Isle housing bottom seen - Business

Isle housing bottom seen - Business

There are 62104 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 3, 2009, titled Isle housing bottom seen - Business. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The worst could be over for Oahu's slumping housing market even though slower conditions are expected to persist until there is better economic news in the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54924 Mar 4, 2013
hey Hairy...go FK your dog.

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#54925 Mar 4, 2013
Guru wrote:
JB- got it!
https://www.google.com/search...
man....you can make some serious cash on this business there. If you can find the rock to crack. Just make them blocks, edging etc in the shape as you see in Home Deport/Lowes- etc. Garden edgers with this would be fantastic! Key is to get the rock and not chop up the whole island!
thanks again!
I don't have any plans of selling it, it's just too labor intensive to be worthwhile. Old Honolulu has sidewalk curbings cut like this, if you notice that kind of thing it's pretty cool to see. It must have taken hundreds of men all cutting at the same time, most likely for a dime a day. I don't see any fast way of doing this. I have a lot of rock, and the rock is pretty easy to move around with the backhoe, but I would just never be able to cut enough to make any money at it. Today, two young boys around ten came by and asked if I'd teach them to do it too. I guess the boy I taught told them it was fun to do, so tomorrow I'll probably start teaching them. A teacher also came by, took a look at what I'm doing, and said he'd like me to train around 80 of his eighth-grade students! I declined, it sounds too much like real work, and I'm just learning how do do it myself. I got interested in it after I had blasted some boulders out of the way a few months ago, and thought I had just wasted rocks when it's a valuable resource that should be put to use. Then I found out Honolulu has miles of curbs made this way.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#54926 Mar 4, 2013
Guru, more info for you. The curbing wasn't cut here at all. It is called "ballast block" curbing because it arrived here as ballast in ships, mostly Belgian granite from Europe. It was just natural to put it down as curbing set in the dirt because it was too heavy to wash away. Interesting, huh? Live and learn. I like mine better though, made from Hawaii Blue rock.
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#54927 Mar 4, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
Guru, more info for you. The curbing wasn't cut here at all. It is called "ballast block" curbing because it arrived here as ballast in ships, mostly Belgian granite from Europe. It was just natural to put it down as curbing set in the dirt because it was too heavy to wash away. Interesting, huh? Live and learn. I like mine better though, made from Hawaii Blue rock.
Very nice of you to display your ignorance for all of us to see. We should tether you to a rock and let you tell mistaken stories for coins.
Stumpy

Honolulu, HI

#54928 Mar 4, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> The "new" Stumpy is Harry, the great imposter. I stopped using that name at least a year ago.

Tell us more great story teller from the westside.
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54929 Mar 4, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
That is interesting JB. They knew what to do with good building materials. I save all kinds of materials like that too. No use wasting stuff like that. It is like the cobble stone roads in Europe. They tear them up now days there and use blacktop, and sell them here for people that tear out their driveways to put in used cobblestones. Granite lasts forever.

It is amazing if you go to Home Depot and Lowes now and walk thru the cement products section. Everything is being used over and over again, blocks made into pavers, Rumblestone, Venitian stone, Marseilles stone, etc., knockoffs to use in yards. The stuff is so cheap it is amazing. Must cost them a full penny to then sell it again as a cement edger, fake flagstone, etc. They are getting really good at it, just like the veneer stone like El Dorado stone, Coronado stone, etc. Stuff is just amazing.
http://www.eldoradostone.com/

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#54930 Mar 4, 2013
They make cool concrete countertops too, called Granicrete. Looks like granite. Lot of products that weren't arount when we grew up. Artificial lumber that doesn't rot, all sorts of concrete products, re-cycled plastic tools chests that take a beating, etc. Too bad they only sell limited stuff in Hawaii, I usually have to find the things I need on the internet. Those rock wedges I just bought had to be shipped from Vermont, no-one here even knew what they are. When I was towing I had my supplies shipped from Conneticutt and it was still cheaper than buying it here. I get so tired of having vendors tell me that something "isn't even made" when I can go online and have exactly what I want in two days.

“Sigma beta alpha rho kappa”

Since: Jan 13

Talkeetna, AK

#54931 Mar 4, 2013
Have you got nothing finer to accomplish, why do you not go allocute an inflated orb.
Or go behold a speculum and observe thine own self withering.
You depressed, dejected, exceedingly doleful, fatuous blockhead.
JBBBaloney

Mililani, HI

#54932 Mar 4, 2013
Guru wrote:
<quoted text>
That is interesting JB. They knew what to do with good building materials. I save all kinds of materials like that too. No use wasting stuff like that. It is like the cobble stone roads in Europe. They tear them up now days there and use blacktop, and sell them here for people that tear out their driveways to put in used cobblestones. Granite lasts forever.
It is amazing if you go to Home Depot and Lowes now and walk thru the cement products section. Everything is being used over and over again, blocks made into pavers, Rumblestone, Venitian stone, Marseilles stone, etc., knockoffs to use in yards. The stuff is so cheap it is amazing. Must cost them a full penny to then sell it again as a cement edger, fake flagstone, etc. They are getting really good at it, just like the veneer stone like El Dorado stone, Coronado stone, etc. Stuff is just amazing.
http://www.eldoradostone.com/
Next home project you should have Balls do it. Or maybe put him in charge of your 10,000 rentals? He is a out of work BROKEAZZ self proclaimed jack of all trades. He specializes in pathological liar commenting. Both you and JB make a great match. You both can have fun trying to out do each other on posting inaccurate, bullshyt predictions? Just pay Balls with food stamps and he will be happy. Balls the 2 faced azzhole posting countless accusations against entitlement scammers/liberals while feeding his family off drug addicts.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#54933 Mar 4, 2013
JBBBaloney wrote:
<quoted text>Balls the 2 faced azzhole posting countless accusations against entitlement scammers/liberals while feeding his family off drug addicts.
LOL, What else are they good for?
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54934 Mar 4, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> I don't have any plans of selling it, it's just too labor intensive to be worthwhile. Old Honolulu has sidewalk curbings cut like this, if you notice that kind of thing it's pretty cool to see. It must have taken hundreds of men all cutting at the same time, most likely for a dime a day. I don't see any fast way of doing this. I have a lot of rock, and the rock is pretty easy to move around with the backhoe, but I would just never be able to cut enough to make any money at it. Today, two young boys around ten came by and asked if I'd teach them to do it too. I guess the boy I taught told them it was fun to do, so tomorrow I'll probably start teaching them. A teacher also came by, took a look at what I'm doing, and said he'd like me to train around 80 of his eighth-grade students! I declined, it sounds too much like real work, and I'm just learning how do do it myself. I got interested in it after I had blasted some boulders out of the way a few months ago, and thought I had just wasted rocks when it's a valuable resource that should be put to use. Then I found out Honolulu has miles of curbs made this way.
That sounds great! I think you have discovered something that is a great asset to people. Sounds like a you have a bunch of free labor there! Pay 'em with some eats or knowledge. They would like that I am sure. Wish I were there, would love to see it and learn too. Maybe some day.

:))

yeah, I have seen the curbs around town and I think up in the hill section on the Kahala side maybe?? can't remember now. But they really looked great. Next time I will take some pictures of them for my files. Could be a great product for Home Depot. Hawaii has a lot of potts like that in Waimanalo/Kailua in their landscaping stores. Probably see in at Moss Rock?...Big Rock??...whatever the place is,...big green sign in the industrial area there (can't remember the name) also in Aeia? or around there. Right off the freeway. They do some great stuff there, do a lot of walls in the brown lava rock and the black lava rock is all over the Big Island...and they did all of that work at Ala Moana. You never know....could be something there for you.
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54935 Mar 4, 2013
JB,this the place : Big Rock
http://bigrockhawaii.com/

I am sure you have been in there many times...or driven past it. Great place!
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54936 Mar 4, 2013
STUDENT LOANS AFFECTING HOUSING...this could be something very real...
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100513344

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#54937 Mar 4, 2013
Guru wrote:
STUDENT LOANS AFFECTING HOUSING...this could be something very real...
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100513344
Man, I know kids that fell into the trap. Eighteen to Twenty-one years old now, and already have collection agencies after them, no credit, and can't find jobs, even in the medical field. I'm already paying the cellphone bill for a few of them in the hopes they'll find something. Obama has really screwed the pooch with his Obamanomics, he's fuckking up our country beyond hope. I hope we go to the Job Corps like in the thirties, fix the country and put men in work camps to repair our infrastructure. He'll be luck to escape tar & feathering once the people realize what he's done to us. His solution to every problem is to start wars and get our soldiers killed off. Typical democrat.
Leeward LOLO

Los Angeles, CA

#54938 Mar 5, 2013
Blah!
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54939 Mar 5, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> Man, I know kids that fell into the trap. Eighteen to Twenty-one years old now, and already have collection agencies after them, no credit, and can't find jobs, even in the medical field. I'm already paying the cellphone bill for a few of them in the hopes they'll find something. Obama has really screwed the pooch with his Obamanomics, he's fuckking up our country beyond hope. I hope we go to the Job Corps like in the thirties, fix the country and put men in work camps to repair our infrastructure. He'll be luck to escape tar & feathering once the people realize what he's done to us. His solution to every problem is to start wars and get our soldiers killed off. Typical democrat.
...when in trouble start a war to get people to forget what is happening to them. I would bypass college unless I had a plan to be able to earn good money in a good job that has a future.

Now days they give the college access to illegals (here) at reduced or free tuition, and then you can't get a job unless you speak spanish fluently in many cases. So right there you are screwed. our own citizens can't get work, the system is all geared for the third world people who are here on the lam. That system will fail and is well on the way.

It seems the fix is in to take this country down. The last transfer of wealth happened and took out jobs, pensions, savings, homes, and people's futures. Now the future of these kids is sealed in many cases, which contributes to the ruin of this country. The cards have been dealt. It is a sure thing now for many.

This can still be beaten on an individual basis is you have some moxy about you. Start a small business and get it right, then hire others to magnify your leverage in production. A small landscaping business is hard work but can expand. Find anything that people need that saves them time. A mobile shredding company works. If I were starting over I would get three people and buy through sweat a small 4 unit building and live/fix it up while still working at a small job. Make it nice, then trade up. Repeat the process. Do one a year. After five years you will be living free, and have an income that is greater than any job. A 4 unit will grow into 8, then 16, then 24, then 40 very quickly. After 5 years, do one more, and you are at about 50-60 units. Then you are on your way to your own business and will be good at doing this. You will have a place to live for free, and have about 15 units of cash flow each month. That would be easy $150K per year, and probably more than $200K. 10 more years of that, and another 3 flips and you are at retirement. Total work life is perhaps 5 years for someone else, and 10 for yourself. Well before that is ceases to be work and it becomes automatic. At 35 you are free to do anything you want, actually far before that.

The first 5 years define the whole process. You help each other, expand, grow and get good at it. Then you are in orbit. From that point on you watch you friends run the hamster wheel of hope for the next 30 years while you grow and they struggle and never get ahead by working for someone else and run faster and faster to stay employed in an increasingly chaotic world. Big difference. You have financial independence, they don't and probably never will.

The hardest part is seeing this at a young age. But this model is being done by others in various businesses. Google, Facebook, etc. is this model, but I would avoid that now. The key is to keep it simple. real estate is simple, but not easy. And you can do it anywhere. If I were a 20 something now, that is what I would do. Because it works.
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54940 Mar 5, 2013
hey JB, lolo....have you ever had Majesty palms?
Leeward LOLO

Mililani, HI

#54941 Mar 5, 2013
Guru wrote:
Sure especially when we have Tea Baggers circle jerks. There is no majesty using your own palms better using somebody else's. You should know that you call yourself GURU.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#54942 Mar 5, 2013
Guru wrote:
I must have seen them somewhere, but they all look alike to me. They would have to have been imported because Hawaii has only native Palm, and it doesn't look anything like the pictures. LOL, You see pictures of Palms in every picture postcard of Hawaii, and they aren't even Hawaiian.
Guru

Canyon Country, CA

#54943 Mar 5, 2013
getting close...

WAR DRUMS: KERRY WARNS IRAN ON BRINK...
'Challenging moment with great risks'...
Obama 'not bluffing' over military threat...
Netanyahu:'Red line'...
TOP GENERAL: Nuclear Iran will trigger arms race in Middle East...
Kissinger: Nuke crisis close...

Clock Runs..."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 11 min Nun Komposmentys 2,425
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) 11 min Princess Hey 731
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 12 min Princess Hey 638
Thanks to Trump's tough talk and bold leadership 5 hr American_Infidel 12
Wut Da Fuh? 8 hr District 1 56
Liberals Hate Free Speech 8 hr Joe Balls 19
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 9 hr District 1 4,553

Waipio Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance