Police: Excessive speed led to crash ...

Police: Excessive speed led to crash killing 2 teens

There are 22 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 21, 2008, titled Police: Excessive speed led to crash killing 2 teens. In it, Newsday reports that:

The car was driven at a high rate of speed by 16-year-old George McLean of Wallingford, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
adam

Wallingford, CT

#1 Jan 22, 2008
I wonder if the parents think it was such a good idea to give a 16 year old a car that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds and can accelerate to well over 150 mph. What are these parents thinking? Now their son is dead along with the son of another family all because they were reckless parents.
Wild Bill

United States

#2 Jan 22, 2008
what kind of car? The newsday article doesn't mention.
Daniel Sergi

Waterbury, CT

#4 Jan 22, 2008
Hey, Adam, from the outside looking in it sure looks pretty cut and dry doesn't it? Do you think it's fair to accuse the parents of being "reckless" because a tragedy occurred? You don't even know all the facts. That's simply jumping to conclusions. If the 16 year old was driving a hyundai or honda civic, the same accident could have occurred. It was an accident, maybe due to poor judgement by the 16 year old, but these parents weren't drving the car.
friend

Hoboken, NJ

#5 Jan 23, 2008
I think you are blaming the parents because you want to think that accidents can be avoided. Some parts of life, unfortunately, can't be controlled. The car George was driving wasn't even his car. Have some compassion for these poor people who have lost a son.
adam wrote:
I wonder if the parents think it was such a good idea to give a 16 year old a car that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds and can accelerate to well over 150 mph. What are these parents thinking? Now their son is dead along with the son of another family all because they were reckless parents.
Disgruntled

United States

#6 Jan 23, 2008
There should be a law against kids ages 16-21 driving high performance cars. Yes, this could have happened in any car but let's face it, it's a lot more likely to happen in a 350Z than a Volvo wagon. I can't imagine letting a 16 year-old who's only had his license 4 months drive that car! Remember that bad accident in the Avon area a few mos ago that killed 4 involved another high-performance car, a WRX. I hope McLean's parents have a good umbrella policy - they're gonna need it.
Anne

United States

#7 Jan 23, 2008
To Adam & Disgruntled. I cant believe what I just read. This family just lost their son. Give them a break. And no matter what kind of umbrella policy they have it is not going to bring back the lives of these two young men. That is what is wrong with our socity- every one is sue happy.
Friend from Hamden

Wallingford, CT

#8 Jan 24, 2008
Anne wrote:
To Adam & Disgruntled. I cant believe what I just read. This family just lost their son. Give them a break. And no matter what kind of umbrella policy they have it is not going to bring back the lives of these two young men. That is what is wrong with our socity- every one is sue happy.
Let me tell you please don't judge the McLeans. They are the most wonderful parents that I have met. They offer their kids lots of opportunity, interact with their kids alot and try like all of us to make good choices for their kids. They are genuine good parents that are interested in what the kids are doing,their friends, their interests.
Friend

Binghamton, NY

#9 Jan 24, 2008
It is so easy to say the parents shouldn't have done this, the parents shouldn't have done that. Blah, blah, blah. This is a tragic accident and the families are all devestated. I know that are not going to beat themselves up over the kind of car George was driving...and they shouldn't. Where is the compassion..everyone is so quick to criticize and show disapproval. It seems that so many think they are perfect and they can freely railroad others when their is something they don't agree with.
My daughter had Cancer in Dec 2006..I suppose you are going to tell me it is my fault due to the diet we provide for her???
PartsShopper

United States

#10 Jan 25, 2008
Looks like the left rear wheel might be salvagable.
Nicole

Beans Purchase, NH

#11 Jan 26, 2008
adam wrote:
Who made you judge and jury? You have PIECES of th puzzle, and are missing major points. Ignorant people like you jump to the easiest conclusions.
Nicole

Beans Purchase, NH

#12 Jan 26, 2008
PartsShopper wrote:
Looks like the left rear wheel might be salvagable.
At last a voice of reason. Let's focus on the issue at hand. Two innocent lives were lost. None of us were there to know what truly happened. Not even the passenger that survived knows the whole story. He was sleeping when it happened. George was a very well educated, polite, beautiful human being with the best parents a child good have. You can crash in any vehicle, and speed in any vehicle. He made a mistake that he will unfortunately never learn from. Don't cast stones unless you happen to be perfect.

“Politically Incorrect ”

Since: Dec 06

Burlington, NC

#13 Jan 26, 2008
Well, that may be true but it's very difficult to go airborne and hit a tree eight feet off the ground at "any speed". The capabilities of the car exceeded the skill of the driver. Happens all the time.
Nicole wrote:
<quoted text> You can crash in any vehicle, and speed in any vehicle.
Missing George

Windsor Locks, CT

#14 Feb 5, 2008
WHO CARES?? will blaming ANYONE at this point bring back george or tyler? George made a mistake, yes, and theres no denying that fact. but heres another fact, he was one of the most amazing people i have ever met, and his parents are also great people, anyone, any car, can crash. Long story short because of a careless error two deeply loved teens are now gone far too soon :(
Gina

United States

#15 Feb 6, 2008
For those of you who seem to lack all compassion and pass such terrible judgement against these three boys are disgusting. It seems as if you speak from a point of view which ignores the fact that human behavior is defined by the reality that accidents happen, poor judgements are made, and regret is often a priveledge for people who overcome their mistakes and are fortunate enough to realize what errors should, in the future, be avoided. In the case of two of these boys, their misfortune will never allow them this opportunity, yet you have the audacity to provide your opinions about to whom or what you would like to point your own inconsiderate, uninformed finger. As someone who knows for a fact that the McLean family is a family whose love and compassion for each other is unrivaled and should be followed as an example of how people should treat each other, to see George's parents be questioned is absolutely unacceptable. As it happens, to be flawless is impossible, as someone who is otherwise flawless but points a perfect finger still possesses an insurmountable flaw. If you are upset about the conditions in which this tragedy occurred, do something to try to prevent it in the future, not cause more hurt for those who are already experiencing terrible pain.

“Politically Incorrect ”

Since: Dec 06

Burlington, NC

#16 Feb 6, 2008
Okay, you can lick my left one now....thanks!
Gina wrote:
For those of you who seem to lack all compassion and pass such terrible judgement against these three boys are disgusting. It seems as if you speak from a point of view which ignores the fact that human behavior is defined by the reality that accidents happen, poor judgements are made, and regret is often a priveledge for people who overcome their mistakes and are fortunate enough to realize what errors should, in the future, be avoided. In the case of two of these boys, their misfortune will never allow them this opportunity, yet you have the audacity to provide your opinions about to whom or what you would like to point your own inconsiderate, uninformed finger. As someone who knows for a fact that the McLean family is a family whose love and compassion for each other is unrivaled and should be followed as an example of how people should treat each other, to see George's parents be questioned is absolutely unacceptable. As it happens, to be flawless is impossible, as someone who is otherwise flawless but points a perfect finger still possesses an insurmountable flaw. If you are upset about the conditions in which this tragedy occurred, do something to try to prevent it in the future, not cause more hurt for those who are already experiencing terrible pain.
Mourning Friend

Lebanon, NH

#17 Sep 19, 2008
it's eight months today and it makes me sick to my stomach to read some of these comments. George was the most amazing person in the world. Are you kidding me blaming this on the car? or the parents? nobody could ask for a better family than the mcleans and my thoughts and prayers are always with them

i love you george
hehehehe

Toronto, Canada

#19 Nov 30, 2008
you people have no lives if you waisting your time on this i was just looking for information for a project but you people are actually writing paragraphs about the topic! WOW!
Katie

Milford, CT

#20 Dec 9, 2008
Insensitive. All of you.
I lost my best friend in this car crash and his parents are the most wonderful and caring people. I was the last person to see Tyler and say goodbye to him. I watched him get into the car he would die in five minutes later. Are you going to say it's my fault now that he died? Like I was supposed to know what would happen? Some things in life you can't change and you most definitely cannot sit here afterthefact and try to point fingers. But I guess if you would like to blame anyone, you could blame me, not George's parents or Tyler's. I watched Tyler get in the car while Geroge was revving the engine and i watched them leave and I have to live with that. So thanks.
Matt

Moodus, CT

#21 Dec 17, 2008
Well it's pushing a year now...I can hardly believe they have been gone this long. I look down my street, and to this day, there are STILL posters hanging from that tree, and a cross that someone left right after the accident. I dont think a day goes by that I drive past there without thinking about those boys. I wish we could all understand that passing blame on to the parents will not solve anything. They have lost their child. Isn't that guilt enough for them to live with forever?

Rest in Peace George and Tyler, we love you and well see you when our days boil down.
Grieving mom

Dallas, TX

#22 Jan 8, 2009
Soon the truth will be made known. The Town of Wallingford was recklessly negligent in creating a hazardous construction site without proper signage. The car was traveling at 35 mph not 71.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wallingford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a Wilson santiago Mar 11 KING9771 1
News Master Plan Could Cost Half What Was Originally... Mar 9 Michael Lenihan 1
News Pratt & Whitney Threatens To Shut Down Cheshire... (Jul '09) Mar 5 G Carter 87
News 'My Bar' To Move (Mar '08) Feb 26 Ryan R 45
News North Branford's Center School Set for Demo Feb '17 chris 1
News The Amusing History Of Savin Rock, From 1870 To... (Jul '07) Jan '17 CTguy1955 91
Review: Altaquip (Nov '09) Dec '16 GRITS chick 9

Wallingford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wallingford Mortgages