Remembering Hawaii in the 70ís and 80ís
Ray

Finland

#3602 Apr 6, 2013
In 1987 I had a great one year on Oahu!
I wonder why only 1yr? I guess the cards I was delt?
Anyhow, one time me and my pal Harvey were gonna buy a limo....heh!
We took that $500 old Caddy for a spin, after buying it......if?
We had a plan that he as a Hawaiian
would be the driver and I would act as a customer and we would take tourists
from Waikiki to Hanauma Bay and back for $5 OW, then when paying I'd leave
a tip that everyone would see, so that they too would tip (us both)
He would be wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a driver's hat of some kind.....heh,heh!
Well, we never bought that Caddy because it started over heating after few minutes
and neither of us knew anything about cars and how to fix 'em!
What ever happens.......it's all ment to be!
During that year I did buy an old -76? Ford Mustang for $700,
She was a great pony with no problems at all, as far as I can remember?
Then when I left after a year I sold it to another bud Steve for $150!
Mahalo
P.S. I also had 3 Magnum P.I. Hawaii shirts with wooden buttons,
White, Black and Red!
Ray

Finland

#3603 Apr 6, 2013
Also.......I came back to Hawaii for 2 months in -94!
Back then I worked shortly for a company that rented out
Ferraris and other exotics, I got to drive 'em too,
like on Like Like Hwy when taking them to a mechanic n' stuff!
Hawaii has been good to me like all of America!
I kinda had too great times all over there,
From Sea To Shining Sea......I'll never forget how great it all felt
or any of you!

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3604 Apr 6, 2013
Ray wrote:
In 1987 I had a great one year on Oahu!
I wonder why only 1yr? I guess the cards I was delt?
Anyhow, one time me and my pal Harvey were gonna buy a limo....heh!
We took that $500 old Caddy for a spin, after buying it......if?
We had a plan that he as a Hawaiian
would be the driver and I would act as a customer and we would take tourists
from Waikiki to Hanauma Bay and back for $5 OW, then when paying I'd leave
a tip that everyone would see, so that they too would tip (us both)
Was that Caddy a gray Fleetwood Limo? If so, you bought it from me. I told the buyer it had a problem but he said he'd fix it before using it.
Flashback54

Honolulu, HI

#3605 May 4, 2013
Does anybody remember the name of that local tv show on Saturday mornings with two Japanese girls dressed in space uniforms in a cheesy spaceship that had local kids come on to their spaceship?one girl was tall the other short and they played cartoons and had their guest show off their talents...idk the name of that show and its killing me...also remember captain POW?

Since: May 13

Issaquah, WA

#3606 May 14, 2013
At the Club Arirang there was a manager or owner named Toni would you have known her maybe
memorylane

Claremore, OK

#3607 May 24, 2013
Does anyone remember "klunka's", possibly a wooden sandal shoe like Dr. Schol's that had tropical designs hand painted on the heel??
My mom came home between 79-81 with some from who knows where on the island and I would give my eyeteeth to find out where they originated from and to have some again!
Gil

Kailua Kona, HI

#3608 May 28, 2013
Did you ever think that the ukulele would become so popular?

Since: Apr 12

San Francisco, CA

#3609 May 29, 2013
Gil wrote:
"MY- DOG -HAS- FLEAS"
Mrs. Distaho's music class...I couldn't play the thing to save my life,
I disgracefully flunked the assignment!(I'm from a family of musicians)

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3610 May 29, 2013
Gil wrote:
No, it's not even Hawaiian.
Guru

Phoenix, AZ

#3611 May 29, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> No, it's not even Hawaiian.
So what tough guy. Neither are you!
memorylane

Claremore, OK

#3612 May 30, 2013
love my kids wrote:
Famalore's? Remember the wave of rubber on the heal?
Men wore Italian horn pendants, with the top shirt buttons open.
I don't recall those but I do recall the ones with a hole in the middle of the high heel and how at the tow, it was bent upwards to it was like you were jetting off the pavement with each step, LOL!
I'm dying to find some "klunka's" or "klonka's". My mom came home with a couple of pairs that were soooo gorgeous with their tropical painted designs on the wood of the heel.
Any chance you know of these? Seems like every other fashion item has come full circle since 80-82 when I had those but not them unless they never were on the mainland (where it sucks to be me now!)?
memorylane

Claremore, OK

#3613 May 30, 2013
Kamipulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Roller World, Mililani Skate Palace,Waiki street skating, Skateland & Skateworld.
O.M.G!!!!!!! Mililani Skate Palace is likely the place I had my mom take me every Saturday!! I had a HUGE crush on a guy name Kai but of course, as an ugly howlee, nawwwww!!!
memorylane

Claremore, OK

#3614 May 30, 2013
Kamipulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Juice in the wax containers
Pixy Stix
Sugar Daddy
Sugar Babies
Bubble Gum Cigarettes
Charms Assorted Squares
Chick O Stick
I still have 3 K-tel cassettes I bought with babysitting money when I live on Schofield Barracks. I will NEVER part with them!(Even tho I have of course gotten mp3's of all the songs on them for my mp3 player which was a SONY WALKMAN back then!!)
memorylane

Claremore, OK

#3615 May 31, 2013
Reminiscing wrote:
<quoted text>
My mom use to get pissed off when we use to leave the jacks in the shag carpet. She'd step on it and start screaming, "damn jagazzes, leaving this damn crap all over the place." LOL. I also remember when my mom threw our jacks away we used rocks with the golf ball. Once again, we'd forget to put our "homemade" jacks away, and she'd step on it....again. It got to the point she just started pulling our hair. Oh well, it's great to talk about it and laugh, but at the time, it was no laughing matter when you was getting lickins. LOL
So then someone came up with the idea of CHINESE JACKS!!!!! I had dozens and dozens of those and made handfuls of the "clumps" to emanate playing jacks. Here is a link to what they looked like:
http://justfrances.com/chinese-jacks
Watch out tho! If you decide you wanna restart a collection, there are a few people out there making a crappy version of them so that you cannot change the colors out and rearrange them. The real and originals I got hooked on in about 80 or 81 were much like how you would put a key on a keychain.
memorylane

Claremore, OK

#3616 May 31, 2013
And now I am here all alone talking to myself wishing someone would give up 3 places anywhere on Oahu. But then again, wishing and dreaming of being there again does nothing but make me sad and miserable....Blah!!

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3617 May 31, 2013
memorylane wrote:
And now I am here all alone talking to myself wishing someone would give up 3 places anywhere on Oahu. But then again, wishing and dreaming of being there again does nothing but make me sad and miserable....Blah!!
3 places? What for?
memorylane

Claremore, OK

#3618 Jun 2, 2013
Myself and my two sons...
Leeward lolo

Phoenix, AZ

#3619 Jun 2, 2013
Careful Joey is looking for more people to enslave in his no paying taxes business.

If you have infections you are very hireable to the joey.
Charon

Torrance, CA

#3620 Jun 2, 2013
Too bad HIV caught up with the brother.

Joe Balls

Location hidden

#3621 Jun 2, 2013
memorylane wrote:
Myself and my two sons...
So you come here, buy one place, start a small business, fix the house up, buy another place, fix it up, buy another place fix it up. DONE! Once you get to know people, they will help you. Don't hang out with loozers that smoke dope all day, get in with people that don't mind working. A lot of local people do nothing for themselves, yet complain about what other people have. They grew up on welfare for the last thirty of forty years and will be on welfare and living on what we throw away when the world ends. Don't listen to them, they don't even count. If you have a skill, put it to use. I built my own house and I didn't even own a hammer when I started. I got in with people that knew how to do things and spent my money on equipment that they didn't have. I helped them in certain areas, and they helped me. If you can do anything with your hands, you are a useful person. If you're a computer geek, you are pretty much a dime a dozen and useless at this point in time. If you are a carpenter, plumber, electrician, or anything close, you are GOLD. same with construction skills. You can barter yourself right into a nice place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waipio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do Filipinos consider themselves as Pacific... (Oct '08) 3 hr Warrior 555
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 5 hr District 1 2,705
Preacher Jim (Feb '11) 5 hr Goldie Locks 4 633
The Muslim World is Broken (Sep '15) 18 hr FBI Dirty - Trump... 939
Liberal media bias is real 18 hr FBI Dirty - Trump... 10
unregistered district 1 is my bitch_ watch him ... (Oct '15) Sat District 1 95
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) Sat Princess Hey 916

Waipio Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance