Letters on Homestead Heritage: Commun...

Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult?

There are 8879 comments on the Waco Tribune-Herald story from May 20, 2007, titled Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult?. In it, Waco Tribune-Herald reports that:

For seven years, we've shared fence lines with members of Homestead Heritage on three sides of our land.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Waco Tribune-Herald.

Since: Dec 12

Killeen, TX

#5539 Jan 6, 2013
Curious Observer wrote:
32Christian-You have seen first hand how Bahhs mind is so warped and how a simple statementI made about ceating loving memories can be twisted into a convluted thought process-You would do well to ingnore his posts.
I know your right Curious. Little Red Hen already warned me, but his comment on your post was just rude. I couldn't help myself. He is playing games and it makes me mad... I am going to take your advice and TRY to ignore him. Its obvious he is just trying to get a rise out of people.

Killeen, TX

#5540 Jan 6, 2013
After growing in the Lord a bit since leaving the group, its amazing to me that the leaders of HH, who are obviously very intelligent men, are so authoritative in their approach to the people under their charge. I just don't get it. That pattern is just not in the scriptures. The whole interpretation is wrong. Apostles, Pastors, Prophets and teachers are described in the New Testament as given by God to BUILD UP the Body of Christ, not tear down... The Apostle Paul seemed so connected with the Christians of his time... I was in the group for several years and was able to talk to Blair and Howard maybe one time each. They were so disconnected from my lowly state. But when I had problems, the leadership stepped in and kicked me out. Having left our past relationships, my family and myself were all alone. In the years that followed, my marriage and family fell apart. Shame on them.

Killeen, TX

#5541 Jan 6, 2013
I can't help but wonder if any current HH members follow this site... any thoughts on that?..... I don't mean to bother you good people with my questions about members/ex-members, but, does anybody know what happened to those Israelis that Blair was so fond of: Sharfrir (sp?) and his brother Shahar?.. There was another one too, but I can't remember his name.
Your Sister

Minneapolis, MN

#5545 Jan 7, 2013
32Christian wrote:
I can't help but wonder if any current HH members follow this site... any thoughts on that?..... I don't mean to bother you good people with my questions about members/ex-members, but, does anybody know what happened to those Israelis that Blair was so fond of: Sharfrir (sp?) and his brother Shahar?.. There was another one too, but I can't remember his name.
32Christian: Yes, HH does follow the posts.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#5548 Jan 7, 2013
32Christian wrote:
I'm quite sure HH has given someone "the gift" to keep track of this forum, I'll be surprise if no one does. Israelis are still there, Tzafrir is one of the elders. The elders we've known in years past are no longer elders as it's been given over to younger generation (it was shared with me from someone there). I can't imagine what it's like there nowadays.(Another Israeli's name that you're thinking of is Dadi, is that the one you're thinking of? I love these Israelis and I do miss them, too.) A lot of us have questions about how some people we knew were doing, so it helps to know when someone shares with us, because we do love and care for these people still in HH.

Killeen, TX

#5562 Jan 10, 2013
InLovingArms wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm quite sure HH has given someone "the gift" to keep track of this forum, I'll be surprise if no one does. Israelis are still there, Tzafrir is one of the elders. The elders we've known in years past are no longer elders as it's been given over to younger generation (it was shared with me from someone there). I can't imagine what it's like there nowadays.(Another Israeli's name that you're thinking of is Dadi, is that the one you're thinking of? I love these Israelis and I do miss them, too.) A lot of us have questions about how some people we knew were doing, so it helps to know when someone shares with us, because we do love and care for these people still in HH.
Thanks for the reply... Yes, Dadi is the one I was thinking of. Those Israelis were always so passionate (I miss Shahar)... All new elders?? That surprises me. I guess the old guys can now leave it to others to kick Christians out in the world fearful and alone, and be free to sit back on the land and write philosophical Christian books that lay people can hardly understand (makes them look intelligent). Lol! Just kidding, but seriously, I know people who are still there too.... I wonder if you were there when I was???
Little Red Hen

Fredericksburg, TX

#5563 Jan 11, 2013
I don't think *all* the elders are new. Just that some from the younger generation have been added, and some older ones have stepped aside. Which, in my opinion, is a healthy thing for any church to do. At some point the torch has to be passed on.

Just by way of disclosure, 32Christian, I have never been a member or even an official visitor. But I do have long term friends there who are like family to me. I love them very much and I see extensive and real good in their lives and in their walk with the Lord. I greatly admire them and I consider them to be among my most mature Christian friends. They have consistently showed love to me over decades of friendship.

Sometimes ex members get angry with me on this forum due to the fact that I do not share their hatred for HH. Rather, I see much that is very good and that mainstream churches would do well to emulate.

I try not to argue with others on here regarding their personal experiences, but I do tend to want to defend my friends from whom I have received so much love, care, and patience over the years. I just cannot think ill of them because their long term testimony of friendship to me is very tangible and on going.

There are some ex members on this forum who have expressed that I have no real right to post in favor of my friends and their community b/c I have not been a member. But, I feel that I should defend brothers and sisters in the Lord who have never shown me anything but kindness.

And I believe that my experience is just as valid an experience to share. I have never made a pretense of knowing all there is to know about HH. But I do think that my own experience has value as another viewpoint.

I just wanted to be honest with you since you are new to the forum.
Mountainrose

Waco, TX

#5568 Jan 12, 2013
Little Red Hen wrote:
I don't think *all* the elders are new. Just that some from the younger generation have been added, and some older ones have stepped aside. Which, in my opinion, is a healthy thing for any church to do. At some point the torch has to be passed on.
Just by way of disclosure, 32Christian, I have never been a member or even an official visitor. But I do have long term friends there who are like family to me. I love them very much and I see extensive and real good in their lives and in their walk with the Lord. I greatly admire them and I consider them to be among my most mature Christian friends. They have consistently showed love to me over decades of friendship.
Sometimes ex members get angry with me on this forum due to the fact that I do not share their hatred for HH. Rather, I see much that is very good and that mainstream churches would do well to emulate.
I try not to argue with others on here regarding their personal experiences, but I do tend to want to defend my friends from whom I have received so much love, care, and patience over the years. I just cannot think ill of them because their long term testimony of friendship to me is very tangible and on going.
There are some ex members on this forum who have expressed that I have no real right to post in favor of my friends and their community b/c I have not been a member. But, I feel that I should defend brothers and sisters in the Lord who have never shown me anything but kindness.
And I believe that my experience is just as valid an experience to share. I have never made a pretense of knowing all there is to know about HH. But I do think that my own experience has value as another viewpoint.
I just wanted to be honest with you since you are new to the forum.
You and I seem to have more in common than anyone whose posts I have read on here, although you know more specifics about them than I do. First, I need to clarify one thing--it shows me from Temple, TX--don't know why, as I live in China Spring, TX. Our friendships with several people from HH is like yours--a loving Christian relationship with people who live like God intended us to live, caring for their fellow man. We had an experience with a lady that we did not even know and it was a good experience. My husband had gone to put our buggy up in the Walmart parking lot and came back carrying a purse. I told him that I hadn't left my purse in the buggy, to which he replied, "No, but someone did." I started looking for a way to call her, and finally was able to get in touch with her. She was still busy taking her groceries in and hadn't yet realized that her purse was missing..she had several small children and I guess was distracted and just left her purse in the buggy. Once at HEB I left my billfold in buggy--goi it back from HEB, but without the $80 I had in it! Anyway, she asked right where we were and said she'd be right there to get it. There were many things in it that could have cost her e great deal financially had they gotten in the wrong hands. She came, and she was so kind and very appreciative to get it back! She was from HH, and she was a good friend of one of our friends there. Once years ago on Lake Shore Drive we found a billfold on the road, called the young man, who had almost $200 in it, from cashing his first paycheck. To show the differences, he was not from HH, as the lady had been, he said he didn't think he could find our house, so would we bring it to him! My husband said NO, and they found a place about 4 miles from our house where we could meet and give it to him, so we did that. See the difference on outlook on life from these two people? I know I took too much space on the forum, but to me, this life experience told me a lot.
Janice Alvear

Maceió, Brazil

#5569 Jan 12, 2013
Little Red Hen...One thing IF you had been a member...they would no longer be your friends...You may have close friends there...however by your writings you do not know the rest of the story...if you only knew...I am glad you do not know...it is best on your part.

My missionary mom is buried there and I know what she told me but told me in confidence...we parted from there to never see each other again due to a vow she made and felt like she could not break it.

I really think the farm is nice...what they show the public is beyond words...I even enjoyed for the most part their services. I did not like them tearing down other people and churches...but we all have likes and dislikes...

What really turned me off was what my mom told me in private and then 2 other people from the inside told me almost the same thing...scary to me...then I received and still have letters that revealed things deep inside. How much of the contents of the letters are true I cannot say but the person was not bitter...the letters had no bitter tone...just sad and hoping things would change. I do not know if the person that wrote me is in or out...I do have some letters from people that are (were) bitter. However most have got over those feelings and are on with life...

Leaving friendship there deeply hurt me however I never missed a beat serving our precious Lord...I was a missionary before I went there and am a missionary now and plan to die a missionary.. That is my love and my calling.

I do not believe Jesus in the flesh doctrine neither do I believe their 5 fold ministry doctrine. However I was a oneness believer before I know them and am still a oneness believer.

I learned a lot of things there. In fact many good things but my greatest lesson I learned there was NOT to treat people the way they do.

Well...I have said too much....
I lived to tell the truth

Jackson, NJ

#5574 Jan 12, 2013
The amount of deaths that has happened to saints who were young in HH speaks volumes. They love you until you are sick. The HH elders get even more upset after that when you can no longer work.

Read the Holy Scriptures and tell me where do you find Jesus treating anyone so terribly?! I cannot imagine telling a saint to not go to doctors; to use the ‘holistic’ approach, and then watch them suffer.

They have treated members in this manner for decades.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#5575 Jan 12, 2013
InLovingArms wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm quite sure HH has given someone "the gift" to keep track of this forum
They all have internet access via their smartphones so i'm sure 99% of them read this forum.
I lived to tell the truth

Lakewood, NJ

#5578 Jan 13, 2013
There are instances where the HH elders REFUSED to even offer the herbal remedies to those in HH who were suffering.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#5583 Jan 13, 2013
Hungry Texas Bear wrote:
<quoted text>
They all have internet access via their smartphones so i'm sure 99% of them read this forum.
Interesting topic.
From what I gather, smartphones are now banned from Homestead, almost entirely. In fact, I recently read their official stance on cellphones in general, and was thoroughly disgusted by the legalistic avenue they took. But, given comments like your's, I can barely blame them for the drastic measures they have taken.

However, it's still pretty fascinating to study the various viewpoints, especially from outsiders.
On one hand Homestead gets jabbed at for being 'back to the basics' focused, while on the other being jabbed at for 99% of them having smartphones. And then snakes like Mrs Alvear mock them and ill use them for all sorts of trumped up nonsense, while bitter miserable people like ILTTTT cheer her on and add their own special brand of idiocy to the mess, making comments like her blatantly false one above.
Janice Alvear

Recife, Brazil

#5584 Jan 13, 2013
What I said was true...

Location hidden

#5585 Jan 13, 2013
And what I said was true as well...
Now lets cue some creepy music.

(Don't you just love how dramatic the ellipsis can be?)

Location hidden

#5588 Jan 13, 2013
Abbe Faria wrote:
<quoted text>
given comments like your's, I can barely blame them for the drastic measures they have taken.
However, it's still pretty fascinating to study the various viewpoints, especially from outsiders.
On one hand Homestead gets jabbed at for being 'back to the basics' focused
Hopefully they are not making decisions based on outsiders comments.

I am not jabbing them at all. I do eat at their restaurant pretty often and know some of them superficially. Nice people who apparently value being removed from culture debasing technology, with the exception of what they carry in their pockets.

Something not genuine about having a conversation with one of them about how they are not given to technology only to later watch one of them surfing on their Samsung Galaxy III in the corner of the room.

I did not realize they changed their position. Must have been recent like what, last week? Probably takes a while to filter down the rank and file. What is their new position that you dislike so much?

Location hidden

#5589 Jan 13, 2013
Hey Hungry,
Yeah, it was very recent. Not in the last week, but I suspect they are much like any other group, in that it takes time for a policy to trickle down through the ranks and be fully implemented.
I must apologize to you here as well, I just re-read my message from earlier, and realize it came off a little stronger worded than I intended, towards you.
Back to the smartphone deal, yes, there IS a disparity between eschewing culture debasing technology, not having TVs in homes, and carrying an iPhone 5 in your pocket. In reading their several page church policy concerning smartphones, I was struck by how serious they take the constant inroads of technology, and the uncontrolled torrent of filth it often brings with it. And I respect them for their intention and desire to try and bring about some kinds of safeguards and build bulwarks against it. What I intensely disliked was the nature and language they used in placing the restrictions, rules and regulations whereby phone technology will and won't be allowed. Seeing men place rules and restrictions upon others, in general, turns my stomach.
Be it Washington DC, or a church. Bureaucracies and heavy handed rule laden cultures breed disaster, in my opinion.
In short, I could never be a part of a church that dictated what when and where my child has a cellphone or smartphone or watch etc.
However, if a family or group of people decide to place themselves under such a control structure, more power to them!
I dearly love, and have great respect for, the folks at Homestead. I sincerely believe their hearts to be pure and their intent to be Christ followers. And it boils my blood to see folks on here mock them for believing what they believe.
One case in particular is the nut job person who posts here under the moniker "I lived to tell the truth" She recently decided to point her idiotic rants towards a Doctor who is a member of Homestead. Mocking him, and calling into question his very integrity as man, as well as his medical field qualifications; which happen to be more than stellar.(Decades of military service, numerous accolades etc) Problem is, her asenine mode of delivery prevents quality rebuttal.(Wallowing with pigs necessitates, well, wallowing with pigs)

Location hidden

#5590 Jan 13, 2013
Abbe,

No need to apologize, I understand completely.

Seems that if there is going to be that level of "community" there has to be a high level of control. Not saying that as necessarily a bad thing, just a necessity. Seems those hippie communes never lasted because everyone was autonomous and there was no real group identity that everyone bowed to.

I agree with you, I could not live under that sort of structure either, so I also know that that sort of community is closed to someone like me (by my choice) because that kind of community does not exist outside of a high level of control.

I suspect that a place like that attracts people who are hurting and broken badly and want to feel surrounded with love. Those especially broken people end up being the ones that are most likely to flip out, leave and then accuse them of all kinds of atrocities.

Back to the phones thing I'll take your word for it. I'd love to read that document one day. Commendable that they would recognize the contradiction they were living as a community and correct it.

Location hidden

#5591 Jan 13, 2013
Hungry Texas Bear wrote:
I suspect that a place like that attracts people who are hurting and broken badly and want to feel surrounded with love. Those especially broken people end up being the ones that are most likely to flip out, leave and then accuse them of all kinds of atrocitiest.
You hit the nail on the head right there.
Hundreds of messages, on this forum and others like it, can be summed up nicely in that one paragraph.
I love Jesus

Neptune, NJ

#5597 Jan 14, 2013
Abbe,
The manner you spew such hatred towards those who suffered in HH shows how far you truly are from knowing our Lord Jesus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walkertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thomasville Man Charged with Statutory Rape (Feb '10) 13 hr friendoflcb 8
jenny May 21 myown 1
News 4 teenagers arrested in shooting of horses in W... May 19 Doc Wilson 1
Annabelles on Patterson ave (Sep '15) May 16 Ann2hott4yall 11
Real Hookup dating apps in Winston-Salem May 8 Rob 5
News Pritchard to be paroled (Jun '07) May 3 EGP 75
BCN Capital Management: Prospects BEWARE! May 3 Concerned Citizens 1

Walkertown Jobs

Personal Finance

Walkertown Mortgages