Antares rose like a shining star, col...

Antares rose like a shining star, collapsed like a burst balloon

There are 78 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from Aug 23, 2009, titled Antares rose like a shining star, collapsed like a burst balloon. In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

The elaborate Lake Carrington Estate in backcountry Greenwich is reflective of the Antares story: Built on spec, its shell is complete but there is nothing inside.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bob

United States

#1 Aug 23, 2009
tick tick tick
Buff

Ossining, NY

#2 Aug 23, 2009
Yaaaaaaaaawwwwn.
really

Houston, TX

#3 Aug 23, 2009
I am so happy these guys failed. They were/are scum bags. They did kick old people out of their homes for a buck so they can have a metal credit card. How sad. Everything the built is ugly and overpriced. The old steamboat was 100 times better then the Delmar. These men have no values and are scum.
taxpayer

Elmhurst, NY

#4 Aug 23, 2009
and guess who has to pay to clean up this mess? Our taxes at work, Folks.
an American

Berlin, CT

#5 Aug 23, 2009
Are you the same ones who were so jealous when they were flying high?
This board sounds like kids in a playpen, I want what he has when he has it but when he falls you all yell foul.

Sounds like America.
alixrichar

Valhalla, NY

#6 Aug 23, 2009
I believe Mayor Malloy is going down with them .
dobber140 at hotmail

Norwalk, CT

#7 Aug 23, 2009
I hope that their hard working contractors didn't get hurtLet me know
Vox Pop

Niantic, CT

#8 Aug 23, 2009
So, they reinvented Gordon G.
We all knew that.
The coverage is a nice little history, but part one is a flop as an investigative report.
Lawman in Maryland

Columbia, MD

#9 Aug 23, 2009
Well, this is clearly a case of "How the Mighty have Fallen". I don't cheer that this firm as bitten the dust, but it should be a clear wakr up call to all that the unabashed "GREED" and over the top attitude so prevelant from the 1980's until how is now crashing around us.

What ever happened to good old fashioned hard work, shrewed investment and reaping benefits that may not have been astronomical, but are realistic. I remember their grand plans for the South End of Stamford and how they would transform it from a underused plot into the Jewel of Stamford. I guess NOT now!

Good luck to those who are going after these WEASLES and I use the term loosely!
smoke and mirrors

Elizabeth, NJ

#10 Aug 23, 2009
sorry guys but most of this is BS,the lake Carringon estate was sold at least a year ago, as for all the insider details look who it is coming from a disgruntled employee who got laid off almost 2 years ago and is still crying about it. maybe these guys had some issues but please are they all that important? We love to watch people rise to the top but is so much more fun to watch them fall and then kick them a bit. I don't feel sorry for them they will bounce back i am sure but get the facts straight before we string them up. All we need now is pitchforks and lanterns
They crushed dreams

Jackson, NJ

#11 Aug 23, 2009
There were a lot of good folks that were in that company too. People that bought into the propaganda, joined the company & signed on to the dream of helping to re-develop the south-end of Stamford into a vibrant community.
We wanted to be a part of a great new chapter for Stamford. We weren't all given lavish expense accounts, in fact most of us were just average joe & jane employees trying to make a living while possibly doing something good for our community.
It wasn't until most of us put in long days and nights trying to make things work that we realized we'd been hornswaggled into working for a couple of schisters. The business plan was indeed too good to be true, but I guess we all wanted to believe it could work.
Me & most of my co-workers were promised compensation for the 60, 70 & 80 hour work weeks we put in, but instead we all got laid off or had to otherwise find other employment before the ship completely sank. Meanwhile Jim & Joe put the finishing touches on their estates.
The holiday bonuses for the average worker in 2007? I got a pizza...
Peter Tesei

Ringwood, NJ

#12 Aug 23, 2009
Not only that, Cabrera was not the most popular guy in GHS. I was!
question

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Aug 23, 2009
Why is Frank Farricker's picture included with this article? His connection to Antares apparently was limited to having known one of the founders in high school. He is quoted twice. Yet Greenwich Time includes his photo here? Why?

Is Greenwich Time once again attempting to slime Frank Farricker? He's the vice chairman of the Demoratic Town Committee of Greenwich, and ran for state senator from the 36th district and for first selectman of Greenwich. So why did Greenwich Time and Neil Vigdor include his photo in a story about Antares?

Seems clear that they're trying to imply guilt by association, and not association with Antares in actual fact, but just by sticking Farricker's photo into an article about that failed company. Not a word linking them in business terms.

The same old Greenwich Time right-wing slime machine in action.
Stamford Resident

Manorville, NY

#14 Aug 23, 2009
I couldn't be any happier that this empire failed! It's called the "AMERICAN GREED"...please born in American are born with a silver spoon in their month...however, they don't know the true meaning of the "silver spoon"! They just know how to scam people to reach the top fast!

I couldn't be happier! I just purchase two foreclosures houses in Stamford....get deal if you have the money to jump in the wagon!
Wondering

Manorville, NY

#15 Aug 23, 2009
Is "Antares" affiliated with GE Real Estate?

Can someone shed some light? Thanks
Where Is The Beef

Norwalk, CT

#16 Aug 23, 2009
This article shows the most egregious lack of reporting I have seen in a long time. The headline of the article ought to have been titles "We Need to Sell More Papers." I'm confident that your readership is intelligent enough to read beyond all of the hyperbole. Who cares what kind of credit cards they carry or what kind of cars they drive? If those are crimes, you'd have to lock up half the town. And if someone came to your door (or gate) unannounced, camera in hand, would you make yourself available? If there's a story here beyond your contempt for conspicuous consumption, report it. There's nothing wrong with good investigative reporting. I just don't see much of that here. Attack the problem not the people. To me this story reads is all fluff and no substance. It's tabloid journalism at its worst, and I hope your readership sees it for what it is, and makes their future readership decisions accordingly.
publius

Montville, NJ

#17 Aug 23, 2009
Wondering wrote:
Is "Antares" affiliated with GE Real Estate?
Can someone shed some light? Thanks
no it's not.
former res

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Aug 23, 2009
Is James Cabrera related to Joe Cabrera of Old Greenwich?
Peggy Sue

Palmetto, FL

#19 Aug 23, 2009
Nice Picture. That James Cabrera fella sure looks like he needs to race to the can. We've all been there before, even after eating in the finest restaurants.
Bonez

Sound Beach, NY

#20 Aug 23, 2009
dobber140 at hotmail wrote:
I hope that their hard working contractors didn't get hurtLet me know
They've been listed in the Fairfield County Business Journal numerous times...with liens and what not against them by various companies they owe A LOT of money to, particularly with the "condos" they were going to create in Greenwich ie. Putnam Green, Weavers Hill....

Majority of the people said this was going to happen from the beginning, but others thought the were the best thing to ever happen..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wallingford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DEA, state police crack down on 'outlaw motorcy... (Dec '05) Dec 25 Free rider 204
Searching for elderly Cheshire Casanova Dec 22 NurseJulie 1
News The 146-year-old Yankee Silversmith Inn to clos... (May '08) Dec '17 Sad 46
Wallingford NEEDS Green Party Town Committee Dec '17 EarleAllenJr 1
EarleAllenJr Dec '17 EarleAllenJr 1
Mr Dec '17 EarleAllenJr 1
News The Amusing History Of Savin Rock, From 1870 To... (Jul '07) Nov '17 Just a kid 92

Wallingford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wallingford Mortgages