body like Superman and a super computer to provide a 100% accurate diagnosis every single time. The body is very complicated and many times symptoms could be from several different things. If you have a bump, they are not going to rush you into chemo, it takes time, tests and process of elimination to determine what is wrong. If you walk in the door expecting to be totally cured when you walk out, you have false expectations. Dr.'s and nurses are human yet some people EXPECT them to perform Jesus like miracles with the touch of their hand. It does not work this way and if you think it does, go spend 10+ years in college and see if you can do it! It is people with absurd unrealistic expectations that sue for a paper cut getting infected that makes everyone's costs so high. The world is full of King and Queen Babies that want to destroy everyone around them when they do not get their own way. GROW UP!!! And if you do not like my post then it is simply because you don't like to hear the truth because it does not correlate to you getting your way!!! Think, Think, Think!!!! Have a blessed day as I know I will. I do feel bad for the children of the parents who insist on forcing their will on everyone. I have two kids myself. Teaching them that Dr's are bad by freaking out like this will prevent them from going to the Dr. later in life when perhaps they really need it.
cristina

Summerville, SC

#21 Jun 11, 2012
my daughter and I frequent both summerville and the rivers location. we are very pleased, my daughter especially looks forward to seeing dr.Henry. after looking at an xray she told him she had a donut... she and dr. Henry tried to find it,lol. experiences like this make healthfirst our first choice for medical care. ty.
Cathy - Moncks Corner SC

North Charleston, SC

#22 Aug 15, 2012
I ONLY go to Health First in Summerville and recommend it to everyone!! Dr. Clark and Dr. Yoo are awesome! More caring than the Primary Dr. I use to go too. It's fast, easy and I love the Praise music playing to soothe you while you wait.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walterboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
R.G. Stair Rebuke Page (Nov '13) 15 hr Uncle Bernie 821
Psn Dec 14 Psn free 1
Mystery FM Radio 87.7 Dec 8 James in Flowertown 6
Investigation continues into Myrtle Beach Memor... (May '14) Nov '14 CANT OPEN A CLOS... 14
Rosalina Tent Sale (Apr '08) Nov '14 teacherchick 9
Body of 3-year-old girl to return home (Nov '09) Nov '14 yourcrazy 31
Debate: Gay Marriage - Summerville, SC (Jul '10) Nov '14 Brian_G 54
Walterboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Walterboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Walterboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Walterboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]