DA reduces murder charge in Walker sl...

DA reduces murder charge in Walker slaying

There are 7 comments on the KSLA-TV Shreveport story from Aug 21, 2007, titled DA reduces murder charge in Walker slaying. In it, KSLA-TV Shreveport reports that:

Livingston Parish prosecutors have agreed to lower the first-degree murder charge against a man accused of shooting and repeatedly stabbing his estranged wife to death.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSLA-TV Shreveport.

THE--DOT--RAT

Gracewood, GA

#1 Aug 21, 2007
Pell was originally charged with first-degree murder because his estranged wife had gotten a protective order against him days before the attack.

A PIECE OF PAPER OFFERS LITTLE PROTECTION IF YOUR MATE IS BENT ON KILLING YOU.
A GOOD 9MM OR a.22 offers a lot more.

“give me a break”

Since: Jul 07

toronto canada

#2 Aug 21, 2007
THE--DOT--RAT wrote:
Pell was originally charged with first-degree murder because his estranged wife had gotten a protective order against him days before the attack.
A PIECE OF PAPER OFFERS LITTLE PROTECTION IF YOUR MATE IS BENT ON KILLING YOU.
A GOOD 9MM OR a.22 offers a lot more.
i heard it started off as a food fight gone nasty?
LLM

Gonzales, LA

#3 Aug 22, 2007
This woman was murdered down the street from my home. She had been brave enough to leave an abusive relationship and seek police assistance, which proved to be none at all. The man shot her but the gun jammed so he got a knife to finish the job. He did this in front of horrified school children and Popeye's employees and ran out the back. At the very least, he should never see the light of day again.

“give me a break”

toronto canada

#4 Aug 23, 2007
LLM wrote:
This woman was murdered down the street from my home. She had been brave enough to leave an abusive relationship and seek police assistance, which proved to be none at all. The man shot her but the gun jammed so he got a knife to finish the job. He did this in front of horrified school children and Popeye's employees and ran out the back. At the very least, he should never see the light of day again.
WAS THERE A FOOD FIGHT FIRST?
CBart95

Hawaiian Gardens, CA

#5 Aug 23, 2007
"A GOOD 9MM OR a.22 offers a lot more."

Yes. So does a Howitzer cannon. But we all know these things. This is your remedy to the poor victims situation? Does it bring her back to life? Or any good result? Do you seriously think that you have contributed any thing worthwhile here?
Those prosecutors must have fairly sound reasons for coming to their recomendations or they would not have done it. Do you seriously think you know more than these qualified experts in administering justice?
CRMon

AOL

#6 Aug 24, 2007
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/9274911.html
as the original story on 2 the advocate continues.......

......Under state law, a protective order against an accused killer can be considered one of the required elements for a first-degree murder charge, Herbert and Bensabat said after the court hearing.

The law doesn’t allow jurors to consider a protective order as an aggravating circumstance for the death penalty in the sentencing phase of a capital case, Herbert and Bensabat said.

Dr. Raphael Salcedo determined after an IQ test and examining Pell’s history that he is “mildly mentally retarded,” a July 17 letter shows.

Salcedo also wrote Pell may have a competency issue in standing trial because he “didn’t seem to fully appreciate the seriousness of the charge against him.”

==========
It would be nice if it was explained in a way the public can understand, rather than the short version being posted on the net.
Because of the mitigating circumstances that should be presented at a sentencing phase of a death penalty trial, the DA cannot obtain a death penalty. The defense did thier homework first on this case. The side for Life won.
But does this mean he pleads guilty to 2nd or does he go to trial despite competency issue to stand trial?

“give me a break”

toronto canada

#7 Aug 24, 2007
CRMon wrote:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/ne ws/9274911.html
as the original story on 2 the advocate continues.......
......Under state law, a protective order against an accused killer can be considered one of the required elements for a first-degree murder charge, Herbert and Bensabat said after the court hearing.
The law doesn’t allow jurors to consider a protective order as an aggravating circumstance for the death penalty in the sentencing phase of a capital case, Herbert and Bensabat said.
Dr. Raphael Salcedo determined after an IQ test and examining Pell’s history that he is “mildly mentally retarded,” a July 17 letter shows.
Salcedo also wrote Pell may have a competency issue in standing trial because he “didn’t seem to fully appreciate the seriousness of the charge against him.”
==========
It would be nice if it was explained in a way the public can understand, rather than the short version being posted on the net.
Because of the mitigating circumstances that should be presented at a sentencing phase of a death penalty trial, the DA cannot obtain a death penalty. The defense did thier homework first on this case. The side for Life won.
But does this mean he pleads guilty to 2nd or does he go to trial despite competency issue to stand trial?
it was a food fight till the death !now theres a tv show for the american masses!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angry Black Students in Walker High School ? May 28 Abby132 3
News Jury convicts Bordelon of murdering girl (Jul '06) May '17 Faithdwnsouth 192
News 16-year-old drowns in Tickfaw River (Jun '09) May '17 Sandy Wallace 2
News Teenager drowns in Tickfaw river (Oct '09) May '17 Sandy Wallace 5
Animal Abuse Apr '17 Anon 1
News They paid premiums, so why must they fight for ... Feb '17 Tea Bag Residue C... 2
News after a transgender woman (Sep '15) Jan '17 Christopher K 2

Walker Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Walker Mortgages