Craigslist rental ads attracting the ...

Craigslist rental ads attracting the crooks - Hawaii Editorials

There are 109 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 24, 2009, titled Craigslist rental ads attracting the crooks - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

What's it like to be the victim of three attempted robberies in one day? It all started when my wife and I decided to advertise our Manoa apartment on the popular Craigslist, where the price is "free" and you can even include photos.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Scams

Kaneohe, HI

#21 Nov 24, 2009
I know that scam well too. It almost happened to me too on Craigslist. Luckily I used my brain to figure it out. If youre too dumb to know better then you should stay away from craigslist because there are tons of liars and people who just cannot spell simple words.

If youre smart and know what to look for you can find some good deals but dont be so naive.
kanehi

Aiea, HI

#22 Nov 24, 2009
People are just so gullible. It's common sense not to give personal information to anyone and this includes bank or financial employees calling you personally. Don't blame CL. It's just an advertising site. If you happen to get a Western Union money gram hold on to it until it clears your bank. Just remember, if you're selling something, you're in control of the situation and not the buyer. I had a call from a supposedly credit card company and was told I had to pay the due amount. Then he asked me for my credit card account number... I said, "You're the one calling me. You should know already!" He went silent and hung up the phone.
mush

Honolulu, HI

#23 Nov 24, 2009
kanehi wrote:
People are just so gullible. It's common sense not to give personal information to anyone and this includes bank or financial employees calling you personally. Don't blame CL. It's just an advertising site. If you happen to get a Western Union money gram hold on to it until it clears your bank. Just remember, if you're selling something, you're in control of the situation and not the buyer. I had a call from a supposedly credit card company and was told I had to pay the due amount. Then he asked me for my credit card account number... I said, "You're the one calling me. You should know already!" He went silent and hung up the phone.
Get a shrill pitched battery powered shriek alarm and let'm have it in the ear.
OahuWorker

San Diego, CA

#24 Nov 24, 2009
CL's is a cesspool of scammers either way you go (buying or selling). Not to mention a ton of traditional spam going on there.
Anything free is no good

Redding, CA

#25 Nov 24, 2009
I had the same type of thing when I listed my car in one of those "free" local classified ad newspaper things. It automatically got posted on their website and BAM...insty "U.K." scammer (this one was a "pilot" hahaa)
I knew it was bogus as soon as I saw it.
I marked the email "report as phishing scam" and that was that.

Yes, craigslist is FULL of crooks, frauds and phonies, but it's not just craigslist. Expect that anything free is vulnerable to abuses.

Stay safe everyone!
PPBME

Honolulu, HI

#26 Nov 24, 2009
I bet there are lots of scammers on Craigslist. But how did you know the first two guys were ones? Because all professors smoke and do drugs? It would be funny if the first two guys had read the article, "Eight questions to avoid rental scams on Craiglist."
Realist

Waianae, HI

#27 Nov 25, 2009
I can't even type onto this site what I think of Craig's List..
pineapple princess

AOL

#29 Nov 25, 2009
this is very old news and a scam that
has been known for years. Craigslist
warns people constanly about this
method of crime. Only those who think
they are " getting something for
nothing " still fall for it and then
they crybaby to the banks when they
have to pay back the money they gained
from a bougus ckeck or money order.
tit 4 tat

Honolulu, HI

#30 Nov 25, 2009
For months I got calls from a fake collection agency back East for a phone bill with a company I never had an account. Sometimes 4 calls a day.
Finally I asked them, "Are you paid by the hour or by commission? Could you hold for a minute?"
They stopped calling.
~
Nigerian scammers....ha! I tell them the money is at Western Union & to go pick it up.
~
A local cult which promised one could "change" their life also would not stop calling after I repeatedly asked they remove my number from their calling list. Finally I advertised in the free section of craigslist a 5-gallon jug of "change" & posted their number.(you know, pennies etc)
They were swamped with calls.
At least I got a laugh out of it.
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#31 Nov 25, 2009
I've bought items from Craig's list and never been ripped off. But then, I don't expect a fifty-dollar car to sell for ten thousand dollars. Common sense folks, common sense. When you see something being sold on-island and the photo of the item has snow in the background, and you still send money via Western Union, them you are just to dumb to live.
humuus

Kailua Kona, HI

#32 Nov 25, 2009
Realist wrote:
I can't even type onto this site what I think of Craig's List..
use pig latin translated into pig samoan, embedded in alician logic.
PPBME

Honolulu, HI

#33 Nov 27, 2009
PPBME wrote:
I bet there are lots of scammers on Craigslist. But how did you know the first two guys were ones? Because all professors smoke and do drugs? It would be funny if the first two guys had read the article, "Eight questions to avoid rental scams on Craiglist."
This came out a bit terse. I meant you need more proof before playing tricks on the first two guys. Just because they claim to be professors who don't smoke or do drugs, doesn't mean they are scamming, or deserve to have tricks played on them. Get more proof first. Ask them which University they work for and check them out.
Senseless

Honolulu, HI

#34 Nov 29, 2009
alice wrote:
I live in a dorm and it seems safe here
Thats what the rest of the students thought till you invited 3 homeless women to move in. Stupid think before you post your nonsense.
alice

United States

#35 Nov 29, 2009
I said I wanted to invite in homeless but it was not asllowed. I live here with my Hilo roommate....geesh.
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#36 Nov 29, 2009
alice wrote:
I said I wanted to invite in homeless but it was not asllowed. I live here with my Hilo roommate....geesh.


No, you said you had a homeless woman living with you in the UH dorm.
mush

Kailua Kona, HI

#37 Nov 29, 2009
Stumpy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you said you had a homeless woman living with you in the UH dorm.
House rules also does not allow one of the opposite sex to co-habit.
up4one

Lihue, HI

#38 Nov 30, 2009
People are always blaming the service (CL, ebay, etc.) for their mishap. Its not their fault. Their just carrying the advertisement like any other classified service like newspapers.

Are you going to blame email services like yahoo or hotmail because you responded to a spam email and got scammed? Or for the fact The Advertiser or Star Bulletin because a scammer posted a bogus classified ad?

Buyers beware, just like when you buy a used car its sometimes sold as is. Sometimes you get what you pay for when you go cheap especially when alot of money is involved.
up4one

Lihue, HI

#39 Nov 30, 2009
tit 4 tat wrote:
For months I got calls from a fake collection agency back East for a phone bill with a company I never had an account. Sometimes 4 calls a day.
Finally I asked them, "Are you paid by the hour or by commission? Could you hold for a minute?"
They stopped calling.
~
Nigerian scammers....ha! I tell them the money is at Western Union & to go pick it up.
~
A local cult which promised one could "change" their life also would not stop calling after I repeatedly asked they remove my number from their calling list. Finally I advertised in the free section of craigslist a 5-gallon jug of "change" & posted their number.(you know, pennies etc)
They were swamped with calls.
At least I got a laugh out of it.
Thats a good one.
DADDY LAU

AOL

#40 Nov 30, 2009
Who in their right mind would send money back without clearing the check in the first place???????? DUH!!!!!!!!
alice

United States

#41 Nov 30, 2009
Lau is right..be careful with the fake Craig ads

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump or Hillary 5 min District 1 201
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 29 min Princess Hey 3,338
Joe Balls Eats a Puffer Fish & then Rides the Rail (May '12) 6 hr District 1 67
Imua Rail?? (May '12) 8 hr District 1 516
OBAMA HATERS You Wasted A Decade of YOUR LIFE (Aug '15) 8 hr District 1 20
News Police arrest city employee in transgender sexu... 9 hr Karmel 1
WTF? Ward Theatre! 9 hr District 1 7

Waipio Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waipio Mortgages