punahou high society
First Prev
of 36
Next Last
john

Honolulu, HI

#1 Feb 4, 2008
from another thread, remembered something that always bothered me and wonder if anyone else experienced similar.

i'm connected to the school (but didnt go there) and my experience is punahou prima donnas out number down-to-earths about 5-1. several of my friends (nonpunahou)joined their punahou husbands at punahou reunions and everyone one of them complained about how rude and exclusive the punahou women are. these punahou grads can't relate to anyone else besides punahou alums and don't see any need to. frankly, i'm shocked anyone can develop that attitude in hawaii. maybe its the big fish/little pond thing.
Safeway Sucks

Wailuku, HI

#2 Feb 4, 2008
I agree, send all those Punahou kids back to the Mainland, just like those stupid Safeway stores! Like Safeway, they are all show and no substance. Who needs 50 different kinds of nuts, or olives? Why do we need to make our own peanut butter? How pretentious! What's wrong with Jif?

Boycott Safeway!!
Oahu Fan

Mililani, HI

#3 Feb 4, 2008
Punahou is one of the schools I went to and one of the schools some of my family went to.

We are all down to earth as are most of the kids at Punahou. Which suggests to me you are not seeing enough of people from Punahou. There is wide range of kids there from every background and the school has a way of bringing them together no matter where they came from.

Many friends for life and many people I befriended on the mainland because of the shared experience.

I think one thing you learn after going to Punahou is the kind of diversity yet closeness you find there and that Punahou students are known for on the mainland does not exist in other places.
punchy

Ewa Beach, HI

#4 Feb 4, 2008
Oahu Fan wrote:
Punahou is one of the schools I went to and one of the schools some of my family went to.
We are all down to earth as are most of the kids at Punahou. Which suggests to me you are not seeing enough of people from Punahou. There is wide range of kids there from every background and the school has a way of bringing them together no matter where they came from.
Many friends for life and many people I befriended on the mainland because of the shared experience.
I think one thing you learn after going to Punahou is the kind of diversity yet closeness you find there and that Punahou students are known for on the mainland does not exist in other places.
I don't know, from I'm told by People who do and used to go to Punahou, they are VERY clickish. If you're new to the School, you either have to be a damn good Athlete, come from money or be popular, as in, "looks and materialistic style."

So, due to the fact that majority of the Punahou kids have been friends from elementary days up until high school, there is NO WAY someone from the outside who attend Punahou during High School will be able to befriend someone from the CLICKS.

And if you say they do befriend others? Yeah, they do, the other OUTSIDERS. Punahou is a prime example of stuck up, materialistic clicks.
ccp2

Keaau, HI

#5 Feb 4, 2008
john wrote:
from another thread, remembered something that always bothered me and wonder if anyone else experienced similar.
i'm connected to the school (but didnt go there) and my experience is punahou prima donnas out number down-to-earths about 5-1. several of my friends (nonpunahou)joined their punahou husbands at punahou reunions and everyone one of them complained about how rude and exclusive the punahou women are. these punahou grads can't relate to anyone else besides punahou alums and don't see any need to. frankly, i'm shocked anyone can develop that attitude in hawaii. maybe its the big fish/little pond thing.
Fact is Punahou and Iolani for that matter are exclusive schools and there will always be some parents and students with an arrogant, condescending attitude. However I don't think these schools administrations/teachers foster such an arrogant attitude cause students with these type of attitudes, no matter how smart or talented, will never get far in life. Of course in reunions and other alumni functions there will always be those who have to show off or look down at others and that is expected in these type of functions, but this also occurs at public schools reunions as well.

Regardless, an education at Punahou or Iolani is FAR superior than any public high school in Hawaii and that is a fact that cannot be denied. Another sad but true fact is half of the Hawaii State budget, which is about 2.5 billions dollars (I read that in the HA Sunday interview of Kokubun and ??), goes to public education. Therefore it is NOT a lack of money that is preventing our State education system from providing a decent education for our kids that would rival Iolani or Punahou. I will not go into the problems with the DOE and UH cause that will take 15 pages but the bottom line of your observations is that you can easily remedy your dilemma by just politely excuse yourself and walking away from these a**h*** parents/alumni when they start spouting their sh**. This has absolutely nothing to do with having your kids attend Iolani or Punahou, if you can get your kids accepted and afford for the tuition, all the while teaching your kids the importance of a solid education that these schools can provide, yet teach them to remain humble and open-minded and not look down at people less fortunate than they are.

Seems time, effort and energy would be better spent on developing ones own kids to be well-adjusted & productive adults in our society and not worry or think twice about snooty adults who have lots of money and too time on their hands but not much else going for them or the kids that they screwed up other than the fact they or their kids attended Punahou.
ccp2

Keaau, HI

#6 Feb 4, 2008
correction:

Seems time, effort and energy would be better spent on developing ones own kids to be well-adjusted & productive adults in our society and not worry or think twice about snooty adults who have lots of money and too MUCH time on their hands but not much else going for them or the kids that they screwed up, other than the fact they or their kids attended Punahou.
Beach lover

Kapaa, HI

#7 Feb 4, 2008
My neice and nephew attended school there from kindergarten through high school and both are sweet, humble and down to earth. Both of their parents did not want to hand everything to them, so they encouraged part-time jobs for spending money while attending school. They are both attending college in California and still work. There are snobby kids in every school. It does come down to the upbringing and many of these parents spoil their kids. I used to live near Punahou school and remember the limousines dropping off young children in front of the campus. On the other hand, I know of a kid who graduated there and is now a bartender on the North Shore and his mother is very disappointed in the life he chose. She still whines about how much money was spent on his education.
john

Honolulu, HI

#8 Feb 4, 2008
Oahu Fan wrote:
I’ll agree. Some of the nicest people I know are punahou parents, teachers, students and alums. But I’ve never seen so many a**hol*s concentrated in one place. Lots of trust babies and 2nd-3rd generation punahou people. Their claim to fame is daddy’s money or they married a fellow punahou alum w/money. they have this weird attitude that everybody owes them and nobody else counts. If you think I’m offended, I am. But, more than that, I’m so fascinated that these people actually view themselves like that. I can’t believe that they’re for real and actually take themselves serious.

My theory is the danger of attending punahou is you become socially isolated and handicapped. One sign is there are no punahou alums holding major (or even minor) political office in Hawaii since the plantation days. They just can’t connect with the other 98% of hawaii’s non-punahou folks. They don’t know how and many don’t care to. Mainland haoles do a better job connecting with common hawaii folks, like lingle and harris.

Lots of punahou alums have this disconnected perception of themselves and become rich, isolated weirdos who marry each other and send their kids to punahou.
310 Warrior Mom

Redondo Beach, CA

#10 Feb 4, 2008
john wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ll agree. Some of the nicest people I know are punahou parents, teachers, students and alums. But I’ve never seen so many a**hol*s concentrated in one place. Lots of trust babies and 2nd-3rd generation punahou people. Their claim to fame is daddy’s money or they married a fellow punahou alum w/money. they have this weird attitude that everybody owes them and nobody else counts. If you think I’m offended, I am. But, more than that, I’m so fascinated that these people actually view themselves like that. I can’t believe that they’re for real and actually take themselves serious.
My theory is the danger of attending punahou is you become socially isolated and handicapped. One sign is there are no punahou alums holding major (or even minor) political office in Hawaii since the plantation days. They just can’t connect with the other 98% of hawaii’s non-punahou folks. They don’t know how and many don’t care to. Mainland haoles do a better job connecting with common hawaii folks, like lingle and harris.
Lots of punahou alums have this disconnected perception of themselves and become rich, isolated weirdos who marry each other and send their kids to punahou.
one word for you...BARACK OBAMA.
310 Warrior Mom

Redondo Beach, CA

#11 Feb 4, 2008
sorry two wods...BARACK OBAMA
john

Honolulu, HI

#12 Feb 4, 2008
310 Warrior Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
now, now.... my post said "in hawaii"

"One sign is there are no punahou alums holding major (or even minor) political office in Hawaii since the plantation days. They just can’t connect with the other 98% of hawaii’s non-punahou folks."

and "barak obama" is 2 words.
AMG SL55

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Feb 4, 2008
310 Warrior Mom wrote:
sorry two wods...BARACK OBAMA
Let me guess, you're good friends with him too. I bet you don't know any of the people that you name drop.
whatevers

Wailuku, HI

#14 Feb 4, 2008
first off i wouldn't vote for barack obama! just because he went to punahou?!!! i want to know his political background, experience, what he accomplished, etc. secondly i know a punahou alumni whom i ask about his school. he told me students there were stuck up because of family status and other students were cool because their family status wasn't on the top. also he said on a over all basis most students think differently from normal high schoolers. students there are quirky or weird.
punchy

Ewa Beach, HI

#15 Feb 4, 2008
310 Warrior Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is a hypocrit. He's all WHITE, figured, Punahou Grad, eh???
310 Warrior Mom

Honolulu, HI

#16 Feb 4, 2008
punchy wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is a hypocrit. He's all WHITE, figured, Punahou Grad, eh???
You should have seen him here yesterday on TV with CAroline Kennedy, Oprah, and Maria Shriver...GEEZ, taolk about rock star!

But he should have listened to Inouye...and waited to run.
WhoCares

United States

#17 Feb 4, 2008
John...If you don't like high-maintenance stuck-up b*tches, then don't associate with them.
Pun Politicos

Wailuku, HI

#19 Feb 4, 2008
john wrote:
<quoted text>My theory is the danger of attending punahou is you become socially isolated and handicapped. One sign is there are no punahou alums holding major (or even minor) political office in Hawaii since the plantation days. They just can’t connect with the other 98% of hawaii’s non-punahou folks. They don’t know how and many don’t care to. Mainland haoles do a better job connecting with common hawaii folks, like lingle and harris.
Not suggesting that all of them are/were good or bad, but it does contradict your statement: Steve Yamashiro (former BI mayor), Charles Djou, Corinne Ching (?), Andy Mirikitani (haha). And of course, Barack Obama (but in Illinois, for now at least).
In need of Kala

Hilo, HI

#20 Feb 4, 2008
Speaking of "clicks," instead of getting paid per-click with Google's AdSense program, why not get paid per-play???

The potential to earn "Punahou-like income" is excellent!

Check it out here:
http://www.myspace.com/payperplay4u
punchy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, from I'm told by People who do and used to go to Punahou, they are VERY clickish. If you're new to the School, you either have to be a damn good Athlete, come from money or be popular, as in, "looks and materialistic style."
So, due to the fact that majority of the Punahou kids have been friends from elementary days up until high school, there is NO WAY someone from the outside who attend Punahou during High School will be able to befriend someone from the CLICKS.
And if you say they do befriend others? Yeah, they do, the other OUTSIDERS. Punahou is a prime example of stuck up, materialistic clicks.

“Eschew Obfuscation”

Since: Dec 07

Honolulu, HI

#21 Feb 4, 2008
In need of Kala wrote:
Speaking of "clicks," instead of getting paid per-click with Google's AdSense program, why not get paid per-play???
The potential to earn "Punahou-like income" is excellent!
Check it out here:
http://www.myspace.com/payperplay4u
<quoted text>
ROFL! Now that's marketing and knowing your audience!
john

Honolulu, HI

#22 Feb 4, 2008
Pun Politicos wrote:
<quoted text>Not suggesting that all of them are/were good or bad, but it does contradict your statement: Steve Yamashiro (former BI mayor), Charles Djou, Corinne Ching (?), Andy Mirikitani (haha). And of course, Barack Obama (but in Illinois, for now at least).
I’ll add brian schatz, lyla berg and galen fox (sexual assault). Mirikitani and fox are ex-cons making the weirdness label harder to shake. others are minor politicos.
But you’d think that with all the school’s talent, brains and connections punahou kids would take a more active role in Hawaii public policy making. Its more like everybody else but punahou kids. i think its because punahou people are more interested in knowing the heart surgeon, hotel executive and judge rather than the firefighter, waitress and custodian. the kids learn real fast some people count and others don’t. hard to develop a constituency when you’re raised like that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 36
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump or Hillary 1 hr Leeward Outlier 79
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 2 hr Leeward Outlier 708
Big Island DUI Arrests UP,, You Lose with BOOZE... 3 hr District 1 16
Are Big Island Motorists Too Big To Wear Their ... 3 hr District 1 5
Outing the Main Troll on the Honolulu Topix Forum 3 hr District 1 29
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 7 hr Princess Hey 3,208
Har har har har (Apr '14) 11 hr Auntie 124
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waipio Mortgages