Walnut Valley Unified fires superintendent, citing need for 'change...

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Walnut Valley Unified's Superintendent Cyndy Simms had her last day with the district on Friday after being fired by the school board earlier in the week.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Rufus T Firefly

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

School administrators are much like career politicians. They get locked into their "glass bubble" of education and have idea how the real world works. If the general public were able to plainly see the amount of salary most of these people make, it would really create on outrage by parents seeing their hard earned money go outside of the classroom and not directly to educate students.
Chris

Buena Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
School administrators are much like career politicians. They get locked into their "glass bubble" of education and have idea how the real world works. If the general public were able to plainly see the amount of salary most of these people make, it would really create on outrage by parents seeing their hard earned money go outside of the classroom and not directly to educate students.
And administrators are supposed to make the same amount as a custodian? Management will always make more money it's the "real world". Teachers work 10 months/year and administrators work 12 months/year. There are many teachers that make the same amount as an administrator when you add in all their extra stipends and then convert it to a 12 month position. Of course superintendents that are in charge of the entire district would make more $ than any other administrator or staff memember. Again...the real world
Kim

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

Works for me.
longtime_teacher

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

Judged:

Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many teachers that make the same amount as an administrator when you add in all their extra stipends and then convert it to a 12 month position.
You've got the math completely backwards, Chris. Teachers DO NOT GET PAID those 2 months, so you have to spread their 10 month salary out over 12 months - in other words, teachers have to save 20% of every check from October to July to *make it through* August and September. I seriously doubt you could do that - and if you were forced to, we'd never hear the end of your complaining.

Stop whining that teachers make too much. An example of a coaching stipend is about $1,200 A YEAR - not a month, a YEAR. For proctoring a test on a Saturday? 40 bucks. Oooh nice - that happens once a year. Yeah those "huge stipends" really add up.(rolls eyes) You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

Imagine the salary *you* would ask for, for having to deal with 38 kids an hour just like your "darling," 7 hours a day.

You make corporate comparisons - well no one complains if corporate employees get profit-sharing, stock options, and the rest - how many Google employees are millionaires? Why aren't you ranting about that? Oh that's right - because you sat in a desk for 12 years you think you are an expert on education.
Some advice

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

Walnut Valley USD is one of the finest in the state at all levels. The school board has consistently demanded the best in District Administration, teachers and staff in order to fulfill the District mission of providing the best education for all the students in its care. WVUSD always ranks very high statewide on all metrics at all levels.

It would be very interesting to know where and why the District felt that Supt. Simms was failing to meet the District mission and thus a new direction was needed to be taken in the form of a new superintendent.
Chris

Buena Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

longtime_teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got the math completely backwards, Chris. Teachers DO NOT GET PAID those 2 months, so you have to spread their 10 month salary out over 12 months - in other words, teachers have to save 20% of every check from October to July to *make it through* August and September. I seriously doubt you could do that - and if you were forced to, we'd never hear the end of your complaining.
Stop whining that teachers make too much. An example of a coaching stipend is about $1,200 A YEAR - not a month, a YEAR. For proctoring a test on a Saturday? 40 bucks. Oooh nice - that happens once a year. Yeah those "huge stipends" really add up.(rolls eyes) You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.
Imagine the salary *you* would ask for, for having to deal with 38 kids an hour just like your "darling," 7 hours a day.
You make corporate comparisons - well no one complains if corporate employees get profit-sharing, stock options, and the rest - how many Google employees are millionaires? Why aren't you ranting about that? Oh that's right - because you sat in a desk for 12 years you think you are an expert on education.
Obviously teachers don't read very good either! But whatever! You will get your stimuls money so relax
Chris

Buena Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

PS: Sorry you chose a job that you get 2 months off without pay. However, I chose to work those 2 months and therefore get paid for them. It also sounds like you are frustrated with working with kids so now is a good time for change. I know for a fact there are some teachers that get paid over $12,000/year just in stipends...but I never claimed ALL teachers get that.
What do you know

Rowland Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

Simms has been butting heads with board member H. She was fired but still gets paid for the remainder of her contract -- 18 months. Talking about fiscally irresponsible!
Well Duh

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2010

What do you know wrote:
Simms has been butting heads with board member H. She was fired but still gets paid for the remainder of her contract -- 18 months. Talking about fiscally irresponsible!
Isn't this the same board and supt that lost a court case over stealing students from surrounding Districts? Could this have been one of the reasons she was fired? Thoughts anyone?

Also, if the Board fired her and still has to pay 18 months, they are a bunch of idiots. Spending money and getting no benefit during a budget crisis? Brilliant!
Solman

Diamond Bar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

If any teacher gets 12K in stipends, it is rare. Interesting that some feel Walnut is stealing students from other districts. I thought that was a choice of parents and I thought that "school choice" was the direction the public wants to go.
Diamond Bar Parent

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2010

Teachers work hard and deserve the most we can pay them. However, I do think Walnut is stealing students from surrounding areas because of the additional funds they bring in. It's not about school choice because parents living inside the district cannot transfer to schools of their choice within the district boundary. The open lottery to get into specific schools in the district is only open
to kids outside the district. So not really about choice is it?
jojo

Ojai, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

I made more money as a teacher working 6 periods a day than I do as an Administrator. I do not work in Walnut, but it is the same there. The Teachers' Unions love to paint the ugly Administrator picture, but finally teachers are realizing the Union leaders work fewer hours, less days, and only represent their own needs. Ask your Union leaders if they are even Highly Qualified. I know those in Walnut aren't! True! Any teacher is welcome to get a second Masters and become an Administrator to take more garbage from parents and teachers, make less money, work longer hours, and be slammed every time the Union gets a chance. Go for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Walnut Discussions

Search the Walnut Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 16 min Get Right or Get Left 7,326
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Cali Girl 2014 199,107
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 3 hr jef helms 15,674
CA Cities lose choices 7 hr ringers 1
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 8 hr lmsa info 4,289
La puente shows us the way. 8 hr the roots 9
CAUTION! Do not purchase from Sunny Sports Inc.... (Nov '08) 11 hr Amby 603
•••
•••

Walnut News Video

•••
•••

Walnut Jobs

•••
•••