Report: DWI suspect was texting while driving

Authorities say a DWI suspect arrested in northern Minnesota was texting while driving. Full Story

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#1 Aug 5, 2008
This gentleman is no gentleman. What are the possible penalties?
Mark

Omaha, NE

#2 Aug 5, 2008
nail him
FACTORAMA MAN

Hudson, WI

#4 Aug 5, 2008
Bruin wrote:
This gentleman is no gentleman. What are the possible penalties?
Well the penalty for texting and driving is $300
Stupid story really, the DWI is the real crime but the system is such a joke it no longer grabs headlines, thus the texting while driving headliner...
Retired Soldier

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Aug 5, 2008
I agree with Factorama Man. The true crime here is DWI. I dont understand why the texting portion of it is the headline.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Aug 5, 2008
Retired Soldier wrote:
I agree with Factorama Man. The true crime here is DWI. I dont understand why the texting portion of it is the headline.
Probably because of the recent law that was passed outlawing texting while driving.
Please Legalize Texting

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Aug 5, 2008
The ban on texting directly discriminates deaf and hard of hearing people from essential communication. The blame should go 100% to speeding and being drunk, not texting.

Please stop making texting the scapegoat and legalize it and return the focus on speeding and drunk drivers.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Aug 5, 2008
Please Legalize Texting wrote:
The ban on texting directly discriminates deaf and hard of hearing people from essential communication. The blame should go 100% to speeding and being drunk, not texting.
Please stop making texting the scapegoat and legalize it and return the focus on speeding and drunk drivers.
You really think it's safe to text while driving? And if a deaf person needs to text why can't they pull over to the side of the road?
Stupider

Clinton, WI

#11 Aug 5, 2008
Retired Soldier wrote:
What I get out of this story is the idea that the guy wasn't just so stupid as to drive drunk. Or so stupid he was texting as he did. THis guy is one of those special idiots who TOLD police he was texting as an excuse to get out of the DUI.

It reminds me of those stories where drug dealers get robbed and then call the cops.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Aug 5, 2008
Stupider wrote:
<quoted text>
What I get out of this story is the idea that the guy wasn't just so stupid as to drive drunk. Or so stupid he was texting as he did. THis guy is one of those special idiots who TOLD police he was texting as an excuse to get out of the DUI.
It reminds me of those stories where drug dealers get robbed and then call the cops.
Well if so then the guy must have been chagrined when he discovered that texting while driving is now also illegal.
FUDGERAMA MAN

Hudson, WI

#14 Aug 5, 2008
Well let's look at some facts. MOST people do not text without looking at the keys (buttons)on their cell phone, studies have proven talking on a cell phone and driving is nearly the same as drinking and driving when it comes to skills involving anything but driving straight ahead i.e. turning, avoiding obstacles, emergency stops etc are all drastically effected by use of a cell phone, and now add looking at the keys while texting. Unfortunately the deaf and hard of hearing may be negatively effected by this new law, but many states have banned the use of cell phone all together while driving. In my opinion that is the best solution as I have been hit by a person who was talking on a cell phone while driving, as a matter of fact after the collision the person remained on the cell phone until the police arrived. Until the day comes that hand held cell phones are banned, the fact texting is illegal while driving is a very minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of life, and this includes deaf and hard of hearing persons. If it is completely necessary to text pull over and do so.
You seem to think this is discrimination? Like it is a violation of a deaf or hard of hearing person's rights. However you must remember in this country we do not even have the right to drive an automobile, it is considered a privilege.
Jilly

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Aug 5, 2008
ESSENTIAL COMMUNICATION????? How did they manage before texting was even available? At the risk of being told I'm un-compassionate, if a deaf person can't drive without texting, perhaps they shouldn't be on the road.
concerned citizen

Gaithersburg, MD

#16 Aug 5, 2008
I'm now dumber from reading your post. Seriously. Texting while driving is far more dangerous than drinking and driving. One hand on the wheel and eyes off the road for expended periods of time, definately a good law to have for our safety.
Really BHL

Novato, CA

#17 Aug 5, 2008
Why do they need to do it while driving? It's not safe for them, or anyone else. Can't they pull over?
Also, I wish they'd ban cell phone use without a headset while driving. Every moron that has almost slammed into me, or cut me off, or driven 20 mph under the limit in the last 10 years or so has had a cell phone stuck to their head. CA banned it, why can't we?
Really BHL

Novato, CA

#18 Aug 5, 2008
And seriously, you can't really get out a DUI. The success rate isn't so great, why try? Some people just don't get it.

I work with a woman that has had 2 DUIs.She spent 30 days in the work house, and goes to prison is she get another one. She has to drive a crap car because she can't afford insurance on a vehicle with a loan. Not to mention the fact that she almost lost her job, until they found her a position that didn't involve any type of driving, or insurance.

And she STILL doesn't always take a cab after drinking. You can get a DUI for literally two beers or drinks, but she's willing to risk it.

Yeah MN, state of drunks.
jim moore

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Aug 5, 2008
Well they passed a law to stop these idiots, lets see them enforce it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Domestic assault, nothing done Sep 4 godloveitletitin 1
The Apocalypse is Occurring (Sep '09) Sep 1 Sylvia 14
Debate: Marijuana - Cass Lake, MN (Jan '11) Aug 30 Sylvia 11
Murder at Leech Lake in the 1970s (Oct '12) Aug 29 thinchliff 71
Cass County Judge divorce Aug '14 Cheryl 2
Missing 15 yr old girl near Pennington MN ! Aug '14 psinn 1
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 848
•••
•••
Walker Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Walker Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Walker People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE