How to bypass the Waldorf 'pit'

Full story: Baltimore Sun 8
My first advice about holiday travel is: Don't. My backup advice is: Don't try to drive south on Interstate 95. Full Story
retltbcpd124

Norristown, PA

#1 Dec 8, 2008
Never trust a Snitcher.
Charles Countian

Silver Spring, MD

#2 Dec 8, 2008
and remember that despite being opened on August 18, the Rosewick Road section of the St. Charles Parkway extension is still under construction. That two mile stretch of Rosewick Road is a 25 MPH, double fine, construction zone; and the police love to enforce that speed there. They've paved, torn up, paved, torn up, regraded, paved, and torn up again that two mile stretch so many times since mid-August. I think they could have used less asphalt to resurface your I-95 route.

Despite its problems, your Waldorf bypass secret is quite a time saver -- that is, unless you're one of the fortunate drivers to be graced by the stop-light gods on 301.

Keep in mind though, that the Waldorf bypass only bypasses Waldorf. You're still getting dumped out on the north side of La Plata, where you still have at least six stop lights (that are very poorly coordinated) to get to the south side of Rt 6 (where you have a clear shot to the Nice Bridge). Those six stop lights in La Plata have taken as long as a trip through Waldorf on bad-days. A few heavily traveled summer afternoons have seen volume-only back-ups of four-miles or greater before La Plata, all due to the poor coordination of those traffic signals and large traffic volume.

As a Charles Countian, I was hoping your pointers would remain quiet for a little longer; I was enjoying the roads less traveled. There are other County-secrets to get around traffic, but I'll keep those to myself for now.
Dixie Bound

Bel Air, MD

#3 Dec 8, 2008
I still vote for the additional bypass I brought up in the first article about taking I95 onto the DC beltway and then exiting on MD 5 Branch Avenue South to Waldorf. It may not be as pratical for someone in Anne Arundel County, but most anywhere else it is worth the trek. I rarely encounter slowdowns on I95 before then, and with most of 5 having been turned into an expressway, its a stoplight free way of doing highway speeds all the way to the north side of Brandywine (Just a couple of miles before Waldorf).

as an ex southern Maryland native myself, there are additional manuvers to make off of St Charles parkway/Rosewick however its too confusing to try to post on here.
burgersub

Prince Frederick, MD

#4 Dec 8, 2008
If Virginia takes speeding so seriously, how come all the people I see in Maryland with Virginia plates drive like maniacs? Do they come here to blow off steam?
Ron

Arlington, VA

#5 Dec 8, 2008
I used to take 301 south when traveling to Florida, but several years ago it seemed that any place that could afford to buy a stoplight had done so. In comparison, Virginia was high speed! On my last several trips, I waited until after rush hour and took route 50 into I95. No stops, and I was able to maintain a reasonable speed.
Gregg Barkley

New York, NY

#6 Dec 8, 2008
Port Royal is a bit of a speed trap as they lowered the speed limit from 45 to 35 for no reason on a half-mile stretch of road before it goes back to 45. South of Bowling Green the police are fewer but there is the caveat that 301 is two-lanes only from Bowling Green to about five miles south of Hanover Courthouse and sometimes traffic can prevent legal passing of the local denizens who prefer going ten-miles per hour below the posted 55 limit. This portion also has a section that states "Being measured mile" and "End measured mile" which makes me wonder if the rest of the mile markers were haphazard/lucky guesses.
Best Waldorf Driving

Baltimore, MD

#7 Dec 8, 2008
I live in Waldorf and visit my family in Virginia Beach frequently. The best time I have found to travel is a weekday about 10am. I go south on 301 (my house is right next to St. Charles Parkway and I bike on the new extension because it has a nice bike trail alongside, something I have been waiting for!) to the Nice Bridge (which I hate because it's scary) down route 17. It takes about 3.5 hours to get to VB and it's actually a pretty nice ride especially when the weather is favorable. ALWAYS try to avoid 301 at Rt. 5 - BLECH!!!!
And Waldorf IS a Pit

Baltimore, MD

#8 Dec 8, 2008
Oh - and I have been complaining about what a pit Waldorf is on my blog for almost two years charlescountycafe.com . There have been some improvements and now bike trails and some efforts by the local arts community to add a little culture to the area - we're tryin!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waldorf Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Landover Mall (May '06) Dec 14 Donegal Man 12
NEW Maryland Locksmith License Law (Jul '13) Dec 7 Stanley-BM-Locksmith 7
Moving Nov 19 John 2
Former Marine Complains About Pro-Islam Bias In... Nov '14 hehehe 6
Father upset over Islam history lesson barred f... Nov '14 Darth Yoda 2
Man Charged For Attempted Murder In Charles Co. (May '12) Sep '14 pico 5
Review: Evergreen Disposal Svc (Mar '11) Sep '14 Elizabeth Crespo 32
Waldorf Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web