Trick-Or-Treat Nights in the Lehigh V...

Trick-Or-Treat Nights in the Lehigh Valley -- themorningcall.com

There are 257 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 4, 2007, titled Trick-Or-Treat Nights in the Lehigh Valley -- themorningcall.com. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Alburtis: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 31 Allentown: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26 Allen Township: 6-8 p.m. Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

“Life is Good”

Since: Mar 07

North Whitehall

#45 Oct 19, 2007
MonkeyMomma wrote:
<quoted text>
You can do whatever you want!:) But I agree w/ Eeyore - I wouldn't flat out refuse candy to anybody. I just give 'em a teeny amount of really gross stuff (think candy corn) that they don't want to discourage a repeat visit next year. Definitely check w/ your neighbors to see how much candy you'll need on hand if you want to participate. Also, there's always the option of NOT participating - keep your lights out and don't answer the door.
Hey, I love candy corn! LOL I have a bag sitting on the counter. ;-)

I used to live in a town house development I would buy those cheapy dum dum lolly pops to help stretch the candy out.
SheSwallowedtheE vidence

Allentown, PA

#46 Oct 19, 2007
I love it that my municipality will have it on a Friday Night from 4-6. I get home at 5:30 so I probably will hit happy hour and not hand out any candy this year... Used to alsways be on a Sunday and I liked that but it made it a pain in the backside if you are watching a good game...
abby

Allentown, PA

#47 Oct 19, 2007
heinrich wrote:
<quoted text>
Then where will all the ghetto kids get their candy ?
Who said my kids were ghetto???
Gimmie Candy

Hellertown, PA

#49 Oct 19, 2007
Thanks to Eyore & Monkey Mama for the advice,you're right about the tricks if I don't give treats,I'll go get alittle more candy just in case.As far as asking my neighbors I don't think they give I don't see much activity but they are alive.
Happy Mama

Bethlehem, PA

#50 Oct 19, 2007
okay wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said!! I fully agree with you.
This is what’s wrong with society now in days some people think they are better than others and treat others differently. Americanism is about working and sharing together as equals. As the pilgrims and Indians did. This is why America is so messed up today we've lost that quality!!!!
I live in Whitehall and since I live in an apartment I go to my mom's house which is also in Whitehall to trick or treat and hand out candy with my daughter and siblings. It's a very nice neighborhood but as I agree with others there's no problem with going to other towns because half the people in this area don't even turn their lights on and by the time you walk so far from house to house there's barely any candy in the children's bag. I think last year we gave candy out to like 8-10 children and 3 or 4 were neighbor children we knew very well. Also the trick or trea time is at night and I don't really feel comfortable with having young kids running the streets at night...most kids are with their parents but there's always that greater chance of an accident happening since people don't use extra caution during this time of year. I personally will be taking my daughter to one of the towns who have their trick or treat time during the day as well as to Whitehalls. When I was a kid we mapped out where we could go to get the most trick or treating in and it's not like we made a out with so much candy...it's was just fun. Give out what you have and then turn the lights off when you are out. It comes once a year...stop being selfish and let the kids have some fun. Happy Halloween to kids in all towns!

“Howdy, Ya'll!”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#51 Oct 20, 2007
Happy Mama wrote:
<quoted text> I live in Whitehall and since I live in an apartment I go to my mom's house which is also in Whitehall to trick or treat and hand out candy with my daughter and siblings. It's a very nice neighborhood but as I agree with others there's no problem with going to other towns because half the people in this area don't even turn their lights on and by the time you walk so far from house to house there's barely any candy in the children's bag. I think last year we gave candy out to like 8-10 children and 3 or 4 were neighbor children we knew very well. Also the trick or trea time is at night and I don't really feel comfortable with having young kids running the streets at night...most kids are with their parents but there's always that greater chance of an accident happening since people don't use extra caution during this time of year. I personally will be taking my daughter to one of the towns who have their trick or treat time during the day as well as to Whitehalls. When I was a kid we mapped out where we could go to get the most trick or treating in and it's not like we made a out with so much candy...it's was just fun. Give out what you have and then turn the lights off when you are out. It comes once a year...stop being selfish and let the kids have some fun. Happy Halloween to kids in all towns!
Visitors like you are fine and welcome, at least according to me and my neighbors. Since you have a family member (or a friend, or some other connection) living in the development you're visiting, I would just assume that you are also contributing to the evening by giving your mom extra candy to hand out to the trick or treaters who visit her house.

When I bash on visitors to my neighborhood on trick or treat night, I'm talking about the low-life loser scumbuckets who drop off their tweenie/teenage hoodlems and let them run loose in my neighborhood. THis results in many problems, including vandalism, some petty thefts, gross language being shouted up and down the streets in front of tiny children, etc. Those kind of visitors don't have any friends in my neighborhood - they're just freeloaders.

It's a big difference.
getalife

Macungie, PA

#52 Oct 20, 2007
MonkeyMomma wrote:
<quoted text>
Visitors like you are fine and welcome, at least according to me and my neighbors. Since you have a family member (or a friend, or some other connection) living in the development you're visiting, I would just assume that you are also contributing to the evening by giving your mom extra candy to hand out to the trick or treaters who visit her house.
When I bash on visitors to my neighborhood on trick or treat night, I'm talking about the low-life loser scumbuckets who drop off their tweenie/teenage hoodlems and let them run loose in my neighborhood. THis results in many problems, including vandalism, some petty thefts, gross language being shouted up and down the streets in front of tiny children, etc. Those kind of visitors don't have any friends in my neighborhood - they're just freeloaders.
It's a big difference.
You are a hateful and cruel human being. I work in an inner-city school with these children you are referring to...it saddens me to see such a disconnect from people like you to these young people that endure the hardships and bigotry of ignorrant sub-humans such as yourself. All your wealth could easily be gone tomorrow, then what redeemable qualities would you have left? My goodness, you would be one of those "scumbuckets" you were referring to.
hollow ween

Morrisville, PA

#53 Oct 20, 2007
getalife wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a hateful and cruel human being. I work in an inner-city school with these children you are referring to...it saddens me to see such a disconnect from people like you to these young people that endure the hardships and bigotry of ignorrant sub-humans such as yourself. All your wealth could easily be gone tomorrow, then what redeemable qualities would you have left? My goodness, you would be one of those "scumbuckets" you were referring to.
Then you give them candy , I don't want the low lifes here either.
Carol Schneider

Bethlehem, PA

#54 Oct 22, 2007
Your information for Trick or treat for Lower Saucon Township is listed as Friday, Oct. 26th 4-6 pm - THIS IS INCORRECT.

Trick or treat for Lower Saucon Township is Sunday, Oct. 28th from 4-6pm.

Carol Schneider
Lower Saucon Township
Jenn

Chicago, IL

#55 Oct 22, 2007
Big E wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I am from the area ..these hoodlums you speak of..foul mouthed, private property tresspassing, vandalizing, low life just let out of the zoo kids..how old are they? the kids I see trick or treating are around 5-10 yrs old? these "hoodlums" you speak of are they that old? It sounds like you are blowing this a bit out of proportion? maybe?
Goodness...you are lucky.

The *neighborhood* kids that show up at my door are of reasonable ages.

But sheesh...when two teenage girls show up at my door with a baby dressed in a costume with a bag in the baby's hand, I know the candy is not for the baby, KWIM?

I see too much of that. I like the idea of keeping a bowl of cheap candy available...maybe I'll give out apples to them...or perhaps a banana? That can be easily mashed to give to the baby.
Jenn

Chicago, IL

#56 Oct 22, 2007
getalife wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a hateful and cruel human being. I work in an inner-city school with these children you are referring to...it saddens me to see such a disconnect from people like you to these young people that endure the hardships and bigotry of ignorrant sub-humans such as yourself.
Good grief...what is so wrong about being opposed to "vandalism, some petty thefts, gross language being shouted up and down the streets in front of tiny children." I didn't see any hatefulness or bigotry in those remarks. If this behavior truly is happening in the poster's neighborhood, there is good cause to be upset.

I haven't seen vandelism or petty thefts in my neighborhood yet. And I don't begrudge some candy to young kids. But as I said in a previous post, I do think it is ridiculous for teens who already have a baby (and likely were old enough to have driven themselves to my neighborhood) to be out trick-o-treating. At some point they need to grow up.

“Tired of your shyt!”

Since: Jul 07

Elkridge, MD

#57 Oct 22, 2007
JGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
No no no, I didn't think you were insulting me by the AC Moore comment, I said that to mean that you wouldn't be seeing me there since I don't shop there. My husband however does & I've even heard they have some craft stuff but I mainly don't shop there because as far as I know they don't have on near us, or else I probably would stop by one. Geez, nothing I stated was in any intent of a response to thinking your comment was under any malicious intent. When someone type that they don't shop somewhere it doesn't mean they are too upity for the place, it simpliy sometimes can mean just that, that they don't shop there. You're reading into things.
If that is the case, then I apologize. I took in to account that you were bickering with others and thought you were getting ready to rain down on me as well. I put up my dukes too soon. Again, the only reason I asked was because of the license plate, I thought it was you.

Have a nice day.
-Bori
SheSwallowedtheE vidence

Allentown, PA

#58 Oct 22, 2007
Carol Schneider wrote:
Your information for Trick or treat for Lower Saucon Township is listed as Friday, Oct. 26th 4-6 pm - THIS IS INCORRECT.
Trick or treat for Lower Saucon Township is Sunday, Oct. 28th from 4-6pm.
Carol Schneider
Lower Saucon Township
Thanks now I will have to handout candy during football.. I was happier with it being on Friday and not being home from work yet...
fats

Bally, PA

#59 Oct 22, 2007
Kids are too fat anyway , give them a bottle of water and send them on their way. Bunch of fatso's.
Too bad

Florham Park, NJ

#60 Oct 22, 2007
coin this saddened wrote:
but for their children's safety.
I would argue that this endangers kids. We allll know to drive safely and with extra attention on Halloween. With this schedule, how do you expect drivers to know what towns have trick-or-treating when?

“Howdy, Ya'll!”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#62 Oct 22, 2007
getalife wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my. I think you're reading waaaay past my words and assuming the very worst about me. Hmmm...what does that say about YOU? Methinks the pot is calling the kettle black. I think it's rather funny that you're presenting yourself as an inner-city savior while telling ME that I'm a hateful and cruel subhuman. Do you rush to such conclusions with your own school's children?

Whatever. Don't worry about me on Halloween. You're welcome to stop by and get some candy corn if you crash my neighborhood with your inner-city visitors.
Kate

Bethlehem, PA

#63 Oct 22, 2007
heinrich wrote:
<quoted text>
Then where will all the ghetto kids get their candy ?
In the ghetto! Stay out of my Lower Mac neighborhood. When I was little, I was only allowed to go where I could walk with my friends. My mom never drove us around. Kids don't need all that candy. We have enough overweight inactive kids. My son does our street and the one over. That's it. He actually likes to give out the candy over going out! And as far as the "too old" kids...grow up. If you come to my home with a pillow case and some stupid sheet over your head you won't get squat.
Happy Mama

Reading, PA

#64 Oct 22, 2007
MonkeyMomma wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a big difference.
I do contribute to what is being given out...we give out double(the portion my mom normally gives and my portion in addition) to the few children we do see but we don't give out candy. We give out things that don't cause sugar rushes...usually glow sticks, tooth brushes, mini loofahs, bubbles, mirrors, calculators, some other things too for little kids and babies too...we feel that kids get too much of the same stuff and this is a little different and maybe will last longer than candy. Hopefully this year we will get more than just 8-10 trick-or-treaters...I love seeing the costumes that some kids come up with. As far as older children trick or treating I do get a little hesitant but would never turn anyone away. I know I went out when I was a little old for it but I put a lot of effort into my costume and usually took my younger siblings and didn't carry a bag for candy or anything because I didn't ask for any hand outs...sometimes people would offer it and sometimes I would accept it but I usually gave it to those I was helping that night.
Bas

Allentown, PA

#65 Oct 23, 2007
It's nice you all have opinions, if you are so unhappy with the local Halloween practices, why don't you do something about it?
anonymous

AOL

#66 Oct 23, 2007
Happy Mama wrote:
<quoted text> I do contribute to what is being given out...we give out double(the portion my mom normally gives and my portion in addition) to the few children we do see but we don't give out candy. We give out things that don't cause sugar rushes...usually glow sticks, tooth brushes, mini loofahs, bubbles, mirrors, calculators, some other things too for little kids and babies too...we feel that kids get too much of the same stuff and this is a little different and maybe will last longer than candy. Hopefully this year we will get more than just 8-10 trick-or-treaters...I love seeing the costumes that some kids come up with. As far as older children trick or treating I do get a little hesitant but would never turn anyone away. I know I went out when I was a little old for it but I put a lot of effort into my costume and usually took my younger siblings and didn't carry a bag for candy or anything because I didn't ask for any hand outs...sometimes people would offer it and sometimes I would accept it but I usually gave it to those I was helping that night.
When our son was 12, he and his friends went out on Halloween. Not for candy, though; they patrolled the neighborhood, keeping an eye on the little kids and protecting them from 'bag-grabbers.' They got lots of thanks from neighborhood parents!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walnutport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Allentown Fair Queen to be crowned Sunday Aug 23 silly rabbit 1
Pathmark Walnutport SOLD to Coligas SHOPRITE (Jul '12) Aug '15 Trspap 7
strong arm robbery in slatington behind turkey ... Aug '15 concerned citizen 1
News Baseball bat beating appeal denied Jun '15 farts forever 1
News Residents see influx of gypsy moths May '15 pesticides rule 1
News Slatington woman injured in Nesquehoning rollover Apr '15 CommSense 2
SCHLIECHER finances Challenge Petitions of othe... Apr '15 farmer john 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Walnutport Mortgages