Drive By Shooting in Bayshore! $1,00...

Drive By Shooting in Bayshore! $1,000 REWARD.

Posted in the Waldport Forum

Ross Smith

Corvallis, OR

#1 Aug 25, 2007
On Friday, August 24, at approximately 5:45 pm, a high-powered “BB” gun was fired at the front bedroom window of a private home on Admiralty Circle, shattering the glass. Neighbors report seeing a large white truck fleeing the scene. The occupant of the house was sitting a few feet inside the room, in the line of fire, but was not injured as the BB did not penetrate the second layer of glass in a double-paned window. If you have information about this incident, please notify the Sheriff department. The homeowner is offering a reward of $1,000.00 for the information that results in the arrest and conviction of the criminal(s).
Anne

Corvallis, OR

#2 Aug 25, 2007
SHOOTING in Bayshore? I live here! We have pranks, but this is serious. The area is becoming a trouble spot, the Howard Johnson's hotel has a sleazy bar and people are making noise and speeding through a family neighborhood at night. The campground and highway above has all sorts of strangers that wander through here, leaving trash, beer bottles, etc. The police need to get in here more or the Bayshore Community should hire security patrols.

Since: Aug 07

Eugene, Oregon

#3 Aug 27, 2007
Let's hope this is a one time thing. We surely don't need actions like this in Waldport, maybe the citizens patrol should include Bayshore if it doesn't already.
Sue C

Corvallis, OR

#4 Aug 29, 2007
I've never seen the Citizen's Patrol in Bayshore, maybe because we are not in the city limits? But we certainly do need it. Every weekend now there are people partying in the areas where there are vacant lots, streets are strewn with broken gin and beer bottles, and occasionally I have seen worse things that that. Teenagers come down from the highway or KOA and smoke and throw the butts on the ground, and here we have no fire hydrants hooked up due to the stupidity of the water district. And not just kids, adults also shoot off fireworks (still in AUgust!) It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Alfred

Lebanon, OR

#5 Aug 29, 2007
If the occupant was sitting in front of the window, how come s/he didn't see who shot instead of depending on 'neighbors' to report a white truck?
There are often kids running around the woods shooting and bird. When the police have been called they say it is not illigal to shoot guns on the Bayshore so they suggest calling animal control. What are the chances a stray BB from one of the kids hit the window at a time other than the occupant being home and s/he just noticed it after the fact?
Stands to reason if someone drove by your house and took a shot at it while you were standing in the window, you would have noticed the vehicle and could say yourself what it was.

Since: Aug 07

Eugene, Oregon

#6 Sep 4, 2007
Alfred wrote:
If the occupant was sitting in front of the window, how come s/he didn't see who shot instead of depending on 'neighbors' to report a white truck?
There are often kids running around the woods shooting and bird. When the police have been called they say it is not illigal to shoot guns on the Bayshore so they suggest calling animal control. What are the chances a stray BB from one of the kids hit the window at a time other than the occupant being home and s/he just noticed it after the fact?
Stands to reason if someone drove by your house and took a shot at it while you were standing in the window, you would have noticed the vehicle and could say yourself what it was.
You don't seem to understand, this is not just any average beach or bay shore where it is legal to shoot, but a community called Bayshore where it is indeed illegal (you might check a dictionary too) to shoot any weapons, although many do disrespect the law. Let's just hope it was an accident and that it doesn't happen with larger caliber guns that could actually do harm to someone.
Ross Smith

Corvallis, OR

#7 Sep 7, 2007
Thanks, Badbackbill, for clarifying for the out-of-stater. Indeed, she was sitting in the room, reading, not staring out the window anticipating she may need to watch every motion in case someone drove by and shot at her! This was not a stray bullet, it was shot from the driver side of a vehicle directly to the middle of the front window, the only shot made, and then a getaway. The woman in the house naturally was not expecting this and was stunned at the loud bang on her glass, at first thought maybe it was a rock or bird. Someone not used to criminal activity does not immediately respond the way a trained cop would, by dashing to the window to see who did it. The first few seconds are confusing and disorienting if you've never been shot at, and are relaxed in your own house.
bigstump

Seattle, WA

#8 Sep 8, 2007
Alfred... your comment is unbelievably, totally lame. I think you've been out in the Arizona sun a bit too long. How many times have you been shot at while sitting peacefully in your home? I'm sure that on each occasion you jumped right up and recorded the license plate number of the suspect vehicle.
andrew

United States

#9 Sep 20, 2007
me thinks alfred seems to be covering up a bit....perhaps knows something. Either this person is pulling a leg....but it comes across as if they might have been involved or KNEW someone who was...and is trying to (lamely) detract attention from the actual evidence and situation.

That comment just doesn't fly.
andrew

United States

#10 Sep 20, 2007
also....it's not hard to come across as if you're from somewhere else on topix.net . I'm actually writing from portland, but topix reads where your servers are. Hence the fact i seem like i'm writing from seattle.(i live part time on the coast as well)

I think that person above is either pulling our legs or had something to do with it.
b-rizzle

Grand Ronde, OR

#11 Oct 3, 2007
ok well i know alot of people that live in bayshore and almost all of the kids that own bb guns.....ya they like to go to the skate park in waldport and shoot them at people...so ya if anyone could help u i could ...but u need to give a lil more info!...but ya that guy from arizona needs to shut up bcuz he dont live here...and her wasnt thier...its not like ur gonna get right when it happens to see what the license plate was and what kind of car it is..bcuz u will still be schocked that some one just shot ur window with a bb gun....and plus they said that the naibor saw what color the car was....but ya i bet i could find who did it pretty quick
Bethany Hunt

Corvallis, OR

#12 Oct 9, 2007
"B-rizzle" and others, hi. I am the woman who was shot at. The Bayshore Board of Directors and the Sheriff's department have been less than helpful. Some neighbors have mentioned they "probably" know who did it, but no one so far will offer a name.

Now we've been getting stories about drug deals going on routinely from the Howard Johnson's, and some say it's "those people." Sounds crazy, and I don't know what to think? Four or five people have separately said it's "common knowledge" drugs are sold all the time right here in Bayshore from the hotel, and that the Sheriff refuses to investigate due to some political or monetary reasons (?)! This is hard to believe...but then maybe I'm naive. People shooting into front windows in daylight is certainly indicative of a growing trend toward violence.

That's why we put up a reward, not for vengeance, but to understand WHY someone did this? Is it just a prank or something worse going on? A one-time incident, or do we need to be continually worried for our safety?

Our $1000 reward still holds good: if you provide a name and the police arrest and prosecute, we will give you $1000 cash when the criminal is convicted. We do not want revenge, just relief from the anxiety over what is happening in our neighborhood.

You may contact us c/o Bethany Hunt, P.O. Box 1534, Waldport, OR 97394.
Kathy M

Lebanon, OR

#13 Nov 10, 2007
we need more police and sheriff patrolling around, keeping an eye out and making a presence of law enforcement. if people can commit crimes in broad daylight they must not be very afraid of getting caught, because the petty criminals around here know that there are not enough sheriffs to respond to all the problems.
Glen

United States

#14 Nov 18, 2007
Alfred,
Are you a complete moron? Why do you want to defend the actions of whoever did this? I'll bet you all the money I have in my pocket that I could shoot a BB through your window and get away before you ever saw me. Since this happened at night, it's REALLY possible it was dark enough that the victim couldn't make out her attackers. Get a clue!
Alfred wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waldport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for H or possibly plain pill, get back ... (May '16) Dec '16 Beautiful Chaos 2
rape (May '16) May '16 I know right 2
Attention: Local Writers (Jun '15) Jun '15 Leta McCurry 1
News Corvallis bank robbery suspect arrested (Jan '08) May '15 Newport Oregon 4
News Boat, fish found in Oregon likely from Japan ts... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Shirvell s Shrivel 1
Review: Drift Creek Landing (Apr '14) Jun '14 B Padgett 4
angel denson (Feb '13) May '13 ohhh 3

Waldport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waldport Mortgages