Fight sends Hogan pupil to hospital

Fight sends Hogan pupil to hospital

There are 68 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Fight sends Hogan pupil to hospital. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

A 17-year-old Hogan High School student was in serious condition Tuesday after being assaulted by another student during an English class.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

Plato

Trussville, AL

#42 Mar 6, 2008
Concerned wrote:
The school district is talking about taking the cops out of the schools again because of the budget crisis.
Are they crazy? Vallejo needs cops on the school campuses.
When I went to Springstown in 70's we had a policeman on campus maybebudget can not afford one now maybe the city councle should reconcider
Plato

Trussville, AL

#43 Mar 6, 2008
George cuddos sound advice. thanks for putting it out there take time with your children period be a part of there life.

Mu daughter and I are still close she is married and has a child

stay in ther lives not control there lives just try to guide nicly
Vallejo Vistor

United States

#44 Mar 6, 2008
I agree, if this thug had just participated in the graffiti program, he would have been a much warmer, nicer and smarter person at school.

We need more graffiti programs to help our thugs become better citizens of Vallejo. What a great idea.

This is money well spent. I would like to donate $1 dollar to the program.
Marie

Sunol, CA

#45 Mar 6, 2008
"Kids make friends and associate with like kids. If your child doesn't drink, do drugs, or fight, she isn't likely to have friends who do these things either.
My stepdaughter went through Vallejo public schools - she didn't believe in any of these things either. Her friends were like her. They were never threatened. And they co-existed in the SAME schools as the kids who smoke, drink, and fight."

HERE, HERE SAN RAMON PARENT! As a Hogan grad I know fights happened all the time at the school, but my friends & I managed to avoid all of them because WE weren't like that.

People need to understand the caliber of students who are involved in these types of activities because it's definitely NOT everyone. When I went to Hogan me & my friends witnessed & heard about an assortment of fights, stabbings, sexual activity etc. but somehow a majority of people I know went on to graduate to become seriously successful. I'm talking TV show host, athletes, doctors, game designers etc. All products of public school.

I will say however, that these much like when I was in school (10 years ago) are awful. How much of that fight could have been avoided had security been called at the start? Better yet, if the teacher didn't allow the verbal dispute that happened previously. If they can't do anything send them to the office, get campus security involved, something BUT DON'T JUST SIT THERE.

So many kids are dying now behind violence that started with a trade of harsh words. And to the other parent who said Hogan is bad with calling parents back. This is so true!

Plato

Trussville, AL

#46 Mar 6, 2008
I must admit bask when I was going to hight school Hogan was the premo school and Vallejo Senior i went to was the rough one. curiouse what happened I know truoble will be in both school one must advoid the trouble like Marie stated find people of the same or simular like and customs
Plato

Trussville, AL

#47 Mar 6, 2008
sorry for the spelling in this post and others must look clser and not be in a rush
Henry

Hercules, CA

#48 Mar 6, 2008
This bully found out what I have been telling my kids for years, "Knowledge is Power."
Jennifer

United States

#49 Mar 6, 2008
I find it funny how you guys are reffering to him as a thug when clearly the newspaper didnt give a description of how he looked so passing judgments doesnt benefit anyone. Also a graffiti program? C'mon people let's get real here, alot of people have a variety of ways to take out their anger and graffiti isnt the answer that right there is a dangerous thing to do.
I have friends that go to Hogan and I believe the boy that got injured had to say something to the other guy in order for this to happen. I was told by a variety of my friends that the school didnt do much to help and that right there shows that the Vallejo system needs help right there and that yes our community has a problem but there should be more options for the teens to get involved in.
Hogan Parent

San Francisco, CA

#50 Mar 6, 2008
Who is the Bully here? Is it the kid who beat the other one up, or is it the bully who was beaten?

The reality is that "back in the day", fights would occur, kids went to the Dean's office, and that was it. Now, in the era of "zero tolerance", kids are afraid to fight due to the automatic suspensions.

I think this is a result of "anger management" issues, that most adults scoff at, but is in fact real for today's kids. They have fewer ways to be able to deal with issues, with greater consequences when they do.

When the truth comes out, we'll find that the bully was the vicitm, and the bully's victim "snapped"
Jennifer

United States

#51 Mar 6, 2008
Hogan Parent wrote:
Who is the Bully here? Is it the kid who beat the other one up, or is it the bully who was beaten?
The reality is that "back in the day", fights would occur, kids went to the Dean's office, and that was it. Now, in the era of "zero tolerance", kids are afraid to fight due to the automatic suspensions.
I think this is a result of "anger management" issues, that most adults scoff at, but is in fact real for today's kids. They have fewer ways to be able to deal with issues, with greater consequences when they do.
When the truth comes out, we'll find that the bully was the vicitm, and the bully's victim "snapped"
I couldnt agree more. I just wish that the boy that send the other guy to the hospital would of had friends that could of stopped him or would of reported the boy that was bothering him to the office. Its just hard for kids to open up about their problems now a days.

Since: Feb 08

Vallejo, CA

#52 Mar 7, 2008
Hogan Parent wrote:
....I think this is a result of "anger management" issues, that most adults scoff at, but is in fact real for today's kids. They have fewer ways to be able to deal with issues, with greater consequences when they do…..
How much of this "anger management" issue has to do with kids not being as active as when I was a kid...with the TV babysitter and videogames being so popular, all we are doing is putting kids in a room and getting them amped up on junk.....how are you going to learn how to deal with your emotions when all you've known in your childhood is plugging into the boob tube and playing violent games.

There has to be a common thread here.

If kids were more active this wouldn’t be as big an issue.
Local Mom

United States

#53 Mar 7, 2008
VHS Mom wrote:
I definitely agree with you vallejo parent. my child graduated from vallejo high school and she now goes to good university. My daughter went to public school since 1st grade and I would have to tell you that I'm very proud of her. I would say that she is more behaved compared to the kids who went/goes to private schools. I keep telling my daughter how proud I am and she would always say that is because I was deeply involve in her life. Kids need ears to listen, an open mind to be able to give good advise, parents who are not judgemental, and most importantly, they need RESPECT. Kids ought to know that even parents make mistakes and learn how to ackowledge their mistakes.Gone are the days when kids don't have a voice and parents not saying sorry to their kids. If parents have instilled this values in their kid's minds, then they will do good.
<quoted text>
Your statement: "I would say that she is more behaved compared to the kids who went/goes to private schools."

This is a loose statement at best. You obviously have a good daughter, because you were a good parent - kudos to you. But to make the statement that she's more behaved than kids in private schools, is an unfair statement. My child is in private school and the children there are extremely well-behaved and that is also do to parent involvement and discipline. Schools don't have anything to do with your child's behavior - it's because of you that your children are who they are. So, take the compliment and don't make such broad comments about something you're not totally knowledgeable of. There are good and bad kids in all schools. Congrats on a raising a wonderful kid!
Vallejo Vistor

United States

#54 Mar 7, 2008
Hey Jennifer, you crack me up.

The poor thug. They are all thugs. What do you call a person who beats up another person, putting him in the hospital, not just any hospital, but a trauma center.

Maybe you should help Tony with his graffiti program and enroll this nice young thug.

peace out
Jennifer

United States

#55 Mar 7, 2008
ghetto man wrote:
Hey Jennifer, you crack me up.
The poor thug. They are all thugs. What do you call a person who beats up another person, putting him in the hospital, not just any hospital, but a trauma center.
Maybe you should help Tony with his graffiti program and enroll this nice young thug.
peace out
Im not trying to be funny so I dont know why I crack you up.

You deserve a round of applause for your answer because you are so funny and that made sense, how about you pay for the spray paint or better yet actually think before posting next time. Thanks.
wow

San Francisco, CA

#56 Mar 8, 2008
i like this comment.:)
Vallejo parent wrote:
This child was a bully indeed pushing this boy’s back against the wall day after day he cried out for help from the school official but nothing took place because their to wrap up in the fact that the city of Vallejo is going bankrupt and whether or not there going to have a job his parents even went to talk to the school no results there either. So what do you think he should have done???? differently keep getting beat up and have his money taken i don’t think so no it should have gone as far as it did but with built up pressure being release things happen this is a good kid with a 3.0 grade average there is nothing dumb about him what’s dumb is the injured boys parents not fulfilling their Childs needs and sends him to school to take from others because he is less fortunate. Educate yourselves as parent and as readers learn about before your so quick to speak about and remember only god can judge so who are you???.
wow

San Francisco, CA

#57 Mar 8, 2008
these teachers wont do anything because they are terrified!
Daughter in Class wrote:
My daughter was in the class where this happened; it was just not a fight. The student that did all the harm also dropped a desk on the other students head; the student then had a seizure. The teacher in the class stood by and watched this all happen and did nothing to stop any of it. I have called Hogan and Franklin where I have my daughter and son; I have not received a phone call back from anyone. I have called the school district and again no call back. I do blame the school and district. They seem not to care about any of the children.
Navy Vet

Vallejo, CA

#58 Mar 9, 2008
You all need to look at the education code. Teachers and for that matter the campus supervisors are extremely limited at what they can do to stop fights. The first time a teacher tries to break up a fight by touching the students to separate them there is a lawsuit. AND administrators will not support the teacher. The VEA doesn't do much good either. No wonder the students run the campus at our schools.
FACTSONLY

San Rafael, CA

#59 Mar 10, 2008
Mary Sanchez wrote:
What will happen to the little darling who did this? NOTHING, because the school needs him in class to get the ADA money. Should the student and his family be required to PAY for the medical treatment including the tranportation to the hospital? Oh no, that's what the taxpayers are for. Are you starting to see a pattern here.
Yes, I see a pattern. Your arguments are as inconsistent as any I've ever read.

First you knock the propoesed contract from the teachers...one that would decrease the size of classes and demand that actions such as this would have a strict protocol that would be followed to avoid such incidents to be happen over and over by repeat offenders.

Of course, campus security, counselors, smaller classes..and the other tools needed to avoid such heinous acts...do require money.

Yet, you wrote: "What part of already bankrupt don't you dunderheads understand? If any of you teachers can read, take a look at the Vallejo paper and you might read about the city going bankrupt for doing just what you are asking for."

So, using your (yes, it's flawed) logic, this student should be kept in school since it would bring relief to financial woes.

So, what do you truly want? Fiscal solvency or justice? Unfortunately, you cannot always have one without the other. I hope such a notion doesn't cause your mind to blow a few circuits (somehow I can see your brow furrowing as you read this).

I guess what you are unable to see through vitriol-filled eyes, Ms Sanchez is that you cannot have your cake and eat it too. If you wish for problems like this to not happen in the first place....well, sometimes you have to pay the piper to ensure that such incidents are the exception rather than the norm.

Have you even read the contract that was presented?
It is online...and easily accessible for public reading.

It addresses incidents such as this one, and it is done so with powerful language that would ensure that it does not happen again at a school site.

Of course, this would require that you to do a little research and a little reading. I've come to the conclusion that this would take away from your modus operandi of pontificating without knowing anything about what you write. Why switch horses in midstream? You seem to wear your ignorance as though it's a badge of pride.

People such you, you make great demands. Yet when a reality-based solution exists, you are unwilling to make any of the sacrifices or accept the components that would make your demands plausible.

In short, you probably don't wish for matters such as this to be resolved nor is it likely that you honestly hope for justice to prevail.

After all, based on what you've written, it seems as though you'd have little to do with your life if there didn't exist a strawman toward whom you could spew your venom.

"Pathetic" is too charitable word to use to describe the walking contradictions that ooze out of your poisonous writings.

Plato

Birmingham, AL

#60 Mar 10, 2008
I have noticed a pattern in or maybe it is just my observation but in the last couple of threads regaurding school and students alot of parents blamed the teacher not support the teacher, do not get me wrong I am not saying the teacher is always right nor the student always wrong. I was a student once and trust me the had every right to do what they did in my case; said all that to say this should we as parents of school children take responability if our child was at fault (I could be wrong but law says we are responsible till 18 ) to many times parents put children on pedistals and have te attitude my child would not do that or makee excuses for there attitude.
I believe in justice if the teacher is in the wrong the deal with them and if the student is wrong then deal with them. I speak from experience my daughter is 22.
Senior at Hogan High

Bethel Island, CA

#61 Mar 17, 2008
"The teacher whose class this happened in should be repremanded in some way. Who let's this kind of criminal activity happen in a classroom?!! If this thug picked up a desk and dropped it on this kid, it sounds like others may have been in danger as well. This isn't a school district issue, this is a teacher issue. This story is despicable and you hear them every day coming out of Vallejo, unfortunately. You have kids running the classroom instead of the teachers. Absolutely disgusting!"

If you personally know the teacher, than you would understand that she could not have possibly done anything to stop it. However, she DID call the police and the campus supervisors as soon as the fight broke out. You can't blame her for not being able to control the fight, it was out of her hands. Not only were the boys perhaps twice her size, but once a fight is started, you need an immense amount of strength to pull the fight apart, whether it involves boys or girls.
And as for the fight itself...it was just a result of immature teenagers who can't control their anger regarding race. It was pointless, and it didn't need to happen. Sure, the injured boy talked shit a lot...but doesn't everyone? He didn't deserve to get his head beaten in. Such an act of violence, in a school no less, is absolutely unneeded and gives Hogan a bad name.
I used to hold so much pride in my school, but not so much anymore.
-Hogan Student

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walnut Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DUI checkpoint in Suisun City nets 29 arrests 12 hr Birds Landing Bob 1
News How Many People Receive Food Stamps In Danville... (Aug '13) Aug 20 ok. 13
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... (Sep '15) Aug 19 Gold Medal Art 103
Complaints Against Google+ (Jul '14) Aug 14 caecude 104
churles savage Aug 12 slitzpatz 1
News Benicia police woes (Mar '09) Aug 12 Ember 265
News Justices strike down Contra Costa family court ... (Aug '07) Aug 11 Darice Dubrovich 75

Walnut Creek Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Walnut Creek Mortgages