Linda

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Apr 12, 2008
Were any of Betty Spencer's sons able to go to her funeral when she died?
Russell

La Porte, IN

#24 Apr 28, 2008
You cant do a story on it unless you have lived it. I was 9 years old at the time. It changed all our lives because nothing like that had ever happened and just didnt happen in our area.
Bobby Fuller

United States

#25 May 27, 2008
David Smith is my first cousin. He was sentenced to life at the Pendelton Correctional Facility, in Indiana, in 1977. His mother, Lois Smith, recently deceased, is my aunt. I haven't talked to David for a few yeard but after my tour in Iraq, I plan on visiting him to get the REAL story.
Bobby Fuller

United States

#26 May 27, 2008
Yes, I was at the memorial/funeral for Tom. It tore me up.
Kate

United States

#27 Jun 5, 2008
Okay, I wasn't going to write anything, but I have to set the record straight. I am the grand-daughter of Keith Spencer, and this is what I was told:

Drollinger was an admirer of Charles Manson, and he recruited Stonebreaker, Smith, and Wright to go with him to a random house where they would rob and kill whoever was inside.

It was Valentine's Day, 1977, and my Grandma Betty was at home with her son and 2 of her 3 step-sons (My Grandpa Keith's 3 boys). My mother was out with my father on a date, which is how she was spared. My Grandpa worked nights as a broadcast engineer in Indianapolis, which is how he was spared. Drollinger picked their home because of the nice cars outside. They thought that surely, if there were nice cars outside that there would surely be drugs and cash inside. Great logic, isn't it?

Well, there were no drugs, and no cash to speak of. Only $40 in cash and a couple of small items (my grandma's jewelry and such). While they were robbing my family, my oldest uncle, Raymond, arrived home from visiting his mother. The four men jeered him, and forced him to lay face-down shoulder to shoulder with his three brothers. They told my Grandma to lie on the couch.

And then they started shooting. My grandmother played dead, but they saw her breathing and shot her some more. Her wig was partially blown off, making them thing they had destroyed her head the same as they had destroyed the heads of my uncles. The worst is that the 4 enjoyed it. They wanted to do it again. My grandmother heard their laughter. ALL of their laughter.

When the 4 had left, my Grandmother heard running water, and raised her head to ask if everyone was ok. But they weren't. It wasn't water she was hearing. It was blood.

My Grandma tried to call for help, but the phone lines were cut. The home was on an isolated back rode, so in the middle of winter, my Grandmother ran through the snow, over a partially frozen creek, and to her neighbor's home. Mind you she was bleeding profusely from her wounds on her head and back.

My great-uncle had to identify the bodies. He said it was worse than anything he had ever seen in Vietnam. To this day he has to sleep with the TV on because the nightmares still haunt him.

That's the story. SO DON'T TELL ME THAT A CHILD MURDERING COWARD SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND HIS MOTHER'S FUNERAL. DON'T TELL ME THAT THEY WERE TOO YOUNG. THEY MURDERED CHILDREN IN COLD BLOOD AND LEFT MY GRANDMOTHER FOR DEAD. MY UNCLES DIDN'T GET TO ATTEND GRANDMA BETTY'S FUNERAL. THEY WEREN'T THERE FOR MY MOTHER'S WEDDING, MY SISTER'S WEDDING, OR MY WEDDING. THEY NEVER GOT THE CHANCE. DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME THAT THOSE MURDERERS SHOULD GET A CHANCE OF THEIR OWN.

I understand that some posts are from family members. I am sorry that you and your families were put through this ordeal. And I do believe in forgiveness. But, I am reminded of something that my Grandma Betty said about forgiving the men who killed her boys:

"When Jesus was on the cross, he told the criminal next to him that he was forgiven. He didn't say he could get down!" -Betty Jane Spencer
Amy

United States

#28 Jun 15, 2008
Thank you Kate...
s baise

Decatur, IL

#29 Jun 18, 2008
thank you Katie. i didn't mean to bring up painful past. I do believe that people shouldn't forget this and how these cowards took such young lives.God bless.
s baise

Decatur, IL

#30 Jun 19, 2008
Mike Blankenship wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever find the house or do the story?
the house is gone, but i found the new trailer that is there. i decided to stop the story too many people are upset about this.
Alex Hall

Sharpsville, IN

#31 Aug 18, 2008
Bobby Fuller wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is Bobby Fuller. The man found guilty of the Hollandsburg, David Smith, is my 1st cousin. His mother, Lois Smith, is my mother's sister.
I can find out info from the main source.
My e-mail: us_soldier_88m@yahoo.com
Hello i am 18 years old and i have lived in crawfordsville since i was 4 years old. I just recently found out about this whole scenario. To me what your cousin did was wrong but that is also where peer pressure comes in. From my perspective Roger Drollinger is a horrible person. He seemed like he was trying be someone he isn't (Charles Manson). That was a horrible thing to do but but something that cannot be taken back. I understand what your family must go through not seeing your cousin but think about the families of those four boys and how they feel. I am recently reading the book written by Mike McCarty Choking in Fear. It is a great book but i want to learn more please e-mail me whenever you find new information. Thank you again
former CO at Pendleton

Chicago, IL

#32 Sep 13, 2008
I can't give you specific information on Drollinger, but I can provide information about Stonebreaker, Wright, and Smith.. Stonebreaker was recently busted with a cell phone, and other things that are prohibited to offenders. Wright claims to be a born again Christian, but still has the temper of a 5 year old. I have personally seen him through his little fits, and with a temper like this he has no business to be free and on the streets. As for Smith he is setting in a disciplinary unit for trafficking in cell phones drugs and tobacco. Smith hasnít learned anything from his time in prison. Other than being a whining little manipulator, and an even dumber criminal. These three men deserve to die a miserable painful death. They still have no remorse for their actions, and still try to blame Drollinger for the time they are spending in prison. Bottom line is this. They were all at the scene doing the crime, and having a good time killing innocent people. They haven't paid their debt to society because they are not dead yet, and they all were sentenced to life in prison, and life is what they should spend.
Indy Mom

United States

#33 Sep 18, 2008
Bobby Fuller wrote:
David Smith is my first cousin. He was sentenced to life at the Pendelton Correctional Facility, in Indiana, in 1977. His mother, Lois Smith, recently deceased, is my aunt. I haven't talked to David for a few yeard but after my tour in Iraq, I plan on visiting him to get the REAL story.
Bobby - really, what more do you need? A real story? The hard plain fact is that those four men murdered those innocent boys and attempted to kill their mother as well. Sad but true. All you can do is pray for their soul.
s baise

Decatur, IL

#34 Sep 23, 2008
Indy Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby - really, what more do you need? A real story? The hard plain fact is that those four men murdered those innocent boys and attempted to kill their mother as well. Sad but true. All you can do is pray for their soul.
thank you.
Tom S

Almaty, Kazakhstan

#35 Nov 13, 2008
I was attending high school with some of these idiots. Earlier in the year 1977, they drove around the school and shot out all the street lights. I sat at the same table in study hall with Smith. They were all scum and idiots. Stonebreaker had a bad reputation long before any of this happened. They deserve to rot in prison.
jimdandy

West Lafayette, IN

#36 Dec 2, 2008
sheeplady

Indianapolis, IN

#37 Aug 2, 2009
Bobby Fuller wrote:
I have been trying to find out more info on the Hollandsburg Murders also. I dont like to share what Im about to share but anyways here it is. The person that was convicted of committing the murders, David Smith, is my 1st cousin. I used to visit him in Pendelton prison when i was younger. His mother, Lois Smith, my aunt passed away a couple years ago. I tried to get some answers from her and she changed the subject every time. I am trying to contact my cousin David so i can get the exact story, not some media hype. I am 25 now and his family member, It is about time that I get the truth.
Any info that i can get will be helpful.
My e-mail is: us_soldier_88m@yahoo.com
Thank you.
bobby, the spencers were personal friends of mine. most of the articles about the murders in the papers is not hype. smith in particular was a follower and did as he was told. the spencers home was chosen at random for the thrill of a killing. Betty Jane begged them not to hurt her sons. the drollinger group torrmented them before killing them and trashed the house. the crawfordsville paper did a series of articles about the murders a few years ago. they had hours of tape but nothing that was coherent enough to use so they took fragments of the interviews and made up questions to fit the answers. they may be sorry for what they did but they do not deserve to be out. it was the opinion of the writer that they had been in so long that they could not survive outside of jail. Betty Jane is now dead but Keith is still around. If you have questions I can probably answer them for you. sheeplady
sheeplady

United States

#38 Aug 8, 2009
I met with Keith Spencer tonight and he wanted to make sure I had all the numbers and contacts of people interested in keeping the murderers in jail. they cannot get parole but they can be pardoned by the govenor. He wants to make sure that never happens and I for one will be there to keep them in prison till they die. Should anyone else like to join this cause post to this website. I will contact you to keep you updated. any petitions with signatures to keep them in prison really do help. I would be proud to present them to the parole board that makes recommendations to the govenor. Betty Jane did make a video before she died and it will be presented as well. so far, none of the idiots have tried for a pardon but I am sure they will as some bleeding heart will want them out. Sheeplady
former Parke co resident

Sun City, CA

#39 Aug 13, 2009
sheeplady wrote:
I met with Keith Spencer tonight and he wanted to make sure I had all the numbers and contacts of people interested in keeping the murderers in jail. they cannot get parole but they can be pardoned by the govenor. He wants to make sure that never happens and I for one will be there to keep them in prison till they die. Should anyone else like to join this cause post to this website. I will contact you to keep you updated. any petitions with signatures to keep them in prison really do help. I would be proud to present them to the parole board that makes recommendations to the govenor. Betty Jane did make a video before she died and it will be presented as well. so far, none of the idiots have tried for a pardon but I am sure they will as some bleeding heart will want them out. Sheeplady
I would like to be added to the list. I grew up with these kids. My email address is janetoo@hotmail.com
Parke Native

United States

#40 Aug 26, 2009
Dan of Seymour wrote:
My youngest son is married to Drollinger's neice. His mother died the week before last, and the authorities wouldn't even allow him to attend her funeral. How evil do you have to be that you cannot even go to your own mother's funeral?
Evil..those 4 boys that were killed in cold blood, wasnt able to grow old with there mother and attend her funeral.
Parke Native

United States

#41 Aug 26, 2009
Katie, thank you. I think of you and your sister often. I just want everyone to realize..the book that was written is not all truth, there is some things Betty didnt approve of that was in the book. I miss Betty so much, I visted with her and the boys at the cemetary just last weekend. Because of Betty,I am,who I am today. Those last few years with her, little did we know what she was teaching me, until it all come home when my son Greg died. Because of her, I am able to walk down this path. Because of her I help others, because that is the greatest healing we can give ourselves. I speak with your grandpa Keith often, I just got a letter this week from him.
Best thing that could have happened to the four who did the killings..they should have been let loose on the court house lawn in Parke County. They would have never made it to the sidewalk. I guarantee nobody would have seen a thing.
Mattie

United States

#42 Sep 28, 2009
I was 14 when this happened. I delivered the local paper in my small town. The headlines of that story scared me to death. To see their faces and to read the senseless deaths. Up until that time I can honestly say I did not believe in monsters. This was a story that changed my world. I always thought...if it happened to them it could happen to me. Then years later...I got married...and my husband's aunt was murdered by her wackjob husband...along with their unborn baby...and he did in his mother and father as well. Basically the lesson a person learns is trust nobody...and sleep with one eye open...by the way...I would love to know where this family is buried at...Betty and her boys...are they all in one local place in the Parke County area? Hollandsburg it is a place that on the rare times that I do drive through it...it just reeks of pure evil...the name...takes me back to when I was 14 years old...there are pitchforks in hell with all four of their names on it...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wallace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2004 Dodge Neon issues Jan 9 NeedHelpWithMyDodge 1
Anyone know Joe Cosby? (Feb '13) Dec '14 A Keedy 3
rehab center Dec '14 wowzer 3
Wreck just west of Crawfordville on I-74 nov29th Dec '14 squeezers 4
Tired of BS? (Apr '14) Nov '14 squeezers 2
snitch Nov '14 paris 1
Man drowns helping fianc e (Aug '07) Jun '10 tina 114
Wallace Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web