Pricey emergency vehicle unfinished

Pricey emergency vehicle unfinished

There are 20 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 14, 2007, titled Pricey emergency vehicle unfinished. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Elkhart County is looking for a local company to complete work on a $360,000 emergency command vehicle that was supposed to be done in 2005.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Old guy

Noblesville, IN

#1 Mar 14, 2007
Sounds like a Bartmobile.
Wow

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Mar 14, 2007
Granted, it's nice to have an emergency response vehicle, but up in Goshen... I know that they can say "it can happen anywhere." But, in an area where the roads are grooved by the wheels of Amish buggies and the fields are still bountiful, I can't perceive a logical reason that this area should have such a pricey vehicle lest it is to assist in major cities in the northern section of the state...
What

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Mar 14, 2007
Unbelievable, Goshen has about 30,000 residents (29,000 by their own acclaim) so this vehicle costs approximately $12,000.00 per resident. Terrorists? In Goshen? What would they do blow up San Marcos Taqueria & Grocery? This is just another example why people struggle to get ahead, wasted tax money like this. Homeland (insecurity) no doubt.
TaxAndSpend

Burbank, CA

#4 Mar 14, 2007
A good example of pork barrel spending!!!

“I'd b surfing if I wasn't here”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

#5 Mar 14, 2007
What wrote:
Unbelievable, Goshen has about 30,000 residents (29,000 by their own acclaim) so this vehicle costs approximately $12,000.00 per resident. Terrorists? In Goshen? What would they do blow up San Marcos Taqueria & Grocery? This is just another example why people struggle to get ahead, wasted tax money like this. Homeland (insecurity) no doubt.
No, twink, if it cost twelve thousand dollars per person then the truck would be worth three hundred sixty million dollars. You missed several decimal places.
Careful now

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Mar 14, 2007
Goshen In. yea right??? I guess it's because of one of the Amish terrorist cell operating under I can't-ta.
Somebody is getting hosed on this one. Take 3 guesses, but you will only need one.
What

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Mar 14, 2007
Dana Curtis Kincaid wrote:
<quoted text>
No, twink, if it cost twelve thousand dollars per person then the truck would be worth three hundred sixty million dollars. You missed several decimal places.
I stand corrected. Using mouse on computer calc. Double check your work, Double check your work...got it.

“I'd b surfing if I wasn't here”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

#8 Mar 14, 2007
What wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected. Using mouse on computer calc. Double check your work, Double check your work...got it.
;-) Hey, if it is one thing I'm lousy at, it's keeping digits in the correct order.

Just teasing...
Goshen native

New Carlisle, IN

#9 Mar 14, 2007
I was born and raised in Goshen and moved away last year for a new job after returing from the military.

As much as I support other public safety organizations, I will agree, a $400,000 mobile command post is funny. But, it is a growing area, and there is more times then most people think, a need for some type of mobile command post. Weather, large fires at the area factories, crimes scenes, etc. Terrorists? Ya, that is funny, but there are legit reasons. The counties old "mobile command" was a crappy trailer with nothing in it, that served the county for at least 20 years. So maybe it's time to upgrade for another 20.
John D

Baltimore, MD

#10 Mar 14, 2007
I could have provided this vehicle for much less and still had money left over for profit.
Homeland Security

AOL

#11 Mar 14, 2007
What an absolute mismanagement of Homeland Security money. Terrorist attacks in the heart of Hoosier Amish country? Somebody doesn't know their Grabers from their Mohammeds! I could have driven a $75,000 RV off the lot at Stout's RV, slapped some red and blue lights on it and have it serve the same purpose for a whole lot less. Think of the street lights Bart could have bought with that money if he had it to spend!
slow lane

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Mar 14, 2007
At nearly $400K, I'd hate to know how much they will charge for the horses to pull it. I heard the reflective triangle on the back is a cool $20K.
Lee Fleck

AOL

#13 Mar 14, 2007
What wasw wrong with the emergency vehicle manufactors in Elkhart County.
Mr Yoder

Saint Joseph, IL

#14 Mar 14, 2007
Does thee think this is a matter at which to laugh? We are in constant danger up here! Mennonites,.. ya.
Mr Larroquette

Saint Joseph, IL

#15 Mar 14, 2007
I still have my U.A.V from STRIPES.
$3995.00
Joe Snyder

Portland, OR

#16 Mar 14, 2007
It would be great to sell our walk-in van chassis at Freightliner Custom Chassis for $75K each but someone has their facts mixed up. Better get back to your sources to get the correct information. The vehicle probably includes an aluminum body with expensive equipment upgrades for that price.
Sandy

United States

#17 Mar 14, 2007
OMG looks like George W Bush and his
Incompetent Sec of Homeland Security
Jerk.ff Micheal Chertoof Strike Again
nd with the help of the Pork-Barell
U S Congress have ripped off the U S
Taxpayer for more wastred tax dollars
while some of our Big Cities would
love to have a Pricey Command Van,and
that a much higher Terrorist Target
then some small many amish county
in Indiana! Your Doing A Heck Of A
Job Here Georgie and Mikey!

“Hardcore Libertarian”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, IN

#18 Mar 14, 2007
oh the cops have a new toy. After a few years of collecting dust they will do what every other place has done... use it to justify a paramilitary swat team and go shoot up some families. yeee haw
Merle Allen

Ashburn, VA

#20 Mar 14, 2007
This is the biggest waste of tax money I have ever heard.
It is hard to believe normal, responsible people would allow such a WASTE!
Sandy

United States

#21 Mar 15, 2007
FYI just for ya'll information,there
are numberous major Fire Truck and
Homeland Security Vechile Manufactors
like Pierce Fire Equipment and
Saulsbury and E-One that already make
these large Command Vans to Fire
Department,and Police Department and
Homeland Security Specs and that come
ready equipped with everything from
radios,computers,closed circuit tv
and camera systems,even on some o
them a toilet and kitchen so why did
this Indy town waste money to some
phony fly by night company for one?
An so once again why does a msall town need one at $400,000 anyhow?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wakarusa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Immigration agents make 39 arrests in Elkhart C... (Sep '08) Jul 7 Go Blue Forever 50
News The Latest: Cruz to hang in as long as he has '... May '16 A Tear For Ted 1
News Furnace repair techs working over time (Jan '15) Jan '16 Chinook Heating 4
A must see video (Jan '16) Jan '16 concerned 1
Immigration (Jul '08) Aug '15 Larry Cochrane 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Aug '15 CorruptionKiller 35
USRV transport (May '09) Nov '14 park model transp... 7

Wakarusa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wakarusa Mortgages