Walnutport Stabbing: Man 'critical' after being stabbed in the ...

There are 20 comments on the Jun 10, 2009, The Morning Call story titled Walnutport Stabbing: Man 'critical' after being stabbed in the .... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

A 40-year-old Walnutport man is in critical condition with a stab wound to the head, and a 28-year-old woman who lived with him has been charged with the assault, according to Walnutport Borough Police Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

New York, NY

#1 Jun 10, 2009
WTF!!!$10K bail?!?
He's in critical condition because she stabbed him in the head! What was this judge thinking?

Since: Apr 09

Easton, PA

#3 Jun 10, 2009
Kelly7 wrote:
WTF!!!$10K bail?!?
He's in critical condition because she stabbed him in the head! What was this judge thinking?
As usual, I don't think the judge was...
Observer14

Line Lexington, PA

#5 Jun 10, 2009
Bail was also 15K and 10K for retail theft !!!

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/police/all-4g...

"In separate incidents, Giant food stores in Bethlehem and Lower Saucon Township have been hit by retail thefts of around $400 each within the last four days."
Mark

San Marcos, CA

#6 Jun 10, 2009
Bail is NOT there to punish an individual. It exists SOLELY to guarantee appearance at trial.

Is there a probability that the suspect may flee? Does he (she) have ties to the community? Are they employed?

Those are some of the questions a District Judge uses to determine bail.

Since: Feb 07

New York, NY

#10 Jun 10, 2009
Mark wrote:
Bail is NOT there to punish an individual. It exists SOLELY to guarantee appearance at trial.
Is there a probability that the suspect may flee? Does he (she) have ties to the community? Are they employed?
Those are some of the questions a District Judge uses to determine bail.
I still believe the bail amount is too low. How much research to the above questions is done when they set bail? Probably not a whole lot...
snowman allentown PA

Easton, PA

#11 Jun 10, 2009
Kelly7 wrote:
<quoted text>
I still believe the bail amount is too low. How much research to the above questions is done when they set bail? Probably not a whole lot...
And if the peolpe fail to show up, how much is ever collected?
Crystal_Method_M an

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jun 10, 2009
One stab to the head and everyone gets all worked up. She's the girlfriend, tell me your girl never stabbed you on the head...

“Here's looking at ya!”

Since: Jul 07

Spring City, PA

#14 Jun 10, 2009
That's one h e l l of a headach!

Since: Feb 07

New York, NY

#15 Jun 10, 2009
snowman allentown PA wrote:
<quoted text>And if the peolpe fail to show up, how much is ever collected?
It's hard to say. They could always send out "Dogg - The Bounty Hunter"!
Common Sense

Fairport, NY

#16 Jun 10, 2009
Mark wrote:
Bail is NOT there to punish an individual. It exists SOLELY to guarantee appearance at trial.
Is there a probability that the suspect may flee? Does he (she) have ties to the community? Are they employed?
Those are some of the questions a District Judge uses to determine bail.
Mark, while your point is accurate that bail is not punishment for a crime, you totally left out one important factor used in determining bail - the severity of the crime.

Bail is set often low for minor crimes, since there is no major threat to society if a person flees or commits another crime. Serious offenses, such as attempted murder, often have higher bail amounts to reflect the fact that a fleeing murderer is a much greater threat to society than a fleeing shoplifter.

The reaction of those reading this article is perfectly justified, because apparently the judge in this case did not feel that a major crime had been committed.
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jun 10, 2009
"...In court records, Jaegel told police she and Symer were fighting and threw items at each other....."

Sounds like he got what he deserved....

“Dirk Duncum”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#18 Jun 10, 2009
hey wrote:
THEY, are minorities right?
I really do not think so. IF they were, this thread would be full of racist comments. As always the honkies get a free pass.
Puff Dragon

Warminster, PA

#20 Jun 10, 2009
Thank god it wasn't his little head
RtrvrMom

Malvern, PA

#21 Jun 10, 2009
Should not the type of crime and therefore the amount and type of jailtime that the person would be looking at reflect int the bail?
Someone might not run from 10 months in county versus 10 years in state or federal.
And is the person a general threat? Heck, if she would stab a friend in the head......
Craveman

Glen Mills, PA

#22 Jun 10, 2009
If their names were Symercruz and Jaegelquez we'd be reading from all the bigots. Instead, they remain under a rock.
Duh

Harrisburg, PA

#23 Jun 10, 2009
This was not a minor crime, there was a weapon involved and this guy could have died. I have seen bail posted at 50,000.00 for someone just punching another individual-so something does not smell right here.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#24 Jun 10, 2009
David-1206 wrote:
"...In court records, Jaegel told police she and Symer were fighting and threw items at each other....."
Sounds like he got what he deserved....
They've more than likely been fighting with each other ever since they met; the fight just got a WEE bit out of hand this time....
local

Allentown, PA

#26 Jun 10, 2009
this doesn't make sense. was this woman and HIS wife??? both living with him?
comment

Bethlehem, PA

#28 Jun 10, 2009
this is really super low bond for a serious crime. what is wrong with the magistrate up there?

Since: Feb 07

New York, NY

#29 Jun 10, 2009
David-1206 wrote:
"...In court records, Jaegel told police she and Symer were fighting and threw items at each other....."
Sounds like he got what he deserved....
That wasn't there when I originally read the article. My thoughts on the bail amount still stand, however. Nobody deserves to be stabbed in the head for throwing something, though...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walnutport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tamaqua drug sweep nets 20 (Jun '14) Apr 21 fap fap fap fap 41
News Slatington woman injured in Nesquehoning rollover Apr 9 CommSense 2
SCHLIECHER finances Challenge Petitions of othe... Apr 8 farmer john 2
Richard Diehl Paving (Nov '13) Apr 3 Isaac A 6
News Vaccine pros and cons: Palmerton mother... Mar '15 anothervoice 76
Palmerton Elementary School Teacher Fired Feb '15 crayz8 3
News Fourteen arrested in Slatington area drug sweep (Apr '09) Feb '15 Riskie westside R... 15
More from around the web

Walnutport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]