airplane or helicopter for mosquito spraying

Posted in the Walnut Ridge Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
eaten alive

Little Rock, AR

#1 Aug 1, 2009
I was just outside and could not stay out there for more than 3 minutes. I have not heard the helicopter or a plane overhead spraying for mosquitoes in this town in a couple of years. What the heck is going on with that? I have heard something lately about this, but want to see what someone else had to say to see if it were true. Anyone out there know what is up with that?
Open Ears

Little Elm, TX

#2 Aug 1, 2009
The city helicopter was traded in on a load of guitars and Little Rock hookers

Little Rock, AR

#3 Aug 1, 2009
eaten alive wrote:
I was just outside and could not stay out there for more than 3 minutes. I have not heard the helicopter or a plane overhead spraying for mosquitoes in this town in a couple of years. What the heck is going on with that? I have heard something lately about this, but want to see what someone else had to say to see if it were true. Anyone out there know what is up with that?
Have you noticed one of the planes sitting tied down at the airport? It is a twin engine plane and I think it is called a piper aztec or one similar to one of those types of planes. That is not all that is going on in this city. There are a bunch of things going on that we need to check into. You were probably told the truth about that plane. I wonder what will be said about this by some others.
mosquito

United States

#4 Aug 1, 2009
Hey eaten alive! I've been around for many years now , in fact I'm in all 50 states and don't plan on leaving any of them. Good luck getting me to leave your area ,whether you attack me by land or sky.
Arkie

Caraway, AR

#5 Aug 2, 2009
There are laws governing planes flying over residential areas. I think arial spraying for mosquetoes maybe aginst the law when planes turn over houses. Ground spraying is much safer and puts the spray where it is needed not on anyone who happens to be outside their house.
spraying

Mountain Home, AR

#6 Aug 2, 2009
Arkie wrote:
There are laws governing planes flying over residential areas. I think arial spraying for mosquetoes maybe aginst the law when planes turn over houses. Ground spraying is much safer and puts the spray where it is needed not on anyone who happens to be outside their house.
Dont think the statement above is true, since we have several small planes that fly over WR spraying farm fields There are several small farm fields in the middle of this town and they fly over spraying all the time, even fly over the school. Just go towards LR on freeway and during farm season and small planes are flying all over the place.

I "think" I heard it was to expensive to spray by helicopter or plane for our city. So they just do the ground spray. Now if farmers would treat their rice waters we might get some where on skeeters. I know that Stuggart who is the Rice capital did exactly that and has gained great control over skeeters. The problem is the cost of treating the rice fields, farmers do not want to have that expense!
bug

United States

#7 Aug 2, 2009
spraying wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont think the statement above is true, since we have several small planes that fly over WR spraying farm fields There are several small farm fields in the middle of this town and they fly over spraying all the time, even fly over the school. Just go towards LR on freeway and during farm season and small planes are flying all over the place.
I "think" I heard it was to expensive to spray by helicopter or plane for our city. So they just do the ground spray. Now if farmers would treat their rice waters we might get some where on skeeters. I know that Stuggart who is the Rice capital did exactly that and has gained great control over skeeters. The problem is the cost of treating the rice fields, farmers do not want to have that expense!
Unless the cost is reasonable, don't count on this. Farmers are out enough money already and remember they feed you and your family. So take this literally , don't bite the hand that feeds you.
spraying

Mountain Home, AR

#8 Aug 2, 2009
bug wrote:
<quoted text> Unless the cost is reasonable, don't count on this. Farmers are out enough money already and remember they feed you and your family. So take this literally , don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Since the farmers of Stuggart can treat their farm rice waters for skeeters, why cant those in this area do the same? Farmers are supported by our govt. never fool yourself they get bailed out all the time if their crop is bad or what ever. IMHO farmers have it way to easy as for payments from the govt.
beans and rice

United States

#9 Aug 2, 2009
spraying wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the farmers of Stuggart can treat their farm rice waters for skeeters, why cant those in this area do the same? Farmers are supported by our govt. never fool yourself they get bailed out all the time if their crop is bad or what ever. IMHO farmers have it way to easy as for payments from the govt.
Its clear you don't have any recent agri roots and don't know what you are talking about. If farmers have it so easy ;why have they been on the decline in a major way for about 30 yrs now? Ever heard of farm-aid? These events would not be held if all farmers had it so good. Also when and if the gov helps; its usually on a fraction of the farmer's loss. Like its been said be careful about biting the hand that feeds you.
Union

Mountain Home, AR

#10 Aug 2, 2009
beans and rice wrote:
<quoted text> Its clear you don't have any recent agri roots and don't know what you are talking about. If farmers have it so easy ;why have they been on the decline in a major way for about 30 yrs now? Ever heard of farm-aid? These events would not be held if all farmers had it so good. Also when and if the gov helps; its usually on a fraction of the farmer's loss. Like its been said be careful about biting the hand that feeds you.
yes I know the little farmers have gone out, only to be taken over by larger farms. How many other businesses do you know of that can get bailed out every year they have a bad yr?? not many. Dont think you have to worry about biting the hand that feeds you, there is always a large farm org. that is willing to take over and make those crops. So the old scare tatics of the farmer being the backbone of this country, IMHO does not work any longer. I will also say in the next 30 yrs you will see less and less of the family farms, they will all become corp org. IMHO
Info

Little Rock, AR

#11 Aug 3, 2009
Whover was in charge of the mosquito program traded our 125,000 dollar working helicopter for a 50,000 dollar piece of crap airplane that either won't fly, or has a bad title. They recently pulled that plane out of the hanger it has been stored in since the trade of the decade took place. It was removed to put the plane they busted all the weed on a few weeks ago. Has anyone discussed this with our city council? Did the city get any money for the trade difference? Who came out on the good side of this trade? The good citizens of WR sure have not. Has anyone asked why the city purchased insurance on a plane that could not be used? I think it is way past time the citizens got involved a little more in this town. Giving these people carte blanche over our tax dollars is evidently not a good thing. This is just one of many things that are not being told.
Seat 13

United States

#12 Aug 3, 2009
bug wrote:
<quoted text> Unless the cost is reasonable, don't count on this. Farmers are out enough money already and remember they feed you and your family. So take this literally , don't bite the hand that feeds you.
They also get several tax breaks and free farm to market roads. THey should have the descency to take pride in their town.
Be Responsible

United States

#13 Aug 3, 2009
THe subject is not about our farmers. It is about those da-- skeeters! Fly a plane and do a better job. Spray the swamps and standing water. Property owners turn over those buckets, pans etc.
skeeters

Mountain Home, AR

#14 Aug 4, 2009
Be Responsible wrote:
THe subject is not about our farmers. It is about those da-- skeeters! Fly a plane and do a better job. Spray the swamps and standing water. Property owners turn over those buckets, pans etc.
hmmm how long have you lived in rice country?? most of our skeeter problems are due to the water that is used in growing rice. So yes this skeeter problem is due largely to farmers!!!
you stated clean up standing waters, well tell that to a rice farmer.*L* ding dong now do you understand where the skeeters are breeding?? RICE WATERS! Farmers treat your rice water and it would almost elimate skeeters.
Research

Jonesboro, AR

#15 Aug 4, 2009
If it was not for the farmers this town would not even be here. People complain all the time about everything the farmers do, but really people they do have has it as easy as you think. If they do not grow a crop a lot of people in the United States and world wide do not eat. Why don't you just cut them some slack sometimes. We are going to have skeeters one way or another. This town was built on a swamp.

Lake Charles, LA

#16 Aug 4, 2009
would like to know how Wayne Lomax is and to ask again for address where to send a donation Thank you

Since: Mar 09

Caraway, AR

#17 Aug 4, 2009
Research wrote:
If it was not for the farmers this town would not even be here. People complain all the time about everything the farmers do, but really people they do have has it as easy as you think. If they do not grow a crop a lot of people in the United States and world wide do not eat. Why don't you just cut them some slack sometimes. We are going to have skeeters one way or another. This town was built on a swamp.
Most people atually thnk they own all that machinery, they don't realize it is al bought on credit and if they make one bad crop they loose everything they have. I've been there done that I can fully simpathise with the farmers.
bug

United States

#18 Aug 4, 2009
skeeters wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmm how long have you lived in rice country?? most of our skeeter problems are due to the water that is used in growing rice. So yes this skeeter problem is due largely to farmers!!!
you stated clean up standing waters, well tell that to a rice farmer.*L* ding dong now do you understand where the skeeters are breeding?? RICE WATERS! Farmers treat your rice water and it would almost elimate skeeters.
Sorry, but You really don't know what you are talking about . Have agri roots and Before rice was even allowed in lawrence county and you know what ??, back then mosquitos were even worse! Either you are new to the region or you don't remember. Rice water is usually very cold and mosquitos don't really like cold water. Mosquitos are worldwide, but not as bad in lawrence county now vs. yrs past. If it makes some towns feel better to treat their rice ; then so be it, but once again rice fields are not the problem.
skeeters

Mountain Home, AR

#19 Aug 5, 2009
bug wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry, but You really don't know what you are talking about . Have agri roots and Before rice was even allowed in lawrence county and you know what ??, back then mosquitos were even worse! Either you are new to the region or you don't remember. Rice water is usually very cold and mosquitos don't really like cold water. Mosquitos are worldwide, but not as bad in lawrence county now vs. yrs past. If it makes some towns feel better to treat their rice ; then so be it, but once again rice fields are not the problem.
hmmm then why did Stuttguart(the rice capital) almost totally get rid of their skeeters after treating their rice water? You might wish to call their chamber and ask about this. think you might be surprised. rice water does not stay cold all the time, come on get real, water is water and skeeters breed in water. geezzz get serious. Yes been around this area for long time. also know people in the Stuggart area.

Since: Mar 09

Caraway, AR

#20 Aug 5, 2009
skeeters wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Obama will subsidies them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walnut Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fnb 11 hr Well 5
Gym 11 hr High command 2
WR Trash Pick up 17 hr sosad 18
Walnut Ridge CITY POOL+Lifeguards 18 hr old lifeguard 13
WR Underground 18 hr observer 6
carlos & drugs? Thu lilgerl 5
Hoxie Dog ban dog list Wed vote him out 16
More from around the web

Walnut Ridge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE