Why do Filipinos consider themselves as Pacific Islanders?

Posted in the Waipio Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of414
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
iopp

Clover, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2008

Just because the Philippines is in the Pacific Ocean, it doesn't mean filipinos are pacific islanders.
Iyot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2008

iopp wrote:
Just because the Philippines is in the Pacific Ocean, it doesn't mean filipinos are pacific islanders.
Wow, that's news to me. Thanks for telling me that I consider myself a Pacific islander. I always thought that I was just Filipino.

sent from my iPhone
icare

Medford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2009

I noticed that too. Too bad for the real pacific islanders!
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2009

Judged:

Filipnoes want the huge paychecks the feds hands out to the phony "natives" who claim to be pacific islanders but look asian and haole.
icare

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2009

What a shame
So what

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2009

Judged:

icare wrote:
I noticed that too. Too bad for the real pacific islanders!
So GENIUS how did you define a P-A-C-I-F-I-C I-S-L-A-N-D-E-R?
looky

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2009

Judged:

So what wrote:
<quoted text>
So GENIUS how did you define a P-A-C-I-F-I-C I-S-L-A-N-D-E-R?
One who can move in to Mayor Wrights, KPT, KamIV, Kamehameha Housing.
just Lulu

Clover, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Anyone who is from Samoa,Tahiti,Fiji,Fuji,Tonga and East Timor. There are other counties to add to the list too.
Filipinos should be called asians because they have more asian influences amongst them. Even thought Japan and Phillippines are in the Pacific Ocean, they are asian.
Traveler

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2009

Judged:

I think it's mostly mainland Filipinos who consider themselves Pacific Islander probably b/c there aren't very many Hawaiians, Samoans, or Tongans living nearby. Most, if not all Filipinos residing in Hawaii consider themselves Asian and/or mixed.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

alice wrote:
Filipnoes want the huge paychecks the feds hands out to the phony "natives" who claim to be pacific islanders but look asian and haole.
That's funny. Pinoys are pinoys no matter what they are. If their kids marry haole or popolo, they're still pinoys.Pinoys adapt to easily to other cultures especialy to american culture. Heck, in the PI they are abandoning the spanish influence and replacing it with american.
Less spanish words are used in Tagalog now.
Mestizos rule in entertainment even if they dont look it.
Peaches

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Filipinos do not consider themselves Pacific Islanders. What a silly, stupid question. It's like "Why is the moon purple?"
ohhwee

Kealakekua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Peaches wrote:
Filipinos do not consider themselves Pacific Islanders. What a silly, stupid question. It's like "Why is the moon purple?"
That was stereotipicaly a "pinoy" color. It is a "rrrromantic coollor". Purple moon evokes thoughts of "rrrromance".
Peaches

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

ohhwee wrote:
<quoted text>That was stereotipicaly a "pinoy" color. It is a "rrrromantic coollor". Purple moon evokes thoughts of "rrrromance".
actually, purple is the color of my birthstone, amethyst. nothing filipino about it.
LMAO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

Look no offense on this one but "more asian"? WTF? Show me some cultural similarities between Koreans, Japanese and Thais (written languages anyone?) and aboriginal Filipinos. Historically however Filipinos have a different relationship with the Federal Government than Poly/Micro/Mela-nesians, as such they have traditionally been placed in the census category of "Asian", although don't let that mean too much to you, Hawaiians were considered "caucasian" for the purposes of the WWI draft.

Pacific Islands is the "PC-Sensitive-Nondicrimin atory" way to say Poly/Micro/Mela-nesian; the words alone would qualify anyone who live on a Pacific Island as being a Pacific Islander, but our PC ways don't let this happen (just like how white people in hawaii aren't 'supposed' to say they're hawaiian, while californians don't discriminate on the demonym).

As another example let's look at "African Americans", is a caucasian person born in South Africa, or an Arab born in Egypt an "African American" if they were to move to the US? The simple meaning of the words... yes they are from Africa and as such are African Americans, however, at the same time they're not, because in our PC nanny-state everyone knows that African American means black, we're just not supposed to say black anymore.
LMAO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

Judged:

WTF? LA? I'm sitting in Manoa.
Kuya Bhoy

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

Judged:

Who dug up this old thread?

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

Kuya Bhoy wrote:
o
One pinoy did.who else would?Or maybe a Pacific Islander-a real one trying to start this argument again.
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

I admire Pinoy culture
Ball Lightning

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

Tailspin dude.
LOL

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2010

Judged:

Kuya Bhoy wrote:
It's people who are adicted to Topix. Since there are few new threads, the old ones will be recycled. Everyone needs their Topix fix.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of414
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waipio Discussions

Search the Waipio Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
40% DON'T BELIEVE obama was born here 38 min local warrior 10
obamacare busted! 1 hr Guru CANT STOP LAUGHING 2
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... (Jan '14) 3 hr Guru CANT STOP LAUGHING 1,655
Mayor asks residents to report aerial advertising 8 hr Joe Balls is whipped 15
70-463 Exam questions and answers 12 hr passokay123 1
70-462 Exam Testing Engine 12 hr passokay123 1
70-461 Exam braindumps in PDF for share 12 hr passokay123 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Waipio Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••