Suspect in rape introduced himself to...

Suspect in rape introduced himself to victim, then forced her into woods

There are 27 comments on the The Post and Courier story from Aug 30, 2010, titled Suspect in rape introduced himself to victim, then forced her into woods. In it, The Post and Courier reports that:

Franklin Smalls was picking up his newspaper from his front yard Sunday morning when he heard someone crying.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Post and Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
longgone

Memphis, TN

#1 Sep 5, 2010
Does anyone remember Elaine Fogel? When I was just a kid she was brutally raped and murdered. I never forgot it or the fact that they never found the guy who did it. Remember Sheila Dodd and her precious child? Terrible things happen everyday somewhere in the world and they have very little to do with race. WHY IS IT ALWAYS ABOUT RACE? There are good and bad in people of every race and I'm very saddened that people use this woman's pain as a launching pad for another chance to spout racial crap. It's 2010, time to grow up and move forward.The simple truth of the matter is Walterboro is a small, good ole boy town. They lack in education and resources to have competent law enforcement. And the ones that are there? Well people you put them there. So either use your vocals to help change it, shut up or do like I did and get the hell out of there. But be prepared, there's crime everywhere.
downsouth2

Walterboro, SC

#2 Sep 7, 2010
longgone wrote:
Does anyone remember Elaine Fogel? When I was just a kid she was brutally raped and murdered. I never forgot it or the fact that they never found the guy who did it. Remember Sheila Dodd and her precious child? Terrible things happen everyday somewhere in the world and they have very little to do with race. WHY IS IT ALWAYS ABOUT RACE? There are good and bad in people of every race and I'm very saddened that people use this woman's pain as a launching pad for another chance to spout racial crap. It's 2010, time to grow up and move forward.The simple truth of the matter is Walterboro is a small, good ole boy town. They lack in education and resources to have competent law enforcement. And the ones that are there? Well people you put them there. So either use your vocals to help change it, shut up or do like I did and get the hell out of there. But be prepared, there's crime everywhere.
The more blacks , the more crime
downsouth2

Walterboro, SC

#3 Sep 7, 2010
Proven Fact,, The more iggers ,the more crime..lol notice' I didnt use the N word.
olskool

Cottageville, SC

#4 Mar 26, 2012
i remember it all like yesterday. in 1978 i lived next door to one of the suspects and a mile away from the other. i was 21 and lived at home, my dad was best friends with one of the sled agents on the case so i got inside info.
james

United States

#5 Nov 18, 2013
Elaine was my cousin she was a kind and good person and a trusting person,the girl her room married the boy who killed her so she would not be able to convict him on the stand, and then one of the guys was send away for along time, I think he hs dead now, everyone knows who did so why id money,power, stop this. sled has good dna, don't know why they can't match it to them. maybe the adam walsh foundation needs to go to Waterboro and shake up some people,i understand their was a lot of dirty things going on back then with the law, she needs justice for her and her sister,she stills wonders why:::
stop the race stuff

Torrance, CA

#6 Nov 18, 2013
I think some people just don't know how the usa became the usa it was built off murder rape and forced labor just for starters. Any country who has a foundation like that is built on the dark-side of the universe. oh yes i know most will say well it wasn't me and i will say to them I BET EVERY DAY YOU BENEFIT FROM WHAT TOOK PLACE NOT SO LONG AGO...

Stop with the black white brown stuff when you look in the mirror your looking at the whole HUMAN RACE and hate only feeds more hate and one day that hate will knock on your door.....don't feed the beast...
donald berry

Williston, SC

#7 Mar 7, 2014
elaine fogle was my 1st cousin and i remember this vividly. her death killed her father. some of our family have gone to walterboro to try and stir up some interest in the case, but to no avail.
with all the new technology available, it does appear that some type of lead could be generated.
REST IN PEACE , ELAINE....WE HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOU.
Penny Parker

West Columbia, SC

#8 Apr 7, 2014
downsouth2 wrote:
<quoted text> The more blacks , the more crime
. You sir need help! Open your eyes crime and hate have no color!! You wouldn't like it if someone said the more white racists stupid red necks the more crime....... And I am WHITE!!!
james fogle

United States

#9 Apr 21, 2014
I wrote sled a letter back last year to mark keel in Elaine fogles cold case but as normal no reply to this day, no one will talk about this and still the police chief will not talk to any one in the family, says its a ongoing deal and they don't want to spook the suspects,, get real they know who this is,and why the couplegot married these people an their familys has connections and money, the good old boy system, my uncle and aunt has died without piece in this matter, she has one sister living and our famiy would love this to be at a end with justice, ut guess the money still talks, if I knew it would help I would throw some dollars out their to see who bites my self,
brother stair

Elkins, WV

#11 May 3, 2014
I did not introduce myself to the victim.
james fogle

United States

#13 May 28, 2014
36 years today our cousin murder in Walterboro a wonderful little town of good old boy school, not a day goes by I don't think of her and how someone could this and live with theirself afterwards, hell has a place waiting for them,one is dead, one has disappeared, or that's what it looks like, they have divorced, he is still around, but their was a fourth that hung with them, he is still afraid to tell. one is in the nations, hiding, I waiting"""
lisa

Charlotte, NC

#16 Jul 15, 2014
longgone wrote:
Doe yess anyone remember Elaine Fogel? When I was just a kid she was brutally raped and murdered. I never forgot it or the fact that they never found the guy who did it. Remember Sheila Dodd and her precious child? Terrible things happen everyday somewhere in the world and they have very little to do with race. WHY IS IT ALWAYS ABOUT RACE? There are good and bad in people of every race and I'm very saddened that people use this woman's pain as a launching pad for another chance to spout racial crap. It's 2010, time to grow up and move forward.The simple truth of the matter is Walterboro is a small, good ole boy town. They lack in education and resources to have competent law enforcement. And the ones that are there? Well people you put them there. So either use your vocals to help change it, shut up or do like I did and get the hell out of there. But be prepared, there's crime everywhere.
I believe that walterboro has lack of any kind of police support or not enough money for education I believe. I am sure of they r trying to take over. Not a great place to live of your white .justy opinion to many gangs .Do Something about it .not enough man power. I say bring them in from another state or better yet FBI
james

United States

#17 Jul 30, 2014
olskool wrote:
i remember it all like yesterday. in 1978 i lived next door to one of the suspects and a mile away from the other. i was 21 and lived at home, my dad was best friends with one of the sled agents on the case so i got inside info.

you got any names for me.. need them.?????
james

United States

#18 Jul 30, 2014
spoke to the governors office today on Elaine Fogles case, our family hasn't forgotton you, its been years,, my pastor told me couldn't pray for people to go to hell concerning this matter, but I told him I wanted to share some time with them before they do go to hell. murder and rape, takes a real big person to do this to your room mate, cause your jealous..
Sandra

Columbia, SC

#20 May 7, 2015
donald berry wrote:
elaine fogle was my 1st cousin and i remember this vividly. her death killed her father. some of our family have gone to walterboro to try and stir up some interest in the case, but to no avail.
with all the new technology available, it does appear that some type of lead could be generated.
REST IN PEACE , ELAINE....WE HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOU.
Donald, I'm very sorry about your cousin. Walterboro was my home for most of my life, and I'd met Elaine a few times at the doctor's office where she worked. She was very sweet, I still remember her, was horrified that this happened to her, and wanted so much for her killer/killers to be found. I don't know very much at all about Facebook, but I've wondered for a long time about this. A lot of cases anymore seem to gain a renewed interest, and sometimes cases are actually solved, when there's a specific place, like Facebook, that people can go to and share memories or possible clues that they have. Elaine deserves justice, whether her killer/killers are still alive or not. They need to be exposed for who he is/they are and what kind of monsters he is/they are. And I hope one or both are still alive, because he deserves/they deserve to be punished on Earth before he/they have to finally answer to God. I was trying to remember the lady's name from SC who worked at one time for SLED and who wrote a book that included Elaine's story in it. I was going to ask her about starting a Facebook page, but then I found you on this Web site. I still will try to find her, but I hope you will see my posting here and will do this, as I think there might be somebody who would be willing to come forward if they saw a Facebook page dedicated to her.
Sandra

Columbia, SC

#21 May 7, 2015
james fogle wrote:
I wrote sled a letter back last year to mark keel in Elaine fogles cold case but as normal no reply to this day, no one will talk about this and still the police chief will not talk to any one in the family, says its a ongoing deal and they don't want to spook the suspects,, get real they know who this is,and why the couplegot married these people an their familys has connections and money, the good old boy system, my uncle and aunt has died without piece in this matter, she has one sister living and our famiy would love this to be at a end with justice, ut guess the money still talks, if I knew it would help I would throw some dollars out their to see who bites my self,
James, please see my reply to Donald. I hope you, he, other members of your family, or the lady who used to work at SLED as a photographer and who included Elaine's tragic death in it will start a Facebook page for Elaine and possibly gain some attention for in order to solve this. Also, there's a
TV show on now, called "Cold Justice" that I think you might could contact, if you can even get the Walterboro authorities on board with it, to see what they can find out. I doubt they will, since they've been resistant so far, but a new detective with an open mind in Walterboro might be okay with it -- although they should embrace any help they could get to bring Elaine's killer/s to justice.
james

United States

#24 May 27, 2015
Sandra wrote:
<quoted text>
Donald, I'm very sorry about your cousin. Walterboro was my home for most of my life, and I'd met Elaine a few times at the doctor's office where she worked. She was very sweet, I still remember her, was horrified that this happened to her, and wanted so much for her killer/killers to be found. I don't know very much at all about Facebook, but I've wondered for a long time about this. A lot of cases anymore seem to gain a renewed interest, and sometimes cases are actually solved, when there's a specific place, like Facebook, that people can go to and share memories or possible clues that they have. Elaine deserves justice, whether her killer/killers are still alive or not. They need to be exposed for who he is/they are and what kind of monsters he is/they are. And I hope one or both are still alive, because he deserves/they deserve to be punished on Earth before he/they have to finally answer to God. I was trying to remember the lady's name from SC who worked at one time for SLED and who wrote a book that included Elaine's story in it. I was going to ask her about starting a Facebook page, but then I found you on this Web site. I still will try to find her, but I hope you will see my posting here and will do this, as I think there might be somebody who would be willing to come forward if they saw a Facebook page dedicated to her.
her name is Rita Shuler she is retired now but still is in contact with the police dept, but they do not help her with the case, they have a room full of evidence on her with lots of dna, and nothing has been done, Eloan and her daughter and me James Fogle are to meet with the office assigned to this case this Tuesday coming, don't know what time this will happen, he teels us not to put flyers out on this,, I wonder why, we have heard this for 37 years,,, hope we will have some answers maybe, they areonly going to tell of what we want to hear:::
james

United States

#25 Jun 4, 2015
REMEMBER ME: 37 years ago, folks in Walterboro that know something about this should be ashame of yourselfs, not telling who did this, man these people must be got mob ties or something, that murder ELAINE, and raped her, and watch her die::
olskool

Ridgeville, SC

#30 Sep 16, 2015
james wrote:
REMEMBER ME: 37 years ago, folks in Walterboro that know something about this should be ashame of yourselfs, not telling who did this, man these people must be got mob ties or something, that murder ELAINE, and raped her, and watch her die::

like i said 3 years ago, my dad was best friends with one of the SLED men on the case. he told my dad at the time they new who killed her but nothing they could proven. the suspect was from Tennessee living in walterboro and lived next door to us! his wife was a nurse at the hospital. he was a very large and strange man. he moved back to Tennessee after the murder. the agent told my dad they contacted the sheriff in tenn. where he was from and he said he knew that family and they were all crazy. i remember his name but i will not give it on a public forum.
Sandra Little

Lyman, SC

#31 Sep 19, 2015
Sandra wrote:
<quoted text>
The name of the former Sled Lady who included this story into one of her books is Rita Shuler. I am a friend of Rita's, but had never heard of this case until recently and thought I would google it for more information. It's a pity that the case turned cold and now 37 years have gone by. For the sake of this victim's Family, I hope they receive justice someday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walterboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Berkeley Co. deputies release dash cam video in... Apr 22 Lady Rivera 2
News After three days the South Carolina Senate leav... Apr 22 Lady Rivera 1
News Constitutional carry bills have South Carolina ... Apr 19 Leslie Fish 3
News Deputies Suspect Foul Play With Missing Mom, Son (May '07) Apr 9 Lifer 22
Wannabe Gangster Disciples in Summerville/Knigh... Mar 30 ImWatchingYouHell... 1
Clay Legette Mar '17 Medina Carlson 1
Showa Denko employees? Mar '17 CuriousCat 1

Walterboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Walterboro Mortgages