Smoking Ban Debate Postponed In S.C. ...

Smoking Ban Debate Postponed In S.C. House

There are 117 comments on the WJBF-TV Augusta story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Smoking Ban Debate Postponed In S.C. House. In it, WJBF-TV Augusta reports that:

A House committee has postponed voting on a statewide smoking ban. The House Judiciary Committee wants to see if the South Carolina Supreme Court upholds smoking bans in roughly a dozen cities and counties ... via WJBF-TV Augusta

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJBF-TV Augusta.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
I see stupid people

AOL

#109 Jan 21, 2008
fun lovin life wrote:
<quoted text>
Better to die early than to live in a country that does not protect EVERYONE. These bans have promoted discrimination and bigotry, and unconstitutionally denied the rights of the property owner. And if you feel that strongly about babies,,,are you pro-choice, or do you protect the unborn.?
The business owner here did what he thought was okay with his property and 25 people died
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet_chicken_p...
Of course, everyone working there made the choice to work there, and so it was not the owner's fault that they died. They should have been able to see that he ran a substandard operation and found a new job if they did not like it.

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#110 Jan 21, 2008
I see stupid people wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I am not a zealot. I do not blow up abortion clinics. In fact, I do not blow anything up. I do give money to the ACS. I do write my politicans and let them know where I stand on smoking issues. I am not a single issue voter, so a politician who votes against a smoking ban might get my vote in the next election depending upon their votes on all of the issues that I am concerned about. Like most people, I have some liberal viewpoints and I have some conservative viewpoints. I do not like to see the dangers of smoking diminished. I will provide information to back up the positions that I express when I post and will rebut posts in a manner which leaves no guessing as to where my position is. Too many people see smoking as an issue that only involves self. Unfortunately, it involves more than self. It involves everybody around you and that includes babies. It also includes families and friends who are left behind to mourn when a smoker dies early.
I agree with all of your approaches to making the system work for you. Although I take the opposite side, I do as you and write to my legislators also. I feel strongly about the dangers of smoking bans...in fact I feel as strongly about that as you do about the evils of smoking. I too choose a candidate that most represents what I feel is right and can accept some things that do not entirely fit my position. I would never refuse to vote for someone who is highly qualified and shows great leadership skills just because he/she was against smoking. I care for the big picture rather than small issues and I vote accordingly. That is why I am against smoking bans. For me, the big picture is entirely frightening, and the small issue of simply allowing choices is insignificant.
I see stupid people

AOL

#111 Jan 21, 2008
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with all of your approaches to making the system work for you. Although I take the opposite side, I do as you and write to my legislators also. I feel strongly about the dangers of smoking bans...in fact I feel as strongly about that as you do about the evils of smoking. I too choose a candidate that most represents what I feel is right and can accept some things that do not entirely fit my position. I would never refuse to vote for someone who is highly qualified and shows great leadership skills just because he/she was against smoking. I care for the big picture rather than small issues and I vote accordingly. That is why I am against smoking bans. For me, the big picture is entirely frightening, and the small issue of simply allowing choices is insignificant.
That is what makes the system work.

“OWNERS CHOICE = PATRONS CHOICE”

Since: Jun 07

United States

#112 Jan 21, 2008
<quoted text>
That is what makes the system work.
Too bad it isn't working. And neither are the employees of the closed bars and restaurants that have fallen to your selfish greed.

United States

#113 Jan 21, 2008
<quoted text>
The business owner here did what he thought was okay with his property and 25 people died
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet_chicken_p...
Of course, everyone working there made the choice to work there, and so it was not the owner's fault that they died. They should have been able to see that he ran a substandard operation and found a new job if they did not like it.
Ok, I give einstein.........what the hell does that have to do with anything..........anything at all ?
I see stupid people

AOL

#114 Jan 21, 2008
fun lovin life wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad it isn't working. And neither are the employees of the closed bars and restaurants that have fallen to your selfish greed.
No one is dying because you have to have a smoke during a meal.

BTW, the system I was referring to is the political system.
I see stupid people

AOL

#115 Jan 21, 2008
fun lovin life wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, I give einstein.........what the hell does that have to do with anything..........anything at all ?
Owner's choice was to run an unsafe operation.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#116 Jan 21, 2008
<quoted text>
If you do not place your child in a child safety seat and you are hit by a drunk driver who runs a red light and your child is ejected from the car and killed you bear partial responsibility for the child's death.
If and when they find a definitive cause for SIDS and are able to treat it, then smoking will no longer be an issue. Smoking does exacerbate whatever is causing SIDS, much like letting the baby sleep in the wrong position or sleeping with the baby in your bed. Smoking while pregnant results in low birth weight babies, higher fetal mortality and higher infant mortality as well as othe significant problems. Smoking around a baby after a birth results in higher infant mortality, not only from SIDS but from other causes as well.
We now know lots more than we did years ago about many things that can harm the fetus or the infant. That means that we need to change the way we do things. Doctors no longer prescribe thalidomide to mothers because of the birth defects it causes. Doctors advise mothers not to drink during pregnancy because of the problems that it causes to the fetus. Mothers today need to remember virtually everything that goes into their blood also passes to the fetus and can cause significant problems in the development of the fetus. That is where smoking comes in. There are 4000 chemicals in cigarette smoke and virtually of of those are passed on to the fetus. You may be talking about a minute amount of any particular chemical, but what about when the fetus is just a day or so old and is only comprised of a few cells. It does not take very much to damage the fetus at that point. Also remember that thalidomide only damaged the fetus within a very short window of approximately 3 days. Take the drug before that and there was no problem. Take the drug after that and there was no problem. Rubella mostly affects the fetus during the first trimester.
With what we know today, we can say with surety that if you smoke while pregnant you are playing russian roulette with your babies life. Mothers and mothers to be need to know this and it does not need to be sugarcoated. Sugarcoating it will dilute the message for some people and they will not get it.
SMOKING CAUSES DEAD BABIES.
Can you name one of these dead babies that smoking killed?

United States

#117 Jan 22, 2008
<quoted text>
No one is dying because you have to have a smoke during a meal.
BTW, the system I was referring to is the political system.
I do not smoke during a meal, and I do not smoke in restaurants because of the children that might be present...duh.

and again, what I said before about the system.....it isn't working, and neither are the employees that lost their jobs and businesses to these illegal bans........thank you for all your help in putting America on the endangered list.

United States

#118 Jan 22, 2008
<quoted text>
Owner's choice was to run an unsafe operation.
No matter how you twist it,,,,your statement has nothing to do with smoking.
I see stupid people

AOL

#119 Jan 22, 2008
fun lovin life wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how you twist it,,,,your statement has nothing to do with smoking.
But, it has EVERYTHING to do with the concept of owners rights.

United States

#120 Jan 23, 2008
<quoted text>
But, it has EVERYTHING to do with the concept of owners rights.
Oh, and what do you know of owners rights, other than taking them away illegally...... Hypocrite.
Babs

Charleston, SC

#121 Mar 5, 2008
Sheri wrote:
South Carolina and the South in general once again prove that they will not be bogarted. They will stand up to freedom rather than the demands SmokeFree. Perhaps the South will rise again.
Yes, it is true -- South Carolina is STILL in the dark ages where health and many things are concerned. Freedom is fine. It is great to live in a country where one may voice an opinion and stand up to shout from the roof tops that SC has one of the highest esophageal cancer rates in the nation. When I inquired as to why, I was told by medical professionals and other 'powers' that SC is a tobacco state and second hand smoke is the contributor.

SO, yes, let us not get with the program and do what we should to continue the smoking ban. I'm proud that Charleston chose to go smoke free. IT was a good marketing tool, wasn't it!

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#122 Mar 5, 2008
Babs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is true -- South Carolina is STILL in the dark ages where health and many things are concerned. Freedom is fine. It is great to live in a country where one may voice an opinion and stand up to shout from the roof tops that SC has one of the highest esophageal cancer rates in the nation. When I inquired as to why, I was told by medical professionals and other 'powers' that SC is a tobacco state and second hand smoke is the contributor.
SO, yes, let us not get with the program and do what we should to continue the smoking ban. I'm proud that Charleston chose to go smoke free. IT was a good marketing tool, wasn't it!
My guess is that those powers that told you that were from SmokeFree. SC actually has the opportunity to prove that private business can make their places either smoking or not smoking. I have family members living in Aiken. There, the county where most of the chain restaurants are is smoke free. The town and its restaurants does not have a ban, but it does have a number of non smoking places. It gives everyone places to go, and no one I know complains.

United States

#123 Mar 7, 2008
That is the way it should be... Equal equlity..
frank

Charlestown, MA

#124 Mar 10, 2008
<quoted text>
Additionally, should you venture outside and travel overseas on an airplane that does not allow smoking, you will not meet me in:
Albania, Belgium, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico,
Romania, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Uganda, United Kingdom, and Uruguay.
Basically that includes most of western Europe.
You must live a very deprived life with the smoking bans.
Just an FYI, you should try reading the news, most of the juristictions you've listed, more than half actually, have exemptions written in to there smoke free laws. Smoking is still allowed in bars and even some resaurants in most juristictions. Just thought I'd point that out to you.
JonHancock

Walnut, IA

#125 Mar 18, 2008
Smoking Rules!! Toddlers should pick up smoking! The taste is great and it gets you out of this hell whole sooner!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walhalla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Hair Expressions Styling Salon (Apr '15) 5 hr Shinna 3
News Video of child sex assault found in Upstate lea... 5 hr Dahrala 2
News Man arrested for trying to cash stolen lottery ... 5 hr Evert 2
News Striped bass, hybrid bass stocked by DNR in Lak... Fri Ricky 2
News Nason Company expanding in Walhalla, creating n... Jun 24 Bobby 1
News Deputies: 2nd man arrested after trying to cash... Jun 22 Rihual 1
News Oconee Co. Sheriff's Office holds 2 medicine ta... May '16 Stacey HARRIS 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Walhalla Mortgages