New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

Judged:

I was there for 6 months in 2000. That place was hell, a lot of the time, but it was supposed to be. I will not, however, forget the sweat lodges, some of the very caring staff (some of whome I wish to regain contact with), and meeting Rosa Parks. The food was terrible and the intakes were torture, not to mention if you got into trouble, forget about it. I won't go as far as to say that Ft. Rosa changed my life; I spent another 4 years locked up after I left, but I consider it a part of the process that got me to where I am today: sober and in a great university.

Sgt. Kraemer: A memory I have of you is when you wouldnt let us into the barracks because we weren't doint what we were told. It was dead of winter, snow on the ground and we kept bitching about how cold it was. So you took off your coat, shoes and socks and stood barefoot in the snow, and waited till we were quiet. Its funny to look back on it.
Bill Richmond

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

Judged:

This is great, its nice to hear about so many people that were there. I was there for only three weeks in early 2003. It changed my life for the better, I was sent there from the court for punishment. I have many memories from those three weeks. Being a new boot, carrying the med box, PT every morning, hugging trees, losing your can-tine and doing 734 push ups for it, boy I was in shape after I left there. One fond memory was when the two drill sergeants let us play king on the hill, they told us not to tell anyone else or they would get fired for letting us throw each other off the hill, I'm sure it doesn't matter now. No one got hurt, we all had fun, just a bunch of troubled youth blowing off steam. I wish I could go back to that time, to all of the old employees I would like to thank you with my deepest gratitude. That will be a part of my life I will never forget. It would be nice for everyone to go back there and have a camp out, hopefully we can arrange something like that.
Mr smith

Mount Pleasant, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

Judged:

LOL i was number 12 kid in fort rosa parks i learned alot there. shit i still have 1 pair of socks with 12 wrote on them to remind me where i had been but yeah. any juvinile center i had been to was worse that frp it had me in great shape i can tell u that. as for violence? sure i saw them restrain and hold down a kid taht was goin crazy which was a few here and there but none that didnt deserve it anyone readin from first platoon hit me up. and srg. kraemer lets hook up i had the biggest crush on u!
Teresa

Tawas City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2010

Judged:

my brother also went to fort rosa parks around 2001-02. it definitely changed him for the better, although he still doesn't live his life the way he should. but he could've been in a way worse place right now if he didn't go to boot camp. when he first started there, he still had his attitude problem but then after being there for a month, he really liked one of his teachers (i think the name was mr. von brock or something?) and was getting A's and B's on his report card and didn't mind doing his chores and everything. up until he went there, a C was an excellent grade for him because he just didn't care. i give fort rosa parks an A+. they at least tried to help young juvenile's before they get so bad that they end up in prison.
Brian Stratton

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2010

Well my history of the place is a lot difrent then others. Most of you may not know that before it was fort rosa parks it was a ymca youth camp named camp ahara. I atended this camp every summer from 1980-87. Those were some of the best years of my young adulthood. The camp and erea have some awsome memory's for me it changed my life allso though I was only thier like 2 weeks a summer but they were great. I got to actually see it operate as fort rosa parks in 2002 it brought tears to my eyes to just step foot on the camp again it ment so much to me. I Did get a chance to talk with them but I couldn't get a tour that day bummer but i did see a few troops. Most of all I was happy to see it was still changing lives then and yes it bummed me out that ahara was gone.
Mr Lewis

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Judged:

Hi I spent Lots And Lots Of Time At Fort Rosa I was In A Word Of The Most Troubled Youths There I Got Into So Much Trouble I Was Know As Number One Staff Restraint Trainer,I Even Lol Startyed Fourth Platoon Thanxs To Kernal With A Superman Cape Lol & A Stick With A peice Of Toilet Paper But U Know I spent Plenty Of Years There And If It Wasnt For Fort Rosa Parks I Wouldn't Be As Good Of A Father Too My Kids Today I Would Still Be Screwing Up I Thank Fort Rosa For Helping Me Become A Better Person I Started When It Began And I was There All The Way Up Untill It Almost Closed Thaanks To Fort Rosa And All The Staff If Anybody Has Something Different to Retract Or Remembers Me And Wants To Chat My Yahoo Is jimmybones6985@yahoo.com
Casee plath

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

Man, I hated Ft. rosa parks. The reason why is because i was unwilling to change. I wish I would have taken that program seriously because I Went to prison for 7 years at the age of 17. I got my act together and am doing good now, but still. If I would have just listened to the people there, I would have gotten off better. And guess what people.....I Thought I had gotten AWAY from first sarge...but I was wrong. When they closed down Ft. rosa...a few sergeants got jobs at the punk prison were I was at...and guess who was there...agggh...yup....sergean t domingo, lt ware, and two others..I Cant remember their names. I couldn't believe the fear that was struck in me when I heard his voice yell at some kids down the hall. I thought to myself...no way in hell is sargeant sunday here...man...good times. I would LOVE to get in touch with some of my old buddies from Ft. rosa.......vincent bailey...jake ferguson. And I would even like to talk to some of the sergeants..like sgt. ryan and bozos.....from third platoon. I was there in 99 I think....man...look meup on face book people. I would love to get in touch with some people from there man......
Patrick Myers

Mount Vernon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Wow I was number 147 in third platoon and I can't beleive people are actually talkin about this place almost ten years later! As for the allegations.... Things happened... It wasn't a perfect place but I challenge anyone to find somewhere that is. It's awesome to see this if anyone wants to re-hash the old days hit me up on email poopcasta@hotmail.com.
Patrick myers #147
Mr Danbury

Peru, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

I was in 4th with you. Ill send you a email. I have posted on here and it never gets on the FORUM. OR mail me bro stevenlyledanbury@yahoo.com
Mr Lewis wrote:
Hi I spent Lots And Lots Of Time At Fort Rosa I was In A Word Of The Most Troubled Youths There I Got Into So Much Trouble I Was Know As Number One Staff Restraint Trainer,I Even Lol Startyed Fourth Platoon Thanxs To Kernal With A Superman Cape Lol & A Stick With A peice Of Toilet Paper But U Know I spent Plenty Of Years There And If It Wasnt For Fort Rosa Parks I Wouldn't Be As Good Of A Father Too My Kids Today I Would Still Be Screwing Up I Thank Fort Rosa For Helping Me Become A Better Person I Started When It Began And I was There All The Way Up Untill It Almost Closed Thaanks To Fort Rosa And All The Staff If Anybody Has Something Different to Retract Or Remembers Me And Wants To Chat My Yahoo Is jimmybones6985@yahoo.com
Sgt Thompson

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

I was so excited to see this website. I am amazed at all of the entries, there are so many stories to share. I look back on the time I workd at Fort Rosa and smile. It changed my life for the better. I got to meet so many amazing people. It opened my eyes to all of the good and bad in life. Watched a lot of kids deal with gut wrenching issues, it was a lot more than a "BOOTCAMP". The word bootcamp sounds really tough but the truth is all of the stories we shared ,the hours of groups, and the guys that were man enough to really talk about their issues were a lot tougher than anything that a bootcamp could throw at ya. No one seemed to share the realities of what brought everyone to Fort Rosa. I was just telling someone the other day about Sgt Kramer's amazing blankets, I told a friend about standing in snow up to my knees at 5:40 AM yelling "GENTLMEN YOU ARE GOING TO ACCOMPLISH MORE TODAY BY 6AM THAN MOST PEOPLE ACCOMPLISH IN A WHOLE DAY !!!!!" and caught myself chanting MOVE... MOVE.... MOVE to my own child. Fort Rosa left a huge impact on my life too. I have checked on my boys over the years looking on OTIS relieved to not see names pop up, cried a little to see some of my best guys make mistakes that cost them their freedom... Its a darn shame. I send a great big HOO RAH out to my FIRST PLATOON.
reyhl 61

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

sgt.domingo i know you remember me find me on face book brent reyhl
Larry H

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

i been to Fort Rosa and i think it was the best thing that happen to me as a youth for punishment me and a few of the staff bumped heads most of all 1st Srg D. but he was always there to put me in my place its designed to break u down and bild u back up a new young man and lady. me of a few evan went to a indian reservation in Montanna
Larry H

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

HOO RAH to my platoon leader SGT RYAN again HOO RAH
General slikkers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

This is the general does anyone remember me ?????????? Lol
Stacy Noonan

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2011

Are you looking for anyone specific?
johnny18b wrote:
<quoted text>hey robert do you think you could post the phone number or email adress for Ft. Rosa Parks or Lakeview
wilderness academay
Bill Richmond

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

I went back to Ft. Rosa last summer (2010) to see the place. I was out on a big motorcycle ride and made a 150 mile detour just to go. To my utter dismay, it was gone. All of it. All the buildings, the school, the showers, flagpole, gone. The only structure left was a shack next to the lake. It broke my heart. I took a couple pics, I can email them if anyone would like.
jennifer

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2011

I attended fort rosa bk in 2001 and i have to admit that was the best thing that ever happened to me it gave me a out look on life that i dont think i wuld have ever had . How do you contact some of the sgts that worked there cuz ive been trying to contact them for a very long time and would appreciate if someone would be able to help me with that . So why did the fort rosa get shut down cuz when i was there there wasnt violence i thought they were just doing there job it couldnt have been anyware close to the munson indiana facility that was bad
jennifer

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2011

Plz contact me at coveyjenny@yahoo.com jennifer covey # 408
Kurt willett

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2011

Cadet willett # 137 hit me up kurtincali@yahoo.com
Brandy Basner-Williamso n

Midland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2011

I am a graduated of Fort Rosa Parks 2000, no. 131...funny how some things you don’t forget. I have nothing personally bad to say about Fort Rosa, it changed my life for the better. I still cling to journals I kept while in there & a photo album as well as photos I have from my stay. I had an especially hard time making it through the program when my dearest friend while in the program deiced to steal a car and was involved in what ended up being a fatal accident. Because of my close relationship with her I was given some personal artifacts and believe with that tragedy…I was saved. I know of some questionable activities that could have resulted in a shut down, however my personal experience was amazing. I truly believe I owe a lot to Fort Rosa for my salvation!

If anybody wishes to contact me you can reach me at ImBrandy85@aol.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of70
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Walkerville Discussions

Search the Walkerville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Mar 27 rider 109
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Mar 27 rider 5,463
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Mar 27 rider 301
Hovey Feb '14 Desperado 3
Jesus Christ Superstar live in the Old Walkervi... Dec '13 Joe 1
Couple Found Murdered in Newaygo County Home (Dec '12) Nov '13 seriously 2
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) Jun '13 r sherman 91
•••
•••
•••
•••

Walkerville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Walkerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance