Ken Burns and his liberal causes

Ken Burns and his liberal causes

Posted in the Walpole Forum

Tom

New Milford, CT

#1 Oct 4, 2011
I was watching Ken Burns this morning on CSPAN promoting his feature on prohibition on PBS. Everyone calling in was praising Mr. Burns for his successful programs. Who is presenting the other side of this? The fact is, Mr. Burns' series on prohibition may be entertaining, but is not especially intellectually rigorous. If he were to do a really honest and balanced series on prohibition, The Civil War, or any other history subject, he would have to present a lot of very painful matter that viewers do not want to see. How devastating has alcoholism and drug abuse been through human history? Phenomenally destructive. The same could be said of modern new addictions to media and new communication devices. People who used to be outside or getting together socializing in productive ways now prefer to tune out.

Particularly a matter of concern is Mr. Burns and the elitist East and West coast's politically version of history that glosses over intense suffering of so many as a result of manipulative agendas of political groups who want to force things down people's throats, without patiently explaining all the aspects of issues that may affect them. This has been true of virtually every generation and president. Mr. Burns remains part of the entertainment media, not a serious historian.
CarlGurt

Biddeford, ME

#2 Feb 12, 2012
Seems like Prohibition is what's forced down people's throats by elites who know better than you do about how to run your own life.

Without Prohibition you can choose whether to drink or not. You, yourself, not some elite who is sure they know better than you how to live.
Michael

Goose Creek, SC

#3 Jun 28, 2014
Well said. I sensed a bit of hostility at the end, but understood. Due to the accusations that Mr. Burns made in 2012 about the Tea Party, I am convinced that he is yet another liberal, who easily got in bed with PBS under the guise of extraordinary historian. As far as Ken Burns: Civil War, I watched the entire thing; but all you really needed to watch was the first episode to determine the liberal bias within. According to "historian" Ken Burns, the American Civil War was started because of one social issue, slavery. I have a hard time agreeing with this based on independent, unbiased research that I have done. The first thing that comes to mind is the Morrill Tariff, which is not mentioned once in the entire documentary. This Tariff is an intriguing interlude to the events leading up to the Civil War because it actually provides cause for 99% of the Southern population to fight against the North(Federal Govt), rather than the popular theory of Slavery; which involves only 5% of the population truly fighting for their income. Not a mention about, leading to, or causing the Civil War... The same Tariff that nearly caused SC to reluctantly secede from the union decades before. It is amazing how easily history can be forgotten in the shadow of confident bias opinion. Such a gross tax on the American citizens, as the Morrill Tariff was, should be covered up without a trace behind the moral shortcomings of the entire world(not just Americans). Something that can be relevant in today's society should be witewashed by distortions of the facts and hyperbole of our past imperfections.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walpole Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News N.H. roofing firm charged with fraud (Nov '09) Jul '17 Northerncomplaint 7
News Cheshire County jail inmate found dead in his bed (Jun '09) Aug '15 Mister Ed 15
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New Hampsh... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Grunt56 31
weres danny shy (Apr '14) Apr '14 old friend 1
News Amherst, N.H., chief to lead Townsend department (Apr '14) Apr '14 Patricia Beam 1
News Fire Chief field narrowed to three finalists (Mar '14) Mar '14 Patricia Beam 1
News North Walpole teen indicted, accused of driving... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Baby Jesus 1

Walpole Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Walpole Mortgages