Smoking Ban Debate Postponed In S.C. ...

Smoking Ban Debate Postponed In S.C. House

There are 117 comments on the WJBF-TV Augusta story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Smoking Ban Debate Postponed In S.C. House. In it, WJBF-TV Augusta reports that:

A House committee has postponed voting on a statewide smoking ban. The House Judiciary Committee wants to see if the South Carolina Supreme Court upholds smoking bans in roughly a dozen cities and counties ... via WJBF-TV Augusta

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJBF-TV Augusta.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 17, 2008
South Carolina and the South in general once again prove that they will not be bogarted. They will stand up to freedom rather than the demands SmokeFree. Perhaps the South will rise again.
Kent

Cumberland, MD

#2 Jan 17, 2008
Sheri wrote:
South Carolina and the South in general once again prove that they will not be bogarted. They will stand up to freedom rather than the demands SmokeFree. Perhaps the South will rise again.
Sho 'nuff Sheri!

“OWNERS CHOICE = PATRONS CHOICE”

Since: Jun 07

United States

#3 Jan 17, 2008
Kent wrote:
<quoted text>
Sho 'nuff Sheri!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PL-1T9g5-vUXX
Love Charlie Daniels..........thanks..

Kent, check this out, You might have seen it before. Things may be changing faster than we thought.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#4 Jan 17, 2008
fun lovin life wrote:
<quoted text>
Love Charlie Daniels..........thanks..
Kent, check this out, You might have seen it before. Things may be changing faster than we thought.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch...
It takes a village to defeat its idiot.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#6 Jan 18, 2008
Good news may be coming up in Virginia...

An inside source within the Virginia General Assembly reported to the Right To Smoke Blog today that the bill Governor Kaine submitted to the Virginia General Assembly to ban smoking in Restaurants as well as the other smoking ban bills have very little chance of passing!

All eleven of the bills are in committee. The House Bills (HB) have been sent to the House General Laws Committee under the ABC/Gaming Sub-Committee. This sub-committee is comprised of 4 Republicans, 1 Independent, and 1 Democrat. The members are : Chairman Thomas D. Gear (R), David B. Albo (R), Thomas C. Wright, Jr.(R), John A. Cosgrove (R), Watkins M. Abbitt, Jr.(I), and Dan C. Bowling (D).

The Senate Bills (SB) have been sent to the Senate Committee On Education And Health. This city is comprised of 5 Republicans and 10 Democrats. The members are : Chairman R. Edward Houck (D), Richard L. Saslaw (D), L. Louise Lucas (D), Janey D. Howell (D), Frederick M. Qualye (R), Stephen H. Martin (R), Stephen D. Newman (R), John S. Edwards (D), Frank M. Ruff, Jr.(R), Mary Margaret Whipple (D), Harry B. Blevins (R), Mamie E. Locke (D), George L. Barker (D), Ralph S. Northam (D), and John C. Miller (D).

The Virginia Delegate who wrote to the Right To Smoke Blog regarding the Smoking Ban bill submitted by Governor Kaine said that “while he expects the bill to pass the Senate he does not expect the bill to pass the House.”

When asked,“...do you think the Newport News request to pass their own ban will also fail?” the reply was “...it appears doubtful that any smoking ban
bills will pass the House.”

This is great news for freedom so far. It is possible that the bills will simply be defeated in the House Committee, which is heavily Republican. The fight started by Right To Smoke Blog to stop the smoking bans and protect freedom and liberty in Virginia may very well be working!

Hurry up and call or write to your Virginia Delegates and Senators to let them know that these bills should be DEFEATED in committee. There should never be a vote on freedom or constitutionally protected private property rights.

Right To Smoke Blog
http://web.mac.com/jason.m.myers
I see stupid people

AOL

#7 Jan 18, 2008
All they are doing is waiting to see what the SC Supreme Court will do. If the Supreme Court downs the local smoking bans, then a state ban is almost assured. By the way, the state Senate passed legislation last year banning smoking in cars with kids. It would seem that one of your last bastions of smoking is bowing to the pressure being brought by non smokers like me.

Every day there are fewer places that you can smoke. You should read the news more often to see what is really going on instead of looking at the world through a smoky haze that distorts reality.
Linda

United States

#8 Jan 18, 2008
I see stupid people wrote:
All they are doing is waiting to see what the SC Supreme Court will do. If the Supreme Court downs the local smoking bans, then a state ban is almost assured. By the way, the state Senate passed legislation last year banning smoking in cars with kids. It would seem that one of your last bastions of smoking is bowing to the pressure being brought by non smokers like me.
Every day there are fewer places that you can smoke. You should read the news more often to see what is really going on instead of looking at the world through a smoky haze that distorts reality.
LOL, you will be down be fore I would ever bow down to low life scum like you, you sure would not like it
I see stupid people

AOL

#9 Jan 18, 2008
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, you will be down be fore I would ever bow down to low life scum like you, you sure would not like it
You do not have to bow down to me. Just not smoke around me in certain jurisdictions. Those jusrisdictions are becoming more and more plentiful as time goes on.

By the way, since you have already stated you do not go out where the bans are in force, it means that we are less and less likely to encounter. Illinois, for example, has a ban. So does TN and CO. So do AR, NY and CA. Matter of fact, so does OH. DC also has a ban. GA bans smoking in restaurants. ID has a ban. So do LA, ME, MD (all waivers expire in 3 years in MD), MA, MN, MT, NV, NM, NJ, ND, OR, WA, WV.

IA, MI, WI, SC, NC, KA, PA, VA are all poised to have smoking bans this year.

So, like I said, it is highly unlikely that we will have to meet. In any case, I would not want you to bow down to me, although I appreciate the gesture of offering to.
I see stupid people

AOL

#10 Jan 18, 2008
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Additionally, should you venture outside and travel overseas on an airplane that does not allow smoking, you will not meet me in:
Albania, Belgium, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Uganda, United Kingdom, and Uruguay.

Basically that includes most of western Europe.

You must live a very deprived life with the smoking bans.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 18, 2008
<quoted text>
Additionally, should you venture outside and travel overseas on an airplane that does not allow smoking, you will not meet me in:
Albania, Belgium, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Uganda, United Kingdom, and Uruguay.
I don't know about Linda, but I think I will just stay in Ohio and support the bars that are allowing smoking inside despite the ban. Take care.
I see stupid people

AOL

#12 Jan 18, 2008
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about Linda, but I think I will just stay in Ohio and support the bars that are allowing smoking inside despite the ban. Take care.
Those bars will soon be the subject of massive fines. You will no longer have a place to smoke.
Kent

Cumberland, MD

#13 Jan 18, 2008
I see stupid people is still living in a house of mirrors on Fantasy Island!

Location hidden

#14 Jan 18, 2008
<quoted text>
Those bars will soon be the subject of massive fines. You will no longer have a place to smoke.
Massive fines, you say...maybe. Until then, they can continue taking fine donations and making money rather than simply going bankrupt. Why didn't the smoking ban group come up with a way to enforce the bans? Don't they have some cash to pay the health departments to hire some people?
http://www.dailystandard.com/archive/story_si...
Linda

United States

#15 Jan 18, 2008
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right Sheri. I can get in my car, 5 minutes in either direction, walk in lit up and use real ashtray. I still love to spend money in KY though
Linda

United States

#16 Jan 18, 2008
<quoted text>
Shucks, I like my feet on the ground smoking in Ohio, Ky, and Indiana if I choose to go there also...
Linda

United States

#17 Jan 18, 2008
Stupid antis thinks there is a smoking ban that works LMFo
Linda

United States

#18 Jan 18, 2008
<quoted text>
You do not have to bow down to me. Just not smoke around me in certain jurisdictions. Those jusrisdictions are becoming more and more plentiful as time goes on.
By the way, since you have already stated you do not go out where the bans are in force, it means that we are less and less likely to encounter. Illinois, for example, has a ban. So does TN and CO. So do AR, NY and CA. Matter of fact, so does OH. DC also has a ban. GA bans smoking in restaurants. ID has a ban. So do LA, ME, MD (all waivers expire in 3 years in MD), MA, MN, MT, NV, NM, NJ, ND, OR, WA, WV.
IA, MI, WI, SC, NC, KA, PA, VA are all poised to have smoking bans this year.
So, like I said, it is highly unlikely that we will have to meet. In any case, I would not want you to bow down to me, although I appreciate the gesture of offering to.
Those places are smoking. I don't go anywhere they do not allow smoking...big difference. Oh, you mean states LOLOLOLOL

Location hidden

#19 Jan 18, 2008
So concerned about smoke free bars and now that you have them where are you on a Friday night? Sitting at home in front of your computer like a little dweeb. Before you accuse me of the same thing, understand that I am in a different part of the world right now and it's not night time.
I see stupid people

AOL

#20 Jan 19, 2008
Right To Smoke wrote:
<quoted text>
So concerned about smoke free bars and now that you have them where are you on a Friday night? Sitting at home in front of your computer like a little dweeb. Before you accuse me of the same thing, understand that I am in a different part of the world right now and it's not night time.
Right To Smoke wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you have addressed me here and elsewhere, I will cut and paste my response to essentially the same attack you made on me elsewhere:

I do not drink. I do not like bars. I do not have to patronize any of them.

I am part of a much larger group of people. We are the non smokers. For years we have had to put up with second hand smoke wherever we went. We sat in non smoking sections in a table that was right next to the smoking section. We went into places where the entire location was smoking. We went into bars where you could barely see for the smoke.

The smokers did not take our concerns seriously. They thought that an invisible wall kept the smoke in their section. They did not understand why non smokers did not want to smell of smoke after an evening out. They did not undertsnad the health concerns of the non smoker. They wanted to maintain the status quo.

The non smokers like me learned that there is strength in numbers. We decided that we did not want to breathe second hand smoke any more. Legislation was the answer.

We support each other in campaigns across te country. We write to our lawmakers and tell them that we want the air to be healthier. The lawmakers are listening to us.

You seem to think that we owe the bar owners a living. Far from it. It is a difficult business to succeed in. The bar owner needs to adapt to the new conditions or go out of business.

I do not hear you crying for the gas station owners who will lose money as cars become even more fuel efficient than they are now. People will buy less gas. They will stop at gas stattions less often and buy fewer sodas and everything else there. Some owners will go out of business as a direct result of government mandates and interventions.

Do not be so high and mighty cying crocodile tears for the bars that go out of business. You yourself are endorsing boycotts that will hurt the individual business owners who had no choice in the matter, right down to the ones who are having to charge higher taxes. The boycott is your right. A natural result of a boycott is the loss of businesses and employment. But if you are going to boycott, be a man and take responsibility for your actions and say "I did it." instead of hiding like a lost little girl and hoping that someone else will be blamed for your actions.

Location hidden

#21 Jan 19, 2008
<quoted text>
Right To Smoke wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you have addressed me here and elsewhere, I will cut and paste my response to essentially the same attack you made on me elsewhere:
I do not drink. I do not like bars. I do not have to patronize any of them.
I am part of a much larger group of people. We are the non smokers. For years we have had to put up with second hand smoke wherever we went. We sat in non smoking sections in a table that was right next to the smoking section. We went into places where the entire location was smoking. We went into bars where you could barely see for the smoke.
The smokers did not take our concerns seriously. They thought that an invisible wall kept the smoke in their section. They did not understand why non smokers did not want to smell of smoke after an evening out. They did not undertsnad the health concerns of the non smoker. They wanted to maintain the status quo.
The non smokers like me learned that there is strength in numbers. We decided that we did not want to breathe second hand smoke any more. Legislation was the answer.
We support each other in campaigns across te country. We write to our lawmakers and tell them that we want the air to be healthier. The lawmakers are listening to us.
You seem to think that we owe the bar owners a living. Far from it. It is a difficult business to succeed in. The bar owner needs to adapt to the new conditions or go out of business.
I do not hear you crying for the gas station owners who will lose money as cars become even more fuel efficient than they are now. People will buy less gas. They will stop at gas stattions less often and buy fewer sodas and everything else there. Some owners will go out of business as a direct result of government mandates and interventions.
Do not be so high and mighty cying crocodile tears for the bars that go out of business. You yourself are endorsing boycotts that will hurt the individual business owners who had no choice in the matter, right down to the ones who are having to charge higher taxes. The boycott is your right. A natural result of a boycott is the loss of businesses and employment. But if you are going to boycott, be a man and take responsibility for your actions and say "I did it." instead of hiding like a lost little girl and hoping that someone else will be blamed for your actions.
Two things :

If you don't care about bars, leave them alone.

I only buy gas guzzlers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walhalla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mountain Rest Music Thread Aug '17 Musikologist 1
I'm looking for a good Pawn Shop Aug '17 Cadillac swamped 2
News 11-year-old rescued from Lake Hartwell dies (May '07) Jul '17 Ultima50 27
Looking for Joyce Davis Jul '17 isaac 1
Clemson title (Jan '17) Apr '17 Nobama 5
Relocating to Salem (Mar '07) Mar '17 Nick 2
Ladyboy at drive through Hardee's seneca (Oct '16) Mar '17 Tony 9

Walhalla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance