Autopsy Reports on Harlan Miners: 3 l...

Autopsy Reports on Harlan Miners: 3 likely died from carbon mon...

There are 8 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from May 21, 2006, titled Autopsy Reports on Harlan Miners: 3 likely died from carbon mon.... In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

Three of the five Harlan County miners killed in an explosion early Saturday probably survived the blast but died later of carbon monoxide poisoning, preliminary autopsy reports showed yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

Ian Harwood _Australia

Caboolture, Australia

#1 May 22, 2006
How lucky in Australia that we saved two of our miners after 14 days now all will know their story,it is so sad when things go wrong and your miners are the other side of the coin
Steve

Houston, TX

#2 May 22, 2006
It makes me mad to hear about this kind of tragedy. I have never been in a mine, nor know oneone personally who has. But why is it that investigators had to ventilate the shaft of carbon monoxide before going down there? Why wasn't it already being ventilated while some poor slob was down there working? How much longer can the Bush government let this go on in the name of cheap coal?
Just An Observor

Sparta, MI

#3 May 23, 2006
Now you know why the coal miners fought for union representation. This is the 2006, and they still have working conditions that are nothing short of deplorable. I feel for these people. A mere one hours' worth of oxygen. Our Gov't can no longer sit on it's fingers and thumbs, while mine workers suffer under their procrastination.
Wild Hair

United States

#4 Apr 25, 2009
With MTR (mountain Top Removal ) they don't need as many miners and the ones they have are all replaceable. When the mountains are gone so are all the jobs! My ppl went to Chicago ( I was born there.)from the mountains to get work and always ended up coming home. Home to Harlan County Kentucky. Now the water is contaminated with pcb's, the mud is washing in on us when it rains and we're having to watch them rape and steal the mountains right before our eyes. Their RUINING OUR HOME!!! We won't have no place to return to, You wouldn't recognize it. The mountains around my Wallins Creek home were etched in my mind like my mothers face. You should never have to watch them destroy something so beloved and beautiful. I'm leaving, never to return, they've taken our home our "city" is gone too. Their taking EVERYTHING and leaving us behind in the hell hole their creating. God help us all, especially in my beloved homeland. We shouldnt let those greedy bastards take our mountains. I've already sent MY letter to the President of these United States. It's easy, we should all write one. Help us, please help us!
lol

Mount Clemens, MI

#5 Apr 27, 2009
Wild Hair wrote:
With MTR (mountain Top Removal ) they don't need as many miners and the ones they have are all replaceable. When the mountains are gone so are all the jobs! My ppl went to Chicago ( I was born there.)from the mountains to get work and always ended up coming home. Home to Harlan County Kentucky. Now the water is contaminated with pcb's, the mud is washing in on us when it rains and we're having to watch them rape and steal the mountains right before our eyes. Their RUINING OUR HOME!!! We won't have no place to return to, You wouldn't recognize it. The mountains around my Wallins Creek home were etched in my mind like my mothers face. You should never have to watch them destroy something so beloved and beautiful. I'm leaving, never to return, they've taken our home our "city" is gone too. Their taking EVERYTHING and leaving us behind in the hell hole their creating. God help us all, especially in my beloved homeland. We shouldnt let those greedy bastards take our mountains. I've already sent MY letter to the President of these United States. It's easy, we should all write one. Help us, please help us!
I agree fully, I hate when I hear people say "it won't do any good to write or complain" It's our obligation to do so no matter what you think the outcome will be. We have lost so many of our rights but not our pride. I don't live in the moutains, but love it from my childhood & travel & vacation in the mountains at least twice a year & I'm heartsick at what's happening. Please get involved even if only for your own dignity.
Jason

Winchester, KY

#6 May 7, 2009
Steve you are obviusly not a geologist when a mine collapses it releases pockets of gas. But I still agree they need more precautionary steps.
coal miner

Winchester, KY

#7 Dec 5, 2009
coal is what made harlan and that is the only real paying jobs we have around here. i am a strip miner and if you want to pay my bills then go for it, shut down the mining. you wouldnt like it if we came to where you live and tried to take away your jobs. we live here,you dont, so keep your nose out of our business please, thankyou.
coal keeps the lights on

friends of coal
Coal is good

Richmond, KY

#9 Aug 10, 2010
If you don't like coal, don't use electricity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wallins Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New to area 7 min Tye 1
Word Association (Feb '15) 23 min The Stealth 1,149
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 56 min it dont 148,164
Cawood school 2 hr Wondering 3
Jason Capps 2 hr Random 2
Add a Word Drop a word (Aug '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 3,898
News Lawsuit: Harlan hospital pharmacy illegally dis... 2 hr blue mist 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wallins Creek Mortgages