Business | /2008/05/20/

Business | /2008/05/20/

There are 15 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from May 20, 2008, titled Business | /2008/05/20/. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

By Allison Schaefers [email protected] Castle & Cooke Homes Hawaii Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

John W Bienko

Ottawa, Canada

#1 May 20, 2008
Hawai`i planning officials MUST ensure the developers of this land build LIVE WORK PLAY communities. THat concept provides the most viable environmental sustainable community. To minimize the time and costs of commuting. To provide livable communities for people.
TheTruth

Hilo, HI

#2 May 20, 2008
Just ridiculous they want to build all these homes when absolutely nothing will be done to the traffic situation.
MY SECOND HOME

Irvine, CA

#3 May 20, 2008
Gee, Castle & Cook, the thieves that stole the Hawaiian lands over a hundred years ago want to circumvent procedures set up by the State Land Commission to expedite two projects and take away more agricutural land. And what makes it even more outrages they want to "sell" it back to the Hawaiians that they stole it from.
huliau05

Hilo, HI

#4 May 20, 2008
LAWA! ENUF!
THESE DEVELPORS ARE ONLY IN FOR THE SHORT HAUL AND THE BOTTOM LINE:$$$
MAKAWALU PEOPLE!
THE TRAFFIC IS ALREADY BEYOND CONTROL GOING TO THE 'SECOND CITY' IN BOTH DIRECTIONS AT 'ALL' HOURS AND BUILDING AT THE H-1/H-2 'MERGES'!!
IT GOES FURTHER UP INTO THE WAHIAWA OFF-RAMPS, IN PARTICULAR IN THE AFTERNOON RUSH WHAT WITH ALL THE 'OUTSIDE' MILITARY & MILITARY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENTS GOINGS ON IN WHITMORE/POAMOHO & HELEMANO AREAS. THE PROJECTIONS ARE FOR MORE INFRASTRUCTURE FOR MORE MILITARY BUILD-UPS IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE WITH THE NEW ADDITIONS OF BRIDGADES OF HELICOPTER, INFANTRY, STRYKERS...U NAME IT, THEY'RE COMING...THIS IS THE SECOND INVASION & OCCUPATION OF OUR ISLANDS.
NOTICE HOW 'THEIR' INFRASTRUCTURE HAS ALL THE 'LATEST' TECHNOLOGIES? WONDA WHO'S PAYING FOR IT??
THIS 'CIVILIAN' DEVELOPMENTS ARE BEING OCCUPIED BY THE 'RETIREE' MILITARY TYPES WHO ARE 'SCORING' ALL THE MILITARY CONTRACTS FOR THIS BUILD UP AS THE LOCAL CONTRACTORS CANNOT BID NOR 'BOND' SUCH HUGE PROJECTS.
MAKAWALU PEOPLE OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE IN THE SAME PREDICAMENT AS THE SECOND CITY, MAKAKILO, AND THE LEEWARD COAST IS IN...STUCK IN TRAFFIC FOR HOURS AND ON THE BEACHES 'HOUSE-LESS' AS YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD THE HOMES THEY'RE PROPOSING TO BUILD NOR RENT ANY THING FOR THE INFLATED PRICES THEY'LL DEMAND!
NOT PICKING ON YOU MILITARY 'OHANAs, BUT THAT'S THE REALITY FROM AN ISLANDER WHO'S OBSERVED YOUR IMPOSITION ON OUR ISLANDS WITHOUT REGARDS FOR THE ORIGINAL PEOPLES AND OUR NEEDS! THIS IS AN ISLAND WITH FINITE RESOURCES AND UNLESS YOU CONTROL YOUR CONTINENTAL INFLUENCES YOU NEED TO BE MADE AWARE THAT THIS IS THE REALITY OF YOUR CULTURE & INFLUENCE UPON THESE ISLANDS.
manini

Honolulu, HI

#5 May 20, 2008
The LUC needs to put the rezoning of Ag lands on hold until the bill regarding the rezoning of Ag lands is either signed into law or rejected by the Gov. There's no point allowing Castle & Cooke to rezone these lands and then come back next month saying they now want to rezone another 15% of their lands under the new law (should it be enacted). If the new law is enacted, then these lands need to count towards that 15%.
And the LUC should view Castle & Cooke and Dole as one entity since the same guy sets at the top of both companies. No more shifting properties between the two entities.
Think Ahead

Mililani, HI

#6 May 20, 2008
They should not be allowed to build on prime ag land. We are going to wish we had saved more of our ag land once oil reaches 200 a barrel.
Newtowner

Honolulu, HI

#7 May 20, 2008
C&C needs to visit the Aiea and Pearl City neighborhood boards also. Their proposed new residents will transit this bottleneck corridor to get to all the Honolulu infrastructure. The process of just going to the Neighboehood boards that abut the development is not sufficient.
wtf

Kahului, HI

#8 May 20, 2008
NO! No more ag land for urban sprawl.
Economy

Waialua, HI

#9 May 20, 2008
Read the EIS draft before making off the cuff comments.
Tama Samoa

Kihei, HI

#10 May 20, 2008
Wonder how many developers will file for bankrubcy this year?

It will be a good sign for the housing bottom.
Castle and CROOK

Honolulu, HI

#11 May 20, 2008
They don't care about the community... what's in it for us? All they do is jump when their eccentric boss (Murdock) tells them to. It's all about making money for them, since Dole is going in the tank.
Alright, more traffic for me to look forward to.
grayson314

Honolulu, HI

#12 May 20, 2008
So the new neighborhoods will include a hospital (jobs), schools (jobs), parks (jobs), retail (jobs) and office space (jobs). Building them will create jobs, too. Sounds good, since people need to work and the ag lands aren't providing any jobs. The plantation days are over.
Mike Swanson

Kaneohe, HI

#13 May 20, 2008
So Castle and Cooke may build these new communities as long as they do community “outreach.” Even if during this “outreach” the community says that they don’t want the development? So to paraphrase…“I (Castle and Cooke) am asking for your (Community) opinion because it looks good if I do, but I am going to do whatever I want regardless of your opinion.”

Wonderful.
Peter Griffin

Kaneohe, HI

#14 May 20, 2008
I am sure the majority of the homes going up in these developments will be "affordable" housing. I mean that is what our State really needs more of. I am thinking single family homes for 100K to 250K. That sounds about right doesn't it Castle and Cooke?
Woody

Gilbert, AZ

#15 May 20, 2008
So let Me get this straight, the Developer started this process in the 90's, and here it is 2008. And people are all worked up about rushing the process?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Alice has worms. (Apr '10) 25 min Malia 266
Handsome Men of Hawaii (Mar '08) 4 hr Mandy 138
Dogs in Hawaii Grocery Stores, in Carts-NoHeal... 4 hr Deb 4
News Micronesian in Hawaii (Aug '11) 11 hr HbH 556
News Senate panel OKs a shorter extension for rail tax (Mar '15) 12 hr HbH 9
News Tourists sue Crocs footwear, Waikiki hotel over... Mon Francine 6
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) Mon Hatti_Hollerand 3,460

Waipio Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance