Matson-union deal averts strike - Hawaii News

Matson Navigation Co. and three unions avoided a widespread shipping strike yesterday after reaching a tentative agreement on a four-year contract for ship captains, officers, radio operators and engineers. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anthony

Elkridge, MD

#42 Jul 14, 2009
Tama Samoa wrote:
we don't need a new deal
we need the law to change allowing foreign (ships)flags to drive up competition and keep cost low in this already poor state...
Its about time...
there are plenty of seaman who ship out of Hawaii, we are just trying to keep wages fair. without US FLAG PROTECTION, we would be out of work and some other country would enjoy the employment we lost. on the island. how can you stand competition at your work place say a phillipino or mexican who would be happy to work for half of what you make or did make and sent home the money or maybe enjoy the welfare system in Hawaii on top of it. buy american and ship american
anthony

Elkridge, MD

#43 Jul 14, 2009
Trash Gordon wrote:
Unions have become devious predatory organizations who strike when the public is most vulnerable. Oh, you say they didn't actually strike? Where do you think that word came from? They struck with a picket line and threat of worse. They are greedy bastards who send their kids to schools where the teachers, who contribute ten times what they do to society, lack the funds to teach the kids of these union thugs. But hey, school is just someplace to send a kid to learn how to be a lower level predator like your daddy and probably your free loading mommy too.
I have been a merchant seaman for 52 years. I have often shipped with matson. my first ship was 1968 aboard the Sierra to australia. It was a time when the viet nam war broke out, i had been a deck hand for 13yrs. The Masters, Mates, & Pilots Union had a program that was similar to the 90 day wonders during WW2, i was fortunate I passed the coast guard exam and became 3rd officer. My life changed unimaginabley. i now am ready for retirement after 41 years as an officer. The proposal is this: a steamship company as of late has reduced wages and overtime dramatically, Yes we as seaman have made a good wage(we leave home and are on call 24//7) used to be for a year now we do about 6 months. If the jones act was repealed Yes foreign ships would call many of us would be without a job as we have lost many ships in the years gone by. a foreign ship would pay wages to a foreigner who would not spend the money in hawaii or the us. the rates are not that much better for the shipper. the profits made by american ships with americans is something you should investigate. Matson has done millions a quarter. we signed a contract for a 25% reduction in wages on the "new ships" they had to build 3 yrs ago.
The current negociations were to bring those wages up to a level paid 3yrs ago by All american lines. for your ifo the us flag APL IS owned by NOL a singapore company 27 million 1st quarter profit. Horizon is owned by US people Matson by US people Sealand Maersk is us flag owned by the Danish. They all receive 2 million plus for HAVING THE US FLAG and available during a crisis. there is alot about this that does not meet the eye. foreign or US steamships are about the BOTTOM LINE $$ usually at the expense of the seaman. We have not had a pay increase since 1989 in real cost of living. Yes unions can abuse their position, but without a collective voice there would be no avenue for greivance..........
anthony

Elkridge, MD

#44 Jul 14, 2009
US FLAG US SEAMAN US JOBS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 1 hr Guru 61,977
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 5 hr Brimstone and Com... 2,281
OBAMA COUNTDOWN for DAYS LEFT In Office UNTIL N... (Jan '14) 10 hr Jack 1,742
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 14 hr Snap Crackle Pop 360
Man accused in alcohol poisoning of girl faces ... (Jan '10) 15 hr Aloha 47
KOBE is DONE_____THROW him in the DUMPSTER (Dec '13) 15 hr Jack 44
Firecrackers go out on sale for New Years Eve 16 hr God is on my side 2
Waipio Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web